Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

4 minutes ago, TexasEx said:

Assume it's tied to Rhule pushing for early signatures and telling everyone he had no plans to leave.  But of course as your name confirms, I don't know shit. 

This is not true according to several accounts from both Baylor players and potential recruits. He was honest with them that he would take an NFL job throughout the whole process.

7 minutes ago, TexasEx said:

Assume it's tied to Rhule pushing for early signatures and telling everyone he had no plans to leave.  But of course as your name confirms, I don't know shit. 

Apparently Baylor had a tough time getting him to sign. I bet Aranda told him to sign with the caveat that he'll release him if Barron doesn't like the new staff. 

3 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

This is not true according to several accounts from both Baylor players and potential recruits. He was honest with them that he would take an NFL job throughout the whole process.

There was an article December 31st where he said he would be returning to Baylor.  Of course a week later he was announced by the Panthers.  Obviously I have no knowledge of what he was telling his recruits but it seems plausible the message would be consistent with what he was telling the media.  

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, a highly rated guy who has never done shit and is made of glass. Definitely be excited about him, guaranteed contributor. 

CarelessYawningArgentinehornedfrog-max-1

tenor.gif?itemid=12159718

This is a good satya impression.

He’s damn good when healthy and could be our best receiver next year if he can stay on the field. UM’s system and QB are absolute shit. No receiver could put up big numbers there. Hell, Peoples-Jones had below average production there and he may still be a second round pick this year. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Oh shit, that explains the hush-hushness of it all. I'd take him in a second.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jahdae-Barron-46082207/

That would be a HUGE addition to our 2020 class that was low on total signees and only took 1 CB. 

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

FUCKING LOL...Roach doesnt know shit ever.

FIFY

29 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

3* ... right in Mensa’s wheelhouse. 

Very nice work, VirmarkLongstancohorn

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is a good satya impression.

He’s damn good when healthy and could be our best receiver next year if he can stay on the field. UM’s system and QB are absolute shit. No receiver could put up big numbers there. Hell, Peoples-Jones had below average production there and he may still be a second round pick this year. 

So, to be clear, your position is you've watched most of Michigan's snaps and this guy is running free and just overthrown or he's flat out doubled? I watched a fuck ton of michigan games last year, and obviously I never noticed him for shit. I'm sure some of what you say about their system and Patterson are true, sure, but lets not pretend any of the stats below indicate "he's actually damn good." He was a really highly rated recruit in HS, sure. 

Because here are his stats over 3 years:

Year Team G Rec Yds Avg YPG Lg TD
2017 Michigan (FBS) 3 11 149 13.55 49.7 46t 1
2018 Michigan (FBS) 5 4 35 8.75 7.0 15 0
2019 Michigan (FBS) 12 25 323 12.92 26.9 36t 1

Played in 12 games, got 25 receptions, 1 TD. Averaging under 30 yards receiving a game. MIchigan may have sucked on offense, but they had plenty of dogshit opponents where they ran up scores and scored than 35 points a game, and this motherfucker had 1 TD. You say People's Jones as some example that shitty performance despite insane talent, but People's Jones was a 5 star out of HS, and he put up good combine numbers.  So what? This guy has 5 less TDs and even less yardage. I guess what I'm getting at, is when you say "This guy is damn good" then what exactly are you basing it on, other than his HS profile? Because to me this is a guy you happily take a flier on but lets not pretend he's even good enough to be a lock to start at Texas. If that's the case, are we sucking off depth transfers now?

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

So, to be clear, your position is you've watched most of Michigan's snaps and this guy is running free and just overthrown or he's flat out doubled? I watched a fuck ton of michigan games last year, and obviously I never noticed him for shit. I'm sure some of what you say about their system and Patterson are true, sure, but lets not pretend any of the states below indicate "he's actually really good." He was a really highly rated recruit in HS, sure. 

but-why.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

This I can get behind. I was mostly making fun of Michigan being boring at football.

I mean, don't forget being able to root against Shea Patterson, laugh at the Big 10, plus the sense of comfort in looking at Michigan and seeing an academic and athletic kindred spirit than can't stop shooting themselves in the pecker. No one wants to feel alone, sir. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

So, to be clear, your position is you've watched most of Michigan's snaps and this guy is running free and just overthrown or he's flat out doubled? I watched a fuck ton of michigan games last year, and obviously I never noticed him for shit. I'm sure some of what you say about their system and Patterson are true, sure, but lets not pretend any of the stats below indicate "he's actually damn good." He was a really highly rated recruit in HS, sure. 

Because here are his stats over 3 years:

Year Team G Rec Yds Avg YPG Lg TD
2017 Michigan (FBS) 3 11 149 13.55 49.7 46t 1
2018 Michigan (FBS) 5 4 35 8.75 7.0 15 0
2019 Michigan (FBS) 12 25 323 12.92 26.9 36t 1

Played in 12 games, got 25 receptions, 1 TD. Averaging under 30 yards receiving a game. MIchigan may have sucked on offense, but they had plenty of dogshit opponents where they ran up scores and scored than 35 points a game, and this motherfucker had 1 TD. You say People's Jones as some example that shitty performance despite insane talent, but People's Jones was a 5 star out of HS, and he put up good combine numbers.  So what? This guy has 5 less TDs and even less yardage. I guess what I'm getting at, is when you say "This guy is damn good" then what exactly are you basing it on, other than his HS profile? Because to me this is a guy you happily take a flier on but lets not pretend he's even good enough to be a lock to start at Texas. If that's the case, are we sucking off depth transfers now?

Watching him. He gets open a ton and he’s a great deep threat. Patterson is that bad. He has horrible vision and can’t make accurate throws when he does see a guy open. Like I said, DPJ went 34-448-6 last year and has will be a Day 2 pick. UM’s receivers were really good. Their coaching and QB were god awful. 

Also, just one more reason to lose our fucking minds about a receiver ever picking TCU over us and the fact that we lost that game last year. Un-fucking-believable. 

EUKtEmGXkAAe8MR?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by Burt Macklin

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Watching him. He gets open a ton and he’s a great deep threat. Patterson is that bad. He has horrible vision and can’t make accurate throws when he does see a guy open. Like I said, DPJ went 34-448-6 last year and has will be a Day 2 pick. UM’s receivers were really good. Their coaching and QB were god awful. 

See image below for some evidence. Also, just one more reason to lose our fucking minds about a receiver ever picking TCU over us and the fact that we lost that game last year. Un-fucking-believable. 

EUKtEmGXkAAe8MR?format=jpg&name=large

I'm from Missouri on this one until shown otherwise. That's a flier to me. Also, why does Sam Ehlinger hate Collin Johnson? 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm from Missouri on this one until shown otherwise. That's a flier to me. Also, why does Sam Ehlinger hate Collin Johnson? 

Sam would throw down the sideline to CJ a lot instead of just throwing it out of bounds, so I think a lot of those throws explains the difference between CJ and Duvernay’s percentages. That and Sam is just better on short to intermediate throws. 

7 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

So, TFB reports that Texas may have a surprise addition to their 2020 class, then the kid says he is officially out of his NLI....

Tom is pretty lucky that first time head coach, Best Friend Dave is on the other end here, and not fat gare or riley.

It's best to just release them or else it's bad PR. 

Obviously different context with transfers but when Kendall transferred to WV, Riley initially blocked the transfer. Then there was bad PR and Riley eventually gave him a full release. That's how this always goes. 

If a player wants to leave they're going to leave. No need for the bad PR. 

Edited by texasstrong12

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Obviously different context with transfers but when Kendall transferred to WV, Riley initially blocked the transfer. Then there was bad PR and Riley eventually gave him a full release. That's how this always goes. 

In the age of twitter, you gotta be a good guy. The old purple wizard tried to play games with some kid the year before the new red shirt rule. The kid went on twitter that the old guy wouldn't let him go. And he was released shortly after that. Little abject lesson in the twitterverse. 

Edited by NorLa Horns
Drunk thumbs
  • Like 1

Mike Roach: What I know on Jahdae Barron

Over the last few weeks we were told that Pflugerville Connally cornerback Jahdae Barron was investigating a release from his NLI. This was something we were asked to keep quiet on his side as obviously it's a delicate situation. It's not our policy to speculate on hypotheticals, which is exactly what this situation was until Barron received his release. Now that he's requested it, we can talk.

I just spoke with a source who said that Barron hasn't received his release as of yet, but he's expected to receive it. If that happens, I expect Texas to be involved moving forward. The staff was interested in Barron, and they likely would have pursued him had he not signed during the early period. Barron is close with Texas signee Dajon Harrison, and he fits what Texas is looking for at corner. He would also be a great addition in a one-corner class.

No no. I’m saying it’s easy to speculate tampering when people are projecting him into a class before he’s even released. Fat gare has the conference on speed dial in his car phone.
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Mike Roach: What I know on Jahdae Barron

I, too, was made aware of this delicate situation several weeks ago but was asked, for obvious reasons, to keep it quiet. Now that it is out in the open, I can confirm that Barron has requested a release from his NLI with Baylor. I expect Texas to be very involved as a possible landing spot, as Barron obviously fits a need after the Longhorns fell short on several cornerback prospects in the 2020 class. 

Thank you in advance for your $9.95...

Tarik Black has some real upside as a grad transfer. Started really strong as a true freshman before breaking his foot. Looked like the best receiver in Michigan's class against Florida in the opener. Was slow to recover and didn't make it back until mid-year the next season. Never found his groove or chemistry with Patterson. Last season Gattis came in looking for more speed, and he never really got any looks in the offense. Seems like he could be a better fit on the outside in Herman's offense.