The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I think it's about restraint and not putting all the sauce on all the time.  Same thing with singers - people who glide into every note and add warbles and runs on everything and never just hit a pitch usually kinda suck.

I had the bass version of this realization going over all of the parts of a song with a fine toothed comb with a producer before recording an album.  I think it was a chorus part that I had played a trillion times and had added all sorts of little melodies all over it because they were cool and otherwise it was boring, and so of course I played every single one of them every single time.  I think he said something about hooking up with a girl and how you don't want her to just shove the whole thing in her mouth immediately.  Play it straight, add in the one part, take it out but put the other one in, mix in the third part, build it up, only do the whole thing on the very last time and make it the best combined version of the parts.

• Like 2

Mark Hollis of Talk Talk famously said, “Before you play two notes learn how to play one note — and don’t play one note unless you’ve got a reason to play it.”

I think it applies to the bend discussion here, but two things:

1. Talk Talk got so minimalist toward the end I think they were uncomfortable playing more than one note per phrase, and

2. If I played that obscurely and esoteric I’d likely suck even more than I do.

I will say this: it’s my opinion that a guy like Jeff Beck gets more out of one long subtle bend than a guy like Joe Bonamassa can get out of a ten measure lead full of lightening scales.

On 8/1/2018 at 10:03 PM, Paul Wesley said:

Lemme dig out some mp3's and I'll post them.  

jimmyjazz and hulla are too kind.  

(edit to add:  My record is at the iTunes *store* -- album is titled, "When I Let Go."  It's not on Apple Music though, so likely you'd have to dust off an old app to get it to your smartphone.  

Open to suggestions of easiest place to post mp3 files.)

Wow, you even have a couple of music videos on Youtube.

Should we all bow down in greatness?

So let's play a little game. Saving this dog is going to cost me about $7000 when it's all said and done.
What guitar or rig could I have bought myself with that money?

Damn, Deej. Poor doggo.

I’d sell all my gear if i had to, not even be 3/4 of the way there and not think twice. I haven’t owned a dog in years but they are some of God’s most precious, selfless and faithful creatures. I learn so much every time I meet one. All the best to you both, brother.

I think it's about restraint and not putting all the sauce on all the time.  Same thing with singers - people who glide into every note and add warbles and runs on everything and never just hit a pitch usually kinda suck.
I had the bass version of this realization going over all of the parts of a song with a fine toothed comb with a producer before recording an album.  I think it was a chorus part that I had played a trillion times and had added all sorts of little melodies all over it because they were cool and otherwise it was boring, and so of course I played every single one of them every single time.  I think he said something about hooking up with a girl and how you don't want her to just shove the whole thing in her mouth immediately.  Play it straight, add in the one part, take it out but put the other one in, mix in the third part, build it up, only do the whole thing on the very last time and make it the best combined version of the parts.

This is good advice. I’m trying to teach my daughter the same about singing. Learn to sing all the notes in time and on key and then you can start to learn where to emote.

It’s also often hard advice to take.
  • Like 1

I was rooting around the garage and came across some pics of me in a high school band about 80lbs ago.  It's like I slipped and fell and got covered in 90s.

IMG_20180805_0002.jpg?dl=0

IMG_20180805_0004.jpg?dl=0

Nothing says metal like a calculator watch.

IMG_20180805_0005.jpg?dl=0

Still have the V.

"Cutlass Nogood"  Or we might have been "Albino Meat Machine" at this point.  We played the Abyss once, but that was it that I recall.  We might have played a party, but that also might have been a slightly different lineup.

• Like 6

I was rooting around the garage and came across some pics of me in a high school band about 80lbs ago.  It's like I slipped and fell and got covered in 90s.
IMG_20180805_0002.jpg?dl=0
IMG_20180805_0004.jpg?dl=0
Nothing says metal like a calculator watch.
IMG_20180805_0005.jpg?dl=0
Still have the V.
"Cutlass Nogood"  Or we might have been "Albino Meat Machine" at this point.  We played the Abyss once, but that was it that I recall.  We might have played a party, but that also might have been a slightly different lineup.
I was gonna ask if you could go back in time and sell me that V, but since you still have it??????

Mark Hollis of Talk Talk famously said, “Before you play two notes learn how to play one note — and don’t play one note unless you’ve got a reason to play it.”

I think it applies to the bend discussion here, but two things:

1. Talk Talk got so minimalist toward the end I think they were uncomfortable playing more than one note per phrase, and

2. If I played that obscurely and esoteric I’d likely suck even more than I do.

I will say this: it’s my opinion that a guy like Jeff Beck gets more out of one long subtle bend than a guy like Joe Bonamassa can get out of a ten measure lead full of lightening scales.

I started to realize long ago that my favorite guitar players aren’t the Bonamassa’s of the world but rather the ones who squeeze out every single drop of tone out of each note.

I’m amazed at Joes talent but it doesn’t really move me, compare that to Neil Young and David Gilmour. They aren’t afraid to hold on to one note until it’s been throughly explored. That is what gets to me.

59 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

I started to realize long ago that my favorite guitar players aren’t the Bonamassa’s of the world but rather the ones who squeeze out every single drop of tone out of each note.

I’m amazed at Joes talent but it doesn’t really move me, compare that to Neil Young and David Gilmour. They aren’t afraid to hold on to one note until it’s been throughly explored. That is what gets to me.

Ronnie Earl and Anson Funderburgh come to mind.

58 minutes ago, BoomMF said:

I got that guitar in high school sometime in '93. My family went into the Guitar Center on Westheimer in Houston and out of the blue dad asked which of the guitars was my favorite. Without hesitation I pointed at the Flying V. It was $1700, but it might as well have been $17,000,000. It was just my favorite, not anything I even contemplated owning, our family didn't have $1700 guitar money. Dad walked over to the salesman and after a few minutes the guy drags the ladder over, climbs up, and brings the most beautiful glossy midnight black Flying V down and my heart started doing backflips. Dad looks at me and says, "You better play it. A lot."

I might have started breakdancing right there in the middle of the store.

Dad had never done anything like that before and hasn't done anything like that since, for me or himself. I found out later the guitar wasn't paid off for several years after. It was a strain for him for some time, though he never let me know that.

I don't sell things. I like to collect things or I might just be a run-of-the-mill hoarder. Who knows. What I do know is I'm not selling that guitar. Not THAT guitar.

My brother did that with my Washburn acoustic I own. It was like $450 used and he was like it’s yours. I had the same feeling. He’s my older brother and that’s the nicest thing he’s ever done for me. Still haven’t even found a higher end acoustic that plays and feels as good as that one. 

• Like 2

My brother did that with my Washburn acoustic I own. It was like $450 used and he was like it’s yours. I had the same feeling. He’s my older brother and that’s the nicest thing he’s ever done for me. Still haven’t even found a higher end acoustic that plays and feels as good as that one. 
Probably never will.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, BoomMF said:
2 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Probably never will.

A new hummingbird felt pretty awesome though😳

Well, my oldest, who plays tuba as his primary instrument, has a bass and three of my old guitars (pointy Yamaha, Ibanez acoustic and an Epi Paul that needs lots of love/work) and his little brother is a pretty damn good drummer and tympanist that has a Yamaha kit and an electric kit for practice. The latter has recently taken an interest in my Ibanez bass. It’s his when i replace it. They’re not wanting for musical outlets. But technically I’ve only bought them one cheap bass and amp so I am slacking.

I'm getting back into guitar again because my son picked it up. He's learning old songs and we listened to Night Ranger's "don't tell me you love me".

Holy shit. I never realize how hard those solos were. They were a little bit before my time so I didn't know it but both those guitar players in Night Ranger were badasses.