Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

6 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Same but the longer and longer we go without getting him on campus or at least setting a date for a UV, the less likely it seems. Hopefully we’ll get him on campus by this summer and then back in the fall for an OV. In that case, I’d tap the breaks hard on Omeire.

brakes* 

Does Conyers belong in this discussion as well? Looks more like a big WR than a TE to my eyes.

8 hours ago, victory88 said:

Damn, Carrington straight up putting other schools on blast.  I remember when Mack would constantly dick suck other schools, even our own rivals.   Love that this staff doesn’t give a fuck and will throw punches to those dipshits in Norman and CS.

8 hours ago, thepop said:

Why not? They negative recruit the shit out of us.

This.  I have no problem with Carrington's tweets.  The aggy's and Gary Paterson's of college football shit on Texas a lot worse. 

• Like 3

Updated 2020 visitors list from IT. The Alabama DB commit, Jahquez Robinson, isn't going to make it.

QB Hudson Card, Lake Travis (Austin, TX): The Texas pledge and Elite 11 invitee continues to improve in the off-season while keeping tabs on potential UT commits. He'll be working the other high profile uncommitted players, with an assist from his future linemen.

RB Tahj Brooks, Manor (Manor, TX): The three-star rated but perhaps four-star level tailback gets overlooked with the in-state crop, but he has D1 impact potential with almost 20 offers including Colorado, Utah, TCU, Georgia Tech, and Minnesota. Arkansas and TCU are two that are probably on him the hardest. Drayton keeps his eye on him.

RB Frank Brown, Sterling (Houston, TX): The 6’0 APB has a dozen offers - Arizona, Colorado, Arkansas - and sneaky scoring ability.

RB Ty Jordan, West Mesquite (Mesquite, TX): The little stick of dynamite plays running back/slot, and is returning to Austin for the first time since Junior Day. Keeping him warm is key, USC recently offered, but they have to genuinely recruit him.

RB Bijan Robinson, Salpointe Catholic (Tucson, AZ): Texas wants at least one elite running back in 2020 and the five-star from Arizona fits the mold. This weekend is big for UT; if the staff makes an impression, that’ll trickle down to teammates and UT targets, Jonah Miller and Lathan Ransom.

RB De’Quavion Thomas, Steele (Cibolo, TX): Shorter, thicker running back with solid lateral ability but he's accurately rated as a .84 prospect. Colorado, Bowling Green among his offers.

WR Jalin Conyers, Gruver (Gruver, TX): One of the hottest prospects in the nation, the 6’4, 220-pound WR/TE has earned offers from LSU, Georgia, Michigan, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oregon, Texas A&M, Ohio State and Penn State among others in less than two months. He’s a natural fit at X, and maybe too talented not to pursue. Potential offer alert, especially given the distance he's traveling. Gruver is closer to Cheyenne than it is Austin, in more ways than one. His family is said to prefer a small town atmosphere so reactions after this weekend will be important.

WR Troy Omeire, Fort Bend Austin (Sugar Land, TX): For the third time in five weeks, the 6’4, 218-pound receiver sees himself as a great fit in Austin. A&M still looms. Perhaps more importantly, his mom will be making her second trip in the last month or so. We feel UT is in the strongest position to land the four-star.

OL Chad Lindberg, Clear Creek (League City, TX): Lindberg will reunite with his boys, Jake Majors and Logan Parr this weekend. The more those three get to know each other (you can include Garth in there too) the harder it is to see him anywhere else. We'll certainly get quotes from him after the visit.

OL Jake Majors, Prosper (Prosper, TX): Majors, like Parr, will be working on Lindberg as well as the defensive linemen who are visiting.

OL Jaylen Garth, Port Neches-Groves (Port Neches, TX): Garth, like Majors and Parr, will be working on Lindberg as well as watching his close friend, Roschon Johnson, play at DKR.

OL Logan Parr, O’Connor (San Antonio, TX): I asked Parr who he'll be recruiting, "Working on a couple of d-linemen. I have to play Vernon Broughton in 2k while we're there to show him who owns the sticks." I mentioned A&M feels like they made a move for the elite linemen. Parr said he struggled to see Broughton in maroon. I concur.

DT James Gore, Staley (Kansas City, MO): An OOS option that Oscar Giles likes, Gore has a few offers but might not have the length the coaches are looking for. Still, you have to love the staff recruiting previously uncharted territory with so much fervor. 

DE Vernon Broughton, Cypress Ridge (Houston, TX): We're running out of superlatives for the giant four-star and top defensive linemen in Texas this cycle. UT just has to keep recruiting all-out and earn his commitment. Perhaps there will be some turbulence but with Herman involved we think it will be navigated. As a precautionary measure we'll probably drop the oxygen masks for a few of you along the way.

DE Alfred Collins, Cedar Creek (Bastrop, TX): One of the few must-gets in 2020, Collins is a quiet kid that lets his tape do the talking. He visited two weeks ago and now his folks will join him. It would be a shock to see someone who bleeds UT (his words) end up elsewhere, much less a rival school.

DE Devin Grant, Antonian Prep (San Antonio, TX): He plays basketball and runs track. Unsurprisingly both benefit him on the field. His biggest issue, other than being at a school just as likely to produce a Pope as it is a high level D1 athlete is he's a bit of a tweener for UT. He holds offers from Duke and Colorado and is hearing from Tech, A&M, and Houston. He also visited for Junior Day.

DE Princely Umanmielen, Manor (Manor, TX): He picked up Washington on Thursday, and immediately crossed them off the list because they run a three-man front. Not really but yeah kinda. I think UT can overcome the negative pitch, and employing a four-man front in the Spring Game wouldn't hurt. We know they've been repping it. I'd still pick UT at this point.

DE/LB Robert Wooten, Stafford (Stafford, TX): The @UTexasfootball favorite loves UT. He's a guy a lot of schools like and has been told he'll receive spring visits from A&M, OU, LSU, West Virginia, Baylor and more. I'm surprised Baylor hasn't offered. Texas Tech really has his eye right now. He might have the best get-off in the state. If it's not him, it could be...

LB Prince Dorbah, Highland Park (Dallas, TX): The ultimate b-backer, the four-star defender and three-time state champion wins like DJ Khaled, but has more staying power. Texas looks great here and I don’t see that changing.

LB Brennon Scott, Bishop Dunne (Dallas, TX): A throwback linebacker of sorts, he’s got the size and striking ability, just wonder if he can cover in the Big 12 or if he'll need to be protected. Scott's high on UT and if we knew he'd be pursued hard we'd probably have Texas as the favorite.

CB Joshua Eaton, Aldine MacArthur (Houston, TX): One of the many in-state corner targets, Eaton is a take if others - Ringo, Kimber, Rogers, Crawford - fall through.

CB Aaron Reynolds, Tyler Junior College (Tyler, TX): Interesting prospect with very little fanfare. Late bloomer with South Carolina offer. Texas kicking the tires. 

CB Jahari Rogers, Arlington High (Arlington, TX): We don't think OU will have room for Jahari unless others go elsewhere. But we're also not sure that's the reason he likely won't end up at OU. If UT puts the gas pedal down and stays on it they might just land him. Rogers recently ran a 10.8 100.

CB Frank Wilson IV, Brandeis (San Antonio, TX): The son of UTSA coach has some decent film. 

S Xavion Alford, Shadow Creek (Pearland, TX): UT's number one goal this weekend is to ensure he doesn't make an abrupt decision any time soon. I'm not ready to concede him to LSU just yet.

ATH Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage (Carthage, TX): He’s looking great in T&F after a great junior season under the lights. If there’s room, he’s a Horn. If not, watch the Hogs.

ATH Jaden Hullaby, Bishop Dunne (Dallas, TX): It took the Bishop Dunne athlete less than a month to commit after UT verbally extended an offer. He could play H-back/FB or LB. He’s a fit regardless.

K Jake Ruiz, Cy-Fair (Cypress, TX): Ruiz went 6/8 with a long of 45 this past season. He was also 29/30 on extra points.

Darius Terrell on TFB on Jalin Conyers: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/04/open-post-weekend-april-12th-14th/

Big-time Sleeper on Campus This Weekend

Last week, I introduced Jalin Conyers to you guys as a name to start getting familiar with. As luck would have it, I was able to connect Conyers’ mother, Kimberly, and she informed me that the family is slated to be on campus this weekend for the 2019 Texas Spring Game.

“We have visits scheduled to Baylor, UT, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, LSU, and the University of Louisiana,” Mrs. Conyers stated. “We are visiting UT this upcoming weekend for the spring game on Saturday evening.”

Texas has recently started recruiting the talented 6’5, 215lb Athlete from West Texas with the intention of getting him to campus and figuring out where he best fits later. Conyers averaged over 20 yards per catch as a Junior, totaling 1,225 receiving yards and 19 receiving touchdowns, while also adding 4 scores rushing. On defense, he added 50 tackles (6 for loss) and 4 interceptions (1 return for TD) while lining up at Safety, Linebacker, and sometimes even Defensive End.

This recruitment is one that is just starting to heat up for Texas. With so much interest and so many different people vying for her and her son’s attention, I asked Mrs. Conyers what some of the most important factors will be in Jalin’s recruitment. “As a parent, the most important thing to me is that I feel like (coaches) are looking out for the best interest of the young man, not just the athlete.” Mrs. Conyers continued. “These young men have families that care very deeply about them and want to see them thrive as successful adults. Parents want to be included in this process and we need to feel reassured that our kids are going to be cared for …. mind, body, and spirit.”  

Does distance matter at all? (Gruver to Austin is over an 8-and-a half hour drive compared to a 3-hour drive to Lubbock and 4-hour drive to the Oklahoma schools)

“Selfishly, I would love for him to go somewhere close to home so that I can enjoy watching him play live. But, ultimately, I am turning this process over to God and letting him work on Jalin’s heart and life. As long as he is in control, I am fine where my son ends up. We will go to him if needed.”  

How big of a role will the team atmosphere play in his decision?

“Jalin is a very social, outgoing kid. He needs to feel like he is a part of a team that he can trust and rely on. He needs to know that he has coaches and people around him that he can go to if he has a problem or needs something.”

After interacting with Jalin myself, I got the sense that this is an unselfish young man that truly has the best interest of his team and teammates at heart. I got the same feeling from Mrs. Conyers when I asked about his positional preference. “He wants to play wherever he will be most effective and can help the team,” Mrs. Conyers said. “I will tell you from watching him his entire life that he likes to be a playmaker and thrives offensively.”

I too, get the impression that if he has a choice, Conyers would likely choose the offensive side of the ball.

While Texas has a chance to make a huge impression this weekend, there will be some stiff competition for Conyers signature if/when the Longhorns decide to make an offer. On top of offers coming in from the likes of Oklahoma, Michigan, USC, Georgia, and Oregon in the past few weeks, Conyers has an interesting fact about himself. He grew up a fan of an in-conference foe.

“His favorite school growing up was Texas Tech,” Mrs. Conyers said. “His Pops (my Dad) would always take him to games there, so he developed an affection for the Red Raiders at a young age.”

In my opinion, it is a great sign that Texas is able to get Conyers on campus for an unofficial visit while the (closer) competition has events happening on the same weekend. If Texas offers this weekend, as expected, I believe that the Longhorns are going solidify their place among Conyers’ top schools and will factor very heavily into this recruitment. While an early decision is not out of the question and things are always fluid in recruiting, look for Conyers to make a decision sometime before his Senior season begins.

Rivals put out an article talking about the spring games this weekend. It looks like we easily have the best visitor list. A certain other school is missing entirely.

No new info but here it is. Don't feel like fixing the formatting lol.

Spoiler

TEXAS

Texas has held several impactful junior days so far this spring which yielded verbal commitments from the likes of 

Jake Majors

and 

Jaylen Garth

. Coach Tom Herman’s staff is expected to roll out the red carpet again on Saturday under the lights as they welcome a large contingent of in-state prospects and priority targets back to The Forty Acres.

Among the current commitments expected back in Austin include Rivals250 quarterback 

Hudson Card

and Majors, as well as four-star tackle 

Jaylen Garth

and three-star 

Logan Parr

Texas is bringing in several more talented offensive linemen, namely priority tackle target 

Chad Lindberg

and 2021 studs 

Hayden Connor,

Tommy Brockermeyer

and 

James Brockermeyer

, who are legacies. Lindberg is deemed a Texas lean with Stanford, Georgia and LSU heavily in the mix. Tommy Brockermeyer, too, has strong connections but a major X-factor could be whether twin brother James lands an offer.

On the other side of the ball, there will be no shortage of talent along the defensive front. Four-star 

Princely Umanmielen

will return to campus. As will Rivals100 defensive end 

Vernon Broughton 

and 

Alfred Collins

. Edge-rushers such as

Prince Dorbah

and 

Brennon Scott

are both expected to return for the spring game after making earlier visits this spring. Class of 2021 defensive end 

Tunmise Adeleye

will also be returning to Austin and has the Longhorns in his lead group early on. A name to watch is Port Arthur Memorial (Texas) defensive end

Jordon Thomas

, who holds an early offer from Texas as he makes his way back to campus.

The visitor sheet will also feature several ranked skill position players such as Rivals100 wide receiver 

Troy Omeire 

and Rivals250 safety 

Xavion Alford

. They will be joined by highly regarded athlete 

Joshua Eaton

, running back 

Ty Jordon, 

Tulsa verbal 

Tahj Brooks

and speedy athletes 

Jahari Rogers 

and 

Kelvontay Dixon

. All of the aforementioned prospects have frequented Texas throughout the spring. Class of 2021 names to know include 

Latrell Neville

, who has made a string of visits to LSU of late; tight end 

Var’Keyes Gumms

, who was offered a few weeks ago; notable Pearland (Texas) tailback 

Brandon Campbell 

and Katy (Texas) quarterback 

Bronson McClelland

, who has strong ties to the staff.

OKLAHOMA

Not to be outdone by its archival, Oklahoma is in line for a big official visit weekend which includes priority targets in the secondary and along the offensive line.

Rivals250 offensive lineman 

Sedrick Van Pran

will make his first visit to Norman for the Sooners’ spring game. He has raved about his relationship with Lincoln Riley and Bill Bedenbaugh for weeks. He’ll be joined by fellow Rivals250 guard 

Akinola Ogunbiyi

, a one-time Texas A&M verbal who has been strongly linked to Oklahoma now that he has pressed reset on his recruitment.

Oklahoma offered Baton Rouge Madison Prep (La.) cornerback 

Major Burns

in March and will now get the talented prospect on campus for a spring game official. Another former Texas A&M pledge, Burns named the Sooners as a school pushing the hardest for his services. This is shaping up to be an Oklahoma vs. LSU battle with the Sooners gaining steam at the right time.

Also expected on campus is Rivals100 safety 

Bryson Washington

and Little Elm (Texas) cornerback

Ryan Watts

, who recently took an official visit to Arkansas. They will be joined by big-time 2021 wide receiver 

Cody Jackson

out of Richmond Foster (Texas) and Sooners athlete commitment 

Michael Henderson

, a projected H-back.

Jackson visited Norman earlier this spring and had high praise for his time with the staff, as well as his family’s take on campus. Richmond Foster is the alma mater of current Oklahoma standout CeeDee Lamb. It would not be surprising to see Jackson follow suit down the line.

FLORIDA

Some of the best from The Boot are bound for The Swamp this weekend. That group includes four-star 

Brandon Williams

, who is making his first trek to Florida. Dan Mullen visited his high school in January and made a strong impression. He named the Gators as one of three SEC schools making the strongest push along with LSU and Tennessee.

Jalen Lee

, a three-star tackle out of Live Oak (La.), is making his first trip to Florida as well. He was originally scheduled to visit last month, but rescheduled to take in the spring game. Florida s one of several SEC schools in the mix with Lee, who has visited LSU, Alabama and Georgia so far this spring.

Another defensive lineman to know is 2021 Terrebonne (La.) defensive tackle 

Maason Smith

, who will be making his first trek to Florida this weekend. Smith told Rivals his father is a Gators fan. He has made early spring trips to LSU, Texas and Alabama thus far, and will hit Florida and then Georgia next weekend. The Gators are the favorites for his teammate, Rivals250 athlete Ja’Khi Douglas, and are hoping to secure a package deal with Smith as well. He’s a national name to know in next year’s class.

Jalen Kimber

is a headliner out of the Lone Star State. The high three-star and Five-Star Challenge invitee took a Southeast tour last month with stops at Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Clemson, Georgia Tech and Auburn. He also flew up to Notre Dame last weekend. He’s had a return trip to Florida scheduled for some time and labeled the Gators as one of the schools pushing hardest.

KANSAS

It’s well-known that Les Miles has made several phone calls to Rick Ross about performing under the lights after the Kansas spring game on Saturday. One prospect that is taking advantage is Rivals250 quarterback 

TJ Finley

Finley has been committed to LSU for a year and is solid to that pledge. This will be his first official visit to another campus, a week removed from the Tigers’ spring game. Miles has not stopped recruiting Louisiana and an official visit from the state’s top quarterback committed to LSU is further evidence.

Expect the four-star to sign with LSU come December, but should a divorce take place, consider the Jayhawks one of the more likely landing spots.

ALABAMA

Three-star Destrehan (La.) running back 

Kyle Edwards

visited Alabama within days of landing an offer in the spring. He will return to Tuscaloosa for A-Day this weekend instead of other options including Notre Dame and Texas A&M.

Those three round out Edwards’ leading group of schools. He chose to return to Alabama instead of heading to either of school’s spring game largely due to the relationship he has forged with Pete Golding, his primary recruiter. Edwards is eyeing a summertime commitment before his senior season, but do not rule out a decision should the dominos fall into place over the weekend. The Crimson Tide are very high on his list

Additionally, soon-to-be national recruit 

Kaine Williams

will return to T-Town this weekend for A-Day. Williams visited Alabama earlier in the spring and will be back for this visit after speaking with Golding. He is also expected to camp there this summer.

Williams, a 2021 safety, has visited LSU, Florida and Texas A&M already this spring.

NORTH CAROLINA

Malik Hornsby

will take his first official visit to North Carolina this weekend. Hornsby, a Rivals250 dual-threat quarterback, has a fantastic relationship with new Tar Heels assistant coach Tim Brewster. Brewster is the reason why Hornsby was so closely connected with Texas A&M earlier in his recruitment and now a reason why North Carolina has asserted itself squarely in the mix for the elite prospect.

Earlier this spring, Hornsby listed off a short list of contenders in the mix. That group included A&M, as well as North Carolina, Oregon, Alabama, and Clemson. North Carolina is the first to get the four-star quarterback on campus – and for obvious reasons.

This official visit looms very large in establishing North Carolina as a legitimate contender for the elite Texas quarterback. Don’t anticipate a commitment in the aftermath of this visit, but it is a wide-open opportunity for the Tar Heels and first-year Coach Mack Brown to take advantage of.

Hornsby has been closely linked to the Aggies but is certainly trending toward his out-of-state options at the moment. North Carolina should be deemed a serious threat heading into the weekend.

MICHIGAN STATE

Rivals250 safety 

Darius Snow

is coming off an official visit to Arkansas and will make his second official visit to Michigan State this weekend. Snow is a Michigan State legacy. His father played hoops for the Spartans, who are currently the favorites for the four-star.

Snow is also high on Notre Dame and TCU, with schools like LSU and Alabama still in touch. This is the second springtime official visit for Snow, who will resume visits again in the fall for games.

While Michigan State is getting Snow on campus early, the Spartans are the team with the most momentum at the moment. Do not expect a public commitment this early on, though.

ARIZONA

Arizona will get Helen Cox (La.) safety 

Donovan Johnson

on campus for his first official visit. Johnson is high on Arizona, Arizona State and Houston, as well as Miami, which extended an offer this past week.

Kevin Sumlin has recruited Louisiana, and in particular New Orleans, very well in the past, and has identified Johnson as a top secondary target for the 2020 class. Privately, the three-star is interested in playing his college ball out-of-state and has identified schools out West as likely landing spots.

This official visit looms large for the Wildcats as they look to move into the pole position with Johnson early on.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

Crawford will be a 4* in the end.  Great eval by the staff.  Aggy will bitch and cry about it, but with that speed and if he puts out good Sr. tape he'll be a 4*.  Gerry Hamilton tweeted something out recently about Crawford would be one of the biggest risers in the rankings this spring so we may see him in the ESPN 300 on its next update.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd