Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

43 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Roach reads the board (I don't have a sub)

—I did some more checking into Tarik Black's eligibility today. His status as a true junior means he has two years to play one with a redshirt still to spend, but he may be eligible for a second year. Black was injured three games into his freshman season and missed the rest of the year. While the four-game redshirt rule wasn't in effect at that time, Black could be eligible for a medical waiver. He would need to apply for the waiver this year from what I know, but if granted, he could spend the next two years at Texas.

—I checked in to see if Texas might be interested in Ohio State transfer Jaelen Gill. There are a lot of ties to Gill and the Texas staff. He was first recruited to Ohio State when Derek Chang and Tom Herman were there and Gill appeared as a freshman. He played last year under Mike Yurcich, and Texas recruited him hard during his senior high school season. That said, I don't expect him to be an option. Gill is primarily a slot receiver, and Texas feels great about the depth at that position.

—I checked in again today with sources near South Oak Cliff linebacker Jaydon Williams. As his decision nears on Friday, the outlook of what he might do is becoming less clear by the day. A college source I spoke with last night indicated Arizona State made a big move this week. The Sun Devils have a long relationship with Williams, and they've been pushing him hard. A source near Williams told me today, "I don't know where his head is at right now. It's all over the place." It's clear that Williams is struggling with the decision between a school in Texas that he's liked for so long and a program in Arizona State where he's forged strong relationships. Should be a bit of a ride all the way up until Friday.

—I'm told former Baylor signee Jahdae Barron received his release today. He's been tweeting a few offers from schools interested in him. Texas has been in contact and is completing a review of his transcripts. I'm told sources in Austin feel confident about where they stand with the four-star cornerback.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
18 hours ago, RGBIII said:
What position is Tarik Black expected to play? The X? 

From IT's write up Z but could back up at X

This 247 write-up says X receiver for Tarik...

Former Coach Sees Perfect Fit for Texas, WR Tarik Black

ByBRIAN DOHN      5 hours ago

Former four-star receiver Tarik Black saw a fit at Texas and an immediate path onto the field in a potentially prolific offense, and decided Tuesday that is where he will finish his college career.  The big-bodied Michigan transfer announced his decision to attend Texas, and his former coach at Cheshire (Conn.) Academy sees it as a wonderful fit.

“I think they are going to find a lot of creative ways to get him the ball,” Cheshire Academy coach David Dykeman said. “Again, he’s a problem when you move him around, too. Line him up on the inside and say, ‘Ok, guard him with a linebacker.’ See how that goes.

“Last time I saw him, he was nearly 6-foot-5, and look how thick he is. You are telling me a 5-foot-10 corner is going to press him? He just needs a year of health.”  Black's first two seasons at Michigan ended in injury.

Syracuse was also heavily involved in his recruitment, but the initial connection between Longhorns defensive coordinator Chris Ash, who signed an offensive lineman from Cheshire Academy while at Rutgers, and Cheshire started the recruitment and the Longhorns offensive staff closed it.  

And Dykeman knows the type of offense Texas offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich likes to run, and sees Black excelling in it.  “I know Yurcich, every place he has been, they score points,” Dykeman said. “This is what guys said to me four years ago -- (Black) is a prototypical ‘X’ receiver. He can line up on the line. He is bigger, stronger, faster than he was (in high school). He’s a matchup nightmare on the outside."  

“He is so smooth of a route runner. In and out of breaks, he never lost speed. He would go up and get it. He made some acrobatic catches when he was here.”

Black was the No. 15 receiver and No. 116 prospect in the industry-generated 247Sports Composite in the 2017 class. Injuries limited him to nine games in his first two seasons at Michigan before playing in 12 games last season, when caught 25 passes for 323 yards and a touchdown. In his career, he had 40 catches for 507 yards and two scores, but Dykeman believes there is so much more Black can do at Texas.   “He couldn’t sustain his health, which was kind of the issue,” Dykeman said. “I think he just needed a fresh start, and he needs to be healthy and he’ll be great.  “You look, and three games in, I think he was third in the Big Ten in catches his freshman year. He catches the touchdown against Florida and then everything you read coming out of that following spring, it was, ‘Wow, we’re excited for Tarik.’ There was always this hype but two broken bones back-to-back (hurt him).”

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Michigan-Wolverines-football-recruiting-Tarik-Black-transfer-146615724/

Edited by LTtxfan

39 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Forgetting Evans who could easily end up at 2 of the schools pictured and currently behind us.

i can't wait to see where the guy ends up - can you imagine him going on a trip to all of the usual suspects over the next few months if the Rona hadn't stopped it?

1 minute ago, NoName said:

i can't wait to see where the guy ends up - can you imagine him going on a trip to all of the usual suspects over the next few months if the Rona hadn't stopped it?

I think he's going to road trip up to Tennessee, pick up a bag and say he's enrolling, then drive down to Florida and enroll for real. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I think he's going to road trip up to Tennessee, pick up a bag and say he's enrolling, then drive down to Florida and enroll for real. 

i think it says everything that needs to be known that A&M didn't hold a spot for him (as far as we know) 

18 minutes ago, NoName said:

i think it says everything that needs to be known that A&M didn't hold a spot for him (as far as we know) 

I don't. How could they? They literally had Blumrick at RB taking snaps, and Evans is about the biggest flake that has ever flaked. They're going to go into Spring and Fall practice with man-bun at RB for practice? I'm sure they cried as they didn't hold that spot but how could they?

Regarding Princely, dudes who are flaky as fuck have a high bust rate.. for their first team. Then they move on to new scenario, and might actually pan out. I'd be concerned that we'd still be his first team that he quits on if he never actually makes it to Florida. 

But I do think he's a talented DL. So I'm good with passing or taking him. Whatevs. 

10 minutes ago, Fud said:

Regarding Princely, dudes who are flaky as fuck have a high bust rate.. for their first team. Then they move on to new scenario, and might actually pan out. I'd be concerned that we'd still be his first team that he quits on if he never actually makes it to Florida. 

But I do think he's a talented DL. So I'm good with passing or taking him. Whatevs. 

Then i'm counting florida as his first team.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

I would think ou would be all over Princely if he truly is trying to get out of his NLI.. regardless, Texas is in a good spot along the DL.

His final four were Auburn, Baylor, Florida, and Texas. If he doesn't start from scratch, the most likely destinations are Baylor and Texas.

Texas has had a couple of prospects they whiffed on in the past reach out to them about transferring back, who Texas then turned down. Sure, this is a little different since Princely isn't on campus yet, but they've turned down a couple in the past (and have let a couple back into the class in Bru and Barron). 

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

Texas has had a couple of prospects they whiffed on in the past reach out to them about transferring back, who Texas then turned down. Sure, this is a little different since Princely isn't on campus yet, but they've turned down a couple in the past (and have let a couple back into the class in Bru and Barron). 

Care to elaborate on whom?