Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

7 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Damn Kirby don’t give a shit about trying to  even remotely look clean.

why should he? Uga would rather land difference-makers like Kimber and Ringo than pat themselves on the back over being 'clean' (whatever that means in this day and age).

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

why should he? Uga would rather land difference-makers like Kimber and Ringo than pat themselves on the back over being 'clean' (whatever that means in this day and age).

While I agree with that, it makes beating them in the Sugar Bowl all the more satisfying.

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Before he publicly committed.

Got it.  What I don't get is why his recruitment seemed to get so cold.   Was that mutual?   Did he seem to have another favorite?   Are we still recruiting him hard?  I have seen his recent tweets and he hasn't committed anywhere.

8 minutes ago, UTEX90 said:

Got it.  What I don't get is why his recruitment seemed to get so cold.   Was that mutual?   Did he seem to have another favorite?   Are we still recruiting him hard?  I have seen his recent tweets and he hasn't committed anywhere.

The first rule of the Moot Club is don't talk about the Moot Club.

Justin Wells on Princely:

PRINCELY UMANMIELEN
The 6-foot-4, 260-pounder from down the road in Manor made yet another 20-min drive to DKR on Saturday. It's been well-documented that Texas and OU lead this recruitment. It'll be a Red River battle for the four-star's services. 
“I loved the visit,” said Umanmielen. “I got to sit in the defensive meetings and d-line meeting to see what it was like. The game was a little chilly but it was worth it.” 
After a night hanging with the players and other prospects, Umanmielen can see himself in burnt orange. He also has a fondness for the Sooners, but UT might have taken the lead over the weekend. 
I asked Princely who were some of the guys he communicates (calls/texts) with about potentially going to Texas. 
“Prince (Dorbah), Xavion (Alford), Hudson (Card) Logan, Alfred (Collins), Vernon (Broughton), and Kelee (Ringo),” said Umanmielen. 
Not a bad group to join if you're a Longhorn. He's yet to setup his official visit; UT might save his for a later date. Just know at the moment, it's Texas vs OU here and the Horns just took the third quarter lead.

17 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Rivals says we're getting an OV from this 5* LB on May 31st

https://247sports.com/Player/Mekhail-Sherman-46043181/

Suchomel said it was out of the blue to him and he was going to look around and see what's up lol

The national Rivals reporter that posted about the OV had this to say: "The Longhorns have done a nice job generating serious interest from a few top prospects in the Mid-Atlantic. Sherman (along with 5-star RB MarShawn Lloyd) is pretty high on Texas and he's excited to get a closer look at the program. With that being said, Georgia is the favorite here with Ohio State not far behind but they don't have an insurmountable lead. LSU, Florida, and Texas clearly have ground to make up but I won't rule any of these schools out right now."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

While I agree with that, it makes beating them in the Sugar Bowl all the more satisfying.

This. They can keep buying players. They're never going to win shit with Kirby Smart at the helm. It's just Ole Miss redux.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

This. They can keep buying players. They're never going to win shit with Kirby Smart at the helm. It's just Ole Miss redux.

It is interesting in that they are following the Saban model of getting the best talent by all means necessary, playing ball control football and letting your superior talent win out. Smart's main competition is Saban and Saban disciples and mutually assured destruction prevents them from turning on each other.

7 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Sounds pretty aggy.

The aggies haven't almost won it since WII. Georgia was in overtime in the national championship against Bama two years ago. To say that they're never going to win shit with Kirby at the helm after almost winning it and recruiting at an elite level takes a special amount of mental Olympics. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Bevo14 said:

Well, this ain't it either. They won the SEC two years ago.

And I know winning a conference ain't shit compared to a national championship, but I also know a lot of Longhorns who are plenty pissed that we have just three Big 12 championships in almost 25 years.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Well, this ain't it either. They won the SEC two years ago.

And I know winning a conference ain't shit compared to a national championship, but I also know a lot of Longhorns who are plenty pissed that we have just three Big 12 championships in almost 25 years.

Agree that three is not near enough, but Herman is getting ready to fix that.  And for all you haters, just get ready to suck on it because it is coming.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Fud said:

The aggies haven't almost won it since WII. Georgia was in overtime in the national championship against Bama two years ago. To say that they're never going to win shit with Kirby at the helm after almost winning it and recruiting at an elite level takes a special amount of mental Olympics. 

Or a mental amount of special olympics, if you prefer. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

True, but we have never been in a division that is complete shit like Georgia is.

Come on man, this is a bit of hyperbole. SEC scheduling sucks balls, but lets not pretend that playing South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Missouri, Tennessee and a Florida team that looks like it's right back in the saddle is garbage compared to a schedule that includes, Kansas, Iowa State (love what Campbell has done and will continue to do), West Virginia, Oklahoma State, Baylor, TCU, Tech, Kansas State and one good football program in Oklahoma. Pick your grab bag of the other 5 teams and you're anywhere from worse, to par, to a bit better than the SEC East.

And before you point out we play a full conference slate and that is the difference, of course I agree and that's why I said SEC Scheduling sucks balls. But lets not pretend that the SEC East is the same as some group of 5 division. Florida looks like they're well on their way back, and Pruitt is buying enough talent to probably make Tennessee decent enough in the next couple years. Kentucky, Vandy, and Mizzou will trade off being good every 3 years etc. Even if it's in a dogshit division, we're in a shitty fucking conference, with the only saving grace is we play a whole conference schedule and don't rub our swollen pussies on our OOC slate. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

The point I'm getting at is that Georgia isn't destined to fail because they're paying through the nose for recruits. They're falling short because Kirby Smart isn't the coach and program CEO that Dabo Swinney and Nick Saban are at this point.

Correct. Smart is an idiot, case in point, the fake punt with the backup QB in the game.

• Like 1

Just now, Casual Encounter said:

Wait... he’s not really Smart? Are you implying that specific last name may actually contradict the intelligence level of the owner of that specific last name?

It appears to be the case no matter the sport or ethnicity of said owner of specific last name.

9 minutes ago, satyanash said:

That last blOU visit ruined everything. Fuck.

We need to try and get him in for an earlier visit. Is he still deciding July 4th?

giphy.gif

Yeah, still July 4th. And I'm pretty sure he's coming for the big May 4th JMBLYA weekend OV-palooza

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1