Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 4: Tripping Balls (Spoilers)

atomheartbevo

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

Not that shocking given there's about to be very little content coming out. I just hope Daredevil makes it through this. 

Daredevil was about 3 months into 8 months of a filming schedule when the strike happened, and picketers were deliberately targeting the Daredevil sets (filming in New York), even though at the time the DD crew was complying and writers weren't on the set or anything. Everything ended up going on hiatus, but I wouldn't worry too much, Born Again is kind of a flagship Marvel TV streaming title that has a lot of eyeballs on it. Disney has deep pockets and will weather the storm.

Also, a few companies have worked out deals with the striking organizations, and some filming is starting to happen again, but it depends on how much was already written and scripts finished. More for one of the business threads, but some of the striking orgs are getting close to the finding out phase, and while they are mostly justified, there is a point where some stuff will be completely shutdown and everybody laid off. We saw it with previous strikes.

On a site note, Strange New Worlds was a day away from starting filming, when the strike hit.

• 4 weeks later...

I read comics when I was a kid and liked the X-Men most of all the titles--that said, I don't really see the appeal today. 

Thematically, aren't they a minority group, essentially fighting for representation and civil rights?  In the 60's they might be a proxy for racial rights, gender, LGBTQ, etc., but integral to the appeal is they are all outcasts.  Today's young ticket buyers are hyper focused on inclusivity compared to past generations, I don't know how to come up with a group that's both sympathetic and somehow unable to be part of the larger culture and I don't think it's an accident that Matthew Vaughn's take on it was to set it in the past--it's just much easier to sell that version of the story. 

Anyway, I'm sure that's a problem that's going to need to be wrestled with by the various writers that want to pitch to Feige. 

Uh, if you think civil rights issues are just fine now…I mean it was just a 2-3 years ago people were rioting everywhere because cops were killing black people. And even without accounting for the big picture stuff, most every preteen and teen goes through the rebellious / am I the outcast phase, which is exactly who the comics are geared to

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Scary Stranger said:

I don’t understand. Did they think She Hulk was good and they want it to be like that? Or are they saying they will bring back the original team from the Netflix series?

I’m lost too. I thought we all agreed she-hulk was the worst and the jumping the shark moment. The darkest before the dawn of Ashoka and Loki 2, etc.

1 hour ago, Scary Stranger said:

I don’t understand. Did they think She Hulk was good and they want it to be like that? Or are they saying they will bring back the original team from the Netflix series?

I think it was about continuity in the staff from start to finish? It was better than Secret Invasion, which was just awful and inconsistent 

Did you peeps even read the referenced hollywood reporter article?

As it moves forward, Marvel is making concrete changes in how it makes TV. It now has plans to hire showrunners. Gao’s postproduction work on She-Hulk helped Marvel see that it would be helpful for its shows to have a creative throughline from start to finish.

On 9/1/2023 at 4:38 PM, mdmost said:

Not that shocking given there's about to be very little content coming out. I just hope Daredevil makes it through this. 

Wonderman? Christ almighty....also not sure if any of those titles move the needle. I get for some reason you guys love daredevil, and Agatha was dope in Wanda. I love Xmen shit, but animated? Meh

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, ajax said:

Rumors are that the Marvels after-credit scene will feature a well-known character played by a well-known actor.

Word of mouth on this movie is pretty bad btw.

Hide contents

Rumor is it'll be Beast played by Kelsey Grammar.

The only people who would've seen it yet would be comic book nerds and they are all incels

On 10/27/2023 at 12:40 PM, ajax said:

Rumors are that the Marvels after-credit scene will feature a well-known character played by a well-known actor.

Word of mouth on this movie is pretty bad btw.

Reveal hidden contents

Rumor is it'll be Beast played by Kelsey Grammar.

Oh, I think it’s going to open very poorly relative to other Marvel releases.  There are probably five different reasons for this having nothing to do with the quality of the film, so if it’s only decent then it’ll lack any second or third week help.  

13 hours ago, freyguy said:

in the Infinity War comic, Doom zaps Kang in the back, while both are plotting to rob Adam Magus of the Gauntlet.

Digging around, in the comics, Doom was the prime enemy of Wakanda's Midnight Angels (introduced in the last Black Panther movie), so they've laid the groundwork.  And the Angels teamed up with Deadpool to fight him.

11 minutes ago, mdmost said:

So this looks...very dark. Also interesting they are loading all the episodes for the series on 1/10

That means it's not good.  But would rather binge all at once than go week to week for a not good show? 

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

So this looks...very dark. Also interesting they are loading all the episodes for the series on 1/10

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

That means it's not good.  But would rather binge all at once than go week to week for a not good show? 

Or because it's TV-MA, and only adults, binge is better, ala Netflix?  Somebody's crunched the numbers on the potential audience.

And yeah, that looks extremely dark and violent, especially for a Hawkeye spin-off.

Edited by atomheartbevo

31 minutes ago, bernorange said:

D'nofrio (sp?) really kills it as Kingpin.  In the comics, the character is ridiculous.  In the Marvel cable shows, he's a more or less believable psychopath.  It's a rare instance of cinema translating a character from a print media that improves on the source IMO.

Toss in Jon Bernthal as The Punisher as well - maybe not quite on D'Onofrio's level, but there were moments where you're like "this is straight out of the comic, except better.

• Hook 'Em 1