How Fox News works

retread

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Hey, did you all know Fox now has a late night show that launched last night?  It's their attempt at comedy/talk show/whatnot.  No, I'm serious.  

The first night did not go so well.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/greg-gutfeld-fox-news-late-night-1234943301/

Conservatives aren’t funny.

13 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

But she speaks five languages! 

Supposedly. She hasn’t mastered English though.

One for every cock inside her on Tuesday nights.  Good for her.  

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Hey, did you all know Fox now has a late night show that launched last night?  It's their attempt at comedy/talk show/whatnot.  No, I'm serious.  

I read your first sentence and immediately knew it was going to be Gutfield before seeing your link and tweets. 

Gutfield has been trying to be Fox's Jon Stewart for well more than a decade.  I remember occasionally turning on Red Eye back in the 2000s for the unintentional cringe at how not funny it was.  

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Conservatives aren’t funny.

You definitely can find some liberals saying stupid things that can be made fun of. And some liberals can be made fun of comments almost 100% of the time.

But conservatives are fundamentally trying to protect people or institutions that already in power so therefore its not easy to even have biting humor that pokes fun at liberals. "What's up with stupid liberals wanting to make voting easier. Our forefathers had to fight the British empire in order to vote, what's so hard about getting a drivers license. <insert canned laughter>."

And if it's a subject where conservatives are trying to overturn the status quo, like the pro-life stance, it's far from a funny subject. 

Their big joke is about Brian Williams claiming to be on Mars? That scandal is over 5 years old. Why not joke about Obama's tan suit.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

fox seems convinced it’s easy to do what seth meyers does. 

something tells me seth feels pretty safe this am. 

hell, if those clips are examples of what is coming up on Fox Comedy Night, they just made Seth's job easier. He can have a weekly bit on cringe-worthy moments on Fox.

25 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

You definitely can find some liberals saying stupid things that can be made fun of. And some liberals can be made fun of comments almost 100% of the time.

The difference is that liberals will make jokes about that stuff. They can laugh at themselves. Conservatives can’t.

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The difference is that liberals will make jokes about that stuff. They can laugh at themselves. Conservatives can’t.

If a conservative comedy show will refuse to make fun of QAnon, Trump or even the absurdity around Gaetz; the show won't even last. Gutfeld wouldn't be able to make fun of those areas because that would impact his day job requiring some conservatives to come on his shows. I actually think a Fox News comedy show making of problems within the conservative movement could work. They could obviously make fun of liberals too but I don't see them doing the latter.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If a conservative comedy show will refuse to make fun of QAnon, Trump or even the absurdity around Gaetz; the show won't even last. Gutfeld wouldn't be able to make fun of those areas because that would impact his day job requiring some conservatives to come on his shows. I actually think a Fox News comedy show making of problems within the conservative movement could work. They could obviously make fun of liberals too but I don't see them doing the latter.

It’s only going to come down to making racist jokes, making fun of the “other.” Calling names, acting like children. 

Basically the only jokes I’ve ever heard from people I know who I consider conservative or Republican were either making fun of minorities, or women if there weren’t any women around. And I have heard a lot of those jokes. Not so much anymore. Nowadays I’m more likely to hear a racist rant than a racist joke. 

Im sure there are stand ups who are conservative or Republican and some of them are even funny. But they definitely don’t emphasize their act around that. 

PJ O’Rourke was pretty republican/conservative back in the day and a great and funny writer. But he voted for Hillary so he doesn’t count anymore. 

It’s one reason why they’re so upset about cancel culture. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Dennis Miller gave it a shot and has basically dropped off the face of the earth. 

He was probably the best one who incorporated a lot of politics in his act but ultimately it got stale and he was just spewing out words that sounded like they were funny. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Isn't Fox the network that gave both Magic and Chevy Chase a talk show?   

MV5BODIyNWE3YTQtMTdjNS00OTMzLThlYTAtNDI4

MV5BYjIxMjFhMDUtODBkOC00NGRjLWJhYTUtNzlj

But better than that....they actually piloted a show for Howard Stern in the late 80's.  Not only that....when they cancelled Chase, they started negotiations with Stern a second time to create a new show in Chase's time slot.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

6 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

“It has always been about packaging — taking something boring and making it interesting, finding something mundane and finding the truth,” says Gutfeld. “That has followed me all along.”

That was amazing.  So is this a moment of honesty or an idiot using a word he doesn't understand?  

7 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

They are such children.  Jill Biden is your target?  Really?  I think the Bidens in general just don't give them anything to work with so they lash out at anything they can conceive of.

that's 100% it. the Bidens are teflon-coated. nothing sticks. even the Hunter Biden 'scandal' - even if absolutely true - does not even come close to what they and their viewers have excused for the past half decade.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Uh they thought we’d believe this? 

First off, Psaki kicks ass about having these facts all ready to be thrown back at them. Many reporters rely on their subjects not having the minutia of data available so the reporter can look like they gotten the interviewee. Honesty, it almost comes across like Doocy gave her a heads up in advance.

Second, I don't think MLB ever professed to only working with states that have perfect laws. What they don't want to do is support states that are going in the opposite direction, especially with new laws that are backed by a lie.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Basically the only jokes I’ve ever heard from people I know who I consider conservative or Republican were either making fun of minorities, or women if there weren’t any women around. And I have heard a lot of those jokes. Not so much anymore. Nowadays I’m more likely to hear a racist rant than a racist joke. 

Im sure there are stand ups who are conservative or Republican and some of them are even funny. But they definitely don’t emphasize their act around that. 

PJ O’Rourke was pretty republican/conservative back in the day and a great and funny writer. But he voted for Hillary so he doesn’t count anymore. 

It’s one reason why they’re so upset about cancel culture. 

At one point the Babylon Bee was really funny. Back when it took aim at Christian culture from the inside and with mostly good intentions (in other words, genuine satire).  It shifted and gained more readers by trying to become The Onion but for conservatives.

I think that most political humor fails when it is politics first and a joke second.  Liberal humor sometimes does this, but conservatives are especially unable to move past it. And conservatives in recent years are constitutionally unable to laugh at themselves, which is also key to all good humor. 

• Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

First off, Psaki kicks ass about having these facts all ready to be thrown back at them. Many reporters rely on their subjects not having the minutia of data available so the reporter can look like they gotten the interviewee. Honesty, it almost comes across like Doocy gave her a heads up in advance.

Second, I don't think MLB ever professed to only working with states that have perfect laws. What they don't want to do is support states that are going in the opposite direction, especially with new laws that are backed by a lie.

I mean, if Fox News asked for photos of long ass voting lines on Election Day in Colorado from the last 6-7 years - they don't exist.  Colorado has one of the most secure and efficient voting systems in the country.  I mean, everyone gets a ballot, you drop it off at a box or in-person or go vote in person if you really want to. 

So even trying to equate it to Georgia is fucking stupid.

• Hook 'Em 2

So ok.  The Republican Right has now had the NFL, MLB, NBA (LeBron and his voting stuff), and even NASCAR go against them?   Perhaps it is the Right that is in the wrong?  No, surely not, no.

It’s bizarro world.

I figured us fancy pants college educated elites would get stuck with the museums and symphonies and hiking trails.

But here we are and we’ve got ALL the sports and shit.

What’s next? We getting custody of four wheelers and dirt bikes?
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

At one point the Babylon Bee was really funny. Back when it took aim at Christian culture from the inside and with mostly good intentions (in other words, genuine satire).  It shifted and gained more readers by trying to become The Onion but for conservatives.

I think that most political humor fails when it is politics first and a joke second.  Liberal humor sometimes does this, but conservatives are especially unable to move past it. And conservatives in recent years are constitutionally unable to laugh at themselves, which is also key to all good humor. 

Good observation on the Babylon Bee.

I can't remember if it was Jeff Ross or some other person who was there that was saying how Donald Trump was the most awkward guest they had ever had at a Comedy Central Roast because he wasn't capable of laughing at any of the jokes made at his expense.  That's kind of a problem when you're the guest of honor at a roast.  

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

If a conservative comedy show will refuse to make fun of QAnon, Trump or even the absurdity around Gaetz; the show won't even last. 

6 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Conservatives, not just comedians, should have been skewering the fuck out of Qanon, and they would have 10 years ago. They used to go hard in the paint on the libertarian crowd, and then along comes a bunch of nuts, and they embrace them, or just pretend they don't exist. Because a bunch of those nuts vote and throw money at their preferred candidate, so they are off limits.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Carlson plays a buffoon but he’s an actual fascist in the strict, Francoist sense. He does not want to live in a republic. He wants to live in a nationalist-corporatist state with limited political rights and repression for dissenters and “undesirables”.  His only problem with the insurrection is that it failed.  He wants it to happen again, but organized and successful. For that to happen, he has to create martyrs of these “innocents”, the next wave will carry on their legacy but will not be innocent. 

I wish I were exaggerating. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1