Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Perroni's got a thread going with players going to the Texas and aggy spring game if anyone has it.

I always love these lists because they are always so wrong in retrospect. Ride fell through, car trouble, family event, visiting Texas, are generally the boiler plate excuses.

43 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Perroni's got a thread going with players going to the Texas and aggy spring game if anyone has it.

I've talked a couple guys now who plan to go to both. Should be interesting to see how long they stay at A&M/if they arrive late to Austin. Kam Dewberry was just at A&M on Saturday so he says he will probably leave at halftime to head to Austin. Alfred Collins is planning to go to both as well. A&M kicks off at 1 p.m. and Texas at 6:30. There is a two-hour window again on the SEC Network but last year, it lasted far beyond that.

(E.J. Holland) Confidence Board: Where UT stands with defensive targets

HIGH

DL Prince Dorbah, Highland Park — Dorbah will be back at Texas this weekend for the spring game, and the Longhorns are trending heavily in the right direction. Dorbah has built an extremely strong bond with the Texas staff, and it’s clear the four-star prospect wants to stay close to home.

CB Kelee Ringo, Saguaro (Ariz.) — Ringo hasn’t visited any school more than once with the exception of Texas. In fact, the five-star prospect has been to UT on three different occasions and chose to spend his entire spring break in Austin. Right now, Texas is the team to beat, but the Longhorns will have to fend off several suitors.

CB Kitan Crawford, John Tyler — Crawford recently named a final three of Baylor, Tennessee and Texas. The Longhorns offered Crawford just before junior day weekend in February and impressed him during his time on the Forty Acres. Texas has done a terrific job in this recruitment and should be able to keep him close to home.

S Chris Thompson, Duncanville — A four-star prospect, Thompson is one of the country’s top safety prospects and has been to Texas on several occasions. The Longhorns have a secret weapon in recruiting assistant Ra'Shaad Samples, who is the son of Thompson’s high school head coach. On top of that, Texas A&M has faded.

MEDIUM-HIGH

DL Alfred Collins, Bastrop Cedar Creek — This one should be a slam-dunk as Collins is a Texas legacy and has been to UT more than any other program. However, he recently visited Oklahoma and will be at Texas A&M’s spring game. Collins is also looking to make an official visit to Notre Dame.

DL Princely Umanmielen, Manor — Like Collins, Umanmielen is a local kid and has been to Texas more than any other school. Umanmielen will be back on campus for UT’s spring game this weekend. Still, Umanmielen has always liked Oklahoma, and Texas A&M is making a strong push.

DL Vernon Broughton, Cy Ridge — Texas was thought to be the clear favorite for Broughton as recently as last month. But the dynamics of his recruitment have changed, which means this one is not exactly a guarantee. Texas A&M is now a team to really watch. With all this said, Broughton will be at the UT spring game.

S Bryson Washington, Houston CE King — This one is going to come down to Texas and Oklahoma. Right now, the Longhorns have the momentum in his recruitment as they hosted him twice this offseason. But Washington will be in Norman this weekend for OU’s spring game.

Medium

DL Jalen Logan-Redding, Rock Bridge (Mo.) — Logan-Redding recently made an unofficial visit to Texas and came away with an offer. The Longhorns have had success recruiting the state of Missouri and will look to get him back for an official visit.

LB Justin Flowe, Upland (Calif.) — Texas has been gaining a lot of buzz with Flowe. After all, the Longhorns landed some big fish from California last recruiting cycle, and Flowe has consistently mentioned UT as a major player in his recruitment. Still, he has not made a visit.

LB Brennon Scott, Bishop Dunne — Scott’s recruitment seems to be wide open at this point in his recruiting process. While most expected him to land somewhere in the SEC, Texas has done a nice job of getting him on campus and establishing itself as a true threat.

CB Jahari Rogers, Arlington — Rogers seemed all but locked up to Oklahoma, but Texas is making things extremely interesting. The Longhorns will host him for the spring game this weekend, and he has a budding relationship with the aforementioned Samples.

CB Jalen Kimber, Mansfield Timberview — Texas A&M was considered the early favorite for Kimber, but it appears interest has faded there. And that has opened the door for Texas as the most likely landing spot close to home. However, Kimber is very interested in schools like Alabama, Georgia and Notre Dame.

CB Joshua Eaton, Aldine MacArthur — Our Crystal Ball picks are with Texas, but this one isn’t going to be easy for the Longhorns to win. Texas A&M recently jumped in the picture, and the Aggies are neck and neck with the Longhorns at this point in the process.

Medium-Low

DL Jason Harris, Higley (Ariz.) — Harris made a visit to Texas earlier this offseason, but he may opt to go the basketball route. There hasn’t been much buzz since the trip.

LB Sav'ell Smalls, Kennedy Catholic (Wash.) — Smalls has stated that he wants to make a visit to Texas this offseason. But until he does, we’ll keep him in this category.

LB Damian Sellers, Saguaro (Ariz.) — Sellars hasn’t expressed a ton of interest, but the Longhorns have strong ties at Saguaro and landing his teammate, Ringo, could help.

CB Ryan Watts, Little Elm — Texas is still a factor for Watts and is set to host him for an unofficial visit this week. However, signs are pointing to Oklahoma, which will host him for its spring game.

S Lathan Ransom, Salpointe Catholic (Ariz.) — Like Smalls, Ransom has talked about making a visit to Texas this offseason. But until he actually makes it to Austin, we’ll keep him here.

S Xavion Alford, Shadow Creek — Texas surged in Alford’s recruitment after hosting him for two visits this offseason. However, LSU made a huge impression and has always been the biggest threat to Texas. The Tigers now have the momentum.

LOW

DL Jaquelin Roy, University Lab (La.) — Roy has actually been to Texas twice, but the ex-LSU commit seems more interested in other programs.

DL Jacobian Guillory, Alexandria (La.) — Guillory notched an offer from Texas this offseason and seemed interested, but LSU will be tough to beat.

LB Josh White, Cy Creek — Texas was an early frontrunner and hosted him for a visit last month, but LSU is now the team to beat here.

CB Fred Davis II, Jacksonville Trinity Christian (Fla.) — Davis has expressed some interest in visiting UT, but Clemson has the edge.

CB Dwight McGlothern, Klein Oak — McGlothern has been to Texas on a couple of occasions, but it’s tough to see him landing in Austin.

CB Jahquez Robinson, Sandalwood (Fla.) — The Alabama commit has talked about making an official visit to Texas, but there isn’t much here right now.

S Joel Williams, Madison Prep (La.) — Williams recently visited Texas, but we don’t expect much to come of it.

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I always love these lists because they are always so wrong in retrospect. Ride fell through, car trouble, family event, visiting Texas, are generally the boiler plate excuses.

Not to mention the frame of mind of their recruits and players. They are still dealing with the death of nipsey hustle. 

11 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Are we going to see anyone commit by the end of May?

I feel Iike some of the prospects we are after mentioned a late spring, early summery decision timeline?

By the end of May? That seems very likely, with the combination of the spring game, JMBLY, and probably a couple OVs sprinkled in. Maybe put the O/U at 2.5?

17 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

csb/

I was dropping my kid off at school this morning and Dorbah walked in front of my car.  He looked at me...I threw him a hook em and gave him a "you know what's up" nod.  He smiled big, gave me a chin nod of acknowledgment and kept walking.  Pretty sure that meant something.

Doing God's work right there, brother.

CHIEF

19 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

csb/

I was dropping my kid off at school this morning and Dorbah walked in front of my car.  He looked at me...I threw him a hook em and gave him a "you know what's up" nod.  He smiled big, gave me a chin nod of acknowledgment and kept walking.  Pretty sure that meant something.

You left out the part where you tossed him keys to a new F250.  Thank you for your service.

IT

JOE MOORE

Texas continues to scour the St. Louis market for potential prospects. Here's a new one; Joe Moore, a 6-foot-4, 250-pound defensive end from St. Louis (Cardinal Ritter College Prep) will take an UOV to Austin this week.

Moore holds 17 offers including Iowa, Iowa State, Missouri, and Arizona State. UT likes his size and versatility, and his potential to play multiple spots along the d-line.

Moore is another contingency prospect if other priorities fall through, but definitely worth a look.

MORE SPRING GAME NAMES

To go along with known commodities like Chad Lindberg, Vernon Broughton, Prince Dorbah, and Bijan Robinson, Texas has a few new names added to the Spring game visitor list.

DL Alfred Collins, Bastrop Cedar Creek: He was on campus two weeks ago for UT’s scrimmage, and now it looks like he’ll return. He’s also supposed to be taking an OV to Texas on June 21st, but I haven’t confirmed that. An official in June isn’t ideal, but Texas has made it work before.

LB Robert Wooten, Stafford: The violent, tackling machine is big on Texas, but Dorbah might be the only b-backer take in this class. I wouldn’t mind if the staff made room for this guy.

DB RECRUITING
Little Elm’s Ryan Watts has a top 3 of Texas, OU, and Notre Dame. He just left South Bend and had a blast.

John Tyler’s Kitan Crawford will take an OV to Tennessee soon. I wouldn’t be surprised if he shuts it down before the summer.

Mansfield Timberview’s Jalen Kimber is trending Alabama after his UOV. Oregon offered him yesterday. This might go the distance. 

Whether the staff wants it to be one or not, the spring game serves as a checkpoint on the 2020 recruiting race. In many cases it offers data on where a prospect might be leaning toward, especially with so many spring games on one day this year.

The aftermath of spring games can reveal Texas’ standing in several recruitments and whether it needs to change its strategy in any way based off of the information it gathers.

Texas is hosting several priority targets during the spring game and additional names will come to light over the coming days. It is important though to remember where Texas currently sits before the beginning of the cycle passes and more information about uncommitted prospects starts to trickle out.

Currently, Texas has five commitments and they’re all on the offensive side of the ball.

QB Hudson Card, Lake Travis

Much has been written about the first pledge in Texas’ 2020 class. His early commitment left it up for debate whether he was a QB or an athlete being told he had the opportunity to play under center. Ever since he forced into action for an injured Matthew Baldwin (2018 Ohio State signee) in the Cavs’ state finals run in 2017, Card has shown he has what it takes to be a quarterback in Tom Herman’s system.

His passing ability for someone who moonlighted as a varsity QB his first few seasons is pretty advanced. In his first full-time season, and with the benefit of five-star wideout Garrett Wilson, Card accumulated 50 passing touchdowns and nine rushing touchdowns.

In addition to his passing, he has receiver-level elusiveness that allows him to work in both designed runs and off-schedule plays. These traits were frequently on display this season against some of the better defenses LT faced. His elusiveness partly has to do with him measuring a very receiver-ish 6-foot-2, 179 pounds. This makes him dangerous and multi-dimensional, however, sometimes he relies too much on his natural athleticism which affects his mechanics. There are several cross-body, cross-field throws that will get him in trouble against better quality competition than what AISD typically has to offer.

At this point, he is a high-quality quarterback with plus athleticism you’d expect to come out of Lake Travis.

OL Jake Majors, Prosper

Majors has one of the best qualities in a highlight tape I believe offensive linemen can have: nastiness. In his first few clips it's readily apparent that playing a 48 minute football game against Jake Majors would be an incredibly unenjoyable experience.

While he looks to have good technique, it's accentuated by a rare mean streak. The third play of his junior highlights where he and his teammate move to the next level on an RPO is something I see Texas coaches working on in practice constantly, and he made whoever he was going against look like a sled.

Majors is a great fit in the offensive line class and a win over Stanford, something Texas fans haven’t seen a ton of recently on the offensive line.

His Prosper film is all left tackle. He’s an interior player at the next level, and could be a center long-term if classmate Logan Parr isn't.

He obviously has the disposition and ability for the interior, and the size for it as well. First reports around the time of his commitment had him in the 6-foot-4 range. He’s cleared that up this spring and has told reporters he is 6-foot-3, 290 pounds.

That’s a little shorter than some of the other OL Texas has recruited in recent years, but his on-field demeanor and how he treats others on the football field more than makes up for that difference in height. I think his current composite rating of .9153 is justifiable.

OL Logan Parr, Helotes O’Connor

I saw Parr play live this past year, and after that game I wasn’t terribly impressed. He was at LT with another P5 offensive lineman at his side, and while he wasn’t beat often, I didn’t view him as that dominant.

At the time, Parr wasn’t committed and seemed to be on a longer timeline. Eric and I both mentioned how he planned to do his homework for every school with a list of pros and cons about each filling an entire page in a notebook.

Not too long after, the list of pros for Texas was enough for him to commit.

Since then, I’ve also realized something I didn’t have the best grasp on when I went to go see him; he’s an interior player. The good news is he knows that.

Parr is the primary center candidate in this class. During the spring camp circuit, I only saw him take reps at center even though O’Connor will likely continue to use him at LT similar to Belton's usage of Zach Shackelford. Even from his tackle film, there are things you can see that translates well to the interior. I think his movement and bend is better than his strength right now, which translates well to moving to the second level on inside zone and finding a linebacker on outside zone plays. His strength will come (he possesses a good build), but that’s not the hallmark of his game.

Parr was the second commit of the class and has joined Majors in recruiting in a more private than public manner, perfect for an OL.

OL Jaylen Garth, Port Neches-Groves

While the other two current OL commits project to the interior, Garth is a tackle the whole way for me.

I personally believe that as far as entertainment value, the best Hudl tapes are 1) this guy’s 2) a dime-dropping QB and 3) offensive linemen who are walls between the defender and the QB. There’s a lot of number three in Garth’s film.

He maintains an athletic base in his sets. Even when defenders almost rip loose, he manages to re-engage and keep moving. He finds players well at the next level.

He’s part of a three-man class currently that will swell to five or six. Chad Lindberg is one of the main targets for one of those spots for Texas. The remaining 1-2 could go to a handful of players.

Lindberg could be a tackle or a guard, but Garth’s career on the football field will be on the outside in my opinion. He is comfortable playing both tackle spots.

His floor is more exciting to me than Parr’s or Majors’.

ATH Jaden Hullaby, Dallas Bishop Dunne

I believe the best case scenario for Hullaby is he becomes Chris Warren with give-a-darn.

Warren flashed some ability late in 2017 to be that h-back type player that would provide an additional constraint for defenses to have to worry about. He wasn’t likely to get carries, but he could if needed. He also was imposing and had blocking ability, but was one of the offense's best backfield/matchup threats because of his size.

Hullaby can be that, but it will take a while to realize that potential. He provides a positive step for Texas recruiting Bishop Dunne, a school that regularly fields P5 prospects. He addresses a need. Clear targets at tight end for the 2020 class haven’t materialized yet, so the Longhorns gained a commitment from someone who could serve as another positional hybrid in place of the tight end on the field.

He isn’t the sexiest take, but he won’t be playing a sexy position at Texas.

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/04/open-post-tuesday-april-9th/

Ethan Pouncey | Quick-Update
– Super K

As you know, Texas hosted a player I’ve had my eye on for a little while in 2020 DB, Ethan Pouncey (Winter Park, FL).

Pouncey is the brother of Texas WR, Jordan Pouncey. Texas has been in touch with Ethan for the past few months and Ethan recently took a visit to Texas.

I caught up with Ethan after the visit and he tells me that coach Washington did discuss the possibility of an offer, telling Ethan that they will drop by in the Spring and assuming they like what they see the other will be forthcoming.

Pouncey wasn’t able to go through camps like the Opening this winter due to a minor injury but he should be good to go for Spring Ball.

Tuesday Visitor Note
– Charlie S

Quick note here as I touched base with Super K this morning and he let me know that 2020 DB Jahdae Barron (Pflugerville Connally HS, TX) will be visiting campus tomorrow (Tuesday the 9th)

*** Barron (5’11” 175) is currently a TCU commit and while Texas has been recruiting him for a while now, they have yet to extend an offer.

*** That could change soon and should that happen, they’d be tough to beat (he grew up a Texas fan).

*** One other note about Jahdae…he is very close friends with 2020 DL target Princely Umanmielen and his current commit status to TCU has actually played a role in keeping TCU in a good spot with Princely.

24 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/04/open-post-tuesday-april-9th/

Hide contents

Ethan Pouncey | Quick-Update
– Super K

As you know, Texas hosted a player I’ve had my eye on for a little while in 2020 DB, Ethan Pouncey (Winter Park, FL).

Pouncey is the brother of Texas WR, Jordan Pouncey. Texas has been in touch with Ethan for the past few months and Ethan recently took a visit to Texas.

I caught up with Ethan after the visit and he tells me that coach Washington did discuss the possibility of an offer, telling Ethan that they will drop by in the Spring and assuming they like what they see the other will be forthcoming.

Pouncey wasn’t able to go through camps like the Opening this winter due to a minor injury but he should be good to go for Spring Ball.

Tuesday Visitor Note
– Charlie S

Quick note here as I touched base with Super K this morning and he let me know that 2020 DB Jahdae Barron (Pflugerville Connally HS, TX) will be visiting campus tomorrow (Tuesday the 9th)

*** Barron (5’11” 175) is currently a TCU commit and while Texas has been recruiting him for a while now, they have yet to extend an offer.

*** That could change soon and should that happen, they’d be tough to beat (he grew up a Texas fan).

*** One other note about Jahdae…he is very close friends with 2020 DL target Princely Umanmielen and his current commit status to TCU has actually played a role in keeping TCU in a good spot with Princely.

Stealing DB commits from TCU is never a bad thing, and I really like this trend we ave going where we steal a couple of Patterson’s top commits every cycle. We held on to Graham in The transition class, nabbed their top DB target in Jamison in 2018 (along with plenty of other guys they wanted) and took Warren and Lewis from them last year.

in general, it’s a good sign for this staff’s evals that the high upside guys we want are the same guys elite evaluators like Patterson are after.

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

csb/

Hope your son is cool because we are going to need a diary of all of his wardrobe choices.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

hinting at where we are with Umanmielen?

Certainly could read into that but more likely it’s:

1. Generation of ‘info/talking points’ in an industry where actual info and talking points are few and far between

and 

2. Hedging with the added bonus if his offer sheet goes hot that “you heard it here first”

995ing is about throwing a lot of shit on the wall, since there’s so little accountability for their airballs.

Its April, there’s nothing to talk about beside visitor lists.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Stealing DB commits from TCU is never a bad thing, and I really like this trend we ave going where we steal a couple of Patterson’s top commits every cycle. We held on to Graham in The transition class, nabbed their top DB target in Jamison in 2018 (along with plenty of other guys they wanted) and took Warren and Lewis from them last year.

in general, it’s a good sign for this staff’s evals that the high upside guys we want are the same guys elite evaluators like Patterson are after.

When prospects are in the same ballpark in terms of quality, Saban loves to steal from Auburn and LSU, and now A&M 

41 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

How is he still getting the introductory price? This is bullshit!

Don't worry. If he violated the 10-day grace period, he has to pay the $25 late fee.

Anybody know if Dorbah,'s plans are still go for this weekend?

We need Dorbah when we make our run.

7 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Certainly could read into that but more likely it’s:

1. Generation of ‘info/talking points’ in an industry where actual info and talking points are few and far between

and 

2. Hedging with the added bonus if his offer sheet goes hot that “you heard it here first”

995ing is about throwing a lot of shit on the wall, since there’s so little accountability for their airballs.

Its April, there’s nothing to talk about beside visitor lists. 

Or, you know, it could mean if we miss on one of our three top targets, he's a backup plan they're keeping tabs on