The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

@Celery Man  That J45 is stunning.  I borrowed one to play at @Litig8r open mic several years ago at his kickass house in FL.  Loved it.  I started wanting one after hearing Peter Case's song, "Still Playing".   

"I'm up in the with a J45, waiting on a wire and wondering how I'll survive,
With a stack of yellow paper and a broken pen". 

• Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Paul McCartney’s long-lost Höfner bass guitar — dubbed “the most important bass in history” for its role in the creation and recordings of dozens of the Beatles classics — has been found over 50 years after it first went missing.

The Lost Bass Project, a grassroots campaign that hoped to discover what happened to the instrument, announced Wednesday that the 1961 Höfner 500/1 bass guitar had been rediscovered, and McCartney himself confirmed in a statement that he was back in possession of the bass.

“Following the launch of last year’s Lost Bass project, Paul’s 1961 Höfner 500/1 bass guitar, which was stolen in 1972, has been returned,” McCartney’s official site announced. “The guitar has been authenticated by Höfner and Paul is incredibly grateful to all those involved.”

The Lost Bass Project was launched in 2018 but only came to prominence in 2023 when worldwide coverage reinvigorated the search. Initial tips revealed that the bass hadn’t simply gone missing: It was stolen from the back of a van on October 10, 1972, in the Notting Hill area of London. 

Without naming names, The Lost Bass Project managed to track down the perpetrator of the robbery and then who the thief sold the bass to, the landlord of a Notting Hill pub. “Looking into old records we established who that was and then gained further information about what happened next, who had the bass and what was done with it. We were able to trace the bass over the years,” the Lost Bass Project wrote of the search.

A September 2023 article in the British press brought additional attention to the search, including its most important lead.

“As a result of the publicity someone living in a terraced house on the south coast of England remembered an old bass guitar that was in their attic,” The Lost Bass Project wrote Wednesday. “They got this out and realized just what they had. Within days it was back with Paul McCartney!”

Despite its half-century in the wilderness, McCartney’s 1961 Höfner 500/1 bass guitar — which he purchased that year in Hamburg and used on the Beatles’ first two albums, including the hits “Love Me Do” and “She Loves You” — thankfully just had some wear-and-tear.

“The bass is complete and still with its original case,” the Lost Bass Project added. “It will need some repairs to make it playable again, but a team of professionals can easily carry these out.”

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The drummer in my dad band wanted to buy a guitar so he could learn what the bass player and I would talk about (chord progressions, basic theory, etc.).

He bought a fucking Ovation.

image.thumb.png.5490b02ebdc9c82fb4486c4b2fa2923a.png

Very hard to sit down and play.  They go wandering off your lap.

In other news, I had a red letter date yesterday.  Chad Jr. has been taking piano lessons for a long while.  Way back during covid, he got interested in guitar and we tried to do the Fender lessons together, but he got frustrated, then I got frustrated and didn't handle it so well.  So I just left it alone hoping I hadn't fucked it up for life.  Last night we had made a deal to practice together (he on piano, me on guitar) and after about an hour of that, he asked me to show him some basics on guitar.  You could have knocked me over with a feather.  One of my great dad moments showing him how a C on the guitar was just like a C on the piano.  Thought I'd share that will y'all.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5

29 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The drummer in my dad band wanted to buy a guitar so he could learn what the bass player and I would talk about (chord progressions, basic theory, etc.).

He bought a fucking Ovation.

image.thumb.png.5490b02ebdc9c82fb4486c4b2fa2923a.png

season 7 death penalty GIF

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Did anyone tell him?

We didn't know he had bought an Ovation until he texted us that photo of his beautiful new Ovation.  At that point, we were pretty much "ah cool, congrats!".

We had already suggested the usual -- Yamaha, a decent Seagull, whatever.  He didn't listen.

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

Facebook marketplace is not any better than Craigslist, goddamn.

I’ve had good luck on both but just have to weed through the morons.

psa if you reach out to me on either, be able to string actual English words and sentences together in a way that forms coherent thoughts of you want me to respond. 

1 minute ago, tbone_ said:

I’ve had good luck on both but just have to weed through the morons.

psa if you reach out to me on either, be able to string actual English words and sentences together in a way that forms coherent thoughts of you want me to respond. 

will $50 take you for giutar today. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I listed the Katana plus a boss FS-6 switch pedal for $125. I think that's pretty reasonable, I'm not trying to squeeze a bunch of money out of the amp (it's a mk1 probably 4 or 5 years old, a brand new mk2 is like $250) but even just the pedal is $80 new. I've got a guy trying to haggle with me, started at $90 and I said "no", he keeps insisting that it's today. $90 today. He worked up to $100 today. Another guy asked how far I am from Myrtle Beach (different state, like 4 hours or something). Another wanted to give me a Yamaha acoustic. And the most reasonable offer is a guy who wants me to drive it to Durham for $135. But I'm not going to do that. I really wish you could flag this for strictly local.

• Haha 1

I listed the Katana plus a boss FS-6 switch pedal for $125. I think that's pretty reasonable, I'm not trying to squeeze a bunch of money out of the amp (it's a mk1 probably 4 or 5 years old, a brand new mk2 is like $250) but even just the pedal is $80 new. I've got a guy trying to haggle with me, started at $90 and I said "no", he keeps insisting that it's today. $90 today. He worked up to $100 today. Another guy asked how far I am from Myrtle Beach (different state, like 4 hours or something). Another wanted to give me a Yamaha acoustic. And the most reasonable offer is a guy who wants me to drive it to Durham for $135. But I'm not going to do that. I really wish you could flag this for strictly local.

I'm here for these stories though.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I would have listed their prices separately totaling about $150 to $165 and then said “Willing to Negotiate Package Deal”.

Then they think that they are scoring getting you down to $125 to $140.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Celery Man said:

selling shit is a PITA.  On the rare occasion I need to sell something, I put it on consignment and eat the fee, because it's easier than dealing with assholes.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah I’m sure I could maximize value by splitting up, anchoring high, whatever. I just want to get rid of stuff but don’t quite want to give it away. They should have a “buy nothing” for neighborhood sales, although even our suburban buy nothing group is infested with Jawas.

• Like 1

It's one of those Sire Larry Carlton LP's. 

I kept reading nice things about them, but was always a bit doubtful. A buddy bought the humbucker version and it is really nice. Ebony board, rolled edges on the fretboard, really nice fret work, satin neck, and a nice heel carve. I was really impressed. Just feels and plays fantastic. Saw the P90 version and pulled the trigger. (Actually saw that top on the P90 version and pulled the trigger. I'm a sucker for wider flame and a bit of asymmetry.)

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Deej said:

It's one of those Sire Larry Carlton LP's. 

I kept reading nice things about them, but was always a bit doubtful. A buddy bought the humbucker version and it is really nice. Ebony board, rolled edges on the fretboard, really nice fret work, satin neck, and a nice heel carve. I was really impressed. Just feels and plays fantastic. Saw the P90 version and pulled the trigger. (Actually saw that top on the P90 version and pulled the trigger. I'm a sucker for wider flame and a bit of asymmetry.)

Sweetwater?

Is that your actual one?