Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

LVBS update from Greg Biggins: https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/LV-Bunkley-Shelton-will-cut-his-list-of-schools-down-to-six--134902940/

Gardena (Calif.) Serra wide out LV Bunkley-Shelton is close to cutting his list.

Bunkley-Shelton, one of the nation’s top receiver prospects, said he’s hoping to cut his list down to six very shortly.

The athlete is currently rated the No. 194 prospect nationally in the 247Sports Composite and had a very good off-season. He has developed in to a national recruit and has the talent to play for anyone in the country. 

Bunkley-Shelton took several unofficial visits over the off-season and we know schools like Arizona State, Texas and Washington have all made a big impact on him. USC has been up and down on his list but is trending up and has picked up their recruitment of him over the last few months.

It’s probably a safe bet those four schools will crack his list and we’ll see who the last two schools are.

As for official visits, Bunkley-Shelton said he’s trying to lock up one to Texas right now.

“I wanted to try and take one to Texas for the Oklahoma game but it’s a neutral site game,” Bunkley-Shelton said. “I don’t think you’re allowed to take official visits but I definitely plan to get to Texas at some point and loved my visit there over the summer. That's the first one I'm trying to lock in.

“I had a great visit to Washington over the summer as well and I want to visit there for a game too. USC likes me on both sides of the ball and I’m comfortable with where my recruitment is at with them right now and my relationship with the coaches. I plan to take all my official visits in the fall and then commit at the All-American Bowl in January."

Just now, Goodman said:

Sure, if he's good enough. Has 3 years for Yancy to get him ready, don't need him early at either position

giphy.gif

Additionally, that guy has to toss on 40 lbs just to get to the size to play B-backer, and that's the ONE LB position that we have zero problems finding in Texas. What we need are Rovers and Macs. You're talking 50-70 lbs to get to an ILB position.

Lets just make anthony cook a LB. He's good at tackling. There's a storied history of spinning up CBs to LBs. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Additionally, that guy has to toss on 40 lbs just to get to the size to play B-backer, and that's the ONE LB position that we have zero problems finding in Texas. What we need are Rovers and Macs. You're talking 50-70 lbs to get to an ILB position.

What are you talking about? In what world do we need Rovers and Macs playing at 250 lbs?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

giphy.gif

Lets just make anthony cook a LB. He's good at tackling. There's a storied history of spinning up CBs to LBs. 

I think you've got your LB positions mixed up 

• Like 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

giphy.gif

Has Cook gained experience at LB and grown to 6'3? Don't think Hester will be a LB here but 50lbs in 3 years, could be easy. 

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

giphy.gif

Why b-backer? Why not safety/lb hybrid or off the ball backer, if it's not WR? 

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

What are you talking about? In what world do we need Rovers and Macs playing at 250 lbs?

I said 50-70 lbs. 

But I guess it's the world we live in, because when I looked at the weights of the LBS on our roster, guess what, they're in the 235-245 range. 

McCullough - 245 lbs
Mitchell - 240 lbs
Caleb Johnson 235

True Freshman Marcus Tillman: 230
True Freshman Dave Gbenda: 220

But you're right, I guess 245 is perfectly fine but 250 is fucking EGREGIOUS. 

I said 50-70 lbs. 

But I guess it's the world we live in, because when I looked at the weights of the LBS on our roster, guess what, they're in the 235-245 range. 

McCullough - 245 lbs
Mitchell - 240 lbs
Caleb Johnson 235

What do you think Gary Johnson played at last season?

I don't think he'd have much trouble getting to a linebacker/safety hybrid weight in like one year on campus, or an off the ball backer weight in 2-3 years, but this might all be moot; has there been any word besides messageboarder speculation that we're taking him at anything but WR? 

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I said 50-70 lbs. 

McCullough - 245 lbs
Mitchell - 240 lbs
Caleb Johnson 235

Forget the exact numbers. 230 is appropriate for an ILB, 250 is probably not, but the issue is you have their roles reversed. ILBs should not be smaller than the BLBs. If we had a b-backer that was only 220 lbs there's no way they would hold up. 

If we're converting a WR it would make sense for them to fill in to the smaller LB role i.e. an ILB. 

E: Saw your second response, I do agree that recruiting Hester for that purpose is a stretch. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

I don't think he'd have much trouble getting to a linebacker/safety hybrid weight in like one year on campus, or an off the ball backer weight in 2-3 years, but this might all be moot; has there been any word besides messageboarder speculation that we're taking him at anything but WR? 

Just trying to get to 1000 pages

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

No, it was an passing joke by one poster, me making another joke in response, and then Goodman strolling in with "This seems perfectly reasonable."

• Like 1

I thought this was covered in the notion of "Players we don't currently have trouble finding and recruiting in Texas." 

You also said something about it taking 40 pounds to get to b-backer, but 50-70 to get to ILB. So I guess I'm not really sure what notions you're covering. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I said 50-70 lbs. 

McCullough - 245 lbs
Mitchell - 240 lbs
Caleb Johnson 235

It's simple physics. Everyone knows that you lose .3 to .5 seconds off of every speed and agility measurable once you cross that threshold. At least that is what happened to me.. 

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

If he picks us 90% of the crowd will start booing and doing the horns down.

If he picks us, 90% of Surly will start booing. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

giphy.gif

IMO, 3:30 on a Thursday seems a little early to be drunk off your ass, but you do you, man.

I’m sure you’ll be glad to learn that while your coherency takes a huge hit while drunk, somehow your grammar and typos get exponentially better. 

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If he picks us, 90% of Surly will start booing. 

IMO, 3:30 on a Thursday seems a little early to be drunk off your ass, but you do you, man.

I’m sure you’ll be glad to learn that while your coherency takes a huge hit while drunk, somehow your grammar and typos get exponentially better. 

It's a keyboard versus a phone situation, sir. I wish I was fucking drunk.