How Fox News works

retread

10 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, you understand where we are, at least.

Oh, they also relentlessly repeat proven lies, which their viewers continue to parrot (e.g., I just saw someone post the "90% of immigration detainees don't show up for their hearings!" lie....again....after it's been demonstrated to be false 1,000 times....but Fox keeps saying it, so he keeps believing it).

Again, 180 degrees from the truth. They don’t just lie about the percentage, they turn it on its head. 

Black is white. Up is down. Day is night. 

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, you understand where we are, at least.

Oh, they also relentlessly repeat proven lies, which their viewers continue to parrot (e.g., I just saw someone post the "90% of immigration detainees don't show up for their hearings!" lie....again....after it's been demonstrated to be false 1,000 times....but Fox keeps saying it, so he keeps believing it).

Another lie they're going to stick to is that Colorado has stricter voting laws then Georgia. This Pirro clip was the first time I've heard them get into specifics by saying that CO requires photo ID to vote. Which, of course, they don't. 

Somehow it still surprises me that a major "news network" just blatantly lies to their viewers without any compunction. It's amazing that they get away with it in a day and age when everyone has a computer in their pocket that can easily debunk their nonsense. 

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's not.  Fox News viewers want to believe what Fox News is pushing.

And it doesn’t matter if it’s true or not so long as it feels true to them. To quote my mom: “I don’t like what they say on those other channels.” Whether what they say is true or not isn’t under consideration. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:

Another lie they're going to stick to is that Colorado has stricter voting laws then Georgia. This Pirro clip was the first time I've heard them get into specifics by saying that CO requires photo ID to vote. Which, of course, they don't. 

Somehow it still surprises me that a major "news network" just blatantly lies to their viewers without any compunction. It's amazing that they get away with it in a day and age when everyone has a computer in their pocket that can easily debunk their nonsense. 

just think of it like a fox viewer is a kid getting home schooled. and the parents are ignorant assholes. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Charlottesville live on air:

He's just going full racist.  It's mind boggling - just kidding.  It's not surprising at all.  In our lifetimes those who openly lie on air w 'news networks' will be censored.  People will lose their minds but countries like Great Britain manage to pull this off.  You lie enough - you'll be pulled off the air.  I know it seems like a pipedream but it's coming...and it scares the shit out of Tucker.  

He's a HUGE fan of the citizen who's been there a long time (not that long - natives LOL) having more rights then other citizens.  Sorry pal, all citizens have the same rights.  Tough shit.  

But taking him off air won't be as fun - I admit, I'd love to see him tried for treason and hung if guilty.  That's the dream.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

He's just going full racist.  It's mind boggling - just kidding.  It's not surprising at all.  In our lifetimes those who openly lie on air w 'news networks' will be censored.  People will lose their minds but countries like Great Britain manage to pull this off.  You lie enough - you'll be pulled off the air.  I know it seems like a pipedream but it's coming...and it scares the shit out of Tucker.  

He's a HUGE fan of the citizen who's been there a long time (not that long - natives LOL) having more rights then other citizens.  Sorry pal, all citizens have the same rights.  Tough shit.  

But taking him off air won't be as fun - I admit, I'd love to see him tried for treason and hung if guilty.  That's the dream.  

I'd like to see him beaten to death by on live TV, but would settle for that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's not.  Fox News viewers want to believe what Fox News is pushing.

That's what's I find mindblowing; not that Fox News is so good at pulling wool over eyes, but the abundant willful ignorance that's required to fuel it.

I just can't get over how fucking insane it is living in this post-truth era, especially that it's taking place in a time where nearly infinite (true) information is a couple clicks away for almost everyone. 

7 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I wish I agreed that was coming, I really do, because I literally can't imagine a good future for our society if this dual reality shit continues unabated.

But I just don't see 1A getting rolled back like that, not in this country. And even if there was some kind of fairness or bullshit doctrine imposed to regulate disinformation on broadcasts, FNC would just have their sheep streaming it over the net in no time. There are just no frameworks in our laws and our information technology to deal with this garbage. 

7 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

A couple of thoughts on this. First off, it's been done here. Father Coughlin was eventually "cancelled" from the radio with the outbreak of WWII, prior to that he was promoting some very anti-semitic and fascist viewpoints on his radio program. But he was also anti-capitalist so getting him off the air served several purposes. Later the US AG was successful in persuading a friend of the Bishop to lean on Coughlin to cease publication of his mailer, Social Justice, and resume his parish duties otherwise he was going to be sitting in a hearing for sedition courtesy of the USPS. That Coughlin was a religious leader in an organization meant a foray into the political realm put him in a position where his 'bosses' did have some control. Evangelical leaders don't have that problem as they are self-employed so to speak.

But Fox is walking the tightrope because they are framing Great Replacement Theory as a voting rights issue and a Democratic Party issue and as Jonathan Greenblatt of the ADL posits, those are former fringe ideas that Fox is now taking mainstream [paraphrase] to their viewers on primetime. Fox pays Tucker Carlson and it is not news that Tucker has supported white nationalism for quite a while. Tucker, the Exchequer of Cancel Culture, will claim he is being cancelled and ergo so are his viewers if he is removed. He is one of their biggest stars, and with his push, push, push of the America First theme the younger radical right may not tune in on their televisions, but it gives the movement a legitimacy it would not have otherwise. It is normalizing it to the point that IF Democratic leadership or even mainstream media pushes for removal, I do have a concern that in four or so years, the right wing, the GOP will use that as an excuse, a cudgel to enact something similar only much more harsh and punitive. It is a tightrope for the rest of us too. Paul Ryan sits on the Board of Directors, and I just don't see him saying, "Hey now Tucker, cool it will ya?"

10 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Like his father, Lachlan doesn't run a charity. When the talking heads are costing millions more than they are bringing in from pillow ads and gold coins and shower tubs for senior citizens, the Murdochs will crack down.

But we've got a ways to go.

Of course, if Dominion wins hundreds of millions/billions, then there will be a shakeup at FNC, because the Murdochs like money more than politics.

And I expect there will be a changeup in the next 10 years or so - FNC is going to start losing plenty of viewers due to old age, and the younger generations are far more interested in lots of other things on TV.  Not many, even the diehard right-wing types, want to hear a 60-something Sean Hannity ramble about Hillary's emails night after night.

I pulled this from the other thread so as not to clutter up lawsuit talk in that specific thread, but you're correct: Lachlan doesn't run a charity. But he has decamped to Australia for the time being. He was quoted as saying it was hard on his children--Biden being elected--and perhaps that is true, he can shelter them from some of the talk of their peers about how his network was a supporter of sedition and so on, but really he is just going to ground for awhile. He can wait out the term of Biden and come back in three years and be welcomed as the propaganda arm of the America First Administration. His father met with presidents to push his thoughts and views, Lachlan is cut from the same cloth. He is known for being supportive of nationalism so I guess I don't see him as any different than the MyPillow guy with his political leanings; it's just that Lachlan is saner, smarter, and has more money.  I may be out of date, but he still owns the WSJ, Harper Collins, and the NY Post among other entities in addition to the Fox media on television. That lawsuit being the determiner will likely depend on how long it drags out, and if lost, the amount.

IMO, it's like the MLB and other corporate talk circling right now. Until there is action, it's just talk blowing on the wind. When there is real change there is always always pushback. I don't think the pusher backers, so to speak, are finished by a long shot with their desires for an authoritarian leader and a return to the minority rule of over a century ago. In their eyes, the 'right kind' of Americans should be the only ones who have a voice and they are not done trying to achieve that. Younger generations are not going to be sitting down watching Tucker, but they'll see his clips, the memes, and everything else on their devices and those who are searching for something, anything, may grab their tiki torches and their weapons and go looking for a fight. Fox will adapt to that too. I don't think this is a majority of young people, obviously, but if many LEO are supportive of this (as we've seen some are) then you already have some strong arm and might on your side. It doesn't bode well for civility and unity.

I'm still sitting on the ledge because this is playing out at a much higher level and behind the scenes and way above my pay grade. Would be interested to see who all flies down for a vacation in Australia for a chat or if he flies back to California or one of his other places to sit and have drinks and dinner with friends. Whomever the GOP fronts as candidates will be sure to stop by.

And, yes, Biden is still President, praise the Lord.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins

51 minutes ago, bluto said:

The most mind bottling aspect of that replacement theory rant is the ‘replacements’ in both south Tx and Florida swung for trump in Nov

Now now the C'ville bunch only said that Jews will not replace them. They didn't say nothin' about getting replaced by Mezkins, whether those Mezkins are in Texas or Florida. 

1 hour ago, Hookah Horns said:

I wish I agreed that was coming, I really do, because I literally can't imagine a good future for our society if this dual reality shit continues unabated.

But I just don't see 1A getting rolled back like that, not in this country. And even if there was some kind of fairness or bullshit doctrine imposed to regulate disinformation on broadcasts, FNC would just have their sheep streaming it over the net in no time. There are just no frameworks in our laws and our information technology to deal with this garbage. 

Either they get old and die off essentially en masse, or they begin a campaign of serious violence.

When there's a small number of people living in an alternate reality, they're marginalized and feel like there's nothing they can do, so they do nothing. But this mass conspiracism we're dealing with, amplified by the internet and all forms of conservative media? It seems reductionist, but the most obvious comparison really does seem to be the nazi party.

I predicted after 1/6 that a majority of conservatives will support the next OKC-type attack, if not immediately then shortly after it has happened. Tucker's trend to outright white supremacy sure isn't making me question that.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Either they get old and die off essentially en masse, or they begin a campaign of serious violence.

When there's a small number of people living in an alternate reality, they're marginalized and feel like there's nothing they can do, so they do nothing. But this mass conspiracism we're dealing with, amplified by the internet and all forms of conservative media? It seems reductionist, but the most obvious comparison really does seem to be the nazi party.

I predicted after 1/6 that a majority of conservatives will support the next OKC-type attack, if not immediately then shortly after it has happened. Tucker's trend to outright white supremacy sure isn't making me question that.

That's certainly not hard to imagine. But before supporting it I'm sure they'll all claim it was a radical left false-flag op. 

2 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

That's certainly not hard to imagine. But before supporting it I'm sure they'll all claim it was a radical left false-flag op. 

Yeah, just like 1/6 and Charlottesville, it's a pretty standard evolution from "how terrible!!!! We didn't want this!" to "actually it wasn't that bad, and the bad parts were antifa plants!" to "actually it was good and necessary and God wants us to do it again."

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

^Bo Nandingo with hair! Speaking of shitty hair...

🌳🔥

It’s true. But it’s bc last time I got really high, I ate a triple meat whataburger and onion rings and fries. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Tucker is on the road to an epic crash and burn.   He could have been set for life just doing his usual routine, but he’s feeling his oats more and more now I guess.  Last night he apparently went full on Alex Jones nutjob on the Covid vaccines:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/tucker-carlson-goes-full-tinfoil-hat-maybe-the-vaccine-doesnt-work-and-theyre-not-telling-you-that

“Fox News host Tucker Carlson seized on Tuesday’s news about the pause on the Johnson & Johnson vaccine to casually suggest to his viewers that the American government knows that the COVID-19 vaccines don’t work but are purposely “not telling you that.”

That bitch Tucker has been set for life since he was born. And as much as we want him to crash and burn, it's not going to happen. Nutty anti vax talk certainly isn't going to do it. Hell, telling the truth about vaccines and shaming the conservatives who aren't getting shots would be infinitely more damaging for him. 

1 hour ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more folding chair. 

Watched the original Geraldo brawl sitting at the bar and day drinking at Marvin's Blue Goose Lodge in Altair.  We all got a good chuckle.  Would love to see round two.  Ding Bonggina thinks he's a lot tougher than he is.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Watched the original Geraldo brawl sitting at the bar and day drinking at Marvin's Blue Goose Lodge in Altair.  We all got a good chuckle.  Would love to see round two.  Ding Bonggina thinks he's a lot tougher than he is.

Geraldo's a loon, but he's got brass balls. I've got a feeling that if he were 20 years younger, he'd be happy to take it to the parking lot with Bongino.

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Does Fox own Youtube?  Good Lord, shit's inundated with bullshit from Fox/RW nuts like Shapiro, Candy girl, Bongina, etc... 

That's how I feel about Facebook.  Every time I hear a conservative cry about being silenced on Facebook or Twitter I can't roll my eyes hard enough.  I don't know what I ever clicked on to get this shitty algorithm, but I'm constantly having to click "show me less" or "hide" on every suggested video that pops up in my feed because it's always Dan Bongobongo, Charlie Kirk, Ben Shapiro, Benny Johnson, and even DJT, Jr.

The very video above popped up with the title "Dan Bongobongo ends Geraldo's TV career with an EPIC BOMB!" or something stupid and exaggerated like that.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tom said:

That's how I feel about Facebook.  Every time I hear a conservative cry about being silenced on Facebook or Twitter I can't roll my eyes hard enough.  I don't know what I ever clicked on to get this shitty algorithm, but I'm constantly having to click "show me less" or "hide" on every suggested video that pops up in my feed because it's always Dan Bongobongo, Charlie Kirk, Ben Shapiro, Benny Johnson, and even DJT, Jr.

The very video above popped up with the title "Dan Bongobongo ends Geraldo's TV career with an EPIC BOMB!" or something stupid and exaggerated like that.

This isn't a mistake.  They know that outrage fuels clicks.  Watch The Social Dilemma if you haven't already.

• Hook 'Em 2