The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Weird questions, but whatever, I'm rolling:
1.  for righties, what's your strongest "go to" left hand finger for bending, etc.?  (reverse question for lefties)
2.  is your vibrato "classic" (a pivot about the fingered string) or "fake" (moving the string up and down with the pivot finger)?

For me:  
1. ring finger
2. oh so fake

Ring finger
Classic

13 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Fourth night in this Dallas hotel before I noticed this on the wall in my room

cfcc2911d246ec260da9f95ed81433b6.jpg

Makes sense, not a pickguard screw in sight

Heard an interesting quote about SRV...something along the lines of "he makes people want to learn the guitar and people who play the guitar want to quit"

Edited by locodos
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, locodos said:

Heard an interesting quote about SRV...something along the lines of "he makes people want to learn the guitar and people who play the guitar want to quit"

I remember seeing him sometime in the early 90's - maybe it was an ACL taping.  I told the person I was with, "There's really no reason for me to own a guitar."

• Haha 3

Hot take coming in….

I think Billy Strings could potentially have a similar impact as Stevie Ray. I’m not saying he’s the next Stevie at all, but I am saying he’s the first dude since Stevie that I can recall that has a similar force of nature to his playing.

Been down quite a few YouTube rabbit holes with him lately. There are all kinds of vids with him on stage with massive artists/performers/players who at some point or another in the video just give off a look of holy fuck what’s going on here, generally followed by a look of resigned admiration. Derek Trucks, Tommy Emmanuel, Jackson Brown come to mind, probably others as well.

Maybe this is about as newsworthy as water is wet. But at least for me I’ve really enjoyed getting into his work so far and he is just insanely insanely good. As Jimmy Vaughan called Stevie, this guy is an open channel. The universe bestowed this guy with something very very few get imo. Really looking forward to seeing where he goes with it.

/hot take over

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

Hot take coming in….

I think Billy Strings could potentially have a similar impact as Stevie Ray. I’m not saying he’s the next Stevie at all, but I am saying he’s the first dude since Stevie that I can recall that has a similar force of nature to his playing.

Been down quite a few YouTube rabbit holes with him lately. There are all kinds of vids with him on stage with massive artists/performers/players who at some point or another in the video just give off a look of holy fuck what’s going on here, generally followed by a look of resigned admiration. Derek Trucks, Tommy Emmanuel, Jackson Brown come to mind, probably others as well.

Maybe this is about as newsworthy as water is wet. But at least for me I’ve really enjoyed getting into his work so far and he is just insanely insanely good. As Jimmy Vaughan called Stevie, this guy is an open channel. The universe bestowed this guy with something very very few get imo. Really looking forward to seeing where he goes with it.

/hot take over

I caught his show here a few weeks ago.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/billy-strings/2023/state-farm-arena-atlanta-ga-43ba67af.html

Almost three hours, no opener. It was epic. I agree completely with your take, hot or not. I’m really looking forward to seeing him again in Napa in May at Bottlerock with a nice wine and gummy buzz.
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

My favorite of Billy’s Doc covers:

Mentioned above too, but here’s his studio version with Don Julin on mandolin.

“Billy’s playing has really inspired me to sell my guitar.”

Nah.  Inspires everyone to simply put their whole body and soul into it.  Can’t match the talent, but approaching the passion will do fine.

• Like 1

Imagine it sounds as good as it looks...gorgeous body and neck back goredho.  

55 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I had a chance to check out the 1992 spruce & maple Guild D-30 that showed up on FB marketplace and it’s following me home.  It’s not as nice as the Lowden was, but it was about a fifth the price after negotiations, a good deal for this model and a considerably better player than my existing dreadnought.

EFA59529-4950-4A11-8E22-33F9F5BA1654.jpeg

1D23E37B-D536-4CDA-83A5-1BE5FAA2B1B0.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Goredho said:

I had a chance to check out the 1992 spruce & maple Guild D-30 that showed up on FB marketplace and it’s following me home.  It’s not as nice as the Lowden was, but it was about a fifth the price after negotiations, a good deal for this model and a considerably better player than my existing dreadnought.

1D23E37B-D536-4CDA-83A5-1BE5FAA2B1B0.jpeg

Nice ass! 

3 hours ago, Goredho said:

I can’t stop ogling this guitar, it’s really pretty. I’m not sure I’ve seen a prettier piece of maple than what’s on the back, and I think it’s a single piece of wood.

0BE221B8-91E2-4883-B966-75501E81C180.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I can’t stop ogling this guitar, it’s really pretty. I’m not sure I’ve seen a prettier piece of maple than what’s on the back, and I think it’s a single piece of wood.

0BE221B8-91E2-4883-B966-75501E81C180.thumb.jpeg.983284f7fe255a2a310cc0848134e700.jpeg
3564E6ED-0D0C-4207-A42A-B5F5124BA28C.thumb.jpeg.77eac41110f26ddc887413a71795a21b.jpeg
9A05112C-F07D-48ED-80A6-0937C151FD62.thumb.jpeg.2ff2083fd1c177bdeba409bb7e0f8bb5.jpeg

I’m assuming all of this ogling is happening in your living room post-purchase, correct?

That is indeed a purty rear-end.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I was thinking about unloading the Plus Top Pro on the right, but might go with 50's wiring and a new set of pickups. Just upgrade all the electronics. It's a great player, but the pups lack a little something after hearing the Burstbuckers in the 59s. 

Any suggestions on pickups?

20230402_104047.jpg

Edited by Deej

I’m sure the Lowden was really nice but it is not as cool as a Guild. Guild is the Gretsch of acoustics. By which I mean they are fucking cool.

I’ve been really eyeing these lately. Haven’t found anywhere to go play one though

79d9f5ad22e64d1f9ed5c9e0fa2c3313.jpg

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GD55EAB--guild-d-55e-acoustic-electric-guitar-antique-sunburst
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

I’m sure the Lowden was really nice but it is not as cool as a Guild. Guild is the Gretsch of acoustics. By which I mean they are fucking cool.

Don’t get me wrong, if I had $4500 falling out of my pocket or the guy wanted to let the Lowden go at a ridiculous price where there was nothing but profit in a resale, I’d have bought it over the Guild.  It’s an unquestionably superior guitar.  But this Guild is a really good guitar and a big upgrade for me at a small fraction of the price of the Lowden.  I’m happy with what I bought.

If I’m going to spend Lowden type money for a guitar I intend to keep, it’s gonna be a long scale electric spanglish 350.

3 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I’ve been really eyeing these lately. Haven’t found anywhere to go play one though

79d9f5ad22e64d1f9ed5c9e0fa2c3313.jpg

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GD55EAB--guild-d-55e-acoustic-electric-guitar-antique-sunburst

Gorgeous guitar.  Why not just buy and take advantage of Sweetwater’s return policy it if it isn’t what you want it to be?  That LR Baggs anthem is supposed to be great.  I ordered one for my Guild this morning.

I have the Anthem in my main gigging Larrivee. They’re great.

But the answer to your question is I’ve just always found acoustic guitars have enough variation that they kind of need to be played before buying. Would rather not deal with the return approach. But maybe that’s the way of things these days.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Deej said:

I was thinking about unloading the Plus Top Pro on the right, but might go with 50's wiring and a new set of pickups. Just upgrade all the electronics. It's a great player, but the pups lack a little something after hearing the Burstbuckers in the 59s. 

Any suggestions on pickups?

20230402_104047.jpg

The mojotone 59s are really good, especially for the price.  I plopped those into my SG faded.

• Hook 'Em 1

I had to catch up on Guild history. I had thought that Fender killed the brand altogether, but I guess they sold it to Cordoba in 2015. Maybe there was a dip in production? I remember thinking that it was sad the brand was gone. Glad to be wrong about that that though.

On 4/2/2023 at 7:53 PM, Celery Man said:

I had to catch up on Guild history. I had thought that Fender killed the brand altogether, but I guess they sold it to Cordoba in 2015. Maybe there was a dip in production? I remember thinking that it was sad the brand was gone. Glad to be wrong about that that though.

I’m repeating, but Gibson’s head acoustic luthier was poached by Guild a few years ago.  So, looks like he wants to match that quality.