Android Thread

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

For better or worse, I have used a cache cleaner on Android for years.  It annoys me to see free storage just vanish/decrease for no apparent reason.

The latest variant I have been using is CCleaner.  I had it on my phone and the phone upgraded to 10, and it still works fully, cleaning each app's cache individually (showing the app info screen along the way).

I got a surprise upgrade to 10 on my tablet, and it won't do the individual app cache cleaning anymore.  Neither will any of the various others that I have tried.

I know google screws around with this kind of thing and Dalvik cache wiping is no longer a thing.  Will garbage collection on Android eventually clean this shit up or do I have to just wait until it gets distressingly full and do it app by app?

I think googles Files app will do it for all the apps but not automatically. It will warm you when space is low though. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Viper said:

I think googles Files app will do it for all the apps but not automatically. It will warm you when space is low though. 

I don't care about automatically.  But no, it doesn't.

I guess it doesn't matter, I'm a bit of a lunatic about keeping a clean drive on my devices, even when I've got scads of storage left.

Over the years, the cache cleaners have cleaned individual cache "silently," or lately "noisily" (showing each app), but not at all is a new thing.  Hell, for years you could clean all the app caches from the native "Storage" setting in Android.  I'm just baffled that it will do it on my phone but not my tablet.  

The cleaners is the age old debates for Android. So many say they work and so many say you don't need one for Android as it takes care of this on its own. 

I clear the cache manually. I hate how the later versions of Android now make you have to clear it one by one as in the past, you used to be able to clear it all at once. The cleaners I used in the past had way too many fucking ads and so much extra going on with it to where I saw it more of a nuisance than good. I use CCleaner for my laptop but have not used it on my phone.

I know cache is not bad but I have found some apps build up the cache much quicker i.e. social media apps. And if any app is giving me issues and gets laggy, I find clearing the cache helps a lot. 

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

The cleaners is the age old debates for Android. So many say they work and so many say you don't need one for Android as it takes care of this on its own. 

I clear the cache manually. I hate how the later versions of Android now make you have to clear it one by one as in the past, you used to be able to clear it all at once. The cleaners I used in the past had way too many fucking ads and so much extra going on with it to where I saw it more of a nuisance than good. I use CCleaner for my laptop but have not used it on my phone.

I know cache is not bad but I have found some apps build up the cache much quicker i.e. social media apps. And if any app is giving me issues and gets laggy, I find clearing the cache helps a lot. 

I think really the bigger controversy was task killers.  There doesn't seem to be any need for them and they can make things run wonky.  Cache does take up storage and eventually that's going to have some impact on memory management.

I don't do social media, but it's alarming after a couple of weeks how much crap collects.  Video and music apps tend to collect a lot of crap, too.  My storage will go down 5-10% in that time.  I don't know if it keeps "expanding" at that rate, because I have always cleaned, but now I can't on my tablet, except one at a time.  It's not that big a deal on the tablet because it is almost entirely an ebook reader, but I have the kindle app on it and that collects a fair amount of crap, too.  If CCleaner stops working on "hidden cache" on my phone, then I guess I'm going to find out what happens when cache grows unabated.

It's been awhile since I kept up with android coding but I know there are two types of cache: apps cache and system cache. The system cache was Dalvik but I think Android uses a different type of caching now. Probably wrong.

Anyway, I thought you had to clear cache apps individually. The system cache, you do that by booting into recovery and clearing cache there.

For clearing app caches, go into Settings/Apps. You should then be able to Sort by Size. Then click on the app, go to Storage and clear cache. It's painful but I don't know of a better way to do it. If there is a default cache cleaner, I would think it would clear all cache including your downloaded content on Youtube, Spotify, etc. Doing it app by app prevents deleting downloaded content.

• Hook 'Em 1

Nevermind, forget everything I said about settings/app for cache. Sorting only shows App + Data size. Cache is not calculated for sizing of app in Sorting.

Edit: Also downloaded content is save as Data and not Cache. So yea I am totally wrong. 

Edited by crash_davis

I'm just baffled that CCleaner will clean the hidden/app caches on my phone but not on my tablet.  Both are Android 10 and both are the lenovo/motorola variant, which is pretty clean Android. The tablet does have a Mediatek processor.  It could be that CCleaner was installed on the phone on Android 9 and so retains some kind of permission necessary to clean app caches.  On the tablet, it acts like cleaning hidden/app caches is possible using the paid version.

• 4 weeks later...

Welp. the Moto G7 I got about 18 months ago has developed what appears to be battery swelling.  The display/digitizer is separating from the lip of the case.  The way it doesn't "push back down" indicates to me that the battery has swollen or something has.

So, any recs for replacement cheapass phones?  Competitors seem to be the 2020 Moto G Power and the 2021 OnePlus Nord 100.  The '21 moto g seems to be a universal downgrade and the Nord seems to be a slight upgrade in screen.

I would need a really compelling reason to pay more than $200.  5G is not compelling.  A camera that cannot function as a Scanning Electron Microscope or an interstellar radio telescope is not a compelling reason.

Welp, did the moto again, reason being Snapdragon 460 v 665.  Not a huge difference but a few fewer flies.  Oddly, the moto g 2021 dropped to the 460 also.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Well, the moto g power (2020) came today and it has a few improvements over the g7.  Also a bit thicker, because 5000mAh battery.

But, I learned that I had a few "hangover" functions from Android 9 on the g7 that went away on this native 10 device.  Namely, the inability of free ccleaner to do "deep cleaning" of individual app caches.  Also, I had forgotten that I had implemented Motorola's one button navigation that is, by most accounts, superior to Googles.  It stuck around through the upgrade to 10 and the removal of the function from the Motorola apps.  So, with Nova, I can't have it and not sure I want Google's version anyway.  I also don't get "clear all" on the recent apps screen.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 12:32 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Welp. the Moto G7 I got about 18 months ago has developed what appears to be battery swelling.  The display/digitizer is separating from the lip of the case.  The way it doesn't "push back down" indicates to me that the battery has swollen or something has.

So, any recs for replacement cheapass phones?  Competitors seem to be the 2020 Moto G Power and the 2021 OnePlus Nord 100.  The '21 moto g seems to be a universal downgrade and the Nord seems to be a slight upgrade in screen.

I would need a really compelling reason to pay more than $200.  5G is not compelling.  A camera that cannot function as a Scanning Electron Microscope or an interstellar radio telescope is not a compelling reason.

Welp, did the moto again, reason being Snapdragon 460 v 665.  Not a huge difference but a few fewer flies.  Oddly, the moto g 2021 dropped to the 460 also.

are you on TMO? they are giving away a FREE 5G samsung phone if you trade in any working mobile phone. they mean, ANY working mobile phone. people are trading in old flip phones from the early 90s. one dude on reddit traded in one of the first mobile phones with the big ass case and handset. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, crash_davis said:

are you on TMO? they are giving away a FREE 5G samsung phone if you trade in any working mobile phone. they mean, ANY working mobile phone. people are trading in old flip phones from the early 90s. one dude on reddit traded in one of the first mobile phones with the big ass case and handset. 

Kind of.  Sprint legacy customer.  Wasn't aware of that.  A51?  I'm not sure I would like going back to TouchWiz much.  Looks like it's an A32, not bad specs, but a MediaTek processor.  Don't know much about them.

I'm really content with the motorola phones.  It's a pretty clean Android, and what they do have overlaid is actually pretty cool (chop for flashlight, twist for camera, a couple of other little things).

And, it was really nice having the old one give up the ghost (actually still works fine but I suppose a bit of a time bomb) after 18 months and not being very mad about it or the cost of replacement.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Kind of.  Sprint legacy customer.  Wasn't aware of that.  A51?  I'm not sure I would like going back to TouchWiz much.  Looks like it's an A32, not bad specs, but a MediaTek processor.  Don't know much about them.

I'm really content with the motorola phones.  It's a pretty clean Android, and what they do have overlaid is actually pretty cool (chop for flashlight, twist for camera, a couple of other little things).

And, it was really nice having the old one give up the ghost (actually still works fine but I suppose a bit of a time bomb) after 18 months and not being very mad about it or the cost of replacement.

Samsung OS has come a long way. It's no longer a hot mess. They still throw in a ton of stuff, but as a whole it's ok, dare I say even enjoyable, to use. I have a Oneplus 6T and Oxygen OS is absolutely the best Android OS that I've ever used. I like it even better than stock Pixel OS. As my daily driver, I switch between a Samsung S20 FE 5G and the Oneplus 6T. I don't complain at all going from Oxygen to Samsung.

In any case, the Samsung A32 is a FREE phone. Specs look crappy but this day and age, I don't think it'll be that noticeable, if even. I see no lag or noticeable difference between my 6T and S20. Processors have long surpassed the use case of phones. We haven't changed how we use our phones but the processors are now laptop/computer level good. The A32 Mediatek chip isn't going to set any benchmark records but I'd guess most people will not complain about usage unless they are nitpicking. I have a Mediatek chip in my Samsung S6 Lite tablet. I see no performance or lag issues. Works just as well as the flagship Snapdragons on the 6T and S20.

I'm going to trade in an old Iphone 5 for the A32 5G phone. I have free lines from TMO and am going to use the free 5G phone as a hotspot for my laptop when I'm away from the house. 

Edited by crash_davis

15 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Samsung OS has come a long way. It's no longer a hot mess. They still throw in a ton of stuff, but as a whole it's ok, dare I say even enjoyable, to use. I have a Oneplus 6T and Oxygen OS is absolutely the best Android OS that I've ever used. I like it even better than stock Pixel OS. As my daily driver, I switch between a Samsung S20 FE 5G and the Oneplus 6T. I don't complain at all going from Oxygen to Samsung.

In any case, the Samsung A32 is a FREE phone. Specs look crappy but this day and age, I don't think it'll be that noticeable, if even. I see no lag or noticeable difference between my 6T and S20. Processors have long surpassed the use case of phones. We haven't changed how we use our phones but the processors are now laptop/computer level good. The A32 Mediatek chip isn't going to set any benchmark records but I'd guess most people will not complain about usage unless they are nitpicking. I have a Mediatek chip in my Samsung S6 Lite tablet. I see no performance or lag issues. Works just as well as the flagship Snapdragons on the 6T and S20.

I'm going to trade in an old Iphone 5 for the A32 5G phone. I have free lines from TMO and am going to use the free 5G phone as a hotspot for my laptop when I'm away from the house. 

Yeah, given what I'm used to, that seems like it would be an entirely satisfactory phone.  The MT compares well with the mid-tier snapdragons.

However, I looked at the offer and it seems to require switching and/or adding a new line of service, which is probably a no-go for me.

One thing, I always enable developer options and turn off the native animations.  Before I did that on this phone (moto G power), I could possibly see how it might get laggy over time.  With them off, it and its predecessor were entirely usable.  I have always done that, so it's an apples-to-apples comparison with my past premium phones.

I do have to say that I am vaguely annoyed with a couple of the conflicts between Android 10 and Nova Launcher.  As mentioned above, the moto overlay (one button nav and some other things), plus having upgraded the old phone from 9 to 10 and keeping some of those functions somehow, made the conflicts less noticeable.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I just got upgraded to A11 on my Moto G Power.

On a positive note, it brought "clear all" back on Nova on the "show apps" button.  Gesture navigation still sucks balls.

Weirdness, though.  When I get a voicemail, i get notifications from both the phone app (google dialer) and TMo VVM.  The phone notification is more persistent and only lets me dial VM.  I would like to turn them off.  But all the notifications on the phone app seem to be greyed out.

• 1 month later...

My wife's company is no longer going to give them phones, they're just going to give her $90/mo to get her own work phone. She wants to port her work number to google voice and just use her personal phone (Galaxy S21) to take calls/texts on the work number. We looked at the GV page and it seems you can pay $20 and port the number over and that's it, no further costs. It seems too good to be true. What app would she use to make/receive work calls? Hangouts? And what about texts? I can't seem to find any specific answers. 

42 minutes ago, Sandman said:

My wife's company is no longer going to give them phones, they're just going to give her $90/mo to get her own work phone. She wants to port her work number to google voice and just use her personal phone (Galaxy S21) to take calls/texts on the work number. We looked at the GV page and it seems you can pay $20 and port the number over and that's it, no further costs. It seems too good to be true. What app would she use to make/receive work calls? Hangouts? And what about texts? I can't seem to find any specific answers. 

I do this but use it as my main personal number. I got it way back when phone carriers used to charge you money for texting. You're correct, there's no cost other than the porting of the number, You have some options regarding calls. Hangouts is going away, so you can use the Google Voice app for SMS and Phone calls. However you can also forward them to your personal phone number and just answer them like a regular phone call, though it might be harder to tell if it's a call to your work or personal number. There's an option to have the caller ID show your Google Voice number incoming so you know it's a "work" call. However you don't have to limit it to one number to forward it to, you can forward it to multiple phones, like work land line, home land line, burner phone, etc. You can also set the phone app to make calls using the Voice number, or to ask which number to use before each call. Your wife may not want to do that given it's strictly for work, but it's an option. You can also make calls and send texts from your computers on the voice web page, https://voice.google.com/.

It works well for me, and I enjoy the automatic transcriptions of voice mails so I don't have to listen to them, I can just read what was said. 

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I think you need to own the number to be able to port it. If she pays for her work phone then that's fine. If the company is paying then she prob can't port it.

You would use Google Voice app to make and receive calls.

The company gave her the ID and password for the account, they're finewith her doing whatever. I think it'll work.

• 4 weeks later...

TMO is giving a free OnePlus N200 phone. All you need to do is trade in any working, screen undamaged, no water damaged phone, including old flip phones. You get 24 months of bill credits.

I traded in an old iPhone 5 that was sitting in a drawer for years.

I've been using it for a week. The phone costs about $250. Surprisingly or maybe unsurprisingly, it works great. Seriously I don't see much difference between this phone and my S20 or iphone 12. It has a damn nice 1080, 90 hz LCD panel. It's actually really nice and smooth. Only thing that sucks and it truly does is the camera. But I installed gcam and it's serviceable. 

I've been saying there's not much differences in phones. I'm seeing it now with this phone. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/15/2021 at 3:05 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Oneplus 8T is $200 off at Oneplus. Also about the same price on Amazon. Is this phone worth it? almost pulled the trigger on the Oneplus 7 last year but never did. I still don't know a whole lot about their brand/

Oneplus was an enthusiast phone. It was always the flagship phone at really good prices. Then they started charging flagship prices, acting like other OEMs (partnering with Facebook) and started to ignore updates. They lost their loyal following.

I have the 6T and LOVE it. I still use it switching between it and my new S21. The 6T is just as snappy as the S21. That's because Oneplus Oxygen OS is excellent. It's the best Android version of Android. 

From the reviews, everything about the phone is great (extremely fast charging, high refresh rate screen, great screen, top of the line processor for that year). The biggest knock on the 8T is the mediocre camera. There are phones at that price with better cameras, namely anything Samsung and Apple. There's always GCAM for the 8T which will improve the camera. I would get the 8T but not for $550.

Used on Swappa are going for <$300. That's a better price for that phone.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Oneplus was an enthusiast phone. It was always the flagship phone at really good prices. Then they started charging flagship prices, acting like other OEMs (partnering with Facebook) and started to ignore updates. They lost their loyal following.

I have the 6T and LOVE it. I still use it switching between it and my new S21. The 6T is just as snappy as the S21. That's because Oneplus Oxygen OS is excellent. It's the best Android version of Android. 

From the reviews, everything about the phone is great (extremely fast charging, high refresh rate screen, great screen, top of the line processor for that year). The biggest knock on the 8T is the mediocre camera. There are phones at that price with better cameras, namely anything Samsung and Apple. There's always GCAM for the 8T which will improve the camera. I would get the 8T but not for $550.

Used on Swappa are going for <$300. That's a better price for that phone.

Thanks for that. I don't really use my camera that much so that aspect would not deter me. But I have been reading that Oneplus has kind of steered away from the original motto (as most will over time). And they are now adding more bloatware to their lines of phones.

Do you recommend any other phones that are not Samsung? I vowed to never go back to that brand. I looked at the Google Pixel 4a and it is not that big of an upgrade from the phone I have now (Google Nexus 6). The 8T is a really big upgrade in any category. I think the 8T would be good to me for years. I am not one who buys phones a lot. 

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Thanks for that. I don't really use my camera that much so that aspect would not deter me. But I have been reading that Oneplus has kind of steered away from the original motto (as most will over time). And they are now adding more bloatware to their lines of phones.

Do you recommend any other phones that are not Samsung? I vowed to never go back to that brand. I looked at the Google Pixel 4a and it is not that big of an upgrade from the phone I have now (Google Nexus 6). The 8T is a really big upgrade in any category. I think the 8T would be good to me for years. I am not one who buys phones a lot. 

Oneplus does not have much bloat. There are a few Oneplus apps but unlike Sammie, you can uninstall. You will like Oxygen OS. 

Re bloat, if you are really concerned about bloat, Android allows you do uninstall or deactivate the apps/apks via ADB commands. I disabled a shitton of bloat on Sammie phones via ADB commands. It's system level commands so you can disable/uninstall apks which may break shit but you can always factory reset. There are tons of shit on the net on who to do it and which apps are safe.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Oneplus does not have much bloat. There are a few Oneplus apps but unlike Sammie, you can uninstall. You will like Oxygen OS. 

Re bloat, if you are really concerned about bloat, Android allows you do uninstall or deactivate the apps/apks via ADB commands. I disabled a shitton of bloat on Sammie phones via ADB commands. It's system level commands so you can disable/uninstall apks which may break shit but you can always factory reset. There are tons of shit on the net on who to do it and which apps are safe.

Got it! Thanks. I remember doing that on my Evo and Note 2 when I was rooted and heavy into customizing. I have not really did that in a long time so I need to back and learn all that. I prefer not to root to get into deep into the system configuration if I don't have to.

For the 8T, what price point would you suggest is a good deal? I am sure a good price might come about as the year closes and we near Black Friday/Cyber Monday/Christmas. I have looked on Swappa and the used ones. I don't mind used phones if they have no issues but it's hard to know that online, no matter what description they give. Don't want to be burned by a used phone that has issues.

I assume since you are looking at 8T that you are on TMO. 

You can get a Oneplus N200 for free if you trade in any phone that turns on, doesn't have water damage, and doesn't have any cracks on the screen. Any phone includes old as pre-internet flip phones. I got one for shits and giggles because I had an old Iphone 5S collecting dust. 

The N200 is good phone. The camera sucks ass. Gcam made is serviceable. The screen has 90hz refresh rate. Screen is actually really nice. Has somewhat of a small chin. I said it upthread, I can't find much difference between the N200 versus the flagships. Sometimes things take a fraction of a second slower to load but nothing that I would complain about. It's only 4G ram so some apps don't keep in memory if you have too many apps open but it's a nag, not an issue.

Re swappa, I've bought about 10 phones from swappa for me and other people. Never had an issue or bad transaction. All the used phones have been great. Just get a Good to Mint condition phone from a reputable reseller and you should be fine. You can see the pics of the phone that you are buying. I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a 8T. The only thing to worry about on used phones is how badly the person treated the battery. But for a year old phone, it can't be that bad.

48 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Anyone found an android tablet worth a shit? Never ran across one that performs and lasts like an iPad, and I'd love to find one.

Haven't researched it much but my understanding is that galaxy tabs are the only ones worth much.

You might try looking at a 2 in 1 Chromebook though. More functionality for similar price

22 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Got it! Thanks. I remember doing that on my Evo and Note 2 when I was rooted and heavy into customizing. I have not really did that in a long time so I need to back and learn all that. I prefer not to root to get into deep into the system configuration if I don't have to.

For the 8T, what price point would you suggest is a good deal? I am sure a good price might come about as the year closes and we near Black Friday/Cyber Monday/Christmas. I have looked on Swappa and the used ones. I don't mind used phones if they have no issues but it's hard to know that online, no matter what description they give. Don't want to be burned by a used phone that has issues.

Limited time, 7T is $199 through the Oneplus Store app. If you are still on the fence, that's the deal that I would get. From a real world perspective, there's prob very little difference between the 7T and the 8T.  If I didn't already have a gaggle of Android phones, I'd jump on this deal.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, MoJames said:

Anyone found an android tablet worth a shit? Never ran across one that performs and lasts like an iPad, and I'd love to find one.

Have a Sammie Tab S6 Lite. Last year I got it for $150 from a deal on Samsung site. For that price, it's an amazing tablet. The only complaint is the temporary LCD screen burn in. It's not OLED so the burn in isn't permanent. The burn is barely noticeable from app to app. Not a deal breaker but a nag. Not sure if other models have the same temp burn in issue.

Wife has 2018 Ipad Air. The Air is "better" but I hate Ipad OS. If you can use Ipad OS, I would wait for the new Ipads to come out. Hopefully they move past the 2011 design and get rid of the grotesque borders. If you can't then get a Sammie. 

The Lenovo P11 Pro is probably the other Android tablet that I would look at. The Pro is the "older" model but has the better processor. You can find the Chinese model on Aliexpress for cheaper. Just need to install the global OS version. But Lenovo absolutely sucks at updating the OS so you'll prob never get an OS upgrade/update. Something to consider.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/android-tablets/lenovo-tab-series/Lenovo-TB-J706/p/ZZITZTATB0J

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Limited time, 7T is $199 through the Oneplus Store app. If you are still on the fence, that's the deal that I would get. From a real world perspective, there's prob very little difference between the 7T and the 8T.  If I didn't already have a gaggle of Android phones, I'd jump on this deal.

Thanks! I will look into this. 

@rage-a-holic

I should have been more detailed.   It's stops at 7.   I wanted an 8 since I had a 6.   Currently Fi does not allow virtual sims.  So anything past 7 is a nogo

Edit: I went with  Pixel 5.   Pretty decent phone.  Will look at the new Pixel but would still rather go with a One 9 if it was possible

Edited by midtown
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/18/2021 at 7:56 PM, midtown said:

@rage-a-holic

I should have been more detailed.   It's stops at 7.   I wanted an 8 since I had a 6.   Currently Fi does not allow virtual sims.  So anything past 7 is a nogo

Edit: I went with  Pixel 5.   Pretty decent phone.  Will look at the new Pixel but would still rather go with a One 9 if it was possible

runnig Fi as eSIM on my iPhone

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/7540641?hl=en

Dear DalTxHornFan,

Welcome to the OnwardMobility Pre-Commitment Program! We have received your sign up and want to thank you for your interest in the upcoming BlackBerry 5G smartphone. As a member of the Program, you will receive product and company updates before the general public and be given the opportunity to provide valuable product feedback via surveys and moderated discussions. And most importantly, you will have the opportunity to be among the first to purchase new 5G BlackBerry when it becomes available!

If you have questions or comments, please feel free to reply to this email and our team will be happy to follow up with you. If you should choose to no longer receive any communications about the Pre-Commitment Program, please use unsubscribe link below.

Be Invincible,

The OnwardMobility Team

Joined at OnwardMobility.com

Update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list.

© 2021 Onward Mobility
Onward Mobility
2824 Real St
Austin, TX 78722-1715

Considering picking up a Pixel 5a and selling my 4a. Not much of an upgrade, but bigger battery and metal case which is nice. I don't care much about 5G.

[mention=302]rage-a-holic[/mention]
Edit: I went with  Pixel 5.   Pretty decent phone.  Will look at the new Pixel

Anyone look into pixel 5 vs 5a? 5 is $699 and new 5a is $449. Pretty similar specs except for 5a's plastic case. I even think 5a brings back headphone jack.

Lenovo P11 Pro tablet for $238 + free shipping. Make sure to choose the 6Gb RAM for $4 more.

If I didn't already have the Samsung S6 Lite, I'd prob pull the trigger on this tablet. Prob won't ever get software updates but ehhh. Having a shitton on Android devices since forever, tell me something I don't know.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/tablets/android-tablets/lenovo-tab-series/lenovo-tab-p11-plus/wmd00000476?visibleDatas=704%3A6 GB

Edited by crash_davis

On 8/27/2021 at 1:13 PM, crash_davis said:

Lenovo P11 Pro tablet for $238 + free shipping. Make sure to choose the 6Gb RAM for $4 more.

If I didn't already have the Samsung S6 Lite, I'd prob pull the trigger on this tablet. Prob won't ever get software updates but ehhh. Having a shitton on Android devices since forever, tell me something I don't know.

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/tablets/android-tablets/lenovo-tab-series/lenovo-tab-p11-plus/wmd00000476?visibleDatas=704%3A6 GB

The P11 Pros are shipping with Android 11, and for those who bought them earlier (with 10), the "official" release date for 11 is October - https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht501098-android-upgrade-matrix

But you may have been talking about your Samsung.  My first few Android tablets were Samsung and it seemed like I got burned way too often on Android updates (or lack thereof).  My kid's iPad Air 2 came out in 2014 and has supported iOS 8 up through iPadOS 15 (and may go on to 16 next year).  Pisses me off when Android tablets stop getting updates way too early.

I need an Android tablet, and the P11 Pro will probably be the next one I get - 6GB ram and 128GB storage is pretty damned nice, and based on a friend's P11, the display was very nice.

Edited by atomheartbevo

Anyone look into pixel 5 vs 5a? 5 is $699 and new 5a is $449. Pretty similar specs except for 5a's plastic case. I even think 5a brings back headphone jack.
I'm confused on the case for the 5a. I've read comments saying it was plastic and others saying it was metal with a soft touch coating. The 4a is plastic and probably my least favorite part about it. I really liked the metal case of the Pixel 2.
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2021 at 8:51 PM, Parliament said:

My Galazy Note (whatever number) is getting long in the tooth, and has a moderately cracked screen.  Talk me out of a Galaxy Fold.

Seems gimmicky to me.  What purpose do you have for a folding phone?  When it's closed you have a thick phone.  When its open, you have a small tablet with the phone screen on the back that you have to be careful with.

• 2 weeks later...

My z flip 3 just arrived today. Initial impressions are it's  almost perfect. Better feeling in the hand than the z flip 5g it is replacing. Front screen is actually useful. I would make a few changes,  but to have a big screen phone that folds to unnoticeable in my pocket is about as good as it gets. 

• Hook 'Em 1