The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Just a cool mixture of the 68 and 72 thinlines, but with a rosewood board!  Nicely done!

Thanks guys. This all came about because
I had a leftover Jazzmaster style neck so I was trying to figure out what to do with it.

The idea was to take all those 68/72 Tele mods and project them back to say, 1959ish. Besides, I didn’t have a Tele in my corral until now. So here it is.

Plays like a dream. I have a push/pull pot on the volume to split the hb coil so it gives me a pretty wide range of tone. And it’s light as a feather given the weight relieved by the f hole. Not a huge difference from a full bodied Tele but I certainly notice the difference.
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Equinox said:

I discovered Sky Guitars in Denton today. They had a few of the Parallel Universe models there, along with other cool stuff. Nice people. I'd never heard of the place.

As luck would have it, I'm in Denton this weekend visiting my family. I'll have to check it out.

And very nice looking guitar, Chad.

Edited by Art Vandelay

11 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Thanks guys. This all came about because
I had a leftover Jazzmaster style neck so I was trying to figure out what to do with it.

The idea was to take all those 68/72 Tele mods and project them back to say, 1959ish. Besides, I didn’t have a Tele in my corral until now. So here it is.

Plays like a dream. I have a push/pull pot on the volume to split the hb coil so it gives me a pretty wide range of tone. And it’s light as a feather given the weight relieved by the f hole. Not a huge difference from a full bodied Tele but I certainly notice the difference.

Had one of the 72 reissues in the mid 90s.  Fun guitar, but I ended up selling it when the electronics started to go south.  Always think about the fact that the Japanese Fenders go for so much these days when the ones I had always had issues with the switches and pots.

Played the Monterey strat yesterday for a a little over a hour. It needs a set up but other then that it sounds good. I’m overall happy with the purchase and should be a nice piece added to the collection 

Do you have any other single coil guitars? If so how does it compare?

I thought I'd chronicle my fail-trip in an attempt to make myself feel better. The following images are not the actual pieces I saw.

I drove from Odessa to Abilene for a 7 on 7 football tournament. I had made loose plans to possibly go to either DFW or Austin on a gear hunt, if we didn't make the qualifying round. And we didn't, so I chose DFW and hit the road.

Things I'm really interested in finding right now-

Les Paul Junior, single p90, wrap around bridge/tailpiece, tobacco sunburst. In the $600-&700 range.

PRS SE Singlecut, black, p90s.

Epiphone "Inspired by 1955" Les Paul Custom with p90s, satin black.

Marshall Class 5 combo, simply because I used to have one and wish I had kept it.

Anything else that piques my interest....

I first went to Denton to check out a couple of the pawn shops. Didn't find much, but in the process I discovered Sky Guitars. Very cool place and nice folks. They had a pretty cool LP Special (2 p90s and TOM bridge) but it was in TV yellow and that ain't my thing. Also had a PRS SE Tremonti that was marked $279 (steal) but it had a pretty good sized ding on the top. So I bought a couple of packs of strings and left.

Next drove to Guitar Center Dallas Central Expressway. They had the Epi Les Paul Custom in stock and it was marked down $120. Checked it out, but it just didn't grab me by the booboo. Pass. They also had a very cool Telecaster MIJ Fotoflame that was in great shape for $550.

wad2ssgtr6x4hskazwzi.jpg

^^^That's the closest image I could find of one. These things are getting more and more collectible apparently, going for $850- $900 on Reverb. I had one way back when and it was cool. This one however did not have the chunky neck like the one I had owned previously. Tempting, but pass. 

Next to Sam Ash down the street. They had a very cool Epiphone Brent Hinds (Halestorm) Flying V that was marked down from $799 to $599.

sig%20guitar_0.jpg

^^^ not the actual guitar I saw. It had a small ding on the bottom side, otherwise in brand new condition. I'll own another V one day, but not this day. So I wandered around to the amp section, and holy shit-

marshall-class-5-creme.jpg?w=300&h=275

Marshall Class 5 combo, and it's in cream! $375 on the tag. Good price. I turned it on and piddled with it for a while, and then left it on longer while I stood and stared at it. Piddled some more, beat on it to see if it made any weird noises, etc. Nothing. Seemed to be in good shape. Should I buy it? Yes? No? Do I need it? Yes? No? It's getting late, and I need to decide. In the end,

Like a mature adult I talked myself out of it. As I was driving west on 635 I kept thinking go back, get it. But I didn't. Wound up getting home at 3am, wondering why I even made the trip.

So yesterday morning I checked Reverb for Class 5 combos and found a mint unit in black for $300 plus shipping. Drank a cup of coffee and took a quick shower, then checked the listing again. Gone. 

Fuck.

So that was my fail trip. Excuse me ladies while I go kill myself.

Edited by Equinox
  • Like 1

I've got a '56 Epi LP with the P90 Pros. Great guitar. That black '55 ticks all the boxes, though. Bought it the same day I shattered my hand, so I have some PTSD issues with it.

(and that fat neck. Mmm... 38ffde81254ca19e101db6878401f466.jpg

Edited by Deej

The Epi P90 Pro soaps in my 339 sound better than anything I've ever played. Just a lovely, articulate  clean with an amazing fullness when you dial them down, and raunchy as all get out when you turn them up. Just the perfect marriage of pickup and guitar. 

7 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

I actually don’t... come to think of it all LP PRS & the cobain has humbuckers.. 

Congrats on the Strat.  I look forward to your thread entitled "I just got a Single Coil Telecaster, Holy Crap, I can't believe how great this guitar is!"

• Like 2

I thought I'd chronicle my fail-trip in an attempt to make myself feel better. The following images are not the actual pieces I saw.
I drove from Odessa to Abilene for a 7 on 7 football tournament. I had made loose plans to possibly go to either DFW or Austin on a gear hunt, if we didn't make the qualifying round. And we didn't, so I chose DFW and hit the road.

Things I'm really interested in finding right now-
 Les Paul Junior, single p90, wrap around bridge/tailpiece, tobacco sunburst. In the $600-&700 range.
PRS SE Singlecut, black, p90s.
Epiphone "Inspired by 1955" Les Paul Custom with p90s, satin black.
Marshall Class 5 combo, simply because I used to have one and wish I had kept it.
Anything else that piques my interest....

I first went to Denton to check out a couple of the pawn shops. Didn't find much, but in the process I discovered Sky Guitars. Very cool place and nice folks. They had a pretty cool LP Special (2 p90s and TOM bridge) but it was in TV yellow and that ain't my thing. Also had a PRS SE Tremonti that was marked $279 (steal) but it had a pretty good sized ding on the top. So I bought a couple of packs of strings and left.

Next drove to Guitar Center Dallas Central Expressway. They had the Epi Les Paul Custom in stock and it was marked down $120. Checked it out, but it just didn't grab me by the booboo. Pass. They also had a very cool Telecaster MIJ Fotoflame that was in great shape for $550.
wad2ssgtr6x4hskazwzi.jpg
^^^That's the closest image I could find of one. These things are getting more and more collectible apparently, going for $850- $900 on Reverb. I had one way back when and it was cool. This one however did not have the chunky neck like the one I had owned previously. Tempting, but pass. 

Next to Sam Ash down the street. They had a very cool Epiphone Brent Hinds (Halestorm) Flying V that was marked down from $799 to $599.
sig%20guitar_0.jpg
^^^ not the actual guitar I saw. It had a small ding on the bottom side, otherwise in brand new condition. I'll own another V one day, but not this day. So I wandered around to the amp section, and holy shit-
marshall-class-5-creme.jpg?w=300&h=275
Marshall Class 5 combo, and it's in cream! $375 on the tag. Good price. I turned it on and piddled with it for a while, and then left it on longer while I stood and stared at it. Piddled some more, beat on it to see if it made any weird noises, etc. Nothing. Seemed to be in good shape. Should I buy it? Yes? No? Do I need it? Yes? No? It's getting late, and I need to decide. In the end,

Like a mature adult I talked myself out of it. As I was driving west on 635 I kept thinking go back, get it. But I didn't. Wound up getting home at 3am, wondering why I even made the trip.
So yesterday morning I checked Reverb for Class 5 combos and found a mint unit in black for $300 plus shipping. Drank a cup of coffee and took a quick shower, then checked the listing again. Gone. 
Fuck.

So that was my fail trip. Excuse me ladies while I go kill myself.

That's not a fail trip. That's a great way to spend a day.

3 hours ago, TexasEd said:

What do you guys think of the Fender Tex-Mex pickups?  Hard to tell through the computer speakers but I think I like them as an upgrade over stock and saving some money over the Texas Specials.

Definitely an upgrade over what comes in the Standards, which I think are ceramic. Alnico 5 magnets, which to me, tend to sound punchier. I believe those are the pups used in the Jimmy Vaughan Strat.