Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

17 minutes ago, RadiologyHorn said:

Demas won’t stick. It’s an emotional decision after an emotional game.

Everything you say on this board screams aggy troll. So if you are an aggy troll, you should probably dial it back. And if you are not an aggy troll, you should probably dial it back. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

33 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Everything you say on this board screams aggy troll. So if you are an aggy troll, you should probably dial it back. And if you are not an aggy troll, you should probably dial it back. 

Sorry I’m not swimming with the masses but I’ve seen this story before. Aggy looks invinceable and things are going so well for them and then late October they fall apart. Happens every year.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 3

Sorry I’m not swimming with the masses but I’ve seen this story before. Aggy looks invinceable and things are going so well for them and then late October they fall apart. Happens every year.

Maybe so, but even if they collapse they will still win 8 or so games and look respectable while we aren't certain we will be baylor and Kansas.....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RadiologyHorn said:

i think you’re overlooking the fact that they have coaches who look like they know what they’re doing. this has not been the case in peak rollercoaster years.

• Fuck You 1

Jimbo will be an issue. He’s not going to lose recruits like his predecessors and he’ll tear up 2019 and 2020 (whether it be above-board or not). We need to focus on our evaluations, continue to look out-of-state, grad transfers/JUCOs and out-recruit OU and the other B12 boys to outlast this Jimbo-craze.

Beating USC will help with our California recruiting, so that would be a start  

I’m not willing to throw the baby out with the bath water just yet. Every year teams have games they inexplicably struggle to win against inferior opponents. Some even lose. We won. Let’s move on and wait couple weeks and see where we’re at. And I’m usually the one saying blow shit up. A rare moment of optimism if you will

Yeah, I would bet the house Sheppard flips.  He literally tweeted his recruitment was still open the next day after his commitment.  He's also teammates with Demas. 

We've entered the dark ages guys.  You can't keep selling the future.  After 7-8 yeas of continuous failure with 2 programs on the rise in ou and a&m will bury this program for a while.  Maybe I'm still down from our shit start to this season but I just don't see the light at the end of the tunnel right now.  Hopefully we can steal a game from tcu/ou and beat both usc and ksu.  That's the only way I see us still being relevant in these next two recruiting classes.  If we start 1-5, 2-4.... we're going to be so fucked.  Guys like Jake Smith are still keeping the door open with the likes of Bama... these out of state guys will not go to a failing program.

Edited by victory88

Horns247 Road Notebook: Which recruits impressed this week?

Horns247's EJ Holland and Mike Roach hit the road over the weekend and saw several top Texas targets. Here are their thoughts from their time on the trail.

Commits

TE Brayden Liebrock, Chandler (AZ) — Liebrock was one of the prospects that impressed me the most this offseason, so naturally, I was excited to see him in-game. Here are the things that I liked: Liebrock is an elite level route runner at his position. The dude has incredible speed for his size and is a natural glider. He spent most of his time flexed out and proved to be a big receiving threat as he hauled in six receptions for 56 yards and a touchdown. Liebrock has a chance to be UT’s best receiving tight end in quite some time. Here are the things that I didn’t like: Liebrock still hasn’t added much weight and needs to improve as an in-line blocker. He also had a couple of drops. That’s not something I didn't see this spring, so it might have just been an off day in that regard. But overall, there is a lot to be excited about with Librock. — Holland

Offered Targets

RB Trey Sanders, IMG Academy (Fla.) — The first time Sanders touched the ball, he made me say ‘wow.’ At his size, Sanders can fly down the field. And that’s a dangerous combination. Sanders needs to work on hitting holes harder, but once he gets a full head of steam going, he is almost impossible to stop. Sanders is one of the best athletes I have ever evaluated in-person, but he’ll need a bit of development as a true ball carrier. With that said, Sanders will be an impact player at the next level, and his ability as a pass catcher will only help. — Holland

RB Noah Cain, IMG Academy (Fla.) — Cain has been a household name on the recruiting trail for a while, and I actually think that might have hurt in the rankings. Look, Cain is still as good as he was when he first blew up. The four-star prospect is an elite level prospect and a better pure running back than the aforementioned Sanders. Cain is a physical, every down back that doesn’t shy away from contact and uses his strong lower body to gain extra yards. Think Alfred Morris in his prime with the Washington Redskins. — Holland

S Tyler Owens, Plano East — Owens played in monsoon conditions at the Cotton Bowl on Saturday morning, and the game was delayed several times due to lightning. Owens didn’t see much come his way, but he made his presence felt on a few occasions. Owens flew to the boundary several times to cause big collisions on passes to the flats, and he filled running lanes like a brick wall. Owens has great sudden ability and unparalleled athleticism for his size. He should continue to work on his footwork and movement ability, but those skills are also on an upward trend. — Roach

Three to watch

RB Seth McGowan, Mesquite Poteet (2020) — While much of the attention in the 2020 class is on Zach Evans and Jase McClellan, McGowan is an elite level recruit in his own right. McGowan is an extremely violent runner and almost a guarantee to gain at least four yards on every carry. McGowan rushed for more than 100 yards and four touchdowns in Poteet’s win over Waxahachie.

OL Erick Cade, Denton Braswell (2021) — Cade is a massive human for his age. The 2021 prospect stands 6-foot-7, 290 pounds with three high school seasons in front of him. Cade showed dominance in the run game as he bulldozed Burleson defenders on his side, but he struggled a bit with pass blocking from the blind side. Cade looks like he’s still figuring out how to move his frame. — Roach

LB Tate Romney, Chandler (AZ) (2020) — It looks like another down year at the linebacker position in-state, so don’t be surprised if the Longhorns look at Romney, who is a teammate of the aforementioned Liebrock. Romney was extremely active in Chandler’s win over Faith Lutheran as he recorded several tackles and a couple of pass breakups. — Holland

31 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Early visitor list yet?

From Horns247

Official Visitors 

RB Derrian Brown 
WR Marcus Washington 
ATH Bru McCoy

2019 targets 
WR Elijah Higgins 
WR Jaylen Ellis 
S Lewis Cine 
S Jalen Catalon 
S Tyler Owens

2020 targets 
OL Jalen St. John 
DL Prince Dorbah 
CB Dwight McGlothern 
CB Jaylon Jones 
S Bryson Washington 
S Darius Snow 
ATH Mookie Cooper 
ATH Michael Henderson

2021 targets 
WR Shadrach Banks 
OL Reuben Fatheree 
OL Donovan Jackson 
OL Hayden Conner

Commits 
QB Hudson Card 
WR Jake Smith 
TE Brayden Liebrock 
OL Tyler Johnson 
CB Kenyatta Watson II 
CB Marques Caldwell

Edited by satyanash

From Horns247

Official Visitors 

RB Derrian Brown 
WR Marcus Washington 
ATH Bru McCoy 2019 targets 
WR Elijah Higgins 
WR Jaylen Ellis 
S Lewis Cine 
S Jalen Catalon 
S Tyler Owens
2020 targets 
OL Jalen St. John 
DL Prince Dorbah 
CB Dwight McGlothern 
CB Jaylon Jones 
S Bryson Washington 
S Darius Snow 
ATH Mookie Cooper 
ATH Michael Henderson
2021 targets 
WR Shadrach Banks 
OL Reuben Fatheree 
OL Donovan Jackson 
OL Hayden Conner
Commits 
QB Hudson Card 
WR Jake Smith 
TE Brayden Liebrock 
OL Tyler Johnson 
CB Kenyatta Watson II 
CB Marques Caldwell

That’s a pretty light list for 2020. Right?

9 minutes ago, TexasBeta said:

That’s a pretty light list for 2020. Right?

yes. especially compared with this list.

CONFIRMED OFFICIAL VISITORS 
ATH Christian Harris, Baton Rouge (La.) University Lab (A&M commit) 
QB Zach Calzada, Buford (Ga.) Lanier (A&M commit) 
LB RJ Orebo, Dayton (A&M commit) 
DE Khris Bogle, Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) Cardinal Gibbons 
LB Kuony Deng, Independence (Kan.) CC 
CB Elijah Blades, Arizona Western CC (Oregon commit)

CONFIRMED UNOFFICIAL VISITORS (COMMITTED) 
WR Kam Brown, Colleyville Heritage 
WR Chase Lane, Houston St. Pius X 
S Demani Richardson, Waxahachie 
CB Erick Young, Fort Bend Bush 
CB Jeffery Carter, Mansfield Legacy 
DT Josh Ellison, A&M Consolidated 
TE Baylor Cupp, Brock 
CB Bobby Wolfe, Houston Madison 
OT Blake Trainor, Hallsville 
K Caden Davis, Coppell 
2020 OL Josh Bankhead, The Woodlands College Park 
2020 OL Smart Chibuzo, Fort Bend Hightower 
2020 OL Jordan Jefferson, Navasota 
2020 OL Akinola Ogunbiyi, Fort Bend Kempner

CONFIRMED UNOFFICIAL VISITORS (UNCOMMITTED) 
DE Marcus Stripling, Katy Mayde Creek 
APB Chux Nwabuko, Hutto 
2020 QB Malik Hornsby, Fort Bend Marshall 
2020 S Chris Thompson Jr., Duncanville 
2020 OL Damieon George, North Shore 
2020 WR Demond Demas, North Forest 
2020 WR Troy Omeire, Fort Bend Austin 
2020 CB Dwight McGlothern Jr., Cedar Hill Trinity Christian 
2020 S Darius Snow, Hebron 
2020 CB Jaylon Jones, Cibolo Steele 
2020 CB Jalen Kimber, Mansfield Timberview 
2020 OL Kendal Septs, Fort Bend Austin 
2020 S Bryson Washington, Houston C.E. King 
2020 DE James Sylvester, Newton 
2020 WR Devin Price, A&M Consolidated 
2020 OL Chad Lindberg, Clear Creek 
2020 OL Jaylen Garth, Port Neches-Groves 
2020 WR Marvin Mims, Frisco Lone Star 
2020 DE Alfred Collins, Bastrop Cedar Creek 
2020 RB/LB Herbert Gums, Diboll 
2020 DE Alec Bryant, Manvel Shadow Creek 
2020 OT Courtland Ford, Cedar Hill 
2020 OT Chris Morris, Memphis Freedom Prep 
2020 RB EJ Smith, Dallas Jesuit 
2021 LB Kendrick Blackshire, Mesquite Horn 
2021 DE Landyn Watson, Hutto 
2021 ATH Shadrach Banks, North Shore 
2021 DE Tunmise Adeleye, Katy Tompkins 
2021 WR/CB KJ Liggins, Coppell 
2021 WR John Paul Richardson, Fort Bend Ridge Point 
2021 WR Latrell Neville, Fort Bend Willowridge 
2021 QB Preston Stone, Dallas Parish Episcopal 
2021 OT Donovan Jackson, Houston Episcopal 
2021 OT Cullen Montgomery, Houston Episcopal 
2022 QB Tevin Carter, Memphis Freedom Prep

MAYBE LIST 
TE Jalen Wydermyer, Dickinson 
2020 RB Zachary Evans, North Shore 
2020 DT McKinnley Jackson, Luceale (Miss.) George County 
2020 CB RJ Mickens, Southlake Carroll 
2020 DT Jaquelin Roy, Baton Rouge (La.) University Lab 
2020 DT Branard Wright, Dallas Carter 
2020 ATH Ja'Quinden Jackson, Duncanville 
2020 DE Vernon Broughton, Cy Ridge

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

13 hours ago, mr. littlejeans said:

yes. especially compared with this list.

Reveal hidden contents

CONFIRMED OFFICIAL VISITORS 
ATH Christian Harris, Baton Rouge (La.) University Lab (A&M commit) 
QB Zach Calzada, Buford (Ga.) Lanier (A&M commit) 
LB RJ Orebo, Dayton (A&M commit) 
DE Khris Bogle, Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) Cardinal Gibbons 
LB Kuony Deng, Independence (Kan.) CC 
CB Elijah Blades, Arizona Western CC (Oregon commit)

CONFIRMED UNOFFICIAL VISITORS (COMMITTED) 
WR Kam Brown, Colleyville Heritage 
WR Chase Lane, Houston St. Pius X 
S Demani Richardson, Waxahachie 
CB Erick Young, Fort Bend Bush 
CB Jeffery Carter, Mansfield Legacy 
DT Josh Ellison, A&M Consolidated 
TE Baylor Cupp, Brock 
CB Bobby Wolfe, Houston Madison 
OT Blake Trainor, Hallsville 
K Caden Davis, Coppell 
2020 OL Josh Bankhead, The Woodlands College Park 
2020 OL Smart Chibuzo, Fort Bend Hightower 
2020 OL Jordan Jefferson, Navasota 
2020 OL Akinola Ogunbiyi, Fort Bend Kempner

CONFIRMED UNOFFICIAL VISITORS (UNCOMMITTED) 
DE Marcus Stripling, Katy Mayde Creek 
APB Chux Nwabuko, Hutto 
2020 QB Malik Hornsby, Fort Bend Marshall 
2020 S Chris Thompson Jr., Duncanville 
2020 OL Damieon George, North Shore 
2020 WR Demond Demas, North Forest 
2020 WR Troy Omeire, Fort Bend Austin 
2020 CB Dwight McGlothern Jr., Cedar Hill Trinity Christian 
2020 S Darius Snow, Hebron 
2020 CB Jaylon Jones, Cibolo Steele 
2020 CB Jalen Kimber, Mansfield Timberview 
2020 OL Kendal Septs, Fort Bend Austin 
2020 S Bryson Washington, Houston C.E. King 
2020 DE James Sylvester, Newton 
2020 WR Devin Price, A&M Consolidated 
2020 OL Chad Lindberg, Clear Creek 
2020 OL Jaylen Garth, Port Neches-Groves 
2020 WR Marvin Mims, Frisco Lone Star 
2020 DE Alfred Collins, Bastrop Cedar Creek 
2020 RB/LB Herbert Gums, Diboll 
2020 DE Alec Bryant, Manvel Shadow Creek 
2020 OT Courtland Ford, Cedar Hill 
2020 OT Chris Morris, Memphis Freedom Prep 
2020 RB EJ Smith, Dallas Jesuit 
2021 LB Kendrick Blackshire, Mesquite Horn 
2021 DE Landyn Watson, Hutto 
2021 ATH Shadrach Banks, North Shore 
2021 DE Tunmise Adeleye, Katy Tompkins 
2021 WR/CB KJ Liggins, Coppell 
2021 WR John Paul Richardson, Fort Bend Ridge Point 
2021 WR Latrell Neville, Fort Bend Willowridge 
2021 QB Preston Stone, Dallas Parish Episcopal 
2021 OT Donovan Jackson, Houston Episcopal 
2021 OT Cullen Montgomery, Houston Episcopal 
2022 QB Tevin Carter, Memphis Freedom Prep

MAYBE LIST 
TE Jalen Wydermyer, Dickinson 
2020 RB Zachary Evans, North Shore 
2020 DT McKinnley Jackson, Luceale (Miss.) George County 
2020 CB RJ Mickens, Southlake Carroll 
2020 DT Jaquelin Roy, Baton Rouge (La.) University Lab 
2020 DT Branard Wright, Dallas Carter 
2020 ATH Ja'Quinden Jackson, Duncanville 
2020 DE Vernon Broughton, Cy Ridge

Beat it, aggy.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

IT Inside Scoop

POST-TULSA, PRE-USC RECRUITING 

Despite a closer-than-expected win over Tulsa, the pre-game festivities and crowd were huge selling points for the prospects in attendance last Saturday. Many remarked on the atmosphere at DKR and the vibe from the players and coaching staff.

On Landon Jackson... the high 4*/low 5* defensive end from Pleasant Grove came away with a smile last weekend. After picking up a Texas offer, he was more than happy. "It was so good, I really liked it," said Jackson, the 6-foot-5, 235-pounder. "They ended up offering me, which was really cool. I got to talk to all the coaches, especially coach Warehime and coach Giles. I also hung out with a few players, like Kris Boyd. It was a great experience."

Jackson, who is still probably an A&M lean, is becoming more open minded to the Longhorns. With him being a sophomore, it's still really early, but the basis of the relationship has been established. He'd like to return to another game this season, and perhaps attend the Texas-OU game in Dallas.

On Kelvontay Dixon.... Keaontay Ingram's little brother absolutely loved his time on the 40 Acres. He's becoming a regular, which is very positive. The 6-foot WR/CB with speed in spades got to catch up with players and coach Mehringer and coach Warehime before they went out for the game. "The visit was a lot of fun," Dixon said. "We usually have a great time though. It's like family here. I got to hangout with my brother too." That is like family.

Within the family there's a debate who is the fastest in the house. Kelvontay says it's him. "I'm faster than him," Dixon said with a smile. "He knows it too. Just proud of how well he played. He is the best running back on the campus." Of note; Dixon will return to the 40 Acres next weekend too as the Horns host USC. But first, they have a Friday night tilt with Marshall HS.

On J.J. Sparkman.... the 2020 tall drink of water (6-foot-5) from Pine Tree HS (Longview) couldn't wait to get back to Austin. He visited back in February for the Junior Day Weekend and was eager to return. Texas is high on this sleeper, who might not be so under-the-radar the more you see this season. "It was a great experience," Sparkman said. "I had an amazing time and got a lot of love from the coaches and players. I had a long talk with coach Warehime and coach Mehringer, as well as Kris Boyd and Josh Thompson." With early offers from Iowa State, Arkansas, and Texas Tech, there are more schools calling everyday. TCU, LSU, and OU are pushing.

On Donavon Johnson.... the 6-foot-4 junior tight end from Plano John Paul II is a name to stash away. Johnson has lots of upside and talent he put on display in a Friday night blowout of Bullard Brook Hill. "Texas uses its tight ends almost like John Paul uses me," said Johnson. "I get to line up outside some, but for the most part it was some of the same routes I run. It was fun for my first college game. I met Coach Carrington, he is really cool. The facilities are better than the Google photos I’ve seen. Overall, seeing freshmen play is encouraging because they play who they think can help win no matter the year. A win is a win and Tulsa has scholarship players too so on to next week. I’ll be back." Another level-headed 17-year old. I really like those.

That USC visitor list though.... It was large last week and now sources tell me it might get bigger. The official visitors will be RB Derrian Brown (Buford, GA), WR Marcus Washington (Trinity Catholic - St. Louis, MO), and ATH Bru McCoy (Mater Dei - CA).

The unofficial list is a Who's Who of state and national prospects. We'll have the full list later this week, but here's a taste. Of note; Jalen Catalon is a maybe. The kid is still down after losing his entire senior year and getting around on crutches isn't fun. Texas should give him a jet pack. I'll stay in touch with him for more.

Texas commits:

CB Marques Caldwell

WR Jake Smith

QB Hudson Card

TE Brayden Liebrock

OL Tyler Johnson

CB Kenyatta Watson II

LB De'Gabriel Floyd

2019:

WR Elijah Higgins

WR Jaylen Ellis

S Lewis Cine

S Tyler Owens

2020:

OL Justin Rogers, Oak Park (MI). The 5-star offensive guard holds almost 40 offers. Big-time getting him on campus.

RB Zach Evans

DE Prince Dorbah

CB Dwight McGlothern

S Darius Snow

APB Mookie Cooper

CB Jaylon Jones

ATH Mikey Henderson

Each of those 2020's have an offer, each is a stud. We'll go more in-depth later this week. But if Texas puts on a show on Saturday, the momentum could start swinging back towards the Horns. Given how the team has performed that's a big if, but it's desperately needed.

Edited by satyanash

IT Inside Scoop

POST-TULSA, PRE-USC RECRUITING 

Despite a closer-than-expected win over Tulsa, the pre-game festivities and crowd were huge selling points for the prospects in attendance last Saturday. Many remarked on the atmosphere at DKR and the vibe from the players and coaching staff.

On Landon Jackson... the high 4*/low 5* defensive end from Pleasant Grove came away with a smile last weekend. After picking up a Texas offer, he was more than happy. "It was so good, I really liked it," said Jackson, the 6-foot-5, 235-pounder. "They ended up offering me, which was really cool. I got to talk to all the coaches, especially coach Warehime and coach Giles. I also hung out with a few players, like Kris Boyd. It was a great experience."

Jackson, who is still probably an A&M lean, is becoming more open minded to the Longhorns. With him being a sophomore, it's still really early, but the basis of the relationship has been established. He'd like to return to another game this season, and perhaps attend the Texas-OU game in Dallas.

On Kelvontay Dixon.... Keaontay Ingram's little brother absolutely loved his time on the 40 Acres. He's becoming a regular, which is very positive. The 6-foot WR/CB with speed in spades got to catch up with players and coach Mehringer and coach Warehime before they went out for the game. "The visit was a lot of fun," Dixon said. "We usually have a great time though. It's like family here. I got to hangout with my brother too." That is like family.

Within the family there's a debate who is the fastest in the house. Kelvontay says it's him. "I'm faster than him," Dixon said with a smile. "He knows it too. Just proud of how well he played. He is the best running back on the campus." Of note; Dixon will return to the 40 Acres next weekend too as the Horns host USC. But first, they have a Friday night tilt with Marshall HS.

On J.J. Sparkman.... the 2020 tall drink of water (6-foot-5) from Pine Tree HS (Longview) couldn't wait to get back to Austin. He visited back in February for the Junior Day Weekend and was eager to return. Texas is high on this sleeper, who might not be so under-the-radar the more you see this season. "It was a great experience," Sparkman said. "I had an amazing time and got a lot of love from the coaches and players. I had a long talk with coach Warehime and coach Mehringer, as well as Kris Boyd and Josh Thompson." With early offers from Iowa State, Arkansas, and Texas Tech, there are more schools calling everyday. TCU, LSU, and OU are pushing.

On Donavon Johnson.... the 6-foot-4 junior tight end from Plano John Paul II is a name to stash away. Johnson has lots of upside and talent he put on display in a Friday night blowout of Bullard Brook Hill. "Texas uses its tight ends almost like John Paul uses me," said Johnson. "I get to line up outside some, but for the most part it was some of the same routes I run. It was fun for my first college game. I met Coach Carrington, he is really cool. The facilities are better than the Google photos I’ve seen. Overall, seeing freshmen play is encouraging because they play who they think can help win no matter the year. A win is a win and Tulsa has scholarship players too so on to next week. I’ll be back." Another level-headed 17-year old. I really like those.

That USC visitor list though.... It was large last week and now sources tell me it might get bigger. The official visitors will be RB Derrian Brown (Buford, GA), WR Marcus Washington (Trinity Catholic - St. Louis, MO), and ATH Bru McCoy (Mater Dei - CA).

The unofficial list is a Who's Who of state and national prospects. We'll have the full list later this week, but here's a taste. Of note; Jalen Catalon is a maybe. The kid is still down after losing his entire senior year and getting around on crutches isn't fun. Texas should give him a jet pack. I'll stay in touch with him for more.

Texas commits:

CB Marques Caldwell

WR Jake Smith

QB Hudson Card

TE Brayden Liebrock

OL Tyler Johnson

CB Kenyatta Watson II

LB De'Gabriel Floyd

2019:

WR Elijah Higgins

WR Jaylen Ellis

S Lewis Cine

S Tyler Owens

2020:

OL Justin Rogers, Oak Park (MI). The 5-star offensive guard holds almost 40 offers. Big-time getting him on campus.

RB Zach Evans

DE Prince Dorbah

CB Dwight McGlothern

S Darius Snow

APB Mookie Cooper

CB Jaylon Jones

ATH Mikey Henderson

Each of those 2020's have an offer, each is a stud. We'll go more in-depth later this week. But if Texas puts on a show on Saturday, the momentum could start swinging back towards the Horns. Given how the team has performed that's a big if, but it's desperately needed.

Did they do a team portion of the scoop?