Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

4 hours ago, satyanash said:

The fact that Jahari Rogers was talking to Florida during his Texas OV is kind of disconcerting imo

Playing time getting easier at Florida....

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27147734/gators-cb-edwards-announces-intent-transfer 

"Florida returns top cornerbacks CJ Henderson and Marco Wilson but now has lost two players projected for the rotation in Edwards and incoming freshman Chris Steele."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

No, we're at the point where we either have to start paying the top recruits to come here or focus on the next tier.

My prediction is that Giles misunderstands this logic and delivers a bag of money to some random 3 star who takes it and turns us in and then commits to Tech or some shit and then we get busted and Herman gets fired and somehow Giles ends up as the AD. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

No, we're at the point where we either have to start paying the top recruits to come here or focus on the next tier.

Simply not the case.  There's more than one way to build a program.  Bama/UGA do it one way, other teams like Clemson do it another.  It would be ideal to land errrbody, but not doing so doesn't automatically relegate us to 2nd tier status.  Take a look at Clemson's recruiting rankings the last 10 years.

1 hour ago, Chrispy_ said:

Exactly, at least lie to me. I want to cancel, but reading other team’s forums is somewhat entertaining. 

This is the only reason I'm staying. Reading aggy after their 4 upcoming drubbings is going to be worth the $100.

21 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Everyone needs to chill the fuck out and accept it for what it is, we're gonna fill up with 4 stars and late evals and have a top 10 class every year but if you think we're gonna get 5 5 stars without playing the same game everyone else is you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. Look who our competition is for Ringo, Wilson, and Bijan fucking Georgia Ohio State and Oregon bastions of purity and rules following. With Broughton Aggy is desperate for a win and will do anything to keep him from us. Herman needs to either stop shooting for the moon every cycle or accept that an unenforced rule is not a rule at all. Its not like Texas sports have never cheated, hell just look at our tennis coach. I'm not saying we need to go full throated Georgia but they need to get off their high horse stop being greedy and spread that money to recruits its a new era and its no longer cheating.  

I think you are being a little too simplistic.  Buying players to build your program is not the be all end all.  Let's face it, Strong was a disaster and that has carryover.  1st, if we were kicking ou's ass on the regular this would not be so much of a struggle. We would win those head to head battles. 2nd, once these kids  figure out Jimbo is just a snake oil salesman (and the aggy boosters realize what they are getting for their money is the same old thing), we will win those head to head battles.   There may be some kids that want the quick money but if we were winning consistently this wouldn't even be a struggle.  We need to win our conference.  We need to stay relevant in the playoffs and recruiting will take care of itself.  I have no doubt that the negative recruiting against us is our past performance and opposing teams convincing kids that last year's 10 win season (and the Georgia win) was fluke.  Do it again and things will change.  They may change as  early as the LSU and ou games this year, but it may be to late at that point for a top 5 class.    Yes, we need more draft picks in the NFL too, but that is not something we can control, at least at this point.

Edited by UTEX90
  • Like 4

Well if you think our thread is bad Justin Wells and Eric Nahlin are straight up bashing posters on their scoop thread today, I think some of the posters touched a nerve with IT’s overconfidence in many of the recruits in this cycle. 

1 hour ago, UTEX90 said:

I think you are being a little too simplistic.  Buying players to build your program is not the be all end all.  Let's face it, Strong was a disaster and that has carryover.  1st, if we were kicking ou's ass on the regular this would not be so much of a struggle. We would win those head to head battles. 2nd, once these kids  figure out Jimbo is just a snake oil salesman (and the aggy boosters realize what they are getting for their money is the same old thing), we will win those head to head battles.   There may be some kids that want the quick money but if we were winning consistently this wouldn't even be a struggle.  We need to win our conference.  We need to stay relevant in the playoffs and recruiting will take care of itself.  I have no doubt that the negative recruiting against us is our past performance and opposing teams convincing kids that last year's 10 win season (and the Georgia win) was fluke.  Do it again and things will change.  They may change as  early as the LSU and ou games this year, but it may be to late at that point for a top 5 class.    Yes, we need more draft picks in the NFL too, but that is not something we can control, at least at this point.

Even if we win more games and get some guys drafted, it will not be sufficient to overcome the overall incompetence of Giles, Drayton, and Orlando. 

Edited by 6th Street

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

Well if you think our thread is bad Justin Wells and Eric Nahlin are straight up bashing posters on their scoop thread today, I think some of the posters touched a nerve with IT’s overconfidence in many of the recruits in this cycle. 

Those guys always seem touchy.  Not as bad as Jabba the Ketch or Anwar the SJW, but still touchy

3 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Everyone needs to chill the fuck out and accept it for what it is, we're gonna fill up with 4 stars and late evals and have a top 10 class every year but if you think we're gonna get 5 5 stars without playing the same game everyone else is you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. Look who our competition is for Ringo, Wilson, and Bijan fucking Georgia Ohio State and Oregon bastions of purity and rules following. With Broughton Aggy is desperate for a win and will do anything to keep him from us. Herman needs to either stop shooting for the moon every cycle or accept that an unenforced rule is not a rule at all. Its not like Texas sports have never cheated, hell just look at our tennis coach. I'm not saying we need to go full throated Georgia but they need to get off their high horse stop being greedy and spread that money to recruits its a new era and its no longer cheating.  

There's cheating to win and there's cheating to line your pockets.  Broughton's parents aren't paying Herman to let him in.

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Lol you weren't kidding... they've gone gone full Ketch. Or Hamm. Whichever tantrum-prone $9.95-er you prefer, I suppose.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Lol you weren't kidding... they've gone gone full Ketch. Or Hamm. Whichever tantrum-prone $9.95-er you prefer, I suppose.

Hide contents

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

MBHorns is an annoying ninny though. Nahlin does not like any reference to other sites. Major Charlie fan too.  Hablinski is also an OB fan boy.

Edited by Barry_McCokiner

4 hours ago, Stampeder said:

Simply not the case.  There's more than one way to build a program.  Bama/UGA do it one way, other teams like Clemson do it another.  It would be ideal to land errrbody, but not doing so doesn't automatically relegate us to 2nd tier status.  Take a look at Clemson's recruiting rankings the last 10 years.

Think you are serious so let me be the first to tell you that Clemson pays, they pay big. That Dabo you see on TV, the one that will baptize you in his office and you might confuse for Hugh Freeze cheats like him too.

13 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What?!  Horns247 posters are dumber than a bag of hammers. 

I haven’t posted there in some years, but when I joined Gerry Hamilton handled the recruiting and I really don’t remember the posters being so retarded back then. Then again, maybe that’s because I’m retarded. 

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Chrispy_ said:

I haven’t posted there in some years, but when I joined Gerry Hamilton handled the recruiting and I really don’t remember the posters being so retarded back then. Then again, maybe that’s because I’m retarded. 

Gerry has been with ESPN for some years now. Horns247 absolutely went to hell after he left. 

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Blake Monroe and bierce are the only good Horns247 posters. 

It is known. 

bierce has gotten edger since Shaka has been a complete failure, he put too much credibility into believing in him until about mid season last year.

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

How many outstanding silent commits? What's the speculation on the latest one? 

3 outstanding ones. Everyone believes the previous 2 are Thompson and Dorbah.

If this one really is a 2021, then I hope to hell it's Camar Wheaton. Camar Wheaton committing soon would alleviate a lot of angst at a need position.

• Like 2

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

Does Texas Gym Rat still post over there? He was great for high school/AAU hoops updates. 

Not that I recall, though there isn't much talk about basketball outside of bierce and the hoopscoach guy. Both were big time Shaka honks.

Just now, HtownHorn said:

3 outstanding ones. Everyone believes the previous 2 are Thompson and Dorbah.

If this one really is a 2021, then I hope to hell it's Camar Wheaton. Camar Wheaton committing soon would alleviate a lot of angst at a need position.

Wheaton would be nice. It would calm a lot of people down.