Colin Kaepernick & NFL Reach Settlement

Vic Mackey

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

Yeah, he can protest al he wants, but if his employer says cut that shit out, fuck him if he doesn’t listen.

Do players have time to protest outside of work?  Yes I know this isn't the point, CK wanted to be seen protesting on the job.  But hypothetically could he have made the claim that the NFL schedule doesn't allow time for attending marches?

20 hours ago, Mileslong said:

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,”

That tells me he thinks this is a shitty country even today. I wonder how many millions he has to make before he doesn’t feel oppressed.

You sound like a fucking moron.

• Like 4

The Orange Man at 1600 kept this shit stirred up and the league he is known to have a grudge against had to cough up a chunk of money.  Things might not have gotten this far if Orange Man doesn't keep this stirred up and Goodell and the owners don't handle it so fucking poorly.  

So Orange Man wins which is just fucking terrible and reason 10,356 why Goodell should find himself out on his ass.  

I'm not prone to cast aspersions, especially towards a group, but the amount of posters on this thread that apparently believe that Kaepernick would have kept playing or would still be playing but for for his protests is pretty staggering. Nowhere near the lunacy of the Strong/Herman threads, but the trace of personal bias overpowering obvious fact is similar. It's strange in this case though, because we're not talking about the Longhorns. Why is everyone in their feelings about a rando from Nevada?

The guy isn't playing because he's not good. There are three leagues, 49 teams, that need good QBs. He's gotten several looks. Apparently an offer or two. If you think not wanting to stand for the national anthem is the reason he's not playing, when guys like Pacman Jones, Joe Mixon, Ray Rice, and even Reuben Foster kept finding roster spots, you're just a fool.

If a player is good, if he can help a team win, he's going to get picked up and get paid. 

2 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

I'm not prone to cast aspersions, especially towards a group, but the amount of posters on this thread that apparently believe that Kaepernick would have kept playing or would still be playing but for for his protests is pretty staggering. Nowhere near the lunacy of the Strong/Herman threads, but the trace of personal bias overpowering obvious fact is similar. It's strange in this case though, because we're not talking about the Longhorns. Why is everyone in their feelings about a rando from Nevada?

The guy isn't playing because he's not good. There are three leagues, 49 teams, that need good QBs. He's gotten several looks. Apparently an offer or two. If you think not wanting to stand for the national anthem is the reason he's not playing, when guys like Pacman Jones, Joe Mixon, Ray Rice, and even Reuben Foster kept finding roster spots, you're just a fool.

If a player is good, if he can help a team win, he's going to get picked up and get paid. 

I think you're 3/4 right.  It could be argued that there was some amount of "I don't want to deal with his shit" by teams/GM's/owners, but if he wasn't so fucking abysmal his last 2 years maybe someone would have gone through that shit to sign him despite the controversies.  But yeah he was so terribad it didn't help anyone wanting to take a chance on him.

52 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

I'm not prone to cast aspersions, especially towards a group, but the amount of posters on this thread that apparently believe that Kaepernick would have kept playing or would still be playing but for for his protests is pretty staggering.

Yeah, you need to stick to you very appealing habit of not casting aspersions.

I ventured into this thread to make one post about a particularly stupid comment, which jumps to an inane conclusion.

There are a number of issues going on related to Kaepernick, and I'm not sure there is anything near staggering about the number of people on this thread or others who would think Kaep is a particularly great QB, relative to others in the leagues.

It's easy for me because I don't follow pro football.  I understand Kaepernick had one good year for San Francisco, and I may be completely wrong about that.

It was already posted. The NFL didn’t fear Kap, they never did. They have known what he truly wanted from day one. Their greatest fear was discovery. Can you imagine what was on the computers and cell phones of the owners, GM’s and coaches? There was no way they were allowing that to take place, regardless of what they had to pay.
The information on those hard drives was a 1000x more valuable then anything they may had to pay Kap. Every strategy meeting, evaluations, and who knows what else. And all of it would have had the potential to eventually become public record. Or at a minimum leaked by a third party.

Discovery had already been completed

I still find it distasteful that he'll play in the AAF but for a salary that's basically more than the entire team roster combined. That to me screams branding, name recognition, and ratings now that his movement blew up with iconic figures. he wants to that Lebron, Durant money.. but with about 1/10th of their athletic talent in their respective sports

To me it screams, “I don’t really want to play in your second-rate league but if you’ll pay me stupid money to do so, then sure.”

2 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Yeah, you need to stick to you very appealing habit of not casting aspersions.

I ventured into this thread to make one post about a particularly stupid comment, which jumps to an inane conclusion.

There are a number of issues going on related to Kaepernick, and I'm not sure there is anything near staggering about the number of people on this thread or others who would think Kaep is a particularly great QB, relative to others in the leagues.

It's easy for me because I don't follow pro football.  I understand Kaepernick had one good year for San Francisco, and I may be completely wrong about that.

Kaepernick's starting record last four years:

2013 12-4

2014 8-8

2015 2-6

2016 1-10

He had early success because he was a good running QB, and was okay at hitting the first read. Harbaugh took advantage of that. When Harbaugh left, his success went down every year, as teams figured him out: cover the first read and contain him on the scramble. 

Nothing in the press happens organically. ESPN decided to push the protests, and started doing a weekly "who's kneeling for the anthem" segment. The protests blew up in their face, and NFL ratings dropped. Some of the drop was from over saturation and that third tier crappy games were getting televised nationwide, but there was a legitimate fan backlash against the protests. 

Kaepernick's numbers had gone down every year, and no one wanted to sign him as a starter. The problem with having a guy who doesn't fit the mold as a backup is you want your backup to come in and execute a game plan. You don't fit your offense to what a backup QB can do. Vince Young and Tim Tebow both had the same problem trying to catch on with another team after getting released by their first teams, even though Tebow had a winning record his only year as a starter, and Young's record was .500 in his last year that he started eight games. 

Kaepernick had the additional problem that he was famous as a celebrity, not because of what he'd done on the field. Without the anthem protests, he's about as relevant as Shaun King, who quarterbacked Tampa Bay to an NFC championship game and lost. 

Was Kaepernick shut out over collusion? I dunno. I do know that if I was running a franchise and needed a backup quarterback, I wouldn't look at him, because he would immediately become a distraction from winning games. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sublime said:

The Niners fell apart after Harbaugh left. That is obvious and if you spent any time in the bay area paying attention you'd know that. The defense was decimated. The Niners are still at that lowly level with a bunch of totally never-proven guys in the rotation.

Had the kneeling never occurred he would have been given training camp opportunity elsewhere for sure. Maybe even traded and given a new locale to try again like RG3.

The names of QBs given chance after chance are just extraordinary. Guys who never won a thing. Had Johnny Manzeil not have hit his girl (allegedly), he'd have returned to an NFL roster for another look-see.

There was collusion. This lawsuit settlement all but proved it.

And you assume he would settle for offers of the minimum or a back up salary. 

He did turn down the broncos at 7 million and was demanding a starting opportunity. 

With QBRs of 43 and 49 his previous two season, and throwing the football being his worst skill, it’s not hard to fathom him being out of football immediately until he decided to take a min offer. Same offer he has been shown to turn down. 

So yes, that is a very big assumption. 

I seriously doubt there was true collusion.  CK was clearly not a solution at starting QB and no team is going to put up with the circus for a back-up QB.  So yes the kneeling had an impact but I don't think it was because a bunch of owners got together and decided to black ball him.  Guys like Hardy, Pacman, etc etc...they were all starting talents.  You don't bring the circus to town for a guy that's going to hold a clip board.  No collusion is necessary to make that obvious decision.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 1

The Niners fell apart after Harbaugh left. That is obvious and if you spent any time in the bay area paying attention you'd know that. The defense was decimated. The Niners are still at that lowly level with a bunch of totally never-proven guys in the rotation.
Had the kneeling never occurred he would have been given training camp opportunity elsewhere for sure. Maybe even traded and given a new locale to try again like RG3.
The names of QBs given chance after chance are just extraordinary. Guys who never won a thing. Had Johnny Manzeil not have hit his girl (allegedly), he'd have returned to an NFL roster for another look-see.
There was collusion. This lawsuit settlement all but proved it.

You have to realize that while this is obvious, to most people they have a mild wide inch depth view of things. Being lazy is easy and it is satisfying.

27 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

I really don’t get all the hate. 

The guys just a stupid douchebag, but what was done to him was absolutely wrong.

Exactly.  I might have been able to understand the hate early on, but the NFL just basically admitted that they black-balled him,  and people are still hating on him?  I have no idea how anyone works up more hate for Kaepernik than Roger Goodell, but it's there. 

50 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Belichick is all about winning.  Did you notice that he picked up Josh Gordon last offseason?

Indeed.  Yet Kap sits...  It must be the big white meanies picking on him after he started shit.

How fucking weird is that?

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Exactly.  I might have been able to understand the hate early on, but the NFL just basically admitted that they black-balled him,  and people are still hating on him?  I have no idea how anyone works up more hate for Kaepernik than Roger Goodell, but it's there. 

We all get it, intuitively. Some people just want to rely on rigid interpretations of what are usually subjective applications of standards of conduct to make their world view make sense.  And the nuances of situations just piss them off.

• Like 1

Lol some of y’all are so fucking clueless.

You know who started this? Nate Boyer. Yes, that Nate Boyer.

/End Rant.

From liberals: “‘Hey, don’t you know it was a Green Beret who told Colin to protest in the first place, told him to take a knee?’” Boyer lamented: “And I’m like, ‘I didn’t tell him to do anything. I definitely didn’t tell him to protest. What I did was meet with him, make suggestions on different ways to do it after he was already protesting. And worked with him to kind of come to a middle ground.’”
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

We all get it, intuitively. Some people just want to rely on rigid interpretations of what are usually subjective applications of standards of conduct to make their world view make sense.  And the nuances of situations just piss them off.

Exactly...

say for instance, the MVP of the NFL being a black QB who doesn't start shit and try to use the workplace for his own little political forum.

Could he find a job if the Chiefs cut him?

12 minutes ago, slorch said:

Exactly...

say for instance, the MVP of the NFL being a black QB who doesn't start shit and try to use the workplace for his own little political forum.

Could he find a job if the Chiefs cut him?

Not relevant to me. What is relevant to me is simply noticing one race of people who traditionally were in power feeling compelled to compare another people's concern about the vestiges of historical enslavement and abuse as simply creating "one's own little political forum".  And getting worked up about it.

I deal in workplace discrimination cases all the time.  We're more often on the winning side of allegations of discrimination.  Because by the application of certain legal standards the complainant can't prove his case.  I try to be happy my side won the case, but I also don't take pleasure in contempt for the complainant's version of events or his personal narrative and actions.

42 minutes ago, slorch said:

Exactly...

This is high comedy coming from a guy who once got temp-banned from the Shaggy football forum because he wouldn't shut up about abortion.  

6 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

This is high comedy coming from a guy who once got temp-banned from the Shaggy football forum because he wouldn't shut up about abortion.  

So what I said is false? Is it irrelevant?

also creepy AF that you keep up with my posting history. 

Edited by slorch

21 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

Do players have time to protest outside of work?  Yes I know this isn't the point, CK wanted to be seen protesting on the job.  But hypothetically could he have made the claim that the NFL schedule doesn't allow time for attending marches?

football season isn't 12 months 

10 minutes ago, slorch said:

So what I said is false? Is it irrelevant?

also creepy AF that you keep up with my posting history. 

I don't "keep up with your posting history."  You made a pretty indelible mark by pitching a multi-page hissy-fit about abortion on a football thread.  That's your problem, not mine.

10 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I don't "keep up with your posting history."  You made a pretty indelible mark by pitching a multi-page hissy-fit about abortion on a football thread.  That's your problem, not mine.

Didn’t happen on Surly, nor is this related; but roll with it creepo. 

On 2/15/2019 at 10:11 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

At Oregon Kelyy’s best offenses had QBs with a completion rate approaching 70%. Kap averaged mid-high 50s in the NFL. Only reaching 60 once. Hardly ideal. 

Kap best 2 seasons

3369 yards 19 TDS 10 INTs 60%

3197 yards 21TDs 8 INTs 58 %

2018 Flaco 

2465 yards 12 TDS 6 INTs 61%

Kap sucks

Flaco wins Super Bowl against Kaep, Kaep wins kneeling.

6 hours ago, DanRydell said:

Discovery had already been completed

Please provide a link showing where Kraft and Jones (or any other owner for that matter) released their cellphone and emails. And when Kraft and Jones were disposed. 

Yes, requests were made from Kap’s lawyers going back as far as January of 2017. But I could not find any report where any of them actually turned their data over. The latest I could find was in December 17,  at which time neither Jones and Kraft has complied with the request. Nor had they been disposed as of that date.

I could have easily missed it, but I couldn’t find anything on those specific points.

Well lulz at this whole deal.

I don't give a shit about kc's "protest" or his glaring lack of football skilz or Cheeto Benito "stirring things up". Without Cheeto "Orange Man Bad" Benito stirring things up KC doesn't get paid. So KC owes OMB big time.

But what I find hilarious is that KC made as much bank as this wanker...

ef9df5ee426673959b407767b6c2b2fe.jpg

... and KC doesn't have to live in The Station for 10 years to cash in.

198d31ae83c368f9e9f5731049da071b.jpg9848a2a73f0420d9a3095f88ec4ce5eb.gifc4c2c9761465dd2494db0934efb52303.jpgea8a655e028acbf382b2c4ef717e4421.jpg

• Like 1

Please provide a link showing where Kraft and Jones (or any other owner for that matter) released their cellphone and emails. And when Kraft and Jones were disposed. 

Yes, requests were made from Kap’s lawyers going back as far as January of 2017. But I could not find any report where any of them actually turned their data over. The latest I could find was in December 17,  at which time neither Jones and Kraft has complied with the request. Nor had they been disposed as of that date.

I could have easily missed it, but I couldn’t find anything on those specific points.

I have no idea what discovery was ultimately permitted and what was not. But I do know that summary judgment was denied last fall. And under Article 17, Section 7 of the CBA, summary judgment can only be ruled upon after the conclusion of discovery.

On 2/16/2019 at 4:16 PM, Jkwellborn said:

Yeah, he can protest al he wants, but if his employer says cut that shit out, fuck him if he doesn’t listen.

OK - his team telling him how to behave.

OK - his team suspending him if he doesn't

NOT OK - his team convincing every other team not to hire him as a method of retaliation.  

Don't have time to read the New Yorker and especially the pomes, but this one caught my eye this week and is kind of apropos.

In a Time of Peace (by Ilya Kaminsky)

Inhabitant of earth for fortysomething years I once found myself in a peaceful country. I watch neighbors open

their phones to watch a cop demanding a man’s driver’s license. When a man reaches for his wallet, the cop shoots. Into the car window. Shoots.

It is a peaceful country.

We pocket our phones and go. To the dentist, to pick up the kids from school, to buy shampoo and basil.

Ours is a country in which a boy shot by police lies on the pavement for hours.

We see in his open mouth the nakedness of the whole nation.

We watch. Watch others watch.

The body of a boy lies on the pavement exactly like the body of a boy—

It is a peaceful country.

And it clips our citizens’ bodies effortlessly, the way the President’s wife trims her toenails.

All of us still have to do the hard work of dentist appointments, of remembering to make a summer salad: basil, tomatoes, it is a joy, tomatoes, add a little salt.

This is a time of peace.

I do not hear gunshots, but watch birds splash over the back yards of the suburbs. How bright is the sky as the avenue spins on its axis. How bright is the sky (forgive me) how bright.

22 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

OK - his team telling him how to behave.*

OK - his team suspending him if he doesn't*

NOT OK - his team convincing every other team not to hire him as a method of retaliation.  

* subject to 300 page CBA.  https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf

33 minutes ago, XYZ said:

I’m surprised there’s so much vitriol toward Kaepernick.

Same here.  Ordinary guy who saw thing he didn't like and made a statement the only way he knew how.  Silly boy bought that "speak truth to power" and "free speech" thing hook, line, and sinker.