Gringo Tacos

Neonmoon

19 hours ago, Celery Man said:

i only eat tacos from jalisciences because i'm a fucking taco edgelord

But actually, out of those, for the actual tacos I definitely give the nod to Tacodeli.  Both fine though.

Is South Dallas the only Velvet Taco location?

There is a Velvet Taco in the Domain 

Edited by Neonmoon

4 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Where does El Chilito fit in here?

I can't tell if the one on Manchaca is doing OK business.  I think their breakfast tacos are fine and their black salsa is interesting, but my go to is Taqueria Linda in the La Familia Market gas station on 1st and Dittmar

Taqueria Linda is fucking awesome but by no means a gringo taco joint. I've never seen a hot white woman in her thirties in yoga pants with a latte waiting for tacos at Taqueria Linda.  

35 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Taqueria Linda is fucking awesome but by no means a gringo taco joint. I've never seen a hot white woman in her thirties in yoga pants with a latte waiting for tacos at Taqueria Linda.  

ah yeah definitely, I just mean that I never go get breakfast tacos at El Chilito because I always go to Taqueria Linda

Yeah I feel like El Chilito tacos are based more on traditional Mexican foods, compared to a place like Torchy's that hammers 37 non-traditional and seemingly unrelated ingredients into a tortilla and calls it a taco.  I like both, and both are certainly frequented by a lot of gringos, but I'm not sure the tacos themselves fit under the same category header.  Just my opinion, of course.

3 hours ago, elfenix said:

a thread about hot white women with puffy tacos in yoga pants deserves to be in nsaa

Speaking of puffy tacos...I married a girl from New Zealand. Her parents came to visit, when Northcross Mall was still a thing.

Her dad liked to sit on the bench outside of Furr's Cafeteria and watch the patrons come and go.

I asked him why he enjoyed that.

He replied, "I am amazed at how fat the women are, and that they insist on wearing mumble pants."

"What are mumble pants?", I asked.

"The stretch pants fat women wear. You can see the lips moving, but you can't hear what they are saying."

Edited by Deej
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

On 6/25/2019 at 5:24 PM, utee94 said:

Yeah I feel like El Chilito tacos are based more on traditional Mexican foods, compared to a place like Torchy's that hammers 37 non-traditional and seemingly unrelated ingredients into a tortilla and calls it a taco.  I like both, and both are certainly frequented by a lot of gringos, but I'm not sure the tacos themselves fit under the same category header.  Just my opinion, of course.

Yeah El Chilito is kind of a middle ground. It's definitely whitewashed but it is also still just a taco stand. Torchy's, Velvet, etc. take it to another level. 

On 6/25/2019 at 5:24 PM, utee94 said:

Torchy's that hammers 37 non-traditional and seemingly unrelated ingredients into a tortilla and calls it a taco.  

this is really why i dislike torchy's.  i'm all for creative, non-traditional tacos, but damn, torchy's throws together a bunch of shit that doesn't go together, slathers it in 4 different kinds of sauces, and calls it a taco.  total meh.

tacodeli has some pretty good tacos for what they are.  if you don't like the otto, i don't know what to tell you.

haven't seen tyson's tacos mentioned here.  damn good.  crispy duck taco, brisket taco, and burnt end taco all kick ass.  pastor is pretty good too.

of course, all of these places would be much better if they made their own tortillas.

Best thing about Tyson's . .. pick up the ukelele, croak out a song, and voila!  free taco.

My daughter and I were there once and she impressed, so they told her to keep playing.  She did, serenading the line for about 15 minutes.  They comped both our meals.

I went to Tyson's quite a bit 2014-2017 when I worked north-ish. The tacos were very good (2nd the crispy duck) and free beer on Fridays was always nice. You never knew what the keg would be- sometimes craft, sometimes Lone Star, etc. but always free. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2019 at 11:12 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

Taqueria’s do it better and don’t charge queso prices for it. Hell the Rooster sauce from HEB is almost exactly the same (much cheaper and last a lot longer). 

Well 

1) This is the gringo taco thread not the authentic interior Mexican taco thread and

2) I've had plenty of taqueria sauces that aren't anywhere near as good as the Dona at Tacodeli. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2019 at 11:12 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

Taqueria’s do it better and don’t charge queso prices for it. Hell the Rooster sauce from HEB is almost exactly the same (much cheaper and last a lot longer). 

When I go to El Pollo Rico and ask for an extra thing of salsa they charge me $.50. When I go to tacodeli I can take as much dona as I want.

Although I do prefer the green sauce at El Pollo Rico.

11 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

When I go to El Pollo Rico and ask for an extra thing of salsa they charge me $.50. When I go to tacodeli I can take as much dona as I want.

You're obviously not ordering in Spanish, gringo.

On 10/2/2019 at 10:26 AM, irishtexan said:

El Pollo Rico's green sauce is legit. 

• 2 years later...