Another day, another mass shooting

elfenix

Twitter is absolute shit - there's about 50 accounts that are reposting the same videos from other incidents/shootings and claiming it's this one, and twitter ain't doing shit.

Threads needs their trending/hashtag stuff going, but you can always search

https://www.threads.net/search/?q=maine

This is the false video (well one of them)

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

I escaped from the CR with just a “please leave Nicole” whew. It’s not that bad of a place. I just get told to leave and I do. They don’t need an option of mine. Hope they see some sunlight soon.

I wonder if the people at the bowling alley or restaurant were people he knew and wanted to get him some help. Just a thought.

Sorry I realize I am also equally unwelcome on the DT. 

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I escaped from the CR with just a “please leave Nicole” whew. It’s not that bad of a place. I just get told to leave and I do. They don’t need an option of mine. Hope they see some sunlight soon.

I wonder if the people at the bowling alley or restaurant were people he knew and wanted to get him some help. Just a thought.

Sorry I realize I am also equally unwelcome on the DT. 

He knew those people and wanted help so he shot them up? Is that how we do it now?

1 minute ago, royiv said:

He knew those people and wanted help so he shot them up? Is that how we do it now?

I doubt he thinks he needs or wants help. But he was institutionalized earlier this summer. I was thinking he might have had friends at the bowling alley or bar he shot up and somehow blames them. Likely knew those people and they may have been friends and tried to get help for him. Or it could have been as simple with these types as they refused to serve him after repeated issues. I doubt he woke up in a haze and just shot up specific places. So mentally ill like all these types but with planning skills and a mission. Which frankly is weird bc we think of mentally Incapable as being unable to do shit like that. Basically, imo, capable and efficient and have issues with people calling their asses out on their problems. 

he was placed in a care facility for mental illness and he went either voluntarily or involuntarily for treatment. But after providing care and medication, they released him when he reached a certain criteria that no longer required their type of care. He likely had prescriptions and a care plan to visit a mental health provider when he was released. Whether he took his meds or followed his plan is doubtful or he wouldn't be so mentally ill as to conclude that killing people was a good idea. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Still on the loose as of this morning.

https://apnews.com/article/lewiston-maine-shootings-49da6d06a8b5a15d3b619b3927bc33ff

Edit: Jesus that article is heartbreaking.

Lewiston Police said in an earlier Facebook post that they were dealing with an active shooter incident at Schemengees Bar and Grille and at Sparetime Recreation, a bowling alley about 4 miles (6.4 kilometers) away. A number of parents and children were at Sparetime as part of a children’s bowling league.

Ten-year-old Zoey Levesque, who was there with her mother, told WMTW-TV she was grazed by a bullet.

“It’s scary,” she said. “I had never thought I’d grow up and get a bullet in my leg. And it’s just like, why? Why do people do this?”

One bowler, who identified himself only as Brandon, said he heard about 10 shots, thinking the first was a balloon popping.

“I had my back turned to the door. And as soon as I turned and saw it was not a balloon — he was holding a weapon — I just booked it,” he told The Associated Press.

Brandon said he scrambled down the length of the alley, sliding into the pin area and climbing up to hide in the machinery. He was among a busload of survivors who were driven to a middle school in the neighboring city of Auburn to be reunited with family and friends.

“I was putting on my bowling shoes when when it started. I’ve been barefoot for five hours,” he said.

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1

Certified firearms instructor seems like someone who should be a good guy with a gun who saves us from these situations. Or maybe that line of thought is total bullshit? Going to step away from the internet for a minute, turn off the baby monitor and go hug my guns tightly.

• Hook 'Em 9
  • Fuck You 2
  • Rage+1 1

I wonder if part of the (completely understandable) paralysis on the part of some of the patrons of both those businesses who were very likely packing in their vehicles in the lots was, "Hey what, that's Card over there.  What the hell he's doing?"  And before they could process it, he'd already emptied two mags.  A big part of "good guy with a gun" is that the good guy processes it immediately, "I don't know that man with the gun firing into the crowd."  We naturally pause as human nature, when we see people we recognize.  It's as instinctual as squinting at a bright sun.  

Also, anybody know if Maine is like Texas where you can't bring a weapon into an 51% establishment.  Obviously the Bar & Grill/Pool Hall meets that criteria.  Not sure about the bowling alley though.  

So I haven't read any news yet this morning other than seems like he's still on the loose and armed (didn't read anything about them finding anythign other than mags and casings).  So are we at "thoughts and prayers yet", "He seemed like such a nice guy, quiet---kept to himself", "Now is NOT THE TIME!", or "Mental Health needs addressing" even though this guy had his issues addressed but subsequently ignored on certain shopping trips.  Always hard to jump into a movie during the second act.  

Sorry to hear that, but glad he's not injured.  Lisbon is a small town but part of the "Lewiston MSA" of about 50,000 people.  Unlike generic suburbs of that size in Texas, 50,000 people in a New England area is much more tight-knit just due to geography and the layouts of their towns, roads, and recreating areas.  So I'm sure, unfortunately, your nephew likely knows some of the victims or their families. 

We can never, as a country, stop to understand the impact these weekly shootings have on the mental state of those nearby that are left in their wakes.  The devastation will be felt for decades after the news cycle has ended.  It's not that we don't have empathy for strangers and weep with what they must be going through this morning and in the years to come.  It's that we can't, we have to literally triage the wounds because the next active mass shooting is just days away so we have to go on to that one and by the time we deal with the shooter and the victims, it's on to the next one before a reporter can even ask a family member from the one before how they are holding up afterwards.  We have to triage our national responses because we can't pause and mourn and help the victims and their families as such a nation rich with resources.  We just can't.  We have to up and leave one to setup for the next one and the next one and the next one.  Most places around the world, if something like this happened---the citizenry would grind to a halt for weeks to help that community.  And a permanent installation of counselors and therapists and social workers and government agents would be assigned to that town for years and years beyond the incident.  Companies would relocate employees to other towns if they couldn't stand to be there anymore.  Schools would accept transfer students, relocations, bring in new stuff/people, etc., etc., etc.  We can't do that here because we don't the time.  Gotta buckle in for the next one which by my calendar says between today and Halloween.    

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

So not one of those Hispanic white supremacists this time.

In fairness law enforcement came out and said while they found no clear motive for the attack, he did have extensive white supremicist writings and content on his electronic devices, as well as neo-nazi tattoos. It wasn’t some made up shit like Elon and others tried to say. 

19 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Again, the focus will be on the number dead -- 22. It's awful.

What's lost in the wash are:

- the likely millions in medical bills combined for the 50-60 said to be injured
- Lost wages from having to shelter in place
- Cost of paying police, first responders to care for the wounded and capture the shooter
- Cost of forgone earnings from the deceased or permanently injured
- Cost of burial expenses for those killed
- the psychological impact on every one there and on the national psyche that this continues to happen
- multiple businesses where this occurred that are likely to go under, if not have to completely end up being demolished/rebuilt
- what sounds like a small, idyllic town that's going to be permanently scarred and associated with this

If you put a monetary value on it all (you can't), we're talking tens of millions of dollars in damages, all due to one person and a $500-$2000 weapon.

Forget -- if you ever could -- the actual emotional impact of these things. Just put it in dollar terms to take the emotion out of it. It's insane. 

Quoting a really salient comment from another discussion on this shooting - there's such an incredible financial burden left to the survivors of each one of these tragedies, and their community as a whole. Not to mention the brutal horror and tragedy of getting mowed down by a gunman, it's crazy that just from a financial risk mitigation standpoint that we've collectively decided that we aren't going to change course on how we collectively treat firearms.

Ah well, nevertheless. I'll see yall in a week or two.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Still on the loose as of this morning.

https://apnews.com/article/lewiston-maine-shootings-49da6d06a8b5a15d3b619b3927bc33ff

Edit: Jesus that article is heartbreaking.

Lewiston Police said in an earlier Facebook post that they were dealing with an active shooter incident at Schemengees Bar and Grille and at Sparetime Recreation, a bowling alley about 4 miles (6.4 kilometers) away. A number of parents and children were at Sparetime as part of a children’s bowling league.

Ten-year-old Zoey Levesque, who was there with her mother, told WMTW-TV she was grazed by a bullet.

“It’s scary,” she said. “I had never thought I’d grow up and get a bullet in my leg. And it’s just like, why? Why do people do this?”

One bowler, who identified himself only as Brandon, said he heard about 10 shots, thinking the first was a balloon popping.

“I had my back turned to the door. And as soon as I turned and saw it was not a balloon — he was holding a weapon — I just booked it,” he told The Associated Press.

Brandon said he scrambled down the length of the alley, sliding into the pin area and climbing up to hide in the machinery. He was among a busload of survivors who were driven to a middle school in the neighboring city of Auburn to be reunited with family and friends.

“I was putting on my bowling shoes when when it started. I’ve been barefoot for five hours,” he said.

blah blah blah, but did the gun make it home safe that night?  That is what really matters (to a certain segment of our society).

Lewiston is a weird place.  It's a long dead mill town with a sizeable francophone population that is poor.  Plus one of the largest Somali communities in the country.  And an elite Liberal Arts college that plays home to the children of East Coast wealth every fall/winter/spring (the town vs. gown is off the charts). 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Quoting a really salient comment from another discussion on this shooting - there's such an incredible financial burden left to the survivors of each one of these tragedies, and their community as a whole. Not to mention the brutal horror and tragedy of getting mowed down by a gunman, it's crazy that just from a financial risk mitigation standpoint that we've collectively decided that we aren't going to change course on how we collectively treat firearms.

We passed seat belt laws on the basis of financial reasons.   

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Bateshorn said:

Lewiston is a weird place.  It's a long dead mill town with a sizeable francophone population that is poor.  Plus one of the largest Somali communities in the country.  And an elite Liberal Arts college that plays home to the children of East Coast wealth every fall/winter/spring (the town vs. gown is off the charts). 

The AP article I linked called out the outsized African immigrant population as being a source of contention in the community. Plus what with the shooter's social media presence prior to his massacres..... I'll take further discussion elsewhere.

Edited by Captainant

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Well at least a lot of senators and representatives have had great boondoggle trips and “campaign funds” from the gun lobby over the years. That benefit can’t be lost in all of this “noise”. 

I don’t pretend to know shit about mental health care, or the drugs that are prescribed to those seeking treatment. I also don’t stand on my holier than now bullshit like 99% of the folks that come into these threads, but I will say when I was going through my own mental health challenges in the military, and seeking treatment, some of the drugs that they wanted to prescribe to me, had side effects that basically made my life worse than dealing with my own bullshit    That said some of the big pharma shit out there is scary and until you’ve had or dealt with mental health folks it’s sad.   Also people tend to try to use that as a crutch who aren’t really suffering.   I dunno I don’t have an answer but if this dude was on meds and stopped cold Turkey or whatever he’s in a world a fuck mentally and no he’s super fucked 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I don’t pretend to know shit about mental health care, or the drugs that are prescribed to those seeking treatment. I also don’t stand on my holier than now bullshit like 99% of the folks that come into these threads, but I will say when I was going through my own mental health challenges in the military, and seeking treatment, some of the drugs that they wanted to prescribe to me, had side effects that basically made my life worse than dealing with my own bullshit    That said some of the big pharma shit out there is scary and until you’ve had or dealt with mental health folks it’s sad.   Also people tend to try to use that as a crutch who aren’t really suffering.   I dunno I don’t have an answer but if this dude was on meds and stopped cold Turkey or whatever he’s in a world a fuck mentally and no he’s super fucked 

Yeah, poor guy. He’s the real victim here.

9 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Yeah, poor guy. He’s the real victim here.

I can see how someone as obtuse and fucking retarded as you would spin that as poor shooter guy. Where as the point of the post was the drugs we are pumping into humans these days are awful based on personal experience but you do you boo 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I can see how someone as obtuse and fucking retarded as you would spin that as poor shooter guy. Where as the point of the post was the drugs we are pumping into humans these days are awful based on personal experience but you do you boo 

Then maybe, just MAYBE, we shouldn't make it as easy for seriously mentally ill people to obtain a weapon perfectly suited for slaughtering people by the dozens as it is to buy a bottle of vodka?  Correction -- easier, because 18-20 yr olds can't buy vodka.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Then maybe, just MAYBE, we shouldn't make it as easy for seriously mentally ill people to obtain a weapon perfectly suited for slaughtering people by the dozens as it is to buy a bottle of vodka?  Correction -- easier, because 18-20 yr olds can't buy vodka.

You’re right. Next time I’m making laws and rules I’ll bring it up. Thanks 

4 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

You’re right. Next time I’m making laws and rules I’ll bring it up. Thanks 

You vote for the people who make laws and rules.  Use the power you have - vote for people who will support such measures, and don't vote for people who stridently oppose them.  That's all I'd ask.

And yes, I'm aware that in this timeline, that's a wildly unreasonable ask, and I'm crazy for even suggesting it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

You vote for the people who make laws and rules.  Use the power you have - vote for people who will support such measures, and don't vote for people who stridently oppose them.  That's all I'd ask.

And yes, I'm aware that in this timeline, that's a wildly unreasonable ask, and I'm crazy for even suggesting it.

Um, you're talking to a gun enthusiast who also has diagnosed mental health issues. Not sure you're going to find a receptive audience here.

8 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

You’re already blaming this on medication without knowing his background or motive or if he was on medication at all. People are speculating on his political beliefs and mental health history, but it’s too early to know how much of an impact that had on what he chose to do. He may well have just been an angry piece of shit that also happened to be mentally ill. 

7 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Um, you're talking to a gun enthusiast who also has diagnosed mental health issues. Not sure you're going to find a receptive audience here.

Me? I’m the gun enthusiast with diagnosed mental health issues.? 

interesting. I was unaware.

6 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Do you own guns? Was your above admission of mental health issues a false statement?

I don’t have any guns no. Nor does owning a gun make you an enthusiast.  

and yeah a few years back when I had 6 buddies killed in combat and suicide and a wife diagnosed with cancer I got hit with the sads pretty hard.  Instead of taking meds I just took leave and went surfing and spoke to the chaplain on the regular 

but go ahead and keep cooking 

Edited by Sgt Hulk
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Sgt Hulk said:

I don’t have any guns no. Nor does owning a gun make you an enthusiast.  

and yeah a few years back when I had 6 buddies killed in combat and suicide and a wife diagnosed with cancer I got hit with the sads pretty hard.  Instead of taking meds I just took leave and went surfing. 

but go ahead and keep cooking 

Well then mea culpa. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

...and not only but also be a certified instructor teaching/influencing others.