Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

"Broughton and his family are still on campus. I'm trying to gather some info after they leave, so Mike at Night might be late."

Probably just wanted to tell the staff in person that he'll be committing to corch jimbo this weekend

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

Yeah but you're using that qualifier correctly. The point of my consternation is that people are using "with that being said" exactly wrong. 

So the relevant example would be: No offense, but I was really impressed with your presentation last week. Great work!

My point is when you see “no offense” an offensive remark is forthcoming.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cochamps said:

My point is when you see “no offense” an offensive remark is forthcoming.

That's the commonly understood meaning and use of that phrase.  It may be contradictory, but it's being used correctly.

Compared to:

You're a fucking idiot.  With that being said, you might be retarded.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

So any LB's visiting this weekend?  Mullings or the one from Georgia?  Just 1 linebacker would be nice.

Nah. Orlando's grand plan for an all-JUCO LB corps is coming to fruition.

(ok Mullings is probably coming, I just assumed we were getting standard mid-cycle Orlando recruiting there)

Edited by texifornia

13 hours ago, victory88 said:

He's said since the beginning that he will take all his visits and then commit.  Y'all are acting like aggy.  I don't think he's a 5 star prospect but not sure what all the bitching is about.  Majors got whipped at every camp I've seen yet no one here is bitching.  These camp settings aren't friendly to the OL.  The majority of the state has yet to commit.  It's not like he's dragging this out to signing day.  If he commits great, if not, we have the tackle prospect we seem to be going after.

First, Majors is a center prospect. Not a supposed tackle. Second, he is also nowhere near physically maxed out. And being a center prospect means we are recruiting a very specific body type and skill set. 

The discussion on Lindberg is, when do you move on from a prospect who will not commit?  Like all good questions, the answer is “it depends”. 

How unique is his skill set? 

Are any other candidates who are likely to commit comparable? 

The first to me is, he’s a guard. Not a unique skill set. The second question is where most of the debate is going to be if we only take four in this class. 

Personally, I would give him until August then recruit others like it’s a first to commit is in situation. 

• Like 1

I trust Coach Hand on the OL right now.  I think we are in for generally good times at this position going forward (both from a recruiting and development standpoint), so not going to overly concern myself when it's much more obvious I should be worrying about the big boys on the other side of the ball.  

1 minute ago, Thetexashammer said:

It's a sign you need a better diet.

As a ChemE minor, I think I could design a hydraulic hoist using pineapple juice capable of lifting a penis 3 inches. Working on patent as we speak.

A prosthesis comprising of an implanted device in the cavities of the corpora cavemosa of a patient's penile tissue capable of providing erect penile control and activation in or not in the presence of South Austin's mom.

23 minutes ago, Bevo said:

As a ChemE minor, I think I could design a hydraulic hoist using pineapple juice capable of lifting a penis 3 inches. Working on patent as we speak.

A prosthesis comprising of an implanted device in the cavities of the corpora cavemosa of a patient's penile tissue capable of providing erect penile control and activation in or not in the presence of South Austin's mom.

3 inches huh?  Do you have a Kickstarter I could contribute to?

Just now, Enchubben said:

Holy shit; Arkansas has a Fuck Chip Brown too?  At least this guy didn’t do it the day before a major commitment.

This isn't a team-specific guy. It's a random person on twitter who uses "sources" (i.e., cherry-picked player accounts) to create narratives about a head coach.

Some negative ones:

33 minutes ago, Bevo said:

As a ChemE minor, I think I could design a hydraulic hoist using pineapple juice capable of lifting a penis 3 inches. Working on patent as we speak.  A prosthesis comprising of an implanted device in the cavities of the corpora cavemosa of a patient's penile tissue capable of providing erect penile control and activation in or not in the presence of South Austin's mom.

giphy.gif

Mike at Night: Thoughts on Crawford, latest on Broughton

—I had the opportunity to see Kitan Crawford in action today at Nike’s 11-On event. Crawford played receiver and corner during the day, and he showed off some fluid ability. Crawford’s speed is well known, and he won the fastest man competition during the event by clocking a 4.4. Crawford blends that explosive ability with elite quickness and change of direction. He’s still raw when it comes to his technique, but he shows natural ability in coverage.

—I can’t say enough how good this eval was for Jason Washington and the Texas staff. In a year where the corner position was made up of hybrid players and raw athletes, Crawford has the potential to emerge as one of the best defensive back prospects in-state for this class. That early offer put the Longhorns in a strong position from the start, and that will pay dividends if Texas can close the deal.

—Where do things stand going into Crawford’s visit weekend? I think the Longhorns have had the lead here for a while, and they have the chance to make the last impression. Crawford really loved his Tennessee visit, but I don’t think he wants to leave the state. Oklahoma provided some intrigue late, but Crawford is choosing not to make an official visit to Norman before making his decision. I think the tea leaves read Texas, and a big visit weekend could push this race over the finish line.

—West Mesquite RB Ty Jordan visited Austin yesterday. He had been planning the visit and wanted to get to Texas before the dead period set in next week. Jordan has been all over in the past few months, but the Longhorns wanted to get him back before moving into the second half of the recruiting cycle. Jordan will return to Texas for an official visit in the fall, and it appears that Tennessee and USC are the main competitors right now.

—The Texas staff scored big when they got four-star defensive lineman Vernon Broughton back on campus for an unofficial visit today. Broughton visited with a coach, and he spent nearly the entire day on campus. I’m told that the visit went well, and it was kept pretty lowkey. In speaking with sources near Broughton, I was told it was a low-pressure trip and the staff just wanted to spend some time with him before the dead period set in. I think this was an important move for Texas to counter all of the visits he made since he was in Austin for his official in early May.

6 hours ago, satyanash said:

—The Texas staff scored big when they got four-star defensive lineman Vernon Broughton back on campus for an unofficial visit today. Broughton visited with a coach, and he spent nearly the entire day on campus. I’m told that the visit went well, and it was kept pretty lowkey. In speaking with sources near Broughton, I was told it was a low-pressure trip and the staff just wanted to spend some time with him before the dead period set in. I think this was an important move for Texas to counter all of the visits he made since he was in Austin for his official in early May.

Sounds like Roach couldn't find out any details about the Broughton visit.

8 hours ago, Bevo said:

Jokes on you. I already have a 3 inch long penis. 

Helton turning into a real slime ball. What is he telling these potential kids on why they should come play for a coach with a losing record? Why suddenly are these kids who has no interest before with the program suddenly streaming like moths to a backdoor porch light? 

12 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

Helton turning into a real slime ball. What is he telling these potential kids on why they should come play for a coach with a losing record? Why suddenly are these kids who has no interest before with the program suddenly streaming like moths to a backdoor porch light? 

It's USC dude. Even when the coach is a potato, "come visit LA for free" is a compelling argument.

And the sales pitch for a good school in a fun place with a losing coach should be engraved in your brain after the Strong era.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 9

15 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

What did Charlie strong tell recruits?