Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Just now, Newy25 said:

If there is a position I am not worried about finding quality players, WR comes to mind. We have an in with at least two elite WR’s already. And this is also instructive about Evans. Better to find out now where we stand and build plans so that we do not get Cain’ed again next year. 

Which 2 WRs again? Omeire and who else?

2 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

LOL, we put a beat down on the 2nd best team in the SEC on national television. We're gonna lead with that until next season starts because it was fucking awesome.

Last night was the sugar bowl trophy presentation at the game. During junior day I hope Herman takes a play out of the Sean Payton playbook and comes out wheeling around the trophy with a bunch of cash bowl gifts. 

are we really supposed to believe that herman got up to address a bunch of high school kids, and the topic of his speech was texas a&m?  i have to believe any mention of aggies/sec was longhorn-based, fact-based, and because he knew his audience.  if one kid got "offended" and most everyone else got fired up, i'll make that trade and win the pennant.

• Like 2

Herman will attract certain type of recruits at Texas, which may mean losing out on few talented in-state guys, and that's ok. You can't underestimate the value of the culture fit. Some guys are drawn to the Aggy culture, and there is no swaying them away from it unless they get paid by another program big time of course.

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Weekend is still salvageable assuming the unpleasantness with Demas didn't affect the other recruits there. The other post-visit reactions are all positive.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Jesus fuck you're hopeless.

It's still a great weekend, not one that needed to be salvaged.

As sure as the sun rises in the East, satya will be rubbing his pussy over recruits.

This whole Demas thing seems so orchestrated. Frankly, you have to give Jimbo and aggy credit for upping their game of using 995ers as pawns. It’s a dirty game best won by mercenaries with no moral compass.

There’s no doubt in my mind Sheppard will be a signing day flip, and aggy 995ers have articles queued up about how this is real recruiting and jimbo drank Herman’s milkshake... all in an effort to jumpstart the 2020 class.

We’ve seen them pull this stunt before: that other aggy that made a top 3 without aggy and then picked aggy two days later, I think it was erick young.

And the sad part is, these coaches like Jimbo are supposed to be role models to these kids. Instead, he’s using them to create perceived momentum and teaching them to burn bridges. Sweet.

• Like 1

There should be enough room for our staff to continue to recruit the best of the best even if they work with FWK. Demas maybe a guy you don't bother with anymore based on his reaction to our pitch, but there will probably be another FWK player in the future that will buck the trend and choose us. Usually these bag men get greedy, keeping most of the payout and not giving it to the player. A some point a player decides to go with his gut rather than his trainer's wallet. Also by trying to recruit these guys you can at least record the admission that the player is for sale and the trainer's process of getting paid. Maybe you can use that information and hopefully send FWK on a one way trip to Spec's.

2 minutes ago, oh_snap said:

This whole Demas thing seems so orchestrated. Frankly, you have to give Jimbo and aggy credit for upping their game of using 995ers as pawns. It’s a dirty game best won by mercenaries with no moral compass.

There’s no doubt in my mind Sheppard will be a signing day flip, and aggy 995ers have articles queued up about how this is real recruiting and jimbo drank Herman’s milkshake... all in an effort to jumpstart the 2020 class.

We’ve seen them pull this stunt before: that other aggy that made a top 3 without aggy and then picked aggy two days later, I think it was erick young.

And the sad part is, these coaches like Jimbo are supposed to be role models to these kids. Instead, he’s using them to create perceived momentum and teaching them to burn bridges. Sweet.

Exactly. The articles are written   A&M flipped a drama queen after paying off his handler. Sec sec 

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Mookie isn't the same type of receiver. We do need game-breaking outside WRs.

Yeah, our WR recruiting has been elite the last couple of year. But, at some point it'd be nice to land the top guy. Can't keep blowing it with guys Wilson and Demas's caliber in consecutive years. Demas definitely isn't over though. I'd bet he's on campus again this spring, probably at junior day once this blows over in the next couple weeks. 

Just now, Scholz said:

We can win it all without the primadonna G. Wilsons and D.Demases of the world. There’s plenty of WR talent. And especially without dirty street agents.

This. I trust in Herman. But if it were me, I wouldn't have Demas visit again. Thank God it's not me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Yeah, our WR recruiting has been elite the last couple of year. But, at some point it'd be nice to land the top guy. Can't keep blowing it with guys Wilson and Demas's caliber in consecutive years. Demas definitely isn't over though. I'd bet he's on campus again this spring, probably at junior day once this blows over in the next couple weeks. 

That’s my point. If there is a position that is forgiving for missing on the top guy in the state, it is WR. It’s easily the deepest position in the region. The delta between Wilson and Washington in the right system is not that big. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scholz said:

We can win it all without the primadonna G. Wilsons and D.Demases of the world. There’s plenty of WR talent. And especially without dirty street agents.

If Bru had spurned his hometown school and then said he didn't go to USC because they don't develop talent and tweeted that he was bringing Cali guys to Texas, we'd love him for it. 

If Ingram's A&M visit was reported to have gone poorly because of negative recruiting, we'd be happy and talking about how Jimbo is a bad recruiter. 

Truth is all this stuff goes both ways. We all know WR is really deep and we don't need the top guy to win big. But it also helps to have the best talent possible. Good news is it sounds like it went well with a lot of that other best talent. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Bodacious Bevo said:

If Bru had spurned his hometown school and then said he didn't go to USC because they don't develop talent and tweeted that he was bringing Cali guys to Texas, we'd love him for it. 

If Ingram's A&M visit was reported to have gone poorly because of negative recruiting, we'd be happy and talking about how Jimbo is a bad recruiter. 

Truth is all this stuff goes both ways. We all know WR is really deep and we don't need the top guy to win big. But it also helps to have the best talent possible. Good news is it sounds like it went well with a lot of that other best talent. 

You’re kinda leaving out the whole handler thing there, pal. This has nothing to do with recruiting strategies. Demas and Shepherd have been bought and paid for.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Well we should milk it while some still believe it because we kicked the shit out of them.

The truth is so obvious for those who choose to see it.  sec schedules 4 cupcake games every year, so it's hard to not get a bowl invitation, or at least inflate your record so it makes it seem like you're good.

29 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

LOL, we put a beat down on the 2nd best team in the SEC on national television. We're gonna lead with that until next season starts because it was fucking awesome.

It's only going to change next Fall because we'll have just beat the 3rd best team in the SEC on national television.

Rinse, lather, repeat.

Texas caught Aggy off guard with this sleeper elite junior day. For a “counter”, the Aggy “reporters” put out a story from FWK that may or may not have been true. Fuck, it probably was true or was based in truth. Texas said the SEC was weak. Aggy was weak. Whatever. Not shocked. We just stomped Georgia. And yes it was from FWK, as he’s the only person who doesn’t have a restraining order against Hamm and FWK recently made some kind of arrangements with Texags. (I remember reading an article he visited Texags and sat down with them). Of course Perroni can’t confirm, because he’s not in bed with FWK. 

So in an attempt to shift the narrative from Texas, a story was created to misdirect.

The world of modern recruiting is childish and stupid. News at 8

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, RollingPresidential said:

what is the aversion to playing the game with the handlers?

It's not something the University of By God Texas will stand for.

From a more practical perspective, I imagine the mental evaluations are lower and bust rates higher for these types of players.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RollingPresidential said:

what is the aversion to playing the game with the handlers?

Biggest aversion is playing the game with FWK’s recruits. So far they all seem like attrition types outside of maybe Demas. 

Is playing the game for a recruit that’s gone in a year worth it? 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

It's not something the University of By God Texas will stand for.

From a more practical perspective, I imagine the mental evaluation are lower and bust rates higher for these types of players.

When was the last flakey, high drama shock the world recruit that matched expectations from Texas? Martellus Bennet was the last one I could think of but surely are are others. 

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

From a more practical perspective, I imagine the mental evaluation are lower and bust rates higher for these types of players.

This is your answer right here.

Anyone who thinks we don't "play the game" with trainers has their heads in the sand. However, "playing the game" doesn't mean putting up with the most outlandish behavior from the most outlandish characters in the game. You still have to do due diligence, and the higher the drama, the less likely it is to be worth it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Texas caught Aggy off guard with this sleeper elite junior day. For a “counter”, the Aggy “reporters” put out a story from FWK that may or may not have been true. Fuck, it probably was true or was based in truth. Texas said the SEC was weak. Aggy was weak. Whatever. Not shocked. We just stomped Georgia. And yes it was from FWK, as he’s the only person who doesn’t have a restraining order against Hamm and FWK recently made some kind of arrangements with Texags. (I remember reading an article he visited Texags and sat down with them). Of course Perroni can’t confirm, because he’s not in bed with FWK. 

So in an attempt to shift the narrative from Texas, a story was created to misdirect.

The world of modern recruiting is childish and stupid. News at 8

Is FWK the new Willie Lyles?  Asking for a friend.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

It's Demas's loss.  He wont be featured or be targeted in Jimbo's offense like he would at Texas.  If he couldn't see that from this past season then he ain't coming here and Herman should have said more than he did.

A&Ms top 2 WRs had less production than LJH all by himself. If a WR didn't notice that, oh well.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, oh_snap said:

giphy.gif