2019 Texas Longhorns fall practice thread

Machinator

5 hours ago, Eggo said:

Because LJ is a 4.8 and Duv is (self-proclaimed) a 4.3. He was put on the outside to burn DBs who left him 1 on 1. 

More than just self-proclaimed.  He ran a 10.27 FAT 100 meter to finish second in the nation as a senior. He also ran a FAT 4.38 40.   That is comparable to Jamaal and Goodwin’s High school times.  He’s fast as shit.  Bet he breaks out this year.  

Duvernay’s shuttle time, 4.24, is not elite like his speed. But it’s damn fast.  

3 hours ago, sith_horn said:

Herman felt the need to upgrade and I'm glad he did. A seasoned veteran with P5 experience should be the OL coach at Texas. But I think Warehime's contributions merit consideration given the circumstances. I for one, am glad we have Cosmi, Kerstetter and Angilau. We were really fortunate with few injuries last season, knock on wood. And maybe Hand's techniques factor in on that, who knows? If Cosmi goes down, it begs the question who steps in and is there some shuffling? I've seen Reese Moore listed as 2nd LT on one depth chart floating around, but since he hasn't been listed as one of the primary "guys", could just as easily see Kerstetter taking it, Okafor at RT and Maybe Angilau at RG? Too early to speculate I suppose. Maybe clearer by the end of August. Best case scenario is, we never find out, ha.

If Cosmi goes down, then we’d Probably roll out Kerstetter-Braun-Shack-Angilau-Okafor.

actually, not a bad line at all considering Cosmi is our best OL, especially compared to the last ten years or so. 

Kerstetter being able to play all 5 spots is huge for our OL depth. 

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I know a guy that is close friends with freshman CB Marques Caldwell’s dad. 

We all do. His name is lazygringo.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

More than just self-proclaimed.  He ran a 10.27 FAT 100 meter to finish second in the nation as a senior. He also ran a FAT 4.38 40.   That is comparable to Jamaal and Goodwin’s High school times.  He’s fast as shit.  Bet he breaks out this year.  

Duvernay’s shuttle time, 4.24, is not elite like his speed. But it’s damn fast.  

He was asked in media availability the other day what his 40 time is and he guessed 4.3. That's where my self-proclaimed remark comes from. 

1 hour ago, jeevsie said:

Who's touching the QB?!??!!??

Doesn't matter as long as it's not QB1. 

59 minutes ago, fellside said:

I don't understand any of the apprehension about Duvernay or questions about his ability.

The dude put up 51 receptions, 546 yards and 4 TD's as a third option.  And he has the most reliable hands on the team.  What kind of expectations did some of yall have for a third option?

Oklahoma's  third option, what with their prolific air raid offense, was Grant Calcaterra (who's being hyped as one of the top 100 players in the nation) had 26 catches for less than 400 yards.

Duvernay was underwhelming his first two years.  He wasn't last year.  It's weird that some are considering him a concern at slot.

To be fair, CeeDee and Hollywood were rarely not open. Calcaterra was just a short yardage safety blanket and probably ONLY gets the hype because he's a big body that provides a decent change of pace from their 5'7 receivers. 

1 hour ago, fellside said:

I don't understand any of the apprehension about Duvernay or questions about his ability.

The dude put up 51 receptions, 546 yards and 4 TD's as a third option.  And he has the most reliable hands on the team.  What kind of expectations did some of yall have for a third option?

Oklahoma's  third option, what with their prolific air raid offense, was Grant Calcaterra (who's being hyped as one of the top 100 players in the nation) had 26 catches for less than 400 yards.

Duvernay was underwhelming his first two years.  He wasn't last year.  It's weird that some are considering him a concern at slot.

This. I’m getting nothing but Quan Cosby vibes. 

1 hour ago, fellside said:

Isn't Dev a pretty good blocker, too?

It's going to really help the DBs to finally have a plus-pass rush this season. Texas hasn't had one for years.
won't matter... young dbs generally get toasted... even Thorpe winners look bad as 1st and 2nd year guys... just accept it. I use to not accept it. it just is.

when an all pro is there, celebrate, but everybody else is going to follow the usual path of getting burned at inopportune times... they're playing against coaches, too.
  • Like 1

Devin Duvernay is a perfectly cromulent option at slot. The slot plays off the LOS, so a physical nickel or LB can't get a face-to-face jam on him at the snap. When the ball is snapped, Devin's going to be sprinting unimpeded. This is important, because he's essentially racing the pass rush. If he gets downfield faster than the defense can get to the QB, then he's almost always going to be 1 on 1 with a deep safety. Here's the ugly secret - if the deep safety's initial cut is to cover, Devin fades to the outside. If he initially cuts to support, Devin bends inside. Either way, if Sam and Devin see the same thing, the safety is helpless.
The key here is "racing the pass rush". Last season, even as fast as Devin is, the OL couldn't reliably hold up against a pass rush long enough to spring him. This limited everything. LJH rode to our rescue by being a tough matchup who could win contested balls in traffic.  The slot in our offense shouldn't be doing that, but thank Bevo he was there to do it. The lack of downfield threat (primarily caused by not-quite-good-enough pass protection) kept the defenders close to the LOS. Any time Ingram broke through the line on a run, he was sure to find 3 more defenders waiting for him within 7 yards. The compact nature of our offense simply prevented any long gains.
Right now, the Texas WR room has an embarrassment of riches. Not only talent, but diverse talent. Speed. Size. Catch radius, etc, it's all there. If Herb Hand does his job, the receivers will get their time in the press conferences.
I'm going to read the rest, but what makes a man say "cromulent"?

I've never actually heard anyone say "cromulent". Ever. I've only read it. It could be pronounced "kryptonite" as far as I know...

I'm willing to bet that I agree with most of what you wrote, but I got stuck on "cromulent" and could not get away from, "is there something other than 'good enough' that I'm missing?"

I'm going to say "cromulent" tomorrow.
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Matt Campbell assigns a book to his team before fall camp each season. Once fall camp starts, every senior is assigned a chapter of the book to report back to the team on.  During the presentation, the seniors would reflect on their time in college and talk about things like what they've learned and lessons they want to pass on to younger players. The assigned book gets the conversation going during the fall camp nights that are focused on program-building and player ownership. 

For 2016, the book Campbell had his team read was “The Hard Hat: 21 Ways to Be a Great Teammate” by Jon Gordon. A few books that Gordon is well known for are:  

• "The Energy Bus: 10 Rules to Fuel Your Life, Work, and Team with Positive Energy" 
  • "The No Complaining Rule: Positive Ways to Deal with Negativity at Work" 
  • "The Carpenter"
  •  "The Power of Positive Leadership"
  • "The Power of a Positive Team" 
  • "You Win in the Locker Room First"

(Article about Campbell)

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/football/2017/09/27/reading-assignment-book-matt-campbell-prepares-iowa-state-cyclones-football-season-filled-adversity/707543001/

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

don't know if already posted, but if so, imma post it again bitch

That rushing TD by Sam against Kansas gets me going every single time I watch it. He's dragging a defender, jumps over another, and bullies his way into the end zone without going to the ground. I still say "How in fuck did he do that?" to this day.