Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

As a side note, the notion that these coaches do not read their team message boards or otherwise listen to the press in order to "tune out the noise" is utter bullshit. I went to high school with Gene Dahlquist's step son, (OC under Mackovic). I frequently got sideline passes and we would go into the locker rooms after the game and drive home with Gene from the stadium. The first thing Gene did when he got in the car after every game was turn on the radio to the post game shows and listen to the fan reactions. He would surf the stations listening to people commenting on the gameplans, playcalling, etc. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I have to tell you, I have had a lot of bizarre shit happen along the way. Some awesome, some outlandish, some ominous. As far as Internet community stuff goes, this is one of the bonkers fucking things I've witnessed. It seems fairly likely that that goober believes it. He has to be posting during free hours from inside a mental institution. And of course no one on 247 would challenge it. They believe everything his dumb ass posts. It's easily the dumbest community with which I've ever participated.

Nice try, Greg.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I have to tell you, I have had a lot of bizarre shit happen along the way. Some awesome, some outlandish, some ominous. As far as Internet community stuff goes, this is one of the bonkers fucking things I've witnessed. It seems fairly likely that that goober believes it. He has to be posting during free hours from inside a mental institution. And of course no one on 247 would challenge it. They believe everything his dumb ass posts. It's easily the dumbest community with which I've ever participated.

I hope for the sake of his mental health that LotusHorn is a master troll. If he is making all of this up to get attention or he is living out some fantasy as a pretend insider I fear he is going to shoot up a school some day. 

But also think about Button’s role in this. He knows this guy is lying and willfully allows him to post to his users. So he either does not care because it generates clicks or worse behind it somehow. Either way, that site is a fucking cesspool and it should be avoided at all costs. 

Short recruiting notes from IT

STATE OF RECRUITING 

Here are a few names for the home opener vs Louisiana Tech. We’ll have a more comprehensive list later today. Don’t expect a large contingent this Saturday, whereas next weekend will be stacked.

QB Hudson Card, Lake Travis (TEXAS): After a busy summer including an Elite 11 appearance and a trip abroad the local four-star is primed for a strong senior campaign. Similar to last season, he'll be a fixture on campus.

DL Princely Umanmielen, Manor (TEXAS): One of the top defensive linemen in the state, the man from Manor will be a frequent guest of the Horns during home games in 2019. They're going to have to keep working on him because he's contemplating taking official visits to A&M and OU still.

DL Alfred Collins, Bastrop Cedar Creek: It’s interesting that Collins will be on campus for the season opener vs La Tech, then reportedly take an official visit to OU when they host South Dakota State next weekend. La Tech and South Dakota State instead of Houston and LSU is one way to go about it. Maybe there's still a chance he shuts things down soon. Maybe. That could be wishful thinking but that's an odd itinerary.

TE Lake McRee, Lake Travis (TEXAS) - 2021: McRee will miss his junior year due to a preseason knee injury. You can expect him to be a frequent visitor to DKR this season.

OL Jager Burton, Frederick Douglass HS (Lexington, KY) - 2021: The four-star junior from SEC country will trip to Austin. At 6-foot-3.5, 284 pounds, and a 77.5’ wingspan, Burton holds 16 offers, including Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, and Penn State. Even with a fantastic in-state OL group from 2021, Texas is still turning over every rock.

4 minutes ago, cafe society said:

"L'Etat, c'est moi."  - CTJ, possibly.

Oh, I say that all the time, mostly for the bizarre looks it evokes. Wasn't expecting to see it here. I need to go lock-up "the sun king" as a handle. Perhaps "I am Greg Davis?" as well. I don't know. There are a lot of new handle directions I need to look into going now that the LotusHorn/GregDavis game I've been running has finally been discovered. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

9 carries, 39 yards for Evans last night.

I said it a couple of months ago -- the difference between good and great players is that great players hate to lose with every fiber of their being.  Evans doesn't even act like he cares if he's playing football.  I'd bet a lot of money that he's one of those guys who only plays football because he's good at it.

A la Darrell Scott 

Man, re-reading that cause me to think several things. First, he may be a much better person than he currently seems to be, and is portrayed as by others. Second, he’s probably smarter than people are giving him credit for. He knows all the bs that schools are throwing at him. Third, I’m shocked he likes Georgia. He obviously is concerned about the lying and misrepresentations by coaches. Kirby is the worst example of that. That would also rule out Jimbo. Fourth, it seems like he doesn’t just want to be the next cog in the Bama machine. Finally, I’m actually surprised he hasn’t been much more interested in Texas. Herman can come across thin-skinned and defensive sometimes, but he has been fairly straightforward and honest with recruits. I would have thought that should have resonated with Evans. I think this guy actually has a chance to mature into an awesome person and player.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Man, re-reading that cause me to think several things. First, he may be a much better person than he currently seems to be, and is portrayed as by others. Second, he’s probably smarter than people are giving him credit for. He knows all the bs that schools are throwing at him. Third, I’m shocked he likes Georgia. He obviously is concerned about the lying and misrepresentations by coaches. Kirby is the worst example of that. That would also rule out Jimbo. Fourth, it seems like he doesn’t just want to be the next cog in the Bama machine. Finally, I’m actually surprised he hasn’t been much more interested in Texas. Herman can come across thin-skinned and defensive sometimes, but he has been fairly straightforward and honest with recruits. I would have thought that should have resonated with Evans. I think this guy actually has a chance to mature into an awesome person and player.

This is either rich sarcasm or a level of naïveté that borders on stupidity. I’m honestly not sure which. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

I don't think he's as smart as you're portraying him to be. Remember, this is the same kid who thinks Texas "barely" beat Georgia, and he also thinks they're title contenders. Never mind the fact that they've always had talent, yet haven't won a title since 1980. Kirby Smart isn't some savant. He's just another Saban disciple in a weak ass east conference. 

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

You can't read too much into what Evans says in interviews. That has been the only constant in his recruitment. 

Just now, Dbeasy said:

While many of my posts are dripping with sarcasm, this one wasn’t. I think he’s just an immature kid who is going to grow up pretty fast. And it definitely could be a naive take. Call me an optimist.

It read to me like a kid who fancies himself as deep and different, and tries to get that across in interviews 

I think he’s full of shit 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

By Goodman's calculations, he'll be a 270lb 4i in just a couple years!

Seriously, though, that bodes extremely well for him and for us. And that's before Yancey even gets his hands on the guy. 

Dorbah’s gonna be a beast. He’s got some great pass rushing film, but my favorite part is watching him two gap and take on double teams from the 4i in the state playoffs, know he’s only about 230lbs at the time. His ability to use leverage makes me confident he’ll be have no trouble setting the edge in college.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

So like every immature teenager.

So you think that interview and your impressions of him from that interview are consistent with him being on the take to UGA?

Maybe pay more attention to his actions instead of his words and you’ll have a better idea of what he’s like.