Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 4: Tripping Balls (Spoilers)

atomheartbevo

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Recast with Michael B Jordan and say nothing

Do it, Marvel.  I dare you. 

Half the people in this thread are complaining that back to the future 2 level of complexity time travel / multiverse is too confusing already. The bitching would never end. 

59 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It’s a shame he’s a crappy human and an abuser; he was awesome in Loki S2 and he thought he was the bright spot of S1 finale.

Didnt care for him in Ant man though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, mdmost said:

I mean he faces up to a year in prison. What exactly do you think we're missing? That he was not guilty on the other charges? Sure he could get no jail time at all but the damage is done. 

The headlines are not bothering with details.

5 hours ago, BeardIP said:

It’s a shame he’s a crappy human and an abuser; he was awesome in Loki S2 and he thought he was the bright spot of S1 finale.

Didnt care for him in Ant man though. 

Yeah?

17 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Half the people in this thread are complaining that back to the future 2 level of complexity time travel / multiverse is too confusing already. The bitching would never end. 

Yep.  Majors sacrificed himself to give Marvel an easy way out of the multiverse quagmire they created.  Doom poofs Kang and the multiverse out of existence. Problem solved.  Now do a soft reboot of the Marvel universe.

Post End Game MCU has generally been bad, but DC has just never figured it out. It’s weird. I watched Blue Beetle on a plane yesterday and it would be better than only a handful of MCU movies (eternals, antman3) and was a pretty weak movie. So, I guess what I’m saying is, it could have been worse for MCU? At least we got the Endgame era MCU? Smile because it happened, don’t cry because it’s over.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Post End Game MCU has generally been bad, but DC has just never figured it out. It’s weird. I watched Blue Beetle on a plane yesterday and it would be better than only a handful of MCU movies (eternals, antman3) and was a pretty weak movie. So, I guess what I’m saying is, it could have been worse for MCU? At least we got the Endgame era MCU? Smile because it happened, don’t cry because it’s over.

What's really weird is that unlike Marvel, DC always had their A-Team (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Justice League in general) and all of their major villains, whereas Feige from the start and for many years after, had to work without Spider-Man, X-Men, and the Fantastic Four, and the villains tied to Spidey/X-Men/F4.

Maybe that forced Feige and Co. to put a lot more work into introducing and developing the original MCU characters so that non-comic book fans would get invested in them, and so the product was better.  DC had decades of Batman and Super-Man movies and the 1960s Batman and 1970s Wonder Woman TV series so everybody knew them and their villains already.

• Hook 'Em 2

Well the MCU fatigue will get a nice break in 2024 from the endless content and movies: 

• What If Season 2 - Friday (released daily until December 30)
  • Echo - January 10
  • Deadpool - July 26
  • Agatha: Darkhold Dairies - fall 2024
  • Eyes of Wakanda - TBD
  • X-Men 97 - TBD
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man - TBD

• 1 month later...

Marvel released the official MCU Timeline book a few months ago and spoilers, the creation of the infinity Stones was the first canon MCU event in history  

Also, rumors of a new Iron Fist project with a female lead and Danny Rand being just Danny Rand.

Dumb fucking rumors, because Iron Fist season 2 literally ended with Colleen Wing becoming the new Iron Fist while Danny Rand went back to being.…Danny Rand (he lost the Iron Fist power earlier in the season).  Spoiler: He lost the power because the actor wasn’t charismatic.

If it’s not a continuation of the IF series, well the first Iron Fist was a woman so maybe they could be delving into the IF origins and explaining the stuff about the corpse of a previous Iron Fist that was in season 2. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2024 at 6:56 PM, Scary Stranger said:

Saw The Marvels yesterday. Horrible. Hands down the worst villain of any of the Marvel movies. The whole singing planet bit was painful. Some decent banter and the Flerkins. Otherwise, it was poo.

I had no interest in watching it but on the Deadpool thread someone mentioned Beast and Binary being in the credit scenes. So I watched it. 

What the fuck happened to Marvel? This was yet another absolute shit offering. Story wasn't even compelling. Not even remotely badass villain gets killed by falling stone building shit. And then someone reminds Cpt Marvel that she's powerful enough to kick start a star. Who the fuck writes and greenlights these shit scripts?

If Deadpool is stupid, I am not watching another Marvel product again. The whole universe probably should've ended with Endgame.

Actually, post Endgame reminds me of GOT after season 5. It was absolute shit when the writers ran out of source material.

In the same vein, it's like the good writers left Marvel after Endgame, and they hired fanfiction writers from the internet.

Edited by crash_davis

I had no interest in watching it but on the Deadpool thread someone mentioned Beast and Binary being in the credit scenes. So I watched it. 
What the fuck happened to Marvel? This was yet another absolute shit offering. Story wasn't even compelling. Not even remotely badass villain gets killed by falling stone building shit. And then someone reminds Cpt Marvel that she's powerful enough to kick start a star. Who the fuck writes and greenlights these shit scripts?
If Deadpool is stupid, I am not watching another Marvel product again. The whole universe probably should've ended with Endgame.
Actually, post Endgame reminds me of GOT after season 5. It was absolute shit when the writers ran out of source material.
In the same vein, it's like the good writers left Marvel after Endgame, and they hired fanfiction writers from the internet.

Some of the fan fiction stuff is better than what they actually released.

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Well, it was ordered after She Hulk initially where they had the less-dark Daredevil. My hope is this is them scrapping that to send it back the direction of the original series. 

Spoiler

Punisher being covered in blood is a good sign.  Also, I hadn't seen that Bullseye would be back.  That could be good news on the violence front too.

Edited by Scary Stranger
  • Hook 'Em 2

Part of what is screwing Marvel IMO is:

A) “The Guardians of the Galaxy” effect. They caught excellent casting lighting in a bottle with the cast of GoTG and the efforts since to take “C” level MCU characters in terms of name recognition and wrap a movie around them isn’t working

B) “The Deadpool” effect. Ryan Reynolds killed it in an R rated role seemingly made for him. Challenge is Marvel hasn’t really embraced going dark/ultra violent in a compelling manner outside of Deadpool. 

The false narrative to me is MCU has gone “woke” or some shit. All they care about is $. They aren’t looking to fuck up the golden MCU goose over politics. Ultimately MCU got too cute thinking they could just throw movies out there with rando characters and people would come out in droves. Add in fact now that the movies are so bad the actors in them are making fun of them (Madam Web eg) and Marvel needs to hit pause and figure some shit out. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Don't conflate Sony Marvel movies with the MCU. The only MCU Sony tie-in is Tom Holland's Spiderman. Madame Web, Kraven, Morbius are all Sony exclusive properties. Venom is an exception to the rule as far as Sony films not sucking.

I'd argue GOTG was a hit because of the writing and dialogue combined with having a great cast. It was a completely different tone than the previous Marvel movies. I don't think Marvel has a writer like Gunn in their bullpen now. I think anything post-Endgame was going to be difficult to perform well unless it was a continuing character like the Guardians and Black Panther. You can only go to that well so many times and it won't always work out like the last Thor and Antman movies. GOTG was a good ending for the franchise as only Gunn could write it.

But Endgame was the perfect culmination of 10 years of movie making. The drop off after it was always going to happen. Kang is just not compelling compared to Thanos. Also, Thanos was being built towards as the looming threat. Kang just doesn't meet that since you kill one and there's more that will pop up. That gets tiring. 

The MCU's best hope is Deadpool resetting everything and the Fantastic Four being a success. That's definitely not a given. Thunderbolts could be decent but this has been done to death already with Suicide Squad. Falcon Cap isn't going to move the needle as Anthony Mackie just isn't leading man material. Then you have to hope an X-Men reboot pays off. Maybe Deadpool helps with that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I don’t they are eager to reboot X-Men at the moment.  

I expect they will spend every dollar possible making sure the F4 story works before going into preproduction-this is Disney’s best chance for a reset.  Kang would have been ideal as a villain if Majors wasn’t fired.  

11 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Thunderbolts could be decent but this has been done to death already with Suicide Squad. Falcon Cap isn't going to move the needle as Anthony Mackie just isn't leading man material.

Totally agree with all of this.  I have to think they aren’t stupid and Feige and co know it, too, and have adjusted budgets so they aren’t spending $200m before advertising.  

2 hours ago, LCHorn said:

I'm on episode three of Echo and don't really understand what's going because on because I kept falling asleep during the first two episodes.  Does it get better?

I lasted until Kingpin showed up and he was all like...

793da4cf2b556ef29026caff0ba72516.gif.bd162767de5de29747d282cba6ee95d8.gif

And I was out.

• Like 1

I kind of don’t understand why they are fucking around with a side character when you could easily make a show that’s just about D’Onofrio’s Kingpin clawing back his criminal empire.  That was the best part of Daredevil, anyway.  Plus it‘d be cheap.  

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

Add in fact now that the movies are so bad the actors in them are making fun of them (Madam Web eg) and Marvel needs to hit pause and figure some shit out. 

Not an MCU movie.  It's Sony's turdpile.

24 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I kind of don’t understand why they are fucking around with a side character when you could easily make a show that’s just about D’Onofrio’s Kingpin clawing back his criminal empire.  That was the best part of Daredevil, anyway.  Plus it‘d be cheap.  

I think it truly was trying out a different kind of character (female, deaf, Native American) since she was supposedly popular in the comics. There wasn't anything about her in the Hawkeye show that made me interested in tuning in. And I'm Marvel's target audience. I also have no idea why they think an Ironheart show would be something that would do well. If she's a part of the Young Avengers, I guess. But not a standalone series. I feel like this is one that won't be happening. 

• Hook 'Em 1