2019 Texas Longhorns fall practice thread

Machinator

Bad injury luck sucks and can derail a season. Poor roster management is also very frustrating and is a partial by-product of staff turnover. 

That being said, there is no substitute for full-speed and full-contact practice. It promotes physicality, tackling skill, blocking skill, and decreases processing/decision making time when game time comes. "Train like you fight, fight like you train" is a common saying that applies to many skills.

There is a reason why pilots train in the actual aircraft more than in the simulator. There's a reason why elite SOF/SWAT teams use live ammo in the kill-house, placing rounds withing feet of their team mates. Is it risky? Absolutely. Does it give your team the best chance of success in a live environment? Undoubtedly. 

Roster deficiencies are a lot less evident when you punch your opponent in the mouth early and often and your players play fast. We held Georgia to 72 rushing yards with one of our best tacklers on the sideline.

• Like 6

Against LaTech (fingers crossed) we need a RB who can help pick up blitzes and can gain enough yards to keep the defense honest if they're tempted to drop everyone into coverage. Against LSU, depending on how recovery and future injury luck bites us, we will have Ingram, Whittington, R. Johnson, and Smith available. Ideally we would get a true RB1 every year, keeping them for 3. It looks like we'll have arguably 2 instead of 3 guys who could be called RB1 types, and a third string who lacks experience (in two senses) but has a lot of talent. Our health problems (Kirk, Brown, Young, Ingram, Whittington), unfortunately, seem heavily concentrated at RB. Our QB recruiting has actually been good, but similar luck at that spot would already have ruined this season before it starts.

That said, I am disappointed to see us continue to struggle at recruiting and depth at the position coached by the guy who normally should be helping boost other spots on the roster.

Next year looks possibly better (high variability) with maybe Ingram, Whittington, maybe Brown, Bijan, maybe Ty, and maybe R. Johnson at the position. That could very likely be a stable of 6 quality backs. Depending though on NFL, true recovery from known injury/medical, landing expected prospects, and aptitude/tolerance for position change, we could still be left with no one.

Edited by Magus Ossis

4 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Against LaTech (fingers crossed) we need a RB who can help pick up blitzes and can gain enough yards to keep the defense honest if they're tempted to drop everyone into coverage. Against LSU, depending on how recovery and future injury luck bites us, we will have Ingram, Whittington, R. Johnson, and Smith available. Ideally we would get a true RB1 every year, keeping them for 3. It looks like we'll have arguably 2 instead of 3 guys who could be called RB1 types, and a third string who lacks experience (in two senses) but has a lot of talent. Our health problems (Kirk, Brown, Young, Ingram, Whittington), unfortunately, seem heavily concentrated at RB. Our QB recruiting has actually been good, but similar luck at that spot would already have ruined this season before it starts.

That said, I am disappointed to see us continue to struggle at recruiting and depth at the position coached by the guy who normally should be helping boost other spots on the roster.

Next year looks possibly better (high variability) with maybe Ingram, Whittington, maybe Brown, Bijan, maybe Ty, and maybe R. Johnson at the position. That could very likely be a stable of 6 quality backs. Depending though on NFL, true recovery from known injury/medical, landing expected prospects, and aptitude/tolerance for position change, we could still be left with no one.

I don't see R. Johnson staying at RB in 2020, or even for very long this season. He's just a Band-Aid for a bleeding position room. 

3 minutes ago, ASDFASDF said:

I don't see R. Johnson staying at RB in 2020, or even for very long this season. He's just a Band-Aid for a bleeding position room. 

I don't disagree. I listed him as hopefully available for LSU, as prep for that game starts in 9 days. I threw him at the end of the 2020 possibilities (after the FR-HS for that year) as a way of acknowledging the great chance that he will either stay at QB, go back to QB, fail to add up to anything as RB, or transfer to get a better crack at QB elsewhere. But he might just work out as RB.

RoJo is a little smaller than My Man uh Eighteen, but he didn't play in 2A against white midgets, and he did win - a lot. His passing may not be much better than MMuE, but his running is. If he can block a single lick, put RoJo and Sam side by side five yards back and see what happens. The microbacks (at least one of them) got some speed, as do Whit and Jake, and DevDuv has at least as much speed. Some interesting things can be done with that whole thing, especially if there is a blocker in the TE/H room.

Business as expected can be good, but boring. I'm not worried about some potential excitement (even if it's not always resulting in Good Shit™).

• Like 2

i imagine we want to be as vanilla as possible against la tech, show a little as possible lsu.  that would mean a solid running game moving the chains is imperative so that we don't have to go deep into the playbook to move the ball.

if the oline can give us 4-5 yards per carry, it won't matter who's carrying the rock.

9 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

RoJo is a little smaller than My Man uh Eighteen, but he didn't play in 2A against white midgets, and he did win - a lot. His passing may not be much better than MMuE, but his running is. If he can block a single lick, put RoJo and Sam side by side five yards back and see what happens. The microbacks (at least one of them) got some speed, as do Whit and Jake, and DevDuv has at least as much speed. Some interesting things can be done with that whole thing, especially if there is a blocker in the TE/H room.

Business as expected can be good, but boring. I'm not worried about some potential excitement (even if it's not always resulting in Good Shit™).

Please stop this 

• Like 7

What if Jarrett Smith turns out to be a better option than Toneil Carter and Tristan Houston?  Are we good then if Ingram and Jordan stay healthy?  Toneil and Tristian played about as much as walk-ons anyway and Jarrett may be smart enough to understand ball security.  Not ideal, but roll with Ingram and Jordan until Kirk recovers as the third RB.    

6 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

What if Jarrett Smith turns out to be a better option than Toneil Carter and Tristan Houston?  Are we good then if Ingram and Jordan stay healthy?  Toneil and Tristian played about as much as walk-ons anyway and Jarrett may be smart enough to understand ball security.  Not ideal, but roll with Ingram and Jordan until Kirk recovers as the third RB.    

He did have service academy offers, he's not a total scrub:

https://247sports.com/Player/Jarrett-Smith-46039081/

Edited by texifornia

2 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Wrong Smith. Jake Smith is better at RB than everyone listed here including Daniel Young. 

The obvious move is to put Jake Smith back there since Duvernay is getting most the reps at H receiver anyways. Plus you would see an upgrade in the RB room. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Wrong Smith. Jake Smith is better at RB than everyone listed here including Daniel Young. 

The obvious move is to put Jake Smith back there since Duvernay is getting most the reps at H receiver anyways. Plus you would see an upgrade in the RB room. 

Exactly. Smith reminds me of mike alstott.

• Like 2

Yeah we'll be fine. Keaontay and JWhitt will play fine and Sam will be our 3rd runner. That's a lot of firepower. Our RB room will essentially be back to normal in a few weeks when everyone is back to being healthy.

Calling Keaontay an injured back is a little misleading. He's expected to play in game 1. I think we're just holding him out out of caution.

46 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Jake Smith is Mike Alstott?  Jake looks like a bigger Jordan Shipley, but  Mike Alstott was 6'1" 250.  A Train?

11 minutes ago, Thetexashammer said:

Katfid?

Lunch pail guy that really understands the system he’s working in, but much higher ceiling than Toby Gerhart.

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Y’all are acting like a bunch of butch ass pussies.

Well I’m their defense our 2 healthiest running backs is a wr and a Qb the other 1 is likely gone forever. 1 is often injuries. 1 has been injured since pop warner. So yeah we are super fucked proper 

34 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Any word on how Ingram is doing? Man, he so far is looking like Johnathan gray. I want to be proved wrong big time.

I can't figure out if  you're trolling or just this dumb. After your takes on Fillinger I'm leaning the way of you're dumb as shit. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

8 minutes ago, markstanco said:
15 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:
I can't figure out if  you're trolling or just this dumb. After your takes on Fillinger I'm leaning the way of you're dumb as shit. 

What post are you talking about

On 7/18/2019 at 10:36 PM, markstanco said:

Okay, gotta ask. I click on this thread daily because I enjoy it. But I cant recall Van Fillinger coming up. Per 247C he is #373 and a 3 star looking at regional schools mainly like Utah, byu, colorado, BSU, etc. A few roll your eyes offers from michigan and tosu.

Can somebody tell me why this guy is a great get? I'm in no way discounting him, he may be great but I am obviously missing something. A team full of #373's in the country equals kansas state.

On 7/18/2019 at 11:17 PM, markstanco said:

Then why is he #373 and not sitting in front of nick sabens desk. That's my point. Like I said he may be a badass, but none of the blue bloods seem to care nor do the agencies.

On 7/18/2019 at 11:20 PM, markstanco said:
On 7/18/2019 at 11:19 PM, Machinator said:
Because his tape is decent, not elite. He's a bit stiff in the hips and while his frame is good, he won't carry as much healthy weight like Collins will.
#373 is still fringe four-star territory.

You are missing my point. Hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and restart.

On 7/19/2019 at 12:45 AM, markstanco said:
On 7/19/2019 at 12:37 AM, lemonandaturd said:
Yes, and tell that Markstanco dude why this is a good thing.  

Also tell that dumbass markstanco why he is at 373 and this is an awesome get.

On 7/19/2019 at 12:51 AM, markstanco said:
On 7/19/2019 at 12:03 AM, Chili dog said:
People probably asked Saban why he took Josh Jacobs. OU offered late and Texas never offered. I’m pretty sure he was a 3*. Sometimes you have to watch the film (highlights) and do your homework. 

Sweet, so saban hit on a 3 star, and you already have van playing on sundays. You are absolutely missing my point.

Well, when you double down that hard, I guess it would be difficult to determine exactly where to start when taking a trip down memory lane.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Fillinger was a simple question. Apparently you got your panties in a wad over that. Calm the fuck down over a question. I'm not sorry I wrecked your weekend.

1 minute ago, markstanco said:

Fillinger was a simple question. Apparently you got your panties in a wad over that. Calm the fuck down over a question. I'm not sorry I wrecked your weekend.

Fillinger and Sweat will be better than every aggy lineman commit since the chcken farmer Von.  Fuck off aggy,  

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

He’s just lazy and expects the board to spoon feed him information. If he googled player stats he would realize Ingram is nothing like Gray.  

4 minutes ago, markstanco said:

You keep saying this when everyone on this board knows you were trying to imply that Fillinger was a scrub because he was a 3 star. Again, you're dumb as fuck. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Like 5

Surly: "of course they've got to practice,  and practice hard like it's a game. Every snap. Every drill. How do you expect them to play hard on Saturday?!!"

"We should totes bubble wrap Whittington and keep Ingram off for awhile, maybe only a couple of carries against latech too so he'll be all ready to go for LSU"

Y'all funny

• Like 1