Another day, another mass shooting

elfenix

• 2 weeks later...

Maine has permitless carry for all types of firearms.  It's not a big city, but a metro area of 50,000 people with multiple police departments including State's satellite office there, it's not that easy to move around from site to site shooting what now appears to be 50-60 people, with deaths in the high teens.  This isn't like a wooded area near Canada.  It's an area/population the size of Grapevine or Burleson.  Very troubling they can't weed him out unless he's barricaded himself somewhere with hostages.  Which isn't the usual mass shooter M.O.  

update from CNN

At least 16 dead in Lewiston, Maine shootings

From CNN’s John Miller

At least 16 people are dead in multiple shootings in Lewiston, Maine Wednesday night, according to multiple law enforcement sources.

At least 50 to 60 people are injured in the incidents, though it’s unclear how many are injured due to gunfire, the sources told CNN.

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/lewiston-maine-shootings-active-shooter-10-25-23/index.html

He looks a little bit older than the usual mass shooter, maybe 35?  He's doing all that with just one rifle?  I assume he's got several magazines under that coat, but if he's on the move...he appears to be traveling very light for that much carnage.  Unless he's got stuff stashed around town.  This is a weird one even for our country. . 

Yes, there are certainly outliers.  And very deadly ones.  But the overwhelming majority seem to be white males between 18-30.  

This is yet another head scratcher (they all are I suppose) given where it's happening, the amount of firepower bearing down on him, and relative small arsenal.  I know it's confusing outlier because the usual experts haven't chimed in on social media his choice of caliber or weapon customization.  When it takes this long for that stuff to come out from the peanut gallery, it means this is yet another different type we'll have to process like elementary schools or houses of worship.

r/maine has a few posts  on it. Supposedly this is a "person of interest:

Robert Card 4/4/83 Driving a 2013 White Subaru Outback

CDN media

Edit - new shit has come to light. Sounds like exactly the kind of guy that needs guns

image.png.21fbe8522688fba227055c2c05ef5bad.png

Edited by Blotto
  • Rage+1 1

On some level they are just like terrorists. Strike or report my post if you disagree but anyone that does this is a POS. No matter the reason. Many of the people that do this are motivated by fucked reasons because they are fucked up people but I’d bet every single dollar I’ve ever earned that they think they are justified. Whatever God or not you believe in, if you do you have to know that whatever God you do pray to he/she/It doesn’t agree or want this. Fuck that guy. I have no doubt that he’s been posting all over social media.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

On some level they are just like terrorists. Strike or report my post if you disagree but anyone that does this is a POS. No matter the reason. Many of the people that do this are motivated by fucked reasons because they are fucked up people but I’d bet every single dollar I’ve ever earned that they think they are justified. Whatever God or not you believe in, if you do you have to know that whatever God you do pray to he/she/It doesn’t agree or want this. Fuck that guy. I have no doubt that he’s been posting all over social media.

I don’t think you’ll get much resistance on that.  They are the absolute definition of a terrorist. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

9 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I don’t think you’ll get much resistance on that.  They are the absolute definition of a terrorist. 

From blottos post above, the guy is reported to have been hearing voices and had been checked into a mental facility just this summer. It's a bit of a cop out to just say muh terrorism when the shooter is a mentally ill firearms instructor. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

From blottos post above, the guy is reported to have been hearing voices and had been checked into a mental facility just this summer. It's a bit of a cop out to just say muh terrorism when the shooter is a mentally ill firearms instructor. 

As mentally ill as he may be he planned and executed this. It’s “crazy” that as much as they can’t function in their daily lives but what they come up with is—hey I’ve got to kill people and will do this. 

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Yeah, apparently some mental stuff going on (didn’t see that post).  But not too far removed from some that speak to their version of God and commit similar acts on the other side of the world.  They are instilling terror. By definition makes them a muh terrorist. 

Edited by fattyflattie
Belt? Wtf autocorrect
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

eab03dee-e6b1-497d-b145-26f79690dfc2_text.gif

Edited by mchookem

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah, apparently some mental stuff going on (didn’t see that post).  But not too far removed from some that speak to their version of God and commit similar acts on the other side of the world.  They are instilling terror. That belt definition makes them a muh terrorist. 

Terrorism is by definition about using violence and terror to achieve a political outcome. And it carries a HEAVY connotation that I think would unnecessarily muddy the discussion. 

This is a guy who is a trained firearms instructor, (allegedly) former national guard, who had been in a mental institution this summer. He's someone a functional system of guardrails should have kept away from firearms.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is a unique happening. It's what happens when we have more guns than people and an increasingly disconnected and alienated society. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Captainant said:

He didn't open his pitch with that, did he?  "Hi, I'm Robert and I'll be your mentally ill firearms instructor on the range today.  First thing you need to know about me is I'm all about safety first, and building confidence second, and third---holy shit what the fuck is that purple thing on your head?!?" 

Just now, C-Man said:

He’s still at large. Nicole posted that before the press conference. They don’t know where he is.

They shut the channel down. I think though before they did they said something about a highway. 

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

And place scanner traffic thinks he has a night vision scope, which would not be surprising at all.

He’s fleeing before they shut the channel down. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Guy's YouTube channel that @crash_davis posted above has scanners going.

Jesus. They seem to want fame too. In addition to posting their grievances on social media. I say “they” because they aren’t human people to me. As nuts as they are they are pissed off that like didn’t “work out” yet can somehow plan and do this. I get it’s “easy” with guns and ammo which are easy to get. But they have plans and their plans don’t include getting better or treatment or anything similar. It’s to kill. “They” because it’s all the same asshat over and over. 

3 minutes ago, Pound Town said:

"the Lewiston mass shooter was obsessed with conspiracy theories about trans mass shooters, he fantasized about running down protesters with his car, and seems to have been a COVID truther too. Also a big fan of Elon Musk, Tucker Carlson, Jordan Peterson etc"

giphy (1) (26).gif

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 5

1 minute ago, mchookem said:

"the Lewiston mass shooter was obsessed with conspiracy theories about trans mass shooters, he fantasized about running down protesters with his car, and seems to have been a COVID truther too. Also a big fan of Elon Musk, Tucker Carlson, Jordan Peterson etc"

giphy (1) (26).gif

So… what’s his Surly handle?