Texas State fires Everett Withers - Jake Spavital WVU OC hired

Machinator

Withers was at Texas and Ohio State with Herman......

WITHERS

1998-2000........  Texas DB Coach

2012-2013........  Ohio State (AHC/Co-DC/S)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HERMAN

1999-2000........ Texas GA

2012-2014......... Ohio State (OC/QB)

23 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Baliff did it before he went to Rice. They were FCS or what was known as D-1AA back then. Then I think Coach Fran came back after that.

You forgot the legendary Brad Wright, who had a couple of decent years, but openly feuded with Teis, got fired after four season, and immediately took a job at 3A Wharton High School.

• Fuck You 1

it is not "shocking" that this did not work out, but it is pretty surprising how bad he was at Texas State

I watched some of their games on the picture box especially last year and they would play really well and be in the game then suddenly something would just go to shit and they were losing and had no chance to come back

it looked like early this year they played decent some games and then same story just lost it then got blown out a few and then tried to fight and now it seems they know they are done for

I still think they were too hard on Fran they just did not realize how hard it was to move up, move conferences and recruit being the latest move up to D1-A in Texas and there were always those that looked at what Fran did at aggy and tried to claim he could just never coach worth a shit while ignoring a lot of his past and ignoring the type of shit he walked into at the past places he had coached

I will say I think Fran got a bit tired of their shit his last year there and might not have been putting in the full effort.....I think part of that was the fact that he got them to 6 wins and 7 wins and did not get a bowl game either of those seasons, but he was still taking shit from the fans (and possibly the administration)

at a place like Texas is is easy to say "fuck the Bandag Retread Tire Bowl", but at Texas State getting to a bowl and having that practice, that exposure and something to show fans and recruits and the possibility for a 7 or 8 win season those years actually means something especially when Rice, UTEP, north Texas state and others were in the total shitter those years.......but The SunBelt and Texas State could just not get them in one and yet still acted like Fran could be doing a lot better for them

33 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

it is not "shocking" that this did not work out, but it is pretty surprising how bad he was at Texas State

I watched some of their games on the picture box especially last year and they would play really well and be in the game then suddenly something would just go to shit and they were losing and had no chance to come back

it looked like early this year they played decent some games and then same story just lost it then got blown out a few and then tried to fight and now it seems they know they are done for

I still think they were too hard on Fran ...

Who is "they" in this sentence?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Ain't no sunshine when Everett's gone
It's not warm when he's away
Ain't no sunshine when he's gone
And he's always gone too long
Anytime he goes away

Wonder this time where he's gone
Wonder if Everett's gone to stay
And this Bobcat Stadium just ain't no home
Anytime he goes away

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ButtFumble said:

a large vocal number of Texas State fans

Lol.  "Large vocal number of Texas State fans."  That's funny.  That's JT and five other guys.

Fran was great for a couple of years.  Then he Mack Browned it and just quit trying.  The roster was a complete disaster when he finally resigned.  

Withers really didn't have a chance with what he started with.

The parallels between Fran/Withers and Mack/Strong are eerie.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

12 hours ago, DeadArmadillo said:

Ain't no sunshine when Everett's gone
It's not warm when he's away
And he's always gone too long
Anytime he goes away

Wonder this time where he's gone
Wonder if Everett's gone to stay
And this Bobcat Stadium just ain't no home
Anytime he goes away

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I know.  I know.  I know. I know. I know. I know. I know.  I know. I know.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/18/2018 at 4:07 PM, Nueces River Rat said:

Baliff did it before he went to Rice. They were FCS or what was known as D-1AA back then. Then I think Coach Fran came back after that.

Wright was in between Baliff and Fran.

And I think they should go back to FCS. But how many teams have ever done that backwards move? 1 - Idaho this year, and that was the best decision they could make. They also had no place being in FBS.

1 hour ago, relapse98 said:

And I think they should go back to FCS. But how many teams have ever done that backwards move? 1 - Idaho this year, and that was the best decision they could make. They also had no place being in FBS.

Meh Idaho isn't doing anything special in the Big Sky this year.

He came over from JMU where he had got some pub and had recruited really well and got them back to the FCS playoffs twice.  Since he left, JMU hired The Citadel's coach and been to the playoffs all 3 years including back to back Championships, winning one.  Wonder if he'll regret making the move.  Sometimes taking a "promotion" isn't the right move if the situation is bad.  Texas State is rumored to be a shitshow.  The AD story won't help....

On 11/18/2018 at 4:32 PM, Beau Vine said:

You forgot the legendary Brad Wright, who had a couple of decent years, but openly feuded with Teis, got fired after four season, and immediately took a job at 3A Wharton High School.

Well, at the time, 29-3A was a very competitive district

Coaching job profile: Pluses and minuses of the Texas State opening

Coaching job profile: Pluses and minuses of the Texas State opening

GettyImages-1030044786-1024x683.jpg
By Chris Vannini  Nov 20, 2018comment-icon@2x.png 19 save-icon@2x.png

When there’s a football job open in Texas, it’s going to draw a lot of attention. That’s the case in San Marcos now with the Texas State head coaching vacancy.

Everett Withers arrived in 2016 and attempted a full overhaul of the program. He needed time, but little progress was shown though three years. He went 2-10, 2-10 and 3-8, and patience ran out.

Texas State has been playing football since 1904, but it’s only been at the FBS level since 2012. Under Dennis Franchione, the team went 6-6 in 2013 and 7-5 the next year, but it has never made a bowl game, and it has won only 10 games the past four years.

How good is the Texas State job? What kind of name can the Bobcats land? Here are some factors to keep in mind.

Are ties to Texas a must?

Withers arrived with few connections in the state. While he did coach Texas’ defensive backs from 1998-2000, he hadn’t coached near the state since and most recently had been the head coach of James Madison, an FCS school in Virginia.

Only nine players on the Texas State roster are from outside Texas, and some of them are transfers. The next coach may need deep relationships in the state. It was a big factor in Sonny Dykes getting the SMU job, and Major Applewhite became Houston coach in part because of strong support from high school coaches. There are plenty of people within the state who will jockey for the job through their relationships.

How much is Texas State willing to pay?

Withers was paid a $700,000 salary, which was in the middle of the Sun Belt, but only $150,000 behind the highest-paid coach (Louisiana Lafayette’s Billy Napier). Among Group of 5 conferences, only the MAC pays lower, and there aren’t expected to be many Sun Belt or MAC job openings.

Withers’ salary was tied with UTEP’s Dana Dimel as the lowest among FBS schools in Texas. The next closest is Frank Wilson’s $1.1 million at UTSA. Will the Bobcats pay up to compete with the rest of the state, even if in a different league?

The facilities are decent, but it’s all relative

Bobcat Stadium is a solid 30,000-seat on-campus stadium for Texas State’s level. An end zone complex opened in 2002 and includes meeting rooms, a strength and conditioning room and more.

But this is Texas. There are high schools with better facilities than some Group of 5 schools. Players notice that. Texas State doesn’t have an indoor practice field, while many high schools in the state do. SMU and North Texas have indoor plans on the way. There is work to be done.

There’s a lot of potential for this job.

Any job in Texas has the opportunity for success. Texas State has 38,000 students. It’s a big school in a fertile recruiting area. People in college athletics feel the ceiling is high there. It also helps to be in the Sun Belt, which is more winnable than Conference USA. This should be one of the better jobs in the league. But the flip side is that the Sun Belt can also be a tougher sell to Texas recruits.

So what names could get in the mix?

Let’s start with some current head coaches. Incarnate Word head coach Eric Morris led the Cardinals to a share of the Southland Conference championship and an FCS playoff berth in his first season, just down the road in San Antonio. He’s a former Texas Tech receiver and assistant and would bring an Air Raid attack. Texas A&M-Commerce head coach Colby Carthel is 57-17 in six years and won the Division II national championship a year ago. Current Sam Houston State head coach K.C. Keeler had four consecutive seasons of at least 11 wins before going 6-5 this year.

Among current assistants, West Virginia offensive coordinator Jake Spavital has ties to the area and is a former Texas A&M assistant. Ole Miss offensive coordinator Phil Longo has produced an explosive offense there and previously directed the top offense in the FCS at Sam Houston State. Texas special teams coordinator Craig Naivar was a Texas State assistant from 2004-06 and 2011-13, and Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington was a Texas State assistant from 2004-06 and 2011-14. North Texas offensive coordinator Graham Harrell is rising in the coaching ranks, but he might stay in Denton if Seth Littrell leaves for another job.

Some recently fired coaches’ names have also come up. Former Kansas coach David Beaty and former Bowling Green coach Mike Jinks are both former Texas high school coaches with deep ties in the state, but they might be a tough sell coming off poor head coaching experiences.

There will be plenty of options for this job. We’ll see where the Bobcats go.

Other profiles: Bowling GreenColoradoLouisvilleMaryland

(Photo: John Rivera / Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Edited by 4th and 5

12 hours ago, relapse98 said:

I doubt a backwards move would help in any of their sports.   You don't see  many schools with 30,000 students in FCS football.  Besides they are in Texas which is ground zero for recruting football talent where as Idaho is a great place to spend times outdoors or on the slopes... but that's about it.  Oh and Boise State gets all the love up there..... Let's not forget about that.   

When they were FCS in the Southland, they couldn't win the conference nor advance to the playoffs even as an at-large entry on a consistent basis.  I think they might have done it once or twice since they moved up to D1-AA from DII back in the 80's.   Same thing with their other sports.  Sam Houston was and still is the baseball power in the SLC and SFA has the basketball market cornered.    Texas State was never in the conversation in those sports in the SLC.    They make a good schedule filler for UT and other D1 programs in Texas since it's a relatively short and inexpenisve trip for them to come take a beating on the court and diamond up in Austin, Collie Station, Waco, etc.   

The problem appears to be more of an institutional one where athletics takes a low priority.   It will probably take a few changes in leadership positions to get Texas State on the right path.   It's really puzziling because the school has done well to transform itself since the name change from the party school image and the city itself has transformed as well.  

• immamac changed the title to Texas State fires Everett Withers - Jake Spavital WVU OC hired