Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

8 hours ago, Fud said:

Chad Morris has a relative teaching at Catalon’s HS, iirc, which helped him get his foot in the door before anyone else. And there was the girlfriend thing. And the Bible thumping parents (no offense to bible thumpers here). And the teammates who committed to Arkansas. 

Of course, at the end of the day, the real deciding factor might have been easier playing time. And while it’s also an easier path to playing time for Broughton at Arkansas, that dude is probably getting starter snaps almost anywhere in the country by his second season, and considering he’s an early enrollee, he’s probably playing almost anywhere his true freshman year too. 

Being the local team, TCU has entrée to the Mansfield schools and they exploit it.  Strangely, a lot of alumni of the axis of bungholery - Okie and Arkie - reside there and the coaching staffs in Mansfield are very receptive to them.  I know it came as a huge surprise to me when the Horns became the rumored favorite for Catalon's signature.  

2 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Being the local team, TCU has entrée to the Mansfield schools and they exploit it.  Strangely, a lot of alumni of the axis of bungholery - Okie and Arkie - reside there and the coaching staffs in Mansfield are very receptive to them.  I know it came as a huge surprise to me when the Horns became the rumored favorite for Catalon's signature.  

I guess you could say they feast on Mansfield recruits. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I assume Jordan can play slot? I still think Achane should be prioritized, but it’s obvious from interviews that track is his first love. 

I’d be in favor of pulling Mookie’s offer after the latest BS. 

The kid lives in Missouri it's not like he's in-state and no showing. You don't know what the exact story is with him 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

OV #4 for Lindberg

I know it is stupid on my part, but I've developed an irrational dislike for this guy. He's 320 pounds before his senior year. He got his ass whipped at the UA underclassmen event in December/January by other national top 100 peers. He seems to fucking love the recruiting process unto itself. There's a lot of red flags there from my non-scientific POV. Of course, if Texas lands him, I'll be climbing over the rest of you fucking guys on here to laud him and beat my chest as a fan of UT recruiting.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I know it is stupid on my part, but I've developed an irrational dislike for this guy. He's 320 pounds before his senior year. He got his ass whipped at the UA underclassmen event in December/January by other national top 100 peers. He seems to fucking love the recruiting process unto itself. There's a lot of red flags there from my non-scientific POV. Of course, if Texas lands him, I'll be climbing over the rest of you fucking guys on here to laud him and beat my chest as a fan of UT recruiting.

As a slight point in his defense, he was playing Tackle at the UA game. He’ll be a guard in college and likely would’ve fared better there. He’s definitely a low-ceiling, already-developed  guy.

I think he’s good enough already that he’s a decent take, but I’m not a big fan of him, Parr, and Majors with only one actual tackle in the class.

I’d prefer one less of Parr/Majors replaced with a tackle if were only taking 4 OL in 2020.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

As long as we’re all on the same page here. 

Just to centralize it, here are all the Texas targets visiting USC this week:

Bijan Robinson: yesterday to tomorrow (OV)

Ty Jordan: today until Thursday (OV)

Chad Lindberg: today until Thursday (OV)

Mookie Cooper: this weekend (OV)

Chris Thompson Jr.: this weekend (OV)

Prince Dorbah: this weekend (not sure whether it's official or not)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fellside said:

Also, I'm okay taking an interior-line heavy class this year since last year was essentially 4 tackles and no interior guys.

I kind of agree with this but we need at least one true tackle every class. This cycle it needs to be Karic or someone they find from senior film this fall.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

I kind of agree with this but we need at least one true tackle every class. This cycle it needs to be Karic or someone they find from senior film this fall.

Garth?

I don't know shit about evaluating linemen, but 6-5, 287, 5th ranked tackle in the nation by 247.  Seems like a tackle.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, fellside said:

Garth?

I don't know shit about evaluating linemen, but 6-5, 287, 5th ranked tackle in the nation by 247.  Seems like a tackle.

I think I've seen elsewhere that he's 6-4. He clearly has the athleticism to play tackle, but our staff tends to be size queenish.

I fully admit to being picky but I like seeing at least one prospect with NFL left tackle-level wingspan. In all likelihood Garth will play tackle and be good at it, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

As a slight point in his defense, he was playing Tackle at the UA game. He’ll be a guard in college and likely would’ve fared better there. He’s definitely a low-ceiling, already-developed  guy

does he play mean?  he has a chris hall smile.  I want mean motherfuckers. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Something different about Chad -- seems like too Nice of a guy.   I like Karic better... his 247 picture reminds me of Kasey Studdard... pissed off about something.

https://247sports.com/Player/Andrej-Karic-46050370/

Chad just has a cartoon look that's hard to take seriously

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Just to centralize it, here are all the Texas targets visiting USC this week:

Bijan Robinson: yesterday to tomorrow (OV)

Ty Jordan: today until Thursday (OV)

Chad Lindberg: today until Thursday (OV)

Mookie Cooper: this weekend (OV)

Chris Thompson Jr.: this weekend (OV)

Prince Dorbah: this weekend (not sure whether it's official or not)

Do we need to put out a memo so that these guys will know that SC sucks & Clay is getting fired?

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

If we wanted to treat this class like it's own line it could easily look like this and be a very good line:

Garth-Parr-Majors-??-Lindberg 

OR

Garth-Parr-Majors-Lindberg-??

Also I have no idea why y'all randomly soured on Lindberg. Dude did well at camps, has an offer from Stanford and Clemson, two of the other stingiest schools when it comes to offers with both indicating he's likely a good culture fit in different ways, and is well-respected by his fellow OL and by Hand. I'm seriously confused. Is there anything that prompted this or is it a general malaise that came over due to him not committing yet/upset because he doesn't look upset in enough pictures?

I’m not sure what intern’s assistant wrote Lindberg’s 247 eval but I want ctj to do his word by word analysis on it. 

Physical offensive lineman recruited mostly as a tackle who could provide guard flexibility as well. Possesses outstanding size that is college-ready on paper. Run-game mauler who thrives in drive-blocking situations. High motor. Intelligent on and off the field. Tenacious block-finisher who plays with a mean streak that is evident even on tape. Takes his target to the ground if opportunity is there. Does a good job for a taller lineman of playing with good leverage. Shows enough athleticism to successfully combo block to the second level, where he is a handful for opposing linebackers. Size provides high ceiling as a pass-blocker, though tape is limited in pass pro. Can improve body control in open space and when engaged. Lateral fluidity will need to get better to stand up to speed rushers in college. Powerful in close quarters, but sometimes catches instead of punches in pass pro. High-floor offensive line prospect with impressive physicality and capability to play tackle or guard at the Power 5 level. Could develop into legitimate NFL Draft prospect.”

4 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Also I have no idea why y'all randomly soured on Lindberg. Dude did well at camps, has an offer from Stanford and Clemson, two of the other stingiest schools when it comes to offers with both indicating he's likely a good culture fit in different ways, and is well-respected by his fellow OL and by Hand. I'm seriously confused. Is there anything that prompted this or is it a general malaise that came over due to him not committing yet/upset because he doesn't look upset in enough pictures?

CTJ said something cynical and it infects the group.  He's the recruiting board tastemaker.

Edited by Post Oak
  • Like 8

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It’s kind of out of type for a guard from surburan Texlandia to be going on five official visits and 37 unofficial visits before his senior year. One thing is clear, this guy is anything but a Texas lock and he is not good enough to just wait on like the Broughton’s of the world. If he does not commit by the end of the summer I think Texas should open his ship to someone else. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

It’s kind of out of type for a guard from surburan Texlandia to be going on five official visits and 37 unofficial visits before his senior year. One thing is clear, this guy is anything but a Texas lock and he is not good enough to just wait on like the Broughton’s of the world. If he does not commit by the end of the summer I think Texas should open his ship to someone else. 

So you want to pass on a guy who’s better than 2 of our current OL commits because he takes his official visits and isn’t committed in June?

Late era Mack Brown sock confirmed.

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

So you want to pass on a guy who’s better than 2 of our current OL commits because he takes his official visits and isn’t committed in June?

Late era Mack Brown sock confirmed.

I don’t think he is better than any of our current commits. He’s a 320 pound junior that performed poorly in camp. He’s the exact guy Mack would jump all over and the recruiting services would overrate because he is bigger than everyone at a younger age. Best case, he is a good guard. He is not going to play tackle here so why save his ship into the fall? 

Just now, Newy25 said:

I don’t think he is better than any of our current commits. He’s a 320 pound junior that performed poorly in camp. He’s the exact guy Mack would jump all over and the recruiting services would overrate because he is bigger than everyone at a younger age. Best case, he is a good guard. He is not going to play tackle here so why save his ship into the fall? 

The Lindberg hate us getting out of control.

He didn’t perform that poorly at camps. He got beat a few times by speed rushers, which won’t be an issue when he plays guard in college. He’s got better feet than Parr and he’s comparable to Majors’ while being bigger and stronger than Majors. 

His best case scenario is a dominating guard in both the run and pass. And it’s not like we’re non-offering/not pursuing some way better prospect because of Lindberg. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

As a slight point in his defense, he was playing Tackle at the UA game. He’ll be a guard in college and likely would’ve fared better there. He’s definitely a low-ceiling, already-developed  guy.

I think he’s good enough already that he’s a decent take, but I’m not a big fan of him, Parr, and Majors with only one actual tackle in the class.

I’d prefer one less of Parr/Majors replaced with a tackle if were only taking 4 OL in 2020.

+1 

I think he's a take.   I agree that he's a low ceiling kind of guy.  That said, at guard, you need some guys that are high floor, low ceiling.  You want depth on the OL.  This guy is that at a minimum.