Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Agreed. I like Rogers and Crawford better. Well, I like their track times better. 

Take Rogers and Crawford, play the long game with Ringo. DBU will be fine. 

Is Rogers definitely a corner? I was just watching some highlights of him playing QB and he looked like he would make a great slot receiver. Dude has some moves.

TFB Open Post: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/04/open-post-tuesday-april-16th/

Sunday Recruiting Notes
– Super K

***A big visitor who snuck in this weekend was 2020 LB Josh White. The reason this visit is significant is because after his recent LSU visit, I got the impression from Josh that he wasn’t planning on visiting Texas for the Spring Game and perhaps not at all.

I’m told the visit went well and it’s sounding like like Texas may actually get him back on campus again with his mother. LSU is a tough one to beat here but this is a step in the right direction.

***I am also told that Texas took another big step with 2020 DB, Jahari Rogers. The significance of this is that not only is Rogers is a dynamic and sharp player but he is an OU legacy.

I never thought it would happen given his ties to OU but I’m beginning to really believe Texas can land Rogers.

***2020 ATH (TE/DE) Jalin Conyers picked up a Texas offer. We will reach out to him.

Conyers has been hot on the recruiting trail as of late. Picked up recent offers from Oklahoma, USC and Ohio State.

Note from CJ:  I talked to Conyers last evening, he said the visit was going very well. Conyers and his parents were going out with Coach Warehime after the Spring Game. An opportunity for the two sides to spend more time together.

Weekend Visitor Update | Josh Eaton + Insider Note
– Super K

2020 CB, Josh Eaton is perhaps the best big CB in Texas in this class. He’s a sprinter, he plays very well at the LOS, impacts the game at multiple positions and has a tenacious attitude. All that while having a lot left in the tank for development.

Eaton made a return visit to Texas this past weekend for the Spring Game. I’ve said a few times that I believe LSU is one of the schools that will be tough to beat in this race, especially given Eaton’s family ties to Louisiana.

I’ve spoken to Eaton after all of his Texas visits and all the visits went well but it still felt like…there was something missing.

I think he found that missing piece on this visit, that feeling where he could see himself playing at Texas.

”This trip was different. I loved it from the very beginning. I love the atmosphere out there, everything. It (the visit) was phenomenal”.

Josh has already seen almost everything there is to see at Texas. Again, he has visited on multiple occasions. But what it seems he saw on this trip was what it feels like to be a player at Texas and have this state behind you.

”Seeing the crowd and then having people coming up to me and saying, what’s up and the vibe of it, yeah, you can see what it’s like to play there and have everyone behind you”.

This is is going to be a long race though, as Josh tells me he has no plans to make any decisions until late in the process – perhaps all the way to signing day.

That, though, could play in Texas’ favor as numbers get tight for competitor programs.

Next stop for Josh is Oklahoma next weekend for an unofficial visit.

Insider

This is going to move around a lot but I think Texas finally took the top spot. Again, I’ve felt like they were chasing LSU and of course Texas A&M is in the mix. But I got the sense that Texas finally put themselves in poll position.

They’ll just have to continue to work throughout the process on this one as it’s likely to continue to change. But that’s what you expect when you’re vying for a truly elite player.

Troy Omeire | Trending
– Super K

Last time I did a trending post on Troy Omeire, things were, in my view, trending Texas A&M.

After asking around about where things are now, after this weekend’s visit, I believe they are now trending back in Texas favor.

I continue to believe that while Troy has plenty of options, he is likely to stay at one of the two big in-state schools.

Eric Nahlin: Where UT sits with the 2020 + Broughton/Thompson

MINI OP-ED

After the dust settles from the spring and before the evaluation period where coaches take to the road en masse, I'll more thoroughly reset the landscape.

For now I'll offer some quick thoughts. The shorter version is, not much has changed since I wrote about the tension between UT-OU-A&M.

A&M fared the worst as far as spring game attendance. The reason being they didn't have players pre-scheduled for official visits. OU having so many players with solidified plans helped its attendance.

UT had a great turnout but they like to play the waiting game. The Vernon Broughton section will underline that, as well as how A&M having to reschedule hurt its recruiting weekend.

The big, big recruiting weekend will be May 3rd. Texas will start using official visits with Vernon Broughton and Chris Thompson already scheduled. Chad Lindberg is tentative for that weekend. We also expect some West Coast visitors to make it that weekend, likely on unofficial visits.

QB

Hudson Card is turning into a fine behind-the-scenes recruiter. Some prefer the megaphone of Twitter, he and his parents host people for socials at their house, the Lake Travis way.

We're still thinking Ja'Quinden Jackson ends up in the class but that recruitment might play out into the season.

RB

Your guess is as good as mine how the two-man running back class shapes up. Texas has many more irons in the fire than last year. The running backs will be a featured sell of the program come October so that's going to present a new variable.

Zach Evans will visit again this spring which is barely newsworthy. We think OU commit Jase McClellan will too. I think Jase will use some officials. Highly-rated Maryland runner MarShawn Lloyd says he's going to visit with his mother. Arizona's Bijan Robinson just visited and the staff did enough to get an official visit at a later date. Central California's Kendall Milton already took an unofficial to Texas. He's trending OU but so too is all-purpose back Chris Tyree, at least according to an OU writer or two.

Texas recently offered EJ Smith, son of Cowboys legend Emmitt Smith. I'm not sure where they sit. He doesn't appear to be a Gators lock. I need to check in here.

Ty Jordan is also an option.

OL 

Most signs point to Chad Lindberg joining his brother and friends in Austin, but there's still some indecision there and he wants to take his official visits. Georgia is probably the biggest threat. It's tough to see him going that far from home, though.

The "package deal" between Zach Evans and Damieon George has been belabored. If you want Evans you have to treat that as serious. George is a take in most years anyway. With Damieon you have to watch Alabama.

If things sour with Evans/George, the staff really likes Tosh Baker from Phoenix.

With five being seemingly the set-in-stone number it'll be interesting to see how everything plays out. Baker is too good to slow play. Fortunately, the state almost always produces a late-rising o-lineman or two.

WR

I like where Texas sits with Troy Omeire and have them as a solid favorite at this point.

With numbers being low, Texas won't get too jumpy. They'll want to see how things go with California five-star Johnny Wilson (still expecting him this spring). They also like Temple's Quentin Johnston.

Of course they'll recruit Demond Demas until the end because he's so good.

TE

Jalin Conyers is more of a receiver but given the flex nature of the tight end position and the success of Lil'Jordan Humphrey the case can be made for him here. I don't think Conyers and Johnny Wilson would be an either/or situation, but rather they'd take both if they could pull that off. Conyers will be a tough pull for UT, however. I would love to be wrong because he would offer the class the same versatility he'd add the roster.

They have Jaden Hullaby committed for the fit they intended to fill this cycle, H-back.

DL

I think Texas lands the troika of Vernon Broughton, Alfred Collins, and Princely Umanmielen but negative recruiting about fits has made the staff work overtime and landing all three isn't a slam dunk.

Joe will catch up with Collins soon.

See Broughton below.

Umanmielen had a great time at the game and afterwards and offered a lot of positive feedback to those around him.

LB

There's a lot up in the air at linebacker with the De'Gabriel Floyd situation adding something else for the staff to account for.

I wouldn't call Cy Creek's Josh White a sure thing to LSU just yet. The next month or two might write the final chapter on that recruitment. I'm expecting a big push. Texas once again has to make up ground.

Bishop Dunne's Brennon Scott likes UT, so does his dad. I think UT is the favorite if they push hard. Some have concerns he'll be limited in space and those are probably right to a degree. However, I had major concerns over Ayodele Adeoye in that regard when he wasn't coming out and I don't see Scott's limitations being to that degree.

Texas needs to get California five-star Justin Flowe to campus in the next month to be a serious contender. I still think he'll visit, maybe in early May, but they'll have a long way to go with Clemson and Alabama pushing.

It strains the eyes trying to spot competition for Prince Dorbah. I have no idea where he'd go if not Texas.

Dorbah's the reason you don't see us talk much about Arizona outside linebacker Damian Sellers much. We still expect Kelee Ringo's teammate to visit.

CB

1. Ringo
2. Jalen Kimber
3. Kitan Crawford, Jahari Rogers, Ryan Watts

They'd probably be happy taking just two in the class but that's a hard number and can't go lower. With Ringo's decision coming late the staff won't want to miss on quality options. Compounding the issues, Ringo has Georgia all over him. UT fans should be very concerned by UGA.

Speaking of Georgia, Kimber was just crystall-balled there by Wiltfong I think. I've been waiting for them to get their legs back after all of these visits but I'll catch up with them soon. UT would take him right now 100%.

Crawford will likely take an official visit in the spring and if so Justin will find out the date.

UT is in a very good spot for the under-appreciated Rogers after his weekend visit. I think OU and UT have Rogers and Watts flip-flopped on their big boards.

S

See Chris Thompson below.

Texas hosted Xavion Alford again this past weekend and that's a seesaw battle with LSU that could go either way.

Bryson Washington is a bit of a tough read for me right now. It could be more of a RRS battle than it previously was. I still lean UT for him but I have it pretty close. He's back to wanting to declare on July 4th.

Bijan Robinson's teammate Lathan Ransom will visit this spring. He just took an official to OU but it's very difficult to see him ending up there. He also likes LSU, UF, and Ohio State. I think UT can make a good push for him especially after he talks to Robinson.

One clear take away is the staff isn't yet straying from its big board at this point.

VERNON BROUGHTON

Vernon Broughton is almost unanimously considered one of the top-five needs in the 2020 UT class. His combination of size and mobility is a rarity. He's a bit raw from a technical standpoint, having taken a bit of a hiatus between playing football, but he's a coachable, hard worker. He's also a solid citizen who will never be a headache. His mom, a former college basketball coach, raised a coachable kid away from athletics.

I caught up with Vernon's mother, Yolanda Broughton, to get the latest on recruiting. They went to A&M on Friday evening but were only there for a short time due to their hectic schedule. It's a bit telling they still made the effort to get to College Station despite not arriving until halftime of the Aggie's spring game.

She confirmed that UT is the one school that is for sure in Vernon's top-five. When pressed for others she mentioned he likes A&M, OU, LSU, and maybe Arkansas.

Despite the busy schedule Vernon and his mother made it to Austin on Saturday night for the Orange and White game. They were invited to Hudson Card's house earlier in the day but weren't able to make it. They got a late start and a late finish, not walking out of Tom Herman's office until about 10:30.

She mentioned that she liked how Herman doesn't pressure Vernon and answers all of his questions "as genuinely as he can." She said Vernon's decision won't come down to football -- that's still relatively new to him him anyway. The questions the Broughton's wanted answered were regarding education, life after football and networking, mentorship, and church. She wants to feel comfortable that Vernon will have a male figure to talk to if he needs to.

She already felt comfortable with Herman's responses but Director of Player Development, Kevin Washington, calling on Sunday was a nice touch.

While Vernon is enjoying being recruited she acknowledge it's daunting, especially with him enrolling early and figuring out summer school and all the college paperwork associated with the process.

That process will heat up over the next couple of months as he looks to take official visits. He'll be in Austin on May 3rd-5th. LSU is posturing for the 17th-19th and A&M is trying for the weekend after that.

Before he makes a final decision, Vernon would also like to see coaches working in a camp setting to get an idea of how his personality fits. Those camps typically occur in early to mid-June.

No decision date is set in stone, but I get the impression they'd like to have this one wrapped up before the season.

CHRIS THOMPSON

The Duncanville safety/linebacker is another priority of the staff. He'll also take an official visit to Texas on the weekend of May 3rd. That of course is the weekend of the JMBLYA music festival that's all the rage with the youngs. That's going to be a big weekend.

The only other official visit the Thompson's have planned is to South Bend on 6/21-6/23.

Other schools likely to receive visits but as yet unscheduled are Florida, LSU, and Auburn. Thompson likes his DBUs.

We feel good here but it's interesting to see UT be the first official visit for both Broughton and Thompson.

Thompson has no set timeline for a decision.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Viper said:

they aren't trendy enough for EJ?

heh

i mean i am not at all saying it is shitty BBQ but there are just so many legitimately really good spots to pick from in Dallas that picking this one seems kind of a weird choice. it is neither trendy or hipster-y AFAIK which makes it even MORE strange. 

3 hours ago, futureman said:

oh you have him at 5?  well I guess he’s 5th then.  lulz

Considering the vast majority of your 5,000+ posts consist of trolling and regurgitating old jokes that haven’t been funny for a while, you sure do give others a lot of shit when they actually talk about recruiting or football. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Considering the vast majority of your 5,000+ posts consist of trolling and regurgitating old jokes that haven’t been funny for a while, you sure do give others a lot of shit when they actually talk about recruiting or football. 

Quoting futureman does a grave disservice to those of us who have him on mute.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I don’t know what you mean.  I’m on board with thefyingboat’s evals.  I want to subscribe to his newsletter. 

2 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

All three CBs on Texas with a very recent one from an OU mod.  Given we've seen no shhh emoji from BC this is likely a top (insert number) tweet.  Of course, TFB has a trending post on him, so you never know.

TFB says he's trending OU, but that only matters at this point if he makes a decision in the near future.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

TFB says he's trending OU, but that only matters at this point if he makes a decision in the near future.

Interesting.  Brandon Drumm, OU mod, put in a CB to Texas on 4/5.  I believe that was right on the heels of his latest visit to OU.