2019 Fishing - Bent rods and tight lines

Mac8111

Got skunked today other than a couple of juvenile Jacks. They didn’t make me look stupid this time which was a positive. The downsides of saltwater fishing hit today. 3 days of crystal clear, smooth water gave way to a murky mess with steady rollers. Wind shifted last night with storms coming the next few days, so it looks like it’s time to bail on the beaches and hit some back water spots. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, crash_davis said:

how much is the LA fishing license?

I buy an annual LA license every fall. I want to say it's around $90 for the out of state with salt water stamp. LA Fish & Wildlife actually have a pretty nice website and you can buy your license on line and save it as a picture on your phone. 

25 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I buy an annual LA license every fall. I want to say it's around $90 for the out of state with salt water stamp. LA Fish & Wildlife actually have a pretty nice website and you can buy your license on line and save it as a picture on your phone. 

This.  $90 for out of state. Good from July 1 through June 30 every year, so I need to renew soon.

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

I'm amazed every year when I buy mine how much better their system is than ours.  They got that right for sure.

got to throw the retail shops a bone. when have you ever walked into academy just to buy your hunting, fishing license? when i go, i'm always leaving with a bunch of shit that i don't need. also, i wonder if there's any markup on the licenses themselves?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

got to throw the retail shops a bone. when have you ever walked into academy just to buy your hunting, fishing license? when i go, i'm always leaving with a bunch of shit that i don't need. also, i wonder if there's any markup on the licenses themselves?

Probably not. In Idaho and neighboring states, there is no markup on license sales. From what I've been told, the stores don't even get a small chunk of the sale, but they still sell licenses because they get you in the door.

I'd imagine Texas and Louisiana are similar, but I'm just spitballing.

2 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Probably not. In Idaho and neighboring states, there is no markup on license sales. From what I've been told, the stores don't even get a small chunk of the sale, but they still sell licenses because they get you in the door.

I'd imagine Texas and Louisiana are similar, but I'm just spitballing.

That makes sense. Shit works because I never leave Academy empty handed. Always have to have more colors in that paddle tail or 5" worm or top water or jerbait, and then maybe a new rod that i didn't need, and oh yea, i need some socks and a workout t shirt....

So I use spinning reels, but my dad just gave me an old baitcaster, can anyone walk me through the steps of setting the break so that it cast further than 10 feet. I don't have a problem with the fishing line nest because line just stops after 10 feet. 

Thinking of taking it to the bait and tackle shop up the street but I figured I would give it a shot here first.

Its nothing fancy, a Daiwa Procaster

Edited by Juicy

Two things:

Adjust The small knob below the reel handle. To the right is tight. Left loose. With whatever you are throwing, In theory, you should be able click the cast button and your lure slowly and gracefully fall down to the ground. You can adjust from there.

Brakes on reels are each a little bit different but typically you can open up the side plate on the left side of the reel and there will be a series of tabs around the disk. You can adjust those (moving them in and out). If I turn one on or off, I typically do the same with the opposite brake. (Keeping it balanced).

*** None of this is official technical knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Mac nailed it. I’ve never liked using the brakes so I can’t comment on how much they work.  Make sure you aren’t over bearing your thumb on the spool. Should be just a hair above it until it reaches the destination you want it to. As far as for the spool tension, that’s personal preference too.  I keep mine pretty far backed off. I run without brakes and as little spool tension as I can for distance casting, and have always just stayed that way.  Just feels normal to me.  Try to learn with a heavier lure/weight and pare down from there.  

I can't keep up with huge but I have a buddy with a large, modern center console kept in Mexico Beach FL and we wore their asses out today.

This is the third straight offshore trip where I have painfully out-fished live pinfish on the bottom by using a 150grm butterfly jig. dad2fb2a6d20babc9c36d689bde95cc1.jpg

• Like 8

Major fucking heartbreak yesterday when I had operator error and managed to let a massive flounder get away from me while wading a shoreline. 20” plus. Beautiful creature. I was going to stuff him with crab and feast like a son of a bitch while sending pics to all my friends.

Partially made up for it today when this 27 3/4” red smashed my top water. He will be blackened up on Sunday.

ed8a89c58b7af8529f0fa408d53f1518.jpg

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

Major fucking heartbreak yesterday when I had operator error and managed to let a massive flounder get away from me while wading a shoreline.

Didn't you post pics of a stuffed flounder last year or a couple of years ago, or was that someone else?

Whoever was responsible, it was glorious.

Yes. That was me. I had a couple smaller ones last year and then about four years ago was my biggest. That one was 22” and 4 1/2 lbs. It had 2 lbs of crab stuffed in that one.

I have been known to flip on the livewell and keep a nice flounder when fishing C&R for teout/reds. Buy a bag of ice at the store near the ramp and take her home to the kitchen.

On 6/19/2020 at 2:48 PM, Mac8111 said:

Two things:

Adjust The small knob below the reel handle. To the right is tight. Left loose. With whatever you are throwing, In theory, you should be able click the cast button and your lure slowly and gracefully fall down to the ground. You can adjust from there.

Brakes on reels are each a little bit different but typically you can open up the side plate on the left side of the reel and there will be a series of tabs around the disk. You can adjust those (moving them in and out). If I turn one on or off, I typically do the same with the opposite brake. (Keeping it balanced).

*** None of this is official technical knowledge.

Yep.  Lure should fall straight down and spool should stop as soon as whatever rig stops falling.  You’re set for that weight.   If you change baits that vary in weight, do the adjustment again before you cast the new rig.

Practice the test a few times at home to get comfortable with what you’re doing and you can adjust the reel while fishing easily as needed.  Once you get used to the reel you’ll eventually be able to make swag adjustments on the fly without doing a drop.  Just comes with trial and error. 

• Like 1

Finally got the wife and oldest boy to wade fish yesterday. Pretty solid morning. He really liked it. She didn’t mind it but didn’t want to get too deep (that’s what she said ).

Redfish in pic is same redfish from Friday night. He was still in the ice chest so the boy wanted him in the pic, pretty sure so that he could lie to his friends that he caught it.

4134e4eee2a08915bfa68466482c93e2.jpg

• Like 7

Hey guys, just wanted to give y’all my fishing report for the Colorado River at Webberville.  Dam release had the water moving this morning but low visibility.  Bass were hitting my wacky worm on a drop shot but spitting it before I could actually hook one.  Crappie were crushing my pink and yellow lure fast retrieve all day, but again, spitting the bait before I can actually catch one.  Most of my tackle is decorating the overhanging branches that provide terrific cover for the big bass that are down there along the muddy banks near stumps.  Hit the limit early for spiders one one attempt to recover my tackle in a branch above the perfect bass hole.  Look for structure and rocks in 4-5 ft water and you may find bass and my polarized sunglasses as well.  Keep your lines tight and enjoy Father’s Day relaxing with your family in the beautiful outdoors on the water.

Stranger:  “Did you catch anything?”

Me:  “No.  Did your house catch fire?”

Stranger:  “No”

Me:  “Do you want it to?”

Edited by LongestHorn
Fuck you Bass
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

Man, that’s one thing that just holds absolutely zero interest to me. Shark fishing is probably in that same vein for me. I don’t find it fun to sit on a rod for  an hour pulling something off the bottom I can’t do anything with. I know some guys love it, but it’s absolutely the furthest thing from my version of fishing there is.

Another solid day of beach fishing snook. Wore them out on spoons in cloudy water fishing the ledge right up against the beach. I’ve caught two over 30 inches in the last week and quite a few in the 20-25 range. It’s starting to slow down now as water temp goes up substantially and clarity drops. Going to get out and chase some reds and tarpon next week which should be fun. I’m going to give this fly rod a try and see how it goes. I’m about 4 weeks from having to head back home for the school year, so I need to some damage this next month.

Edited by Brew
  • Like 5

Her: hey can we not clean the garage tomorrow and instead go fishing? I hear the Llano is good fishing. Maybe some Coopers and find a spot?

Me: uh. Yes?

Hour later coming back from Sportsman’s Finest with a nice assortment.

9265367a97609e89646ded27786533ae.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, troph said:

Her: hey can we not clean the garage tomorrow and instead go fishing? I hear the Llano is good fishing. Maybe some Coopers and find a spot?

Me: uh. Yes?

Hour later coming back from Sportsman’s Finest with a nice assortment.

9265367a97609e89646ded27786533ae.jpg

The Llano is great; love that popper.  Use your smallest flies and fish all of the shallow side channels and things that look too shallow to fish, provided there is some current running through.  You can catch a surprising number of guads in 6 inches of water.  

• Like 1

On 6/24/2020 at 7:33 PM, Mac8111 said:

I guess we are changing vacation from Destin to SPI. Is the bay fishing down there amazing or nah? Like am I going to catch a 25” trout ??

Had several over 25 and a 22" flounder down there a few weeks ago.  Caught  a bunch of trout between 18-25 , went and got a very quick 4 man limit of reds, and went back to look for big trout.   Tournament didnt allow anything over slot on trout, but we ended up with a really nice 24-3/4" type late in the day.  Everything over 25 went back of course.   I dont think we traveled more than 5 miles or so all day.  Ended up with 4 man limit of trout, reds, and that nice founder.  Pretty epic fishing but my god it was crowded.  1st week of June.  

• Like 1

The Llano is great; love that popper.  Use your smallest flies and fish all of the shallow side channels and things that look too shallow to fish, provided there is some current running through.  You can catch a surprising number of guads in 6 inches of water.  

This worked !!

4b468421331ff5c28f190e2b85b8cc46.jpg

Beautiful day to be out ...

197ecb402d7bae8c2f00351f1a9dbbde.jpg

d3d4116a82dab58fb213b78c059e5cc1.jpg

286f30504724fa41b6212f731dc9982a.jpg

Our pup has decided he’s a river dog. Threw a monster fit after CO and chewed up a bunch of cardboard out of boredom - not tonight - he’s about to fall asleep now.

ade0eb430601da70c20bc2aa2164c1f1.jpg

No feet pics [mention]DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt [/mention]and I’ll spare you the Fredericksburg peaches and pics of Cooper’s meat spread but it was a good day and the drive back was just the right amount of time to re-enter city life and Monday morning tomorrow.

• Like 8

On 6/27/2020 at 11:19 PM, fattyflattie said:

Had several over 25 and a 22" flounder down there a few weeks ago.  Caught  a bunch of trout between 18-25 , went and got a very quick 4 man limit of reds, and went back to look for big trout.   Tournament didnt allow anything over slot on trout, but we ended up with a really nice 24-3/4" type late in the day.  Everything over 25 went back of course.   I dont think we traveled more than 5 miles or so all day.  Ended up with 4 man limit of trout, reds, and that nice founder.  Pretty epic fishing but my god it was crowded.  1st week of June.  

Talk to me about location if you don't mind, I'm headed back down soon

14 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

Talk to me about location if you don't mind, I'm headed back down soon

Sent you some maps.    Just realized yall were talking SPI, don't know how I read over that the first time.   We were up north.  I dont have anything recent down South, need to get back down there.  Apologies, reading is hard.

Edited by fattyflattie

Sent you some maps.    Just realized yall were talking SPI, don't know how I read over that the first time.   We were up north.  I dont have anything recent down South, need to get back down there.  Apologies, reading is hard.

8dae5616e5e3dfdb2d2764c84cde494d.gif