Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Nacogdoches, June 8

Herman and staff will not be outworked. 

Just watched Bijan's HUDL highlights for the first time and holy cow he's not just powerful and fast but he's super quick twitch and shifty as hell.  I think there are some broken ankles in the defensive backfield on some of those runs.  I know we like Evans but Bijan appears to be just as good, at least to my untrained eyes. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hornius Emeritus said:

Herman and staff will not be outworked. 

Just watched Bijan's HUDL highlights for the first time and holy cow he's not just powerful and fast but he's super quick twitch and shifty as hell.  I think there are some broken ankles in the defensive backfield on some of those runs.  I know we like Evans but Bijan appears to be just as good, at least to my untrained eyes. 

My only question with Bijan is the level of competition he's facing.

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

My only question with Bijan is the level of competition he's facing.

I have another one. Is it pronounced like Azerbaijan? Or is it a short sound? TBH, I just said "Brian" in my head for a few months.

• Like 2

"Chris Tucker, Chris Rock, Morgan Freeman, James Earl Jones, Barack Obama, Mahershala Ali, Denzel Washington, Kevin Hart, Dave Chappelle."  Katfid

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday morning, Wednesday at brunch, Wednesday at lunch, Thursday, Friday double time, and Saturday. I take Sundays off.

-South Austin’s mom

• Like 1

The Stampede: Intel from Texas' major recruiting weekend

In this week’s edition of The Stampede, Horns247 recruiting analyst Mike Roach delivers the latest intel coming from recruits in attendance at the Longhorns’ Orange-White Spring Game.

— The spring game always provides a great opportunity to host multiple prospects and showcase the best parts of any program. The Texas staff under Tom Herman excels at tailoring visits in a way that makes each recruit feel special while serving the needs of the bigger audience. This weekend was no exception. We are told that the recruiting staff of Derek Chang and Bryan Carrington fostered a great atmosphere for recruits and their families, and the reaction from recruits reinforced what we heard.

— Recruits were able to get a gameday feel from observing Bevo Boulevard and seeing the pre-game activities from their vantage point. They also had a chance to speak with a “Texas Legends Panel” prior to the game. The panel consisted of former Texas greats Michael Huff, Nathan Vasher, Colt McCoy, Jamaal Charles, Earl Thomas and Fozzy Whitaker. I’m told the panel went over well, and the staff was able to showcase the NFL pedigree that comes with playing at Texas.

— Texas hosted multiple in-state prospects, but all eyes were on Tucson (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic running back Bijan Robinson. Robinson made the trip with teammate Jonah Miller, who picked up a Texas offer, along with his head coach and offensive line coach. I’m told the Texas staff did a great job with his recruitment, and the visitors were able to spend some extended time with the staff. Texas feels confident it will be able to get Robinson back on campus for an official visit, but the staff is also aware they face some heavy competition for his services. For the Longhorns, they simply need to follow the blueprint they established with major out of state recruits last year and keep themselves in position to close.

— Chad Lindberg made a return trip to Austin, and it sounds like the group of committed prospects did a great job working on him. Lindberg actually made his way into town early and spent some time with Hudson Card at his home before the game. Not only are the commits forming a close bond with Lindberg, but Chad’s mother, Emily, spent time with Kedi Smith-Parr, Traci Majors and Cindy Card. Lindberg is going to ultimately make the best decision for himself, but it helps having such close bonds with a few members of the Texas class.

— Cypress Ridge DL Vernon Broughton was also with the group of committed prospects and Lindberg. I’m told that outside of Lindberg, Broughton was the prospect the commits worked on the hardest. Texas was considered a front-runner in his recruitment early in the spring, and they did a good job getting him back on campus despite some of the changing dynamics in his recruitment. We continue to hear that Texas is a preference for Broughton’s family, but Texas A&M did a great job surging in this race over the last month.

— Prince Dorbah was another big target who was on campus for the spring game. Not much has changed for the Highland Park edge rusher, and Texas is doing a good job maintaining a lead for his services. Dorbah has been to campus so many times that visits don’t produce much new to him, but Texas is out-working every other school in the running for him.

— I’m told Bastrop Cedar Creek defensive lineman Alfred Collins is in the same boat as Dorbah and Broughton. All three prospects are taking things slowly and evaluating all of the programs recruiting them. Collins doesn’t speak much, and when he does, he rarely reveals anything about his recruitment. Collins also visited Texas A&M on Friday, and he remains high on the Aggies and Longhorns.

— Fort Bend Austin wide receiver Troy Omeire made the trek to Austin again. The pendulum is definitely swinging in this recruitment, and it seems like each week there is a back and forth battle between Texas A&M and Texas. The offense didn’t have a great performance, but Omeire knows how Texas utilizes big receivers, and that definitely is a sticking point in his recruitment. I’ve checked around with different sources at other programs, and no one has a great feel for where Omeire is truly leaning. He’d like to make a spring decision, but it wouldn’t be a shock to see him push things back.

— All Saints OL James Brockermeyer picked up an offer during the visit, and that’s good news for Texas fans who want to see James and his brother, Tommy Brockermeyer, on the 40 Acres. Texas should definitely be considered a leader for both, but I wouldn’t expect anything to go down right away. Both brothers are talking about taking their time and committing before their senior season. That said, I would be shocked if it wasn’t Texas at this point. The common links between their father’s history at Texas and their older brother, preferred walk-on Luke Brockermeyer, getting some playing time may be too much to turn down.

— Arlington cornerback Jahari Rogers is the prospect Texas might have made the biggest impact on this weekend. Rogers gave the visit glowing reviews, and I’m told that the Longhorns feel good about where things stand coming out of the weekend. Oklahoma generated a ton of momentum early in his recruitment, but Texas is a serious player here. The Texas staff is putting in a wholesale effort in this recruitment, and multiple coaches are involved. Jason Washington is leading the way, but Craig Naivar and Ra'Shaad Samples are also working on Rogers. Texas will likely get a chance to host him for an official visit, and the Longhorns should be considered a front runner in his recruitment at this point.

— LSU seemed to be the hot name for Shadow Creek safety Xavion Alford, but Texas was able to stem that momentum by getting Alford back on campus. Alford spent time with Michael Huff and Earl Thomas, and he said that they gave him a hard sell on committing. This has the feel of a recruitment that could change several times depending on where Alford visits, but Texas is squarely in the mix along with LSU and Texas A&M. I’m told that Texas and LSU are the programs standing out within that group.

— Texas also did a great job getting Aldine MacArthur cornerback Joshua Eaton back for a visit. Texas seemed like the runaway leader after offering in February, but Texas A&M jumped into the picture with an offer soon thereafter. Florida, LSU, Oregon and Oklahoma are also schools of interest for Eaton. Jalen Green’s performance really stood out to Eaton. Both players are built similarly, and both played for Fast 7v7. Expect Eaton to take his visits, but Texas re-gained some momentum for him.

E.J. Holland: Five recruiting takeaways from UT's spring game

1. No commitments — Texas didn’t come away with any commitments this weekend. But there is really no reason to panic. Look, we weren’t expecting any recruits to make verbal pledges over this weekend, so this should come as no surprise. Texas made an impression on several of its key targets and is methodically building this class. As you should know by now, Tom Herman and his staff have their own way of handling things every cycle and grabbing early commitments isn’t something they are known for. Finishing strong is.

2. Chad Lindberg — Texas hosted several major targets this weekend, but perhaps the most important on the offensive side of the ball was Lindberg. Following this visit, I still feel extremely good about where the Longhorns stand. Lindberg is growing close to Texas offensive line commits Logan Parr and Jake Majors and actually spent the first part of the day at the home of quarterback pledge Hudson Card. Lindberg’s mother, Emily, and Card’s mother, Cindy, are friends as well. It’s hard to envision Lindberg not ending up in Austin.

3. Swinging back — Texas appeared to have lost traction with four-star defensive back Xavion Alford after his recent visit to LSU. However, the Longhorns got Alford back on campus for the third time this offseason, which was huge for his recruitment. Alford wants to take his time before he makes a commitment, so there is still plenty of time for Texas to keep swinging here. Texas also made yet another move with four-star wide receiver Troy Omeire. While the pendulum has swung back and forth between UT and A&M, the Longhorns have the momentum here.

4. New offers — The spring game weekend resulted in an offer for 2021 offensive lineman James Brockermeyer. This one seemed more like when rather than if. Again, Texas likes to be patient with offers and didn’t extend a scholarship until it felt the time was right. James is obviously the brother of the state’s top overall 2021 prospect, Tommy Brockermeyer. The brothers are UT legacies and should land in Austin when it’s all said and done. Texas also offered fast-rising Gruver athlete Jalin Conyers, who has exploded on the trail with several major offers.

5. Elite 2021 OL group — The 2021 in-state offensive line class is absolutely special. Along with the Brockermeyer brothers, the Longhorns played host to elite 2021 recruits Reuben Fatheree, Hayden Conner and Bryce Foster. Texas A&M was pegged as the early leader for all three. However, Texas has done a tremendous job recruiting them over the last several months, and all gush about Herb Hand every time we talk to them. Landing at least a few of the five offensive linemen mentioned should be the top priority for next cycle.

Edited by satyanash

From Nahlin:

It’s probably known but if so I forgot that Vernon Broughton will enroll early at the school of his choice.

Just talked to his mom for a bit. They had a really strong visit (didn’t leave Herman’s office until 10:30 on Saturday night) and UT is the clear favorite, per my read of the situation.

• Like 6