Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

On 8/3/2019 at 9:47 AM, Message Board User said:

Just wait a few weeks and something will happen and I'm sure this forum will be stupid again.

3 hours ago, satyanash said:

No one wants to connect the dots re: Samples leaving and the sudden turn in CTJ's recruitment (although plenty will flame anyone who does, apparently). So instead the thread has turned into a "CTJ just got paid, no real issues here folks"-type narrative.

I think the impact will be felt again next cycle with Savion Byrd.

Oh no, we’re stupid again, only took one day.

Edited by Casual Encounter
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Or here’s another way to connect the dots:

1. Sec

2. Auburn 

3. They came on late while we’ve been involved for two years. 

4.  Db coach is from ole miss.  Yes that ole miss. 

5.  We’ve had more success putting dbs in the Nfl    Lose a qb recruit to ou yea I get it    Lose a rl recruit to bama sure makes sense   

6.   His best friend And teammate are coming here. 

7. They paid cam

8  gus could lose his job  

9. We have crushed it the last few weeks yet you come up for air when we actually lose one  

but yea let’s blame it on losing samples   I know you’re a schtick and some of the turds on this site find it charming but shut the fuck up already  sec schools will pay if needed   You’re not too vapid to believe that  isn’t possible  

Number 6 is only half correct; JQJ is his teammate but they are not particularly close.  Try instead, "The academics as a whole, and the engineering department in particular, are light-years better at UT."

26 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What's the move post Thompson Jr? I'd keep trying with Ransom, and if Naivar can't flip him save the 'ship. 

I'd say allocate it toward a player (not necessarily earmarked for safety) that the staff feels is "championship level", whether if that's a player we all know about at this moment or someone who blows up senior year. And if we don't land that player or he doesn't exist, I'm all for rolling it into 2021. Seems having 25 available scholarships next year is imperative.

30 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

What's the move post Thompson Jr? I'd keep trying with Ransom, and if Naivar can't flip him save the 'ship. 

The silver lining (I guess) is that a box safety/hybrid LB shouldn't be terribly tough to find in the state.

Anyone know if the slumbering Darius Snow recruitment can be stirred?

You guys are all looking at this wrong. The truth is if was serious about an engineering degree, he made the right choice.

The engineering program at UT is hard as fuck. I did EE and was always fucking studying. Most people fail out and that’s without trying to be a d1 athlete. 

Im fairly certain LEGO camp at Auburn is the way to go if you want your degree to say engineering and play football at the same time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cashcar said:

He’s a 3 star safety. This is not a big fucking deal and we will easily recover. This program is moving in a very positive direction, and losing a guy like Thompson Jr isn’t going to alter that pathway. 

He's not a 3-star safety,  that's a blatant mischaracterization of his talent and fit for our system.

But yes, this is not a knockout blow or whatever. Safeties can be found in Texas.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Cashcar said:

3 star or 4 star, boundary safety or eventual LB, it’s not worth so many bitches on this thread stressing out about him. He may be a system fit, but his talent is far from unique. I am quite pleased with our recruiting and trust the staff developed contingency plans. 

I see very few people (other than the usual suspects) stressing about the actual loss. I see a lot of argument over the how and the why, when this appears to be one of the more easy-to-read recruitments of the cycle, at least the stretch run.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Also, I don't think it'd be out of the question to land Alford by default. Bama' has 3 Safety commits and if aggy gets that Illinois kid then that's 2 along with Jones.

Are you assuming aggy plays Jones at S? They have nothing at corner and will be forced to play him there. I’m guessing they recruited him as such.

59 minutes ago, Cashcar said:

He’s a 3 star safety. This is not a big fucking deal and we will easily recover. This program is moving in a very positive direction, and losing a guy like Thompson Jr isn’t going to alter that pathway. 

He's actually an unquantifiable tweener. He was only listed as a 3 star because he's too big and slow for a traditional safety, and too light and fast for a traditional linebacker, which plants him squarely in the category of guys who can absolute fuck shit up in Orlando's defensive scheme. Losing him to Auburn is not the end of the world, but it's not "no big deal" either, because he's exactly the kind of player we need to be getting long-term. Is he replaceable? Yes, more than likely. But it would have been better to have gotten him than not.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The unholy trinity of Perroni, Wiltfong, and Sayles are all on ?

These cbs don’t matter until about an hour before a commitment, as many have them on where they want the player to go or are following those, until the last hour when word gets out and nobody wants to be wrong. Wiltfong and national guys maybe, since they usually wait to get some solid info from a source like elko. 

54 minutes ago, Cashcar said:

3 star or 4 star, boundary safety or eventual LB, it’s not worth so many bitches on this thread stressing out about him. He may be a system fit, but his talent is far from unique. I am quite pleased with our recruiting and trust the staff developed contingency plans. 

I think he’s a fucking stud. Also would’ve helped solidify Duncanville pipeline. But, the beat goes on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

He's actually an unquantifiable tweener. He was only listed as a 3 star because he's too big and slow for a traditional safety, and too light and fast for a traditional linebacker, which plants him squarely in the category of guys who can absolute fuck shit up in Orlando's defensive scheme. Losing him to Auburn is not the end of the world, but it's not "no big deal" either, because he's exactly the kind of player we need to be getting long-term. Is he replaceable? Yes, more than likely. But it would have been better to have gotten him than not.

What position does he play in Todd Orlando's defense?

• Fuck You 1

Hope the staff stays on CTJ. Part of the reason I wasn't worried about 2019 DB recruiting is that I thought he was going to be someone Texas could count on to play multiple positions depending on situation. Not to mention the Duncanville pipeline. If he was legit torn, they've got four months to work until NSD1.

What's he going to do when Auburn loses their opener to Oregon, and Malzahn gets fired before he leaves the field?

Hopefully, flip back. There’s a long way to go. If this is more of a family wants him one way and he’s been focused on Texas another way. The more the season plays out, as things look now, likely the better the possibilities for us.

Just now, Cashcar said:

I’d assume the check is already cashed...

Someone should tell him to give Auburn the Eric Dickerson and drive the F250 bama edition to Austin, TX.  What’s Auburn gonna do about it?  Snitch on themselves?  We should put them on the schedule so we can beat the shit out of them.

Can Alford play LB?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, XOVERX said:

For example, are we sure Ringo will eat peaches?

I have no doubt that the staff isn't conceding Ringo. I doesn't look great right now, obviously, but neither did Bijan a week and a half ago. Hopefully, a booster will get Ringo an F250 stuffed with cash. /only half joking

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

What do you think Rover is in our defense?

Mac? Just kidding. I wasn't paying a lot of attention. In high school, rover was a weak safety watching the opposition's best player so that is what I initially think when I see rover. Now it is adapted to a linebacker which is tasked with stopping short runs and covering the short passing zone. However, generally, safeties don't like being called linebackers.

Edited by Bevo