Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s definitely unlikely, but we only took 3 last year with 1 having a high bust rate and with George being likely not a take otherwise, I’d basically count it as us taking 5.

I’m really high on Tosh baker and he’d be the kind of guy I’d want to use a 6th spot on, but I doubt it’ll happen. You make a good point about the 2021 class being stacked and us being in a good spot for a lot of those guys.  I’d bet the staff would save that 6th spot so they can use a spot on the 2nd Brockenmeyer.

I think five years ago, I'd agree about finding a way to compensate for taking 2/4/3 over three classes (exluding Grandy) by taking a 6th OL, but the portal has made it easier to find grad transfer spot replacements without having to flood a position in a class. I think taking ten over the next two classes is more than fine.

• Like 1

Just now, Fud said:

I think five years ago, I'd agree about finding a way to compensate for taking 2/4/3 over three classes (exluding Grandy) by taking a 6th OL, but the portal has made it easier to find grad transfer spot replacements without having to flood a position in a class. I think taking ten over the next two classes is more than fine.

I think we're going to see a higher-than-expected hit rate on the 2017+2018 OL classes, as well.

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I don't trust QB recruits from Texas private schools or from small population states (especially Washington).  Go ahead and post everyone who I'd be wrong about.  

Yeah it looks like you're pretty much spot on, regarding Washington at least (I don't care to look up all the private Texas QBs). The only one since 2010 to have a successful career anywhere has been Brett Rypien at Boise.

12 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I don;t care where he got it from.  But if you don't think Stone's moves look like JFF (hell he even wears #2), then you also probably don't think Greta Van Fleet is trying to sound like Led Zeppelin.  

I’ll back your JFF comparison. I think the style is very comparable. And Johnny played at Tivy, which doesn’t exactly face the cream of the crop in high school competition. 

Whether or not Stone’s style will transfer to college, I have no idea. He throws off his back foot a ton. He throws across his body a ton. He’s playing against mostly small/slow defenses. A few of the plays he makes in high school will probably be sacks or picks in college, unless he has a Mike Evans to throw to, which he may. But scrambling out of trouble and making plays is exactly what JFF did. And the film shows that Stone has the better arm. 

24 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

Yeah it looks like you're pretty much spot on, regarding Washington at least (I don't care to look up all the private Texas QBs). The only one since 2010 to have a successful career anywhere has been Brett Rypien at Boise.

And he’s an nfl qb’s son. 

1 hour ago, George Clooney said:

I pray I'm wrong about Eason. 

2 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Been a couple notable QBs to come out of Hawaii recently.

Where exactly do we draw the line on what is or isn't a low population state?

It's not about raw population per se.  It's very un-PC to say this but some ethnic groups are just going to produce more football players than others.  Hawaii has only 1.3 million people but 25% of them are Polynesians.  I don't know what the numbers are for Polys as a whole but a few years back I saw a stat that Samoans were 40x more likely to end up in DI (now FBS) football than the average American kid. 

1 minute ago, sushihorn said:

It's not about raw population per se.  It's very un-PC to say this but some ethnic groups are just going to produce more football players than others.  Hawaii has only 1.3 million people but 25% of them are Polynesians.  I don't know what the numbers are for Polys as a whole but a few years back I saw a stat that Samoans were 40x more likely to end up in DI (now FBS) football than the average American kid. 

They just have stronger ties.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, USMCHorn said:

The idea that The University of Texas won't get a top recruiting class unless we post Kate pics gotta be the dumbest shit we have running through these servers. 

No, you old motherfuckers like your women with asses the likes of pre-teens. I'm a grown ass man, I need a little cushion.

Just direct you to the idiocy of the 2019 thread for evidence of your lake of knowledge about the stupidity of surly.....

In response to your secondary statement:

kate-beckinsale-michael-bay.jpg

cb6c210bb868a240b8545e2ec884da8a.jpg8fb808d2fef773c014088a37e9695166.jpg

One for you mellianials

8019160c1a40d202e8fa4f304cfb1459.png

Its probably a crime because she is royalty but I don't care

image.jpg

And in case you post 80s idiots want a glimmer of what real beauty looks like

10129781598323b5106b3666f1d20859.jpg

Now go back to your cardassian knockoffs

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Just direct you to the idiocy of the 2019 thread for evidence of your lake of knowledge about the stupidity of surly.....

In response to your secondary statement:

kate-beckinsale-michael-bay.jpg

cb6c210bb868a240b8545e2ec884da8a.jpg8fb808d2fef773c014088a37e9695166.jpg

One for you mellianials

8019160c1a40d202e8fa4f304cfb1459.png

Its probably a crime because she is royalty but I don't care

image.jpg

And in case you post 80s idiots want a glimmer of what real beauty looks like

10129781598323b5106b3666f1d20859.jpg

Now go back to your cardassian knockoffs

phlegm sock, good post.

7 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, I get what you're saying, but I can't believe you got past "media apartment."...

In short: When you figure out the difference between a Department and an Apartment, THEN you still won't be able to dictate Kate pics. 

The Spanish word for "apartment" is "apartamento" ,  but for some reason the Argentines use "departamento", and I learned my Spanish in Buenos Aires, so when I saw this fuckup, I chuckled, then nodded, and moved on because for me "apartment" & "department" are just like "different" & "distinct"... (instead of "diferente" Argies use "distinto")... so I've learned to adapt in some instances.

5 hours ago, ShowmeyourTDs said:

Not to mention posting pictures of Lexi Sun, and we all know what happened there.  Kate will be tops over cats any day too.

This did NOT go well. Perhaps perving over a teenage girl already on campus is something that should be avoided in the future.

5 hours ago, ShowmeyourTDs said:

If masterbating to Kate counts as fucking her, then my chances are greater than zero.

Until you can spell it, you shouldn't be allowed to do it... to anybody.

The squiggly red line under a word that you type means that you aren't spelling it correctly. If it's a foreign language, then that's understandable, but if you have your computer/phone set to "American English", then you should trust it unless you are using a word that you found in "Urban Dictionary".*

*I don't care if I'm supposed to but the "." inside the quotation mark at the end of the sentence, 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Caddox said:

Might as well post pics of Pete Davidson and his butthole eyes. He ruined Kate. 

Actually, Pete Davidson has shown that all of the posters on Shag actually do have a chance at getting Kate one day.

Pete Davidson = Double Edged Psychological Sword

3 hours ago, Fud said:

...As far as the rest of his post goes, taking six OL seems unlikely to me. 

2 hours ago, Bevo said:

I would like to see us take the 2 Braun's.

The glory of having ESD (Early Signing Day) in mid-late December, before Christmas and NSD (traditional National Signing Day) the first Wednesday in February.

You can real in your class and then add a player or two in February.

I would like to see Texas get both Braun's as well.

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

And [Rypien] is an nfl qb’s son nephew.

FIFY

3 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Yeah because anyone could have seen the 150lb kid from North Dakota becoming an NFL star. 

Was Wentz a short string bean that blew up in College?

He's 6'5" now, so if he was even close to that coming out of high school at 150 lbs, he would have looked like a famine sufferer.

I don't know his story. Was he ~6'0" 150 lbs out of high school or something? (Even shorter?)

5 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Was Wentz a short string bean that blew up in College?

He's 6'5" now, so if he was even close to that coming out of high school at 150 lbs, he would have looked like a famine sufferer.

I don't know his story. Was he ~6'0" 150 lbs out of high school or something? (Even shorter?)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/how-carson-wentz-a-future-1st-round-nfl-draft-pick-fell-through-the-cracks/

There are lower level college players who make the NFL each year. (Remember the Kurt Warner story?) But almost none of them are Football Championship Subdivision quarterbacks drafted in the top five. That’s what would happen if the Cleveland Browns -- as mock drafted by some -- take Wentz at No. 2.

Almost none of them were 5-foot-8, 125-pound high school freshmen before experiencing a massive growth spurt to 6-foot-5, 235 pounds. Surely none of them missed 10 games as a college senior before -- dramatically -- returning to win a national championship in his final game.

33 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Pos: WDE
Ht: 6' 5"
Wt: 215
HS: Austin Westlake
YR: 2020

https://247sports.com/player/bobby-duncum-46076729/

I'm thinking PWO.

(If he comes from a "pro wrestling family", he might know had to add lean muscle mass over the course of 3 to 4 years. He could earn a scholarship in year 4 or 5.)

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I’m guessing that is Duane Duncum’s kid. Looks a lot like him anyway.  Duane was the younger Duncum who played a few games here as a linebacker.  

Yep. Bobby and Duane were both on the team with Oscar Giles, Britt Hager, etc... 

yep. 

Duncum has close family ties to the University of Texas, but his bloodlines go beyond football and into the squared circle. Both his father Duane and uncle (whom he is named after) played for the Longhorns. Grandfather Bobby Sr. played for West Texas A&M in the 60s and enjoyed a brief stint in the NFL for the then-St. Louis Cardinals before embarking on a lengthy professional wrestling career, where he was billed at 6-foot-7, 285 pounds and engaged in feuds with legends like Dusty Rhodes. Bobby Jr., billed at 6-foot-6, 296 pounds, also played football professionally briefly following his career in Austin, before becoming a professional wrestler and starring as a babyface for WCW. He enjoyed ringing success as part of the West Texas Rednecks stable before tragically passing away in 2000.

51 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Wow we have the second highest average.

Out of the top 10 yes. UGA and Stanford both have higher composite averages but fewer players.

Stanford’s will drop, and I suspect after a pretty great class last year, UGA may face some challenges in state that we had in 2019.  That combined with their loss to Texas could make that path to a top 5 class a little tougher this time around.

2 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

I suspect after a pretty great class last year, UGA may face some challenges in state that we had in 2019.  That combined with their loss to Texas could make that path to a top 5 class a little tougher this time around.

kirby has shown an ability to recruit like saban.  there will be no drop off. 

5 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Out of the top 10 yes. UGA and Stanford both have higher composite averages but fewer players.

Stanford’s will drop, and I suspect after a pretty great class last year, UGA may face some challenges in state that we had in 2019.  That combined with their loss to Texas could make that path to a top 5 class a little tougher this time around.

Yeah I don’t think Georgia is going to have any trouble hitting a top 5 class. At all.