pearlandhorn

2019 Body Transformation Thread

Time for the 2020 corona burpee challenge of doom?

Who threw that xcel together last time to track progress?

I’ve increased my running to 5 miles every day, but am doing exactly zero strength or other exercises. My diet is definitely way worse, but cooking and drinking with my wife in the evenings is maybe the only enjoyable part of the day, so I’m not giving that up for the foreseeable future.

2 hours ago, Post Oak said:

I've got Insanity but I have no interest in working that hard

Yea I did Insanity about about 6-7 years ago and loved it. Pretty sure I would die now

I've been alternating my favorite P90X and Insanity DVD's and going for long walks with the kiddos in the afternoon.  I figure I'll probably lose weight during this.

Any good workout ideas for inside the garage? Now that gyms will be closing across the state I'm fucked. I can do my cardio around the neighborhood but I don't have weights at home nor do I want to spend the money to buy a set. Burpees, push ups, sit ups, what else should I be doing? My goal is weight loss.

7 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Any good workout ideas for inside the garage? Now that gyms will be closing across the state I'm fucked. I can do my cardio around the neighborhood but I don't have weights at home nor do I want to spend the money to buy a set. Burpees, push ups, sit ups, what else should I be doing? My goal is weight loss.

yes.

stretching, body weight squats, step ups, pull ups(if you can mount a bar in a doorway).

41 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

The best method to lose weight is diet. Takes a lot more effort to burn calories than just avoid eating/drinking them in the first. 

Pickings were mighty slim, but I scored the last flat bench from my Academy, along with an Olympic curl bar, various plates, kettlebells, and dumbbells.

Do you even lift coronavirus?

6 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

A few days of working from home, and I find myself hitting the fridge and pantry too often. I have to reverse this course starting today.

spacer.png

I was already planning on doing this this year and now I finally have the time. Trying to get 3-4 45min rides in per week. Snacking is an issue though since my wife bought everything in sight at HEB this past weekend.

So question for intermittent fasting. If I work out in AM during my fasting period, will I loose/limit muscle mass if I don’t eat before the workout?  I usually will eat a shake and lunch immediately afterwards, but just coffee beforehand  

Goal is to add muscle/strength, while losing maybe 5 lbs. I’m fortunate to be lean genetically and in my early years struggled to add weight. 

maybe other question is can you loose fat at same time as adding muscle?  Or better to separate?

ive been doing the intermittent fasting for a year or so. Eat like crap 10 hrs a day, nothing the rest. So far I’ve lost a few lbs and strongest I’ve ever been.  But recently a bunch of peeps told me it’s a sin to workout on empty stomach. 

8 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Do you have a kettlebell? 

If you don't might want to get one or two.  It'll wear your ass out

I have been on the home workout  for years now. Just hated driving to the gym everyday. I also need some sort of plan going in or I will just kinda futz around and not really get in a good balance workout. 

For those looking for routines at home depending on your equipment options:

AthleanX-Jeff Cavelier. He has a ton of plans from body weight only to full squat rack. Big focus on effective athletic moves and not doing stupid stuff to get hurt which is helpful for an old guy like me. I have done AX, AX2, XERO plus a few others. I am currently doing Monster Maker and have been pleased so far. 

Beachbody online: Cheap monthly streaming. Access to P90X, P90X2, P90X3, Insanity, Tony Horton One on One routines (Dumbell and cardio routines that are pretty good if you can tolerate TH's personality), Yoga, Body Beast (a really good weight training plan if you have access to a good supply of dumbbells and a weight bench). Beachbody can be a bit annoying with their trainer personalities, but in these difficult times its hard to be picky. 

TRX is another good option and there are some ass kicking schedules out there that will expose just  how weak your core is while trying to press/curl etc. 

For the I don't have weights at home crowd, TRX and Athlean-X Xero could work. Here is a sample of the no body weight workout. 

2 hours ago, topochico said:

I have been on the home workout  for years now. Just hated driving to the gym everyday. I also need some sort of plan going in or I will just kinda futz around and not really get in a good balance workout. 

AthleanX-Jeff Cavelier. He has a ton of plans from body weight only to full squat rack. Big focus on effective athletic moves and not doing stupid stuff to get hurt which is helpful for an old guy like me. I have done AX, AX2, XERO plus a few others. I am currently doing Monster Maker and have been pleased so far. 

Beachbody online: Cheap monthly streaming. Access to P90X, P90X2, P90X3, Insanity, Tony Horton One on One routines (Dumbell and cardio routines that are pretty good if you can tolerate TH's personality), Yoga, Body Beast (a really good weight training plan if you have access to a good supply of dumbbells and a weight bench). Beachbody can be a bit annoying with their trainer personalities, but in these difficult times its hard to be picky. 

TRX is another good option and there are some ass kicking schedules out there that will expose just  how weak your core is while trying to press/curl etc. 

For the I don't have weights at home crowd, TRX and Athlean-X Xero could work. Here is a sample of the no body weight workout. 

I like Athlean X. Jeff has taught me a number of tricks, and does a good job explaining the anatomy lesson too. I used to put on one of his utube vids while warming up before doing that muscle group...very helpful. 

On 3/20/2020 at 4:30 AM, topochico said:

I did this yesterday based on your recommendation.  I now feel like a Mack truck ran over me.  JFC that is some hard shit.  I liked it though and plan on sticking with the program over the next few weeks.  I did 2 rounds at around 30 minutes and it flew by, I think because of the quick transitions you're constantly focused on what you're doing and what you're about to do.  

I posted this on the elliptical thread but I got this for Christmas:  https://hydrow.com. It's child's play compared to Athlean, but it's a decent work out to mix into the rotation and take pressure off pain spots from running.  Also recommend the Theragun for recovery if you're getting up in the years.

G3_BLACK_PDP_HERO_1.jpg