Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

34 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Sounds like Washington is OU's to lose.

27 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I really like Washington but it does seem he is all sooner. If he does choose ou, hope we can not only get Ransom, but Alford too

Seems like it could go either way to me

39 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I do sense he is leaning towards Oklahoma a bit but I don’t know that I would say it’s anything a good official visit couldn’t change. However, I should note that he says he plans on taking an unofficial back up to Oklahoma for their late July BBQ event. Wasn’t sure what to make of that given he is announcing a decision July 4th.

When a UT reporter says something like this, I get the sense that he is trying to appease his readership but things don't look great.

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

Seems like it could go either way to me

Edited by Bevo

14 minutes ago, Bevo said:
54 minutes ago, Bevo said:

When a UT reporter says something like this, I get the sense that he is trying to appease his readership but things don't look great.

Wasn’t that Super K, who’s an OU guy?

IT

The first day of summer means Heat Wave time. Texas begins its big official and unofficial weekend on the longest day of the year as many prospects make the trek to Austin.

Let’s take a look at who is expected: 

QB Ja’Quinden Jackson, Duncanville (Duncanville, TX): Returning to the ATX as a Longhorn for the first time, JQJ is one of the alphas in 2020 and a quiet leader on the recruiting trail. His birth in the DFW-to-ATX movement could signal more of the region’s interest in Texas. Who are we kidding, it already has.

RB Bijan Robinson, Salpointe Catholic (Tucson, AZ): All signs point to the Texas staff closing this one down if Coach Beck and Coach Drayton have anything to say about this. He liked USC, he really liked Ohio State, but Texas is a blend of the two. Expect the staff to build on the solid foundation laid in the spring. We feel confident that UT is the leader.

WR Johnny Wilson, Calabasas (Calabasas, CA): Here’s Johnny! The 6-foot-5 freak pass-catcher from the west coast is returning to Austin for the second time in three weeks. Texas saving his OV until later in the season is strategy - Oregon and UCLA are doing the same. Point him at Collin Johnson and say shadow.

DT Octavious Oxendine, North Hardin (Radcliff, KY): Ranked as a Rivals250 guy, the Kentucky resident is a big body, but in the second tier of Texas targets in 2020.

DE Alfred Collins, Cedar Creek (Bastrop, TX): With Alabama and A&M lurking, UT has a battle on its hands. Remind him that Austin also sends d-linemen to the league - Malcom Brown, Hassan Ridgeway, Poona Ford, and Charles Omenihu.

LB Kalel Mullings, Milton Academy (Milton, MA) - MAYBE: He professed lots of love for Texas when they offered, then went silent. If they get a visit they'll get a bounce. We'll work on confirming him.

LB Len’Neth Whitehead, Athens Academy (Athens, GA) – MAYBE: Big, bruising backer from the Peach State was a little under the radar when UT offered. He’s since garnered attention from the nation’s best. This’ll be a tough pull.

CB Kitan Crawford, John Tyler (Tyler, TX): He told me this week that after this UT OV, he’s done taking officials. This is lining up burnt orange quite nicely. Texas looks good here. Might not be much longer.

CB Joshua Eaton, Aldine MacArthur (Houston, TX): With Crawford and Rogers looking Texas bound, the odd man out is likely the 6-foot-2 Aldine product. Think A&M here.

CB Kelee Ringo, Saguaro (Scottsdale, AZ) MAYBE: This recruitment has driven Texas fans a little crazy. He’s a special player and would be a natural fit in Austin, but he’s got Georgia on his mind.

CB Jahari Rogers, Arlington High (Arlington, TX): Even though he’ll be scoring TDs this fall at QB, the four-star athlete will lock down the other side of the ball in college. Texas looks good here.

S Xavion Alford, Shadow Creek (Pearland, TX): The four-star defensive back from the 6A DII state runner-ups, Alford brings a high football IQ to the secondary where he’s played CB, nickel, and safety. With Texas looking dandy for Chris Thompson and Lathan Ransom, they should make him and Bryson arm-wrestle for the final spot, winner take all.

S Bryson Washington, C.E. King (Houston, TX): This has been an old fashioned TX-OU battle for the last few months. We knew the longer he waited to announce (July 4th), the better shot Texas had here. He took an impromptu UOV to Austin two weeks ago and was seen surfing on Lake Travis with future Horn QB Hudson Card. A strong weekend will only increase UT’s chances here. We'll see if they get the final bounce they need. Sources haven't been super confident here. That isn't to say they lack confidence, we're just surprised this recruitment is still interesting. OU's done a credible job of selling playing time.

ATH Jaden Hullaby, Bishop Dunne (Dallas, TX) TEXAS: The 6-foot-2, 205-pound rock can play on either side of the ball, but he’ll start at Y-back (TE/FB) for the Horns.

NOTHING TO SEE WITH ZACH EVANS

I think the visit yesterday from the five-star running back was more of a goodwill gesture from the North Shore staff than anything else.

It seems the visit caught most at Texas off guard. Our stance has been that they'd re-visit the recruitment at some point, but obviously we weren't thinking he'd visit this quick. He'll probably visit again in the fall after giving quotes that UT didn't beat LSU by enough and there will still be nothing to see with Zach Evans.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

So fucking over this shithead and his family. Staff really needs to completely cut bait with him and he should never be allowed back on campus.

meh, there's longer term implications for that. i would imagine their primary objective is to maintain strong relationships with his high school staff. i think they're taking the high road on this one knowing it will engender a better relationship moving forward with an important HS staff.

• Like 1

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

meh, there's longer term implications for that. i would imagine their primary objective is to maintain strong relationships with his high school staff. i think they're taking the high road on this one knowing it will engender a better relationship moving forward with an important HS staff.

And there are shorter term implications for bringing him on campus. He and his brother have put enough out there publicly to demonstrate that he's firmly anti-Texas, and will only Kary Vincent things up if he were brought on campus and were to be around other recruits. I'm not advocating the staff publicly bash the kid. But at this point there is no benefit to continuing to pursue him. Only negatives can come out of this. 

• Like 2

I've read interviews with the coaches at Hawaii and Miami that basically say they do a lot of extra vetting before OVs to make sure the interest is legit. They get a lot more random "oh, uh, yeah, I'm super interested, so when can I OV?" type of calls than other schools.
I'm sure SC, UCLA, and SDSU are in the same boat

And Lincoln, NE of course.

North Shore's 2020 class has guys committed to Alabama, Utah State, Kansas State, Arkansas, and Miami.  No in state commitments that I can see.  Evans has no Texas schools in his top 5, and shits on UT on his way out.

The coaches are probably realizing their lose all ability to bitch about in state coaches if they completely cut ties with every institution.  Thus, they drag Evans to Austin and make him say his apologies.

The good news is that it will be nice to have a rooting interest in this whole Duncanville-North Shore rematch that will likely happen this year.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I’m not saying it doesn’t happen, but it sure does feel like schools getting mid-week officials are simply receiving mercy fucks. It is hard to take a school that couldn’t even get a weekend very seriously in a recruitment. Any time I see that happening with Texas for a target, our hopes look grim. 

kylermurray.jpg&f=1

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fellside said:

North Shore's 2020 class has guys committed to Alabama, Utah State, Kansas State, Arkansas, and Miami.  No in state commitments that I can see.  Evans has no Texas schools in his top 5, and shits on UT on his way out.

The coaches are probably realizing their lose all ability to bitch about in state coaches if they completely cut ties with every institution.  Thus, they drag Evans to Austin and make him say his apologies.

The good news is that it will be nice to have a rooting interest in this whole Duncanville-North Shore rematch that will likely happen this year.

With Samples, you should already have a rooting interest.  All other things equal.

16 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I think Ricky brown was the last longhorn from Arlington high. Been a while. They’ve had some sooners though. 

Miles Onyegbule was from Arlington High

Edited by Nope

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

There IS something special in Bijan. He's great. You can win championships with him, and by all accounts he seems like a high character kid with a good attitude. I'm perfectly happy with cutting bait with Evans right now, at best he's jerking us along, and we've seen over the last 8 months a shift in his seeming attitude, not just towards us but in how he is treating recruiting. Pics of him with wads of cash. Trashing schools in quotes on twitter. At some point, the mental aspect and portal percentage and team culture might get him. Who knows. But chasing after the piece of ass that told us to get lost seems like a waste of fucking time. 

Remember the last time a kid chose a different school because he believed "Texas wasn't gonna win a championship?" I do. Fuck that child abusing piece of shit.

So perhaps Evans choosing a different school is a good omen.

Fong: National recruiting intel on Texas

Spoiler

After two-straight top three recruiting classes on the 247Sports network, Texas has come out the gate a little slower in the 2020 cycle.

That’s not what’s to say is already in the boat isn’t good. It is. Damn good actually.

Nobody will hit bigger at quarterback this cycle than the Longhorns with the additions of Top247 athlete Ja'Quinden Jackson and fellow Top247 recruit Hudson Card, who keeps the Lake Travis Division-I pipeline going at nine straight.

On the offensive line, four-stars Jake Majors and Logan Parr are physical, very intelligent interior players that will bolster the position room upon arrival, and there is a lot of upside with offensive tackle Jaylen Garth.

Athlete recruit Jaden Hullaby brings some versatility not on the roster, potentially a fullback/tight end type that can line up all over, one snap providing an extra blocker and on another creating a mismatch to make a play in space.

Texas is certainly in on some big-time players moving forward. In the spring it seemed like the Longhorns moved in front for five-star running back Bijan Robinson. That race has tightened following visits to Ohio State and USC. The Longhorns aim to remind the blue-chipper why he likes them so much this weekend. As it stands now I still think Jase McClellan sticks with his word to Oklahoma.

Robinson's teammate at Tucson (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic in the country’s No. 2 safety Lathan Ransomhas been to campus twice this spring including his official last weekend. LSU at one point looked in control but Texas is positioned well.

The recruitment for Top247 offensive lineman Chad Lindberg is another war that Texas has consistently been near the top but maybe LSU is giving him reasons to leave the state. Georgia and USC are in there too and the Aggies get their swing this weekend.

Top247 defensive tackle Vernon Broughton has maintained daily communication with Texas and the Longhorns looked like the clear favorite at the beginning of January but now Arkansas and Texas A&M have made this one interesting to say the least.

Top247 in-state defensive backs in Jahari Rogers and Kitan Crawford have an eye on the SEC with Rogers feeling Florida and Crawford Tennessee. Tom Herman and his staff get their chance this weekend to change the dynamic of those recruitments. I think that those are two big visits with five-star Kelee Ringo looking more and more like he’s favoring Georgia at this point.

LSU is in the picture for Top247 linebacker Prince Dorbah. They’re going to make Texas work to win that one.

I obviously still feel good about Top247 safety Chris Thompson Jr. and the Longhorns.

1 minute ago, Dummy said:

Hide contents

After two-straight top three recruiting classes on the 247Sports network, Texas has come out the gate a little slower in the 2020 cycle.

That’s not what’s to say is already in the boat isn’t good. It is. Damn good actually.

Nobody will hit bigger at quarterback this cycle than the Longhorns with the additions of Top247 athlete Ja'Quinden Jackson and fellow Top247 recruit Hudson Card, who keeps the Lake Travis Division-I pipeline going at nine straight.

On the offensive line, four-stars Jake Majors and Logan Parr are physical, very intelligent interior players that will bolster the position room upon arrival, and there is a lot of upside with offensive tackle Jaylen Garth.

Athlete recruit Jaden Hullaby brings some versatility not on the roster, potentially a fullback/tight end type that can line up all over, one snap providing an extra blocker and on another creating a mismatch to make a play in space.

Texas is certainly in on some big-time players moving forward. In the spring it seemed like the Longhorns moved in front for five-star running back Bijan Robinson. That race has tightened following visits to Ohio State and USC. The Longhorns aim to remind the blue-chipper why he likes them so much this weekend. As it stands now I still think Jase McClellan sticks with his word to Oklahoma.

Robinson's teammate at Tucson (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic in the country’s No. 2 safety Lathan Ransomhas been to campus twice this spring including his official last weekend. LSU at one point looked in control but Texas is positioned well.

The recruitment for Top247 offensive lineman Chad Lindberg is another war that Texas has consistently been near the top but maybe LSU is giving him reasons to leave the state. Georgia and USC are in there too and the Aggies get their swing this weekend.

Top247 defensive tackle Vernon Broughton has maintained daily communication with Texas and the Longhorns looked like the clear favorite at the beginning of January but now Arkansas and Texas A&M have made this one interesting to say the least.

Top247 in-state defensive backs in Jahari Rogers and Kitan Crawford have an eye on the SEC with Rogers feeling Florida and Crawford Tennessee. Tom Herman and his staff get their chance this weekend to change the dynamic of those recruitments. I think that those are two big visits with five-star Kelee Ringo looking more and more like he’s favoring Georgia at this point.

LSU is in the picture for Top247 linebacker Prince Dorbah. They’re going to make Texas work to win that one.

I obviously still feel good about Top247 safety Chris Thompson Jr. and the Longhorns.

Saying this for the second time in 24 hours: what a worthless update from Wiltfong.

• Like 5

Just now, Machinator said:

Saying this for the second time in 24 hours: what a worthless update from Wiltfong.

Yeah. Irritated reading that. So everyone likes [insert SEC team] and Texas will have to fight, but is in position to fight and hopes that fighting leads to a good outcome. 

7 minutes ago, Dummy said:

Hide contents

All I see is some stooging for the $-E-C. 

• Like 1