The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

20 hours ago, DougO said:

Honest opinions, please. I've been whittling away at my vinyl floor tile Strat pickguard in the last couple of weeks, before I was delayed by other life issues. I cut it just a little thin on the lower left corner where my thumb is, but I think it would be OK assuming I get the screw holes and other holes right. Still needs to be smoothed out a little.

What do you think if its potential?

tilepg.jpg

A. Black pickup covers will look best.

B. White pickup covers will look best.

C. Aged white pickup covers (not pictured) would look best.

D. Either way, it will look cool on a black Strat. But who's going to wax it once a month?

E. It will look like some dork slapped a goofy looking hunk of linoleum on a decent guitar.

black, I think, but envisioning how something like that would look is not my strong suite.  Too bad you don't have a gold strat.  Is that pretty flat, or is it at all reflective?

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

black, I think, but envisioning how something like that would look is not my strong suite.  Too bad you don't have a gold strat.  Is that pretty flat, or is it at all reflective?

It's pretty close to matte with very light texture. Catches a tiny bit of light. It should be fairly easy to get it either more matte or more glossy.

Not bad for a brand new MIM Standard.

https://www.adorama.com/fe144702532.html?sdtid=11930255&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_source=rflaid62905

Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS Electric Guitar (Brown Sunburst)

$400
+ Free Shipping
+23 Deal Score
11,532 Views 63 Comments
Adorama has Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS Electric Guitar w/ Maple Fingerboard (Brown Sunburst) on sale for $399.99 after applying coupon code SUMMERHEAT (can be applied during checkout above payment screen). Shipping is free. Thanks iconian.

Doug, I'm sorry man. That thing will always look like floor tile. You'll be playing a pergocaster.

On different note, my son's been trying to learn some Ozzy songs. Fuck, Jake was an absolute beast. Everyone talks about Randy and Zakk (who are both awesome) but I'm starting to think Jake was the best of the bunch. Sacrilege, I know.

Edited by ajax

1 hour ago, Bogeywon said:

is this on a G&L?

Yup

Played it last night after letting the strings “stretch” an extra week.

It started out of tune as expected, but stabilized a bit. Still went out of tune after playing for 10 minutes  

The nut is properly lubed with graphite, and the tuners aren’t slipping. Pain in the butt.

That said, the second position sounds amazing.

13 hours ago, ajax said:

Doug, I'm sorry man. That thing will always look like floor tile. You'll be playing a pergocaster.

On different note, my son's been trying to learn some Ozzy songs. Fuck, Jake was an absolute beast. Everyone talks about Randy and Zakk (who are both awesome) but I'm starting to think Jake was the best of the bunch. Sacrilege, I know.

I appreciate the candor. I'm not 100% on it myself, but I'll see how it looks when I'm done.

I can also go with a black pg on black with one I already have, since I can't seem to locate a tortoise that I really like for a suitable price.

7 hours ago, Superhero said:

Yup

It started out of tune as expected, but stabilized a bit. Still went out of tune after playing for 10 minutes  

The nut is properly lubed with graphite, and the tuners aren’t slipping. Pain in the butt.

I don’t really know much about them. Can anyone tell me why everyone seems to love them so muc? The price looks cheap on them 

Yup

I’ve always used the EVH method to stretch strings:

Starting with 1, hold the string at 15 and pull three or four times ‘til you feel a bit of give. Then move to 12 and repeat. Repeat at the next marker all the way down to 3. Rinse and repeat for 2-6. I think Eddie used to add at least one handle of Jack and a half dozen Marlboros. Pretty much optional.

Take care though. A knockoff Rose can have ridiculously sharp saddles if it’s not meticulously maintained.

Hope this helps.

I have a friends 80's Epiphone Explorer here. Several years ago she tried changing a pickup herself and somehow fucked the whole thing up. I found she fried both Volume Pots, so I ordered quality new ones. I got everything soldered together and found the 3/8" bushings are too big for the holes drilled int he body by just a touch. A little research and I learned that the Epiphones use cheap Chinese pots that have a slightly smaller bushing. The cure is to either drill it out, or try to find another set of cheap Chinese pots. If I drill it out I will also need to get new knobs since the existing ones wont fit a proper pot. I bought a new switch-tip and that wouldn't fit the cheap Chinese switch, so I may replace that too.

I spoke to her and she's OK with me drilling out the holes to accept the upgraded pots, but man I don't feel right with a drill near and otherwise great playing guitar.

What should I do here? Drill it out or find some cheap pots?

Here's what I found out about playing guitar again after a long time off. When I was a kid, I wanted to be Yngwie or Paul Gilbert. I practiced all kinds of scales and chromatics and string skipping drills. I must have played that stupid Gilbert lick over a million times. 

Now I'm all grown up and I don't care about that flashy stuff. I'm just practicing phrasing and articulation. And wouldn't you know it I can play faster and flashier now than I ever could have when I was doing mindless scales all the time. 

Man, I wish I could travel back in time and tell my stupid teenage self to practice phrasing instead. But who knows, my stupid teenage self probably would've said "shut up old man, I wanna shred."

1 hour ago, ajax said:

Here's what I found out about playing guitar again after a long time off. When I was a kid, I wanted to be Yngwie or Paul Gilbert. I practiced all kinds of scales and chromatics and string skipping drills. I must have played that stupid Gilbert lick over a million times. 

Now I'm all grown up and I don't care about that flashy stuff. I'm just practicing phrasing and articulation. And wouldn't you know it I can play faster and flashier now than I ever could have when I was doing mindless scales all the time. 

Man, I wish I could travel back in time and tell my stupid teenage self to practice phrasing instead. But who knows, my stupid teenage self probably would've said "shut up old man, I wanna shred."

It wasn't wasted time, though.   I guarantee you are significantly better than if you hadn't practiced those scales years ago.   The pathways are all still there in your brain.   Often after just stopping a certain thing for months, I'm much better when I come back to it.  I think the brain sometimes continues to work on shit even when you stop practicing it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ajax said:

But if you did you probably wouldn't be able to play faster now. All that scale work and fingering exercise you did gave you a good foundation and built up your skills.

I wish I had done that.

It's a little like typing. I took typing in junior high. I barely passed. I hated it. I sucked at it. But in college it became necessary to use a keyboard. I started typing and discovered I could actually type.

3 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

It wasn't wasted time, though.   I guarantee you are significantly better than if you hadn't practiced those scales years ago.   The pathways are all still there in your brain.   Often after just stopping a certain thing for months, I'm much better when I come back to it.  I think the brain sometimes continues to work on shit even when you stop practicing it. 

Yep, I'll practice something until I get to the point I'm going off the rails with it and getting frustrated. Set it aside for a few days and it comes back easy when I pick it back up. I think your brain does need the time to process it and do its thing.

There ain't no cure for the summertime blues...

Man, 21 years old. What a damn shame. These type of dudes fascinate me. I mean, who did this guy copy? Who laid the foundation for this guy to build on? He reminds me of Buddy Holly in that. Pure originals.26972ce52502d58a7f7ebcb0d3c4e4f3.jpg

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I dig your graveyard shots and would like to join you in solving some crimes as we drive around in a burnt orange GTO.

I also dig this photo from Matchless

lpmatchless.jpg

Usually not big fan of relic but that one speaks....and those soaps...wood

Yes, props for Boom's marker shares....

Edited by noharleyyet