• Drool 1

Did a Central Coast California themed dinner for Mother’s Day:

Santa Maria-style tri-tip
Split pea soup from Andersen’s in Buellton
Little danish biscuits al a Solvang
Firestone Walker beer from Paso Robles

The wife was quite pleased

0c00d242b226f2f15c952643092b0aec.jpg

Boy do I miss that area being a short distance away…
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, CoachTex said:

Cuban black beans on white rice.  Mojito chicken and maduros.  A pan fried plantain.

10 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Daaaaaaamnnnnn that’s all you had to say! I’ll check it out. You MFers make some good lookin shit

I just want to add a rec for this spice company:

https://www.mapsngs.com/

Made in San Antonio.  I sampled a roast at the New Braunfels farmer's market this weekend and thought it was great.  I bought the spicy and it was great on eggs this morning.  I'm going to use it on a steak this evening.  I'm usually a strict dry salt brine, rinse, dry, add copious amounts of fresh ground pepper so this will be interesting.  I'll update the thread with a review and hopefully a good looking steak pic.  I am doing the salt brine and replacing pepper with Mona's spicy.

9 hours ago, CoachTex said:

2nd attempt at fried rice.

20220522_180929.thumb.jpg.19a25c306ac5195b78cabe5c8977d923.jpg20220522_180935.thumb.jpg.0bf88e1a1816bc9ec7ff2c9b8ecc2e63.jpg

teriyaki pork sticks.

I’ve probably mentioned this before but I always keep a bag of frozen peas and carrots on hand so I can thaw a handful and add it to my fried rice. Strangely, the last time I bought some I had to search the frozen foods aisle a little bit before I could find just plain peas and carrots. No! I don’t want corn mixed in!

I haven’t been to my favorite hibachi restaurant since the pandemic hit. Nor my second or third favorite either, (but they’re not that great anyway).

I’ve never been to Benihana. But I’ve been experimenting with reproducing the menu from my favorite hibachi restaurant, and when I search online for ginger dipping sauce recipes, many of the results have come back about Benihana’s ginger dipping sauce. So I haven’t had success imitating the ginger dipping sauce from Fujiyama, and I don’t know what the ginger dipping sauce at Benihana tastes like. But I’ve mostly been working from these two recipes:

https://www.food.com/amp/recipe/benihanas-ginger-sauce-108265

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/52572/ginger-dipping-sauce/

I lean more toward the allrecipes.com version. Ymmv. I don’t think it needs the garlic. And I love garlic. I think it needs more ginger. I tried using less lemon juice but that didn’t work. I’ve seen at least one recipe that recommended adding lemon zest but I thought that was overkill. I haven’t been able to mimic the sauce from Fujiyama but what I’ve come up with is pretty good.