Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

Quoting futureman does a grave disservice to those of us who have him on mute.

But if no one quotes him, how will you see quality content like this?

53 minutes ago, futureman said:

it feels good to know you care.  seriously. 

56 minutes ago, futureman said:

deech, I apologize for my verbal assault and will try to be better in the future.  

22 hours ago, futureman said:

lake mcree sounds like one of doc and wyatt’s running buddies in tombstone. 

On 4/15/2019 at 11:18 AM, futureman said:

most obstacles humans face are of their own creation. 

On 4/15/2019 at 12:06 AM, futureman said:

huff, et?, hills, boyd, ?? , d’onta, ?? , jamaal, quandre, ??

On 4/14/2019 at 10:35 AM, futureman said:

what are you, catholic?

On 4/13/2019 at 1:40 AM, futureman said:

less crumbs to go around.  drives up the price of crumbs. 

On 4/12/2019 at 2:26 PM, futureman said:

so we’re all like you great-great-great-granddad?

• Haha 2

More on Mookie and his visit plans

St. Louis (Mo.) Trinity Catholic four-star athlete (running back/slot) Mookie Cooper is fresh off an Opening Regional in St. Louis where he was named 247Sports' Alpha Dog. Next for him is looking to take more visits.

"I'm going to LSU and Oklahoma, and Texas on May 4th," he said. "I want to go to Ohio State and maybe Tennessee, but I know I'm going to OU, LSU and Texas for sure. My Oklahoma visit was going to be an official visit if I went [last] weekend, but I had the ACT, so they'll all be unofficials."

From there, Cooper will begin to plan out his official visits.

"I've got four I know I'll take, but I don't know about the fifth one. know I'll take some official visits before I commit," he said. "Oklahoma, Miami (Fla.), Illinois and maybe Georgia for a game."

Illinois has received buzz after some of Cooper's teammates, most recently running back Reggie Love, committed to the Illini, but Cooper insists that does not affect him.

"I was happy for my brothers but I'm not letting that get to me," he said. "I'm doing my decision [on my own], waiting it out, not letting the hype get into me, just wait this thing out probably do it on Signing Day or something. I'm not committing early again."

Miami (Fla.) has received some Crystal Ball picks. Cooper refers to the Canes as a dream school of his growing up.

Texas, who signed teammate Marcus Washington and had Cooper's verbal commitment for a time, remains in the race as well.

"For sure," he responded when asked if they were still being considered. "I didn't know if I would take an official there, but I will go down on a visit. I've been there multiple times, so that's why I didn't know if I would take an official visit there, knowing I can just go down there again any time."

This second time around in recruiting, Cooper wants to make sure he makes the right final call and family input will be important.

"How my mom feels about it," Cooper said. "She was not too much in the recruiting process with me, so I'll see how she feels. Then, playing opportunities, the best fit for me as an all-around athlete and then the school and all that."

Keeping track of Kendall Milton: was viewed as an OU lean and maybe even a silent (although never got the silent commit emoji from Riley), then visited Ohio State two weekends ago, visited LSU this past weekend (LSU appears to feel like they're in it), is visiting Bama today and tomorrow, and then is visiting Georgia this weekend 

19 minutes ago, Machinator said:

More on Mookie and his visit plans

Hide contents

St. Louis (Mo.) Trinity Catholic four-star athlete (running back/slot) Mookie Cooper is fresh off an Opening Regional in St. Louis where he was named 247Sports' Alpha Dog. Next for him is looking to take more visits.

"I'm going to LSU and Oklahoma, and Texas on May 4th," he said. "I want to go to Ohio State and maybe Tennessee, but I know I'm going to OU, LSU and Texas for sure. My Oklahoma visit was going to be an official visit if I went [last] weekend, but I had the ACT, so they'll all be unofficials."

From there, Cooper will begin to plan out his official visits.

"I've got four I know I'll take, but I don't know about the fifth one. know I'll take some official visits before I commit," he said. "Oklahoma, Miami (Fla.), Illinois and maybe Georgia for a game."

Illinois has received buzz after some of Cooper's teammates, most recently running back Reggie Love, committed to the Illini, but Cooper insists that does not affect him.

"I was happy for my brothers but I'm not letting that get to me," he said. "I'm doing my decision [on my own], waiting it out, not letting the hype get into me, just wait this thing out probably do it on Signing Day or something. I'm not committing early again."

Miami (Fla.) has received some Crystal Ball picks. Cooper refers to the Canes as a dream school of his growing up.

Texas, who signed teammate Marcus Washington and had Cooper's verbal commitment for a time, remains in the race as well.

"For sure," he responded when asked if they were still being considered. "I didn't know if I would take an official there, but I will go down on a visit. I've been there multiple times, so that's why I didn't know if I would take an official visit there, knowing I can just go down there again any time."

This second time around in recruiting, Cooper wants to make sure he makes the right final call and family input will be important.

"How my mom feels about it," Cooper said. "She was not too much in the recruiting process with me, so I'll see how she feels. Then, playing opportunities, the best fit for me as an all-around athlete and then the school and all that."

Personally I wouldn't bring in a kid for a concert if he won't take an official later

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Bryson Washington

Suchomel had these comments on it: 

Spoiler

First: A commit would be a surprise. And it probably wouldn't be great news considering he just visited OU.Remember, Washington told me he's taking an OV to Texas May 6 so at last check, that's still in play.

Later: FYI, no need to be glued to your computer tonight. Still a ways to go in this one.

Sounds like a top schools list or all star game or something

25 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

From?

Texas

His thoughts

Spoiler

I spoke with some sources, and it sounds like he’s going to release a top schools list tonight. Texas and Oklahoma are the top two contenders at this time. When I spoke to Oklahoma sources over the weekend, they weren’t very confident. I spoke to the same sources again today and they feel much more confident at this time. Washington currently has a visit set for Texas in late June and he’s publicly claiming he wants to make an announcement on July 4th. If he moves his date, I think that bodes very well for Oklahoma. I’m switching my crystal ball to foggy until I can find out more. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Texas work to get him in for an earlier visit. I’ll update more when I know more.

Edited by HtownHorn

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Keeping track of Kendall Milton: was viewed as an OU lean and maybe even a silent (although never got the silent commit emoji from Riley), then visited Ohio State two weekends ago, visited LSU this past weekend (LSU appears to feel like they're in it), is visiting Bama today and tomorrow, and then is visiting Georgia this weekend 

He (or his handler) sure do know how to work the system.  The summer spending money is adding up with these road trips. 

6 minutes ago, EZ$ said:

He (or his handler) sure do know how to work the system.  The summer spending money is adding up with these road trips. 

Blue chip recruits get reimbursed by everyone for travel under the table 

2 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

anybody want to venture a guess at what our big board looks like at safety?

Thompson

Ransom

Washington/Alford

Though they would probably take all 4 if Alford could play the nickel, and Thompson the Joker.

Edited by HtownHorn

9 hours ago, futureman said:

oh you have him at 5?  well I guess he’s 5th then.  lulz

I do find out funny that this is the thing you take issue with considering the posts you make, the ones you choose to engage with, and that it wasn't that bad of a list. Hell, Nahlin literally posted the same list I did hours after I did.

Mike at Night: Live recruiting chat

Where do you think Texas stands with Bijan Robinson after the visit?

I don't think any schools are really separating for Robinson yet, but I think Texas put themselves in position to move away from the pack if that makes sense. This staff does a great job making out of state prospects feel at home, and they do a ton of research to make a total pitch for those recruits. They did all of those things from what I know. For a prospect like Robinson, it's about hooking him on the first visit and getting him to come back once again. IF they can get him on campus for another unofficial and a following official, I like their chances with anyone.

Killing it mike. Thanks for all you do bud- your content doesn’t represent part time! Do you think we are where we need to be with our big targets on the board? Expecting anyone soon

I think we go through these swings each year where Texas seems to lead and then lose out on prospects or lose the lead during this time. They probably have some work to do with a few guys, and they are further along with others than expected. I'm not sure anyone is going down soon, but I'd bet May brings a few commits.

Who do you think the next one to commit is?

I think some of the spring official guys are good candidates. I could see Chris Thompson as a likely candidate.

2020 position group with the lowest floor / highest ceiling?

That's a good question. Highest ceiling for me is running back. Jase McClellan, Zach Evans and Seth McGowan are all elite level backs in my eyes. In a few years we could be looking at that trio all making big time contributions in the NFL. Lowest floor is receiver. There is such a gulf between the top end talent and the rest, and the elite guys have a level of development in front of them. I'd also say cornerback has a low floor. There are some intriguing prospects there, but a lot of them are raw in terms of projection.

1. How hard are we pushing for brennon Scott and is he a take?

2. How do we stand with Troy Omeire? seems he’s leaning our way.

3. Did we resolidify our lead for broughton over the weekend?

Texas has been in consistent contact with Scott, and I think he's absolutely a take. He didn't have a great camp season, but I think his game translates. I'm interested to see him in spring football. Getting a read on Omeire has been tough for every school recruiting him. I've talked with sources all over his recruitment who can't quite tell where he's leaning. I think Texas did great with Broughton, and he made a connection with the current commits. That said, it wouldn't surprise me to see his recruitment drag out.

How excited are you for game of thrones? Best restaurant you’ve eaten at? Would you ever want to work full time at 247? What made you want to cover recruiting, and be a fan of       Texas? What are your % on Texas top targets at the time :D

I was really excited for Thrones, but I was writing Stampede and a bunch of other stories Sunday night, and I wanted to get it in before Monday to avoid spoilers. With all of that happening, I didn't get to pay super close attention, so I will likely go back and watch again. Three restaurants I love: Cane Rosso (Dallas), Pinkerton's Barbecue (Houston) and The Wooden Spoon (Gentry, Arkansas). I would love to be full time. I grew up a fan of Texas. My grandparents are from Arkansas and die-hard Razorback fans, but my dad was born in Texas and raised us as fans. I've always been a big fan of player acquisition and team building, and I started following recruiting in the Ryan Perrilloux race. I wrote through high school, and I started to do it for fun. My work became addictive, and I got an opportunity here. Come back to me for percentages in a few weeks after I make some spring trips.

How do you feel about Jahari Rogers and Texas’ ability to pull him away from OU?

I actually am quite encouraged from what I heard from Rogers and those around him. I'm probably going to see him next week in spring ball, and I'm close to changing my pick from OU. I think this is a recruitment where Texas really surged.

Do you still feel like K.Ringo winds up at Texas? Any idea on his decision timeframe?

When Ringo was on campus during the spring for his prolonged unofficial visit, I heard some overwhelming confidence from multiple sources. It's obvious he's comfortable in Austin, and Texas is recruiting him hard. I'd like to see them get that momentum back by getting him in for the summer on another unofficial. It's tempting to take the field in this recruitment, but I like what Texas has done early on.

If you had to list the guys for whom you think Texas is the definite, significant leader at this time, who would they be?

Quentin Johnston is a guy who doesn't talk a lot but I think Texas quietly leads. Other than him, I'd list the following. Chad Lindberg Prince Dorbah Kitan Crawford Chris Thompson I think they may have an edge for guys like Collins, Broughton and Ringo, but I wouldn't call it significant.

Best guesses today for where these DL end up? Broughton Collins Dorbah Umanmielen

I think all four could end up at Texas. In fact, I'd say it's a decent chance. Of the four, I'd worry most about Umanmielen. At times it's felt like Texas was close to closing it down, and other times it feels like he really likes Oklahoma. I've also heard that A&M picked up the pace in his recruitment.

Does Texas land any of the following ? Demas Flowe Ringo Wilson

I could see Flowe, Ringo and Wilson. Ranking in order of likely to unlikely would be Ringo, Wilson, Flowe, Demas.

Is there anyway we get back into it with jaylon jones or has that ship sailed

I think it's sailed. If it were up to his parents he'd be at Texas in my opinion, but they let Jaylon make his own call and supported him. He's still one of my favorite guys in the class, and his parents are some of the best I've met.

Any update on JaQuinden Jackson? Seems an odd recruiting process.

Ja'Quinden doesn't talk much if at all. I'll see him in a week or two, but he likely won't divulge much. I think he ends up at Texas, but he's pretty unpredictable.

Surprised the lead for dorbah isn’t significant

I don't know why I had him there. I do think it's significant which is why I listed him twice. Just slipped up there.

how many dbs are we taking and what’s the realistic haul?

5 is the number I'm thinking. Two safeties, two corners and a nickel or spot for Ringo depending on how spots fill up.

It really seems like Texas has lost some steam at this point in the cycle. Granted there are always fluctuations, but is there something that, in your opinion, other schools are doing better than Texas currently to that's making them gain so much ground with some of our former leans or targets? Thanks for all the hard work you do, Mike!

I think other schools are aggressive early, but this seems to happen year in and year out. Texas shows the ability to move and pivot, and they close down the stretch well.

If you had to pick one recruit that has the most potential for the NFL right now who would it be?

Hard not to say Zach Evans or Demond Demas. Justin Flowe and Kelee Ringo look like three year guys to me who will be high NFL picks.

Mike - thanks for all you and the team do. Who does Texas land at LB and RB for this recruiting class?

The prize at both positions are Justin Flowe and Zach Evans. It's still too early to make a definitive pick on either. Bijan Robinson and Jo'Quavious Marks are also big targets at running back. I think Brennon Scott is a realistic target, and I'm interested to see where things stand with Josh White. I'm looking for some other targets to emerge in the spring.

I noticed ou got a 2021 guy... we have a chance to get any 21 guys before season starts ?

I think so. There are a few guys in 2021 (Preston Stone, Brockermeyer brothers, etc.) who could possibly make a decision.

What position group do you feel the best about in this class and which do you feel like Texas needs to pick up the pace ?

I think they have a good feel for the secondary, defensive line and offensive line. Running back and linebacker are the two most important positions. They have to find answers there.

Speaking of Qbs who are the can't miss guys in the state?? 2020/2021

I love Card and Haynes King in 2020. I'm really interested in seeing Ja'Quinden Jackson's development if he chooses to stay at quarterback. In 2021 I like Preston Stone, Sawyer Robertson and I think Jalen Milroe has some great potential.

I see Mookie Cooper has been somewhat posting about Texas on social media. We still in the running?

Our guy in the midwest Allen Trieu reported that Texas would receive a visit from Cooper, and It's not surprising. Cooper was basically a silent for almost a year before making his decision and quickly backing out. If Texas gets him back on campus, I think they have a chance to win him back.

How many kids do you think Texas will sign in this class?

Depending on attrition, I think they could get close to 25. I'll say 23.

Assuming we get the 3 OL currently committed plus Lindberg Do you think we for sure take a a 5th OL or save it for the loaded 2021 OL class?

It would depend on the take. If it meant getting Damieon George and by extension Zach Evans, I think they'd do it.

I think the uncertainty and competitiveness of the Texas recruits may be due to how close A&M, Texas and OU are football wise. Do you think many of the recruits could ultimately stall things out to see how each team does in the season?

Maybe, but I also think the new early signing day sped up the recruiting calendar quite a bit.

Any idea how the staff feels about McCarthy vs Stone? No chance both guys that highly recruited sign together right?

They probably wouldn't sign together. I'm curious to see what kind of look Texas gives McCarthy this spring. I think they have a shot at him, but they are also all in on Stone.

• Like 1

I do find out funny that this is the thing you take issue with considering the posts you make, the ones you choose to engage with, and that it wasn't that bad of a list. Hell, Nahlin literally posted the same list I did hours after I did.

Do yourself a favor and put Futureman on ignore. You will be way better off.

3 hours ago, Tree Fidy said:

Do yourself a favor and put Futureman on ignore. You will be way better off.

Nah I find his shtick amusing. So long as you treat him with the level of seriousness befitting of a monkey flinging poo indiscriminately, you'll find yourself having a good time most of the time. I didn't find his response that bad lol.

IT / Nahlin Snippets

Spoiler

Q: Very concerned over Ringo sounds like some SEC recruiting is going on.

EN: Be concerned any time you hear Georgia.

/

Q: I realize Jase is technically committed to OU, but what are the other big 3 RB's timeline to commit? 

Im squarely in the camp of getting one of the top 4 guys, adding another kid like Ty and then transitioning to the Baker kid in lieu of waiting till the last minute for the 
EN: Evans sweepstakes to play out and possibly end up on the short end because of certain aspects.

Evans will be last minute, which adds to the difficulty. 

Not entirely sure on Milton but he doesn’t strike me as one to carry it all the way.

Robinson will take fall officials. Decision to be determined.

/

EN: OU is a real threat for Bryson Washington. If he were to commit right now it would likely be OU. If he holds to his timeline UT will likely swing it back.

There’s an interesting back story (nothing improper) we’ll tell at some point.

Spoiler

I see Mookie Cooper has been somewhat posting about Texas on social media. We still in the running?

Our guy in the midwest Allen Trieu reported that Texas would receive a visit from Cooper, and It's not surprising. Cooper was basically a silent for almost a year before making his decision and quickly backing out. If Texas gets him back on campus, I think they have a chance to win him back.

I must have missed something on this.  What does this mean, "before making his decision?"

1 minute ago, UTEX90 said:
  Hide contents

I must have missed something on this.  What does this mean, "before making his decision?"

Before he publicly committed.