Another day, another mass shooting

elfenix

14 minutes ago, Pound Town said:

I kindly and humbly request a tutorial on how to post a Twitter link.

Go up to the line at the top of your browser where it has the actual site address.  Elon changed the name, but he has never actually changed the web address away from "twitter.com."

So click on the post you want to link, then copy and paste the actual web address from your browser--i.e., the one that has a "twitter.com" address.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I don’t pretend to know shit about mental health care, or the drugs that are prescribed to those seeking treatment. I also don’t stand on my holier than now bullshit like 99% of the folks that come into these threads, but I will say when I was going through my own mental health challenges in the military, and seeking treatment, some of the drugs that they wanted to prescribe to me, had side effects that basically made my life worse than dealing with my own bullshit    That said some of the big pharma shit out there is scary and until you’ve had or dealt with mental health folks it’s sad.   Also people tend to try to use that as a crutch who aren’t really suffering.   I dunno I don’t have an answer but if this dude was on meds and stopped cold Turkey or whatever he’s in a world a fuck mentally and no he’s super fucked 

The VA has a definite tendency to attempt to cure everything with pills, often without seemingly without regard for side effects.  Obviously in this particular situation speculation is pointless without more facts, but that is true.  Probably because it's cheap.  It's not a great strategy in my opinion.  Again, just to be clear, I have no idea if this has any bearing on this situation at all.  I know typically people on psych meds don't haul off and shoot a bunch of people, but these meds can have severe adverse effects, and one someone is on them, they have to ween off.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

Which frankly is weird bc we think of mentally Incapable as being unable to do shit like that.

Nicole, I think this might be a you hang up*.  For example, I feel exactly opposite. I believe it takes a mentally ill person to commit most violent/predatory crimes. 

*I might be misunderstanding your stance. 

• Like 1

Yes, but what if we tried praying harder.  Praying shit outta that prayer.  I mean with all our hearts and minds.  

Imagine any other aspect of U.S. policy or Life in America being dealt with having "Thoughts & Prayers" being used as government-funded solutions.  Imagine if that was our energy policy, or border policy, or national security policy, or educational policy, or regulatory policy, or law enforcement policy, or space exploration policy, or veterans affairs policy, or our medicare policy. 

But here it is as the standalone solution for preventing children from being so disfigured from gun violence in Maine.  That this time, even the "we can use their shoes to identify their bullet-mangled little bodies" didn't even work.  Because they were bowling, and all wearing the same kinds of shoes.  Enjoy your fucking Thursday, America.

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Imagine any other aspect of U.S. policy or Life in America being dealt with having "Thoughts & Prayers" being used as government-funded solutions. 

So.  You mean "every possible thing that could actually help people," right?  Because that's literally the policy position being pushed. Need better education?  Thoughts and prayers.  Need safe drinking water?  Thoughts and prayers.  Need bridges that won't collapse any day now?  Thoughts and prayers.

I should know.  I'm employed by the Thoughts and Prayers lobby, I'm even looking at office space on K Street.  Business is good.

I'm quite serious when I say we could form a "Thoughts & Prayers" SuperPAC tomorrow morning.  We stand for the Second Amendment, helping families of gun violence victims, gun safety, mental health, the power of faith, elimination of violent video games from the marketplace, and all the candidates who support these things along with us.  And the millions of stupid people flocking to our site to donate would crash our servers before lunch.  Granted, we'd later be hunted down and shot to death, but they gotta find Ibiza on a map first.  That's not a given with these people.  

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Nicole, I think this might be a you hang up*.  For example, I feel exactly opposite. I believe it takes a mentally ill person to commit most violent/predatory crimes. 

*I might be misunderstanding your stance. 

I’m not articulating my stance very well. I think all of these types, mass shooters have a screw loose. I was thinking of it from a defense attorney perspective “my client’s insane/actions couldn’t be helped/mentally ill so not culpable” that type of bs. I think hearing voices though might qualify. I just mean most of the mass shooters— these folks know right and wrong for the most part. They know how to plan, execute and attempt to get away with it. They want to kill and inflict pain. Sure They have a screw loose. But they are capable of stopping themselves from committing mass murder. They don’t because they want to kill as many people as possible. 

again I’m not explaining it right. There are very few criminally insane people. I’m not sure about this particular shooter. Which we will learn more about in the next few days. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm thinking we got about 3 more mass shooters posting clear vitriolic hatred of certain targeted groups before some on here drunkenly post, "You can't use them against them/us/the movement.  That violates freedom of speech!"  Which isn't really how that amendment works in criminal trials.  Should be real good for the site's public reputation.  

Why is it every Texan I've met lately that starts with, "As a student on the constitution, let me learn you something..."  It's the First, Second, and Fifth Amendments and then their "knowledge" falls off a fucking cliff?  They kinda know the general theme of a couple more, but not the numbers and they sure as shit never know more than 5 or 6 of the 27 overall?  And they sure as shit don't know a page of case law.  

2 hours ago, texasdago said:

...and not only but also be a certified instructor teaching/influencing others.

I saw that he was a certified instructor, didn't see anywhere that he was actively a firearms instructor.  You'd think that would get pulled the minute you enter a mental health facility, no? 

25 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yes, but what if we tried praying harder.  Praying shit outta that prayer.  I mean with all our hearts and minds.  

Imagine any other aspect of U.S. policy or Life in America being dealt with having "Thoughts & Prayers" being used as government-funded solutions.  Imagine if that was our energy policy, or border policy, or national security policy, or educational policy, or regulatory policy, or law enforcement policy, or space exploration policy, or veterans affairs policy, or our medicare policy. 

But here it is as the standalone solution for preventing children from being so disfigured from gun violence in Maine.  That this time, even the "we can use their shoes to identify their bullet-mangled little bodies" didn't even work.  Because they were bowling, and all wearing the same kinds of shoes.  Enjoy your fucking Thursday, America.

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I saw that he was a certified instructor, didn't see anywhere that he was actively a firearms instructor.  You'd think that would get pulled the minute you enter a mental health facility, no? 

Do you even "The corporate culture at this Range, is we promote from within", bro??  

30 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So.  You mean "every possible thing that could actually help people," right?  Because that's literally the policy position being pushed. Need better education?  Thoughts and prayers.  Need safe drinking water?  Thoughts and prayers.  Need bridges that won't collapse any day now?  Thoughts and prayers.

I should know.  I'm employed by the Thoughts and Prayers lobby, I'm even looking at office space on K Street.  Business is good.

Huh... that's a good point.  Next time someone bitches about the border, just tell them thoughts and prayers.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Perfect - let's expand it to the national defense strategy and we'll actually have a shot at repaying the national debt.

Okay, my list of "thoughts and prayers" policy solutions was meant as futile satire given its ubiquity in times like these, which as well now be a permanent fixture of the American fabric.  Y'all take your border debates or faith-based skygod solutions to another thread.  The bible was pretty clear on the southern border of the United States and overstayed visas as our air and seaport points of entry.  Immigration policy is easy when you're working from one faith-based map for 1000 years that only like 7 people can fucking read.  /rant

Now on to my plan to monetize this tragedy.  Stay tuned...

honestly we should have individual threads per mass shooting. i saw this bumped and didn't want to look, it's easy to not see stuff if you're busy and don't watch the news, shit I still haven't seen all of the awful shit out of Israel/Gaza. But I just did a quick google and 18 people jesus titty fucking christ. Just another Wednesday.

i got a pair of rancourts today so this hits close to home

Edited by Celery Man

4 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

honestly we should have individual threads per mass shooting. i saw this bumped and didn't want to look, it's easy to not see stuff if you're busy and don't watch the news, shit I still haven't seen all of the awful shit out of Israel/Gaza. But I just did a quick google and 18 people jesus titty fucking christ. Just another Wednesday.

We say that and definitely feel that, but I was thinking actually the other day, "It's been a while since there has been a mass shooting, maybe things are getting better". I don't know what the data would bear out, and of course one mass shooting a year is still one too many and a horrific unacceptable tragedy, but the perception I had was that it wasn't as prevalent and often as it had been in the past. I hope I'm not just desensitized to it in America and distracted with other horrific news of death from Ukraine, Israel, etc.

Edit to add, defining mass shootings in such a way that they are like this, or Uvalde, or Allen Outlet malls, etc. and not just any shootings with 3 or more people or whatever a technical definition of mass shootings would be, irrespective of motive and context.

Edited by BeardIP

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I believe it takes a mentally ill person to commit most violent/predatory crimes. 

And that's why we need to build more prisons and further militarize our police (and ourselves) rather than try to address mental illness across our population.

Which again raises the question, what is so different about our country from most of the rest of the world that these incidents continue to happen here with such shocking frequency?

It must be that we have more mental illness here.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

No it's because we have more video games.  Japan, the video gaming capital of the Solar System, must have 10x...no 100x more gun violence than we do.

No wait, it's lack of Christian prayer in schools.  That's the cause.  Wait, what?  China, India, Indonesia, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nigeria, and Egypt.  All with at least 100,000,000 or more non-Christians who do not pray in school to our American God.  Surely they must have infinitely more gun deaths than we do? 

Wait, wait.  we just have worse mental health issues here.  Everybody else is totally in balance with themselves and the universe. 

Wait, wait...it's dangerous urban areas with no fatherly figures.  (Checks notes on all the small town mass shootings of a distinctly non-urban demographic shooter base).  Dammit. 

Well something has to explain it.  Ah yes, books. 

• Hook 'Em 7

12 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

When they said he escaped possibly on a jet ski and the fact that this is in Maine, all I could think of was the movie Lake Placid. I’m a terrible person. 

IMG_7797.webp

Could be worse.  You could have been thinking about Cocaine Bear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Apparently shooter was hearing impaired and recently got hearing aids. 

There was some kind of deaf bowling team at the bowling alley during attack, probably coincidental. 

Authorities now saying that the shooter was not a certified firearm instructor and never served in that capacity in the national guard. 

Some chatter going on that authorities currently have suspect surrounded in an abandoned structure… on his family’s property. Kind of surprising if true. I was out here thinking he was some survivalist going to hide in the forest for a long time but he basically just did the shootings and went home. 

4 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

It's fucking maine.  They have gun stores INSIDE the fucking psych ward.

And yes, his home is surrounded.  CNN is live. 

• Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Apparently shooter was hearing impaired and recently got hearing aids. 

There was some kind of deaf bowling team at the bowling alley during attack, probably coincidental. 

Authorities now saying that the shooter was not a certified firearm instructor and never served in that capacity in the national guard. 

According to a guy interviewed on CNN, he claimed to have been trained by the perp. So not sure what to make of that , but the guy interviewed said he’s hella competent with firearms

Edited by jdhorn92

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Wait.....so 24 hours after the shootings, they just got around to checking out his house?

Law enforcement: "So, we've ID'd the shooter, we just can't find him anywhere."

Random kid walking by: "Huh....did you check his house?"

Law enforcement: "Sonofa...."

They were in the house last night.  Per CNN, they think he might have circled back.

29 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

They were in the house last night.  Per CNN, they think he might have circled back.

And keeping one guy out front and one guy out back after the initial sweep never occurred to them?  This is astonishing police work. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Probably had a motorbike stashed somewhere near where he ditched the jet ski. If he’s alive and not dead in the woods somewhere from suicide. I wonder if he’s even in Maine at this point. It’s clear that LE doesn’t really know. When you do something in this in a small community you have a much bigger head start and this guy clearly planned stuff. 

42 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Wait.....so 24 hours after the shootings, they just got around to checking out his house?

Law enforcement: "So, we've ID'd the shooter, we just can't find him anywhere."

Random kid walking by: "Huh....did you check his house?"

Law enforcement: "Sonofa...."

this is example #794268534 that the police cannot, will not, don’t care to protect you. Rifles of all kinds kill something like 500 Americans total per year. Banning semi auto rifles fixes essentially nothing. When cops kill innocent people, we blame the cops. When psychopaths kill people, we blame the gun (unless they use a van or whatever, then it’s terrorism or racism or whatever)

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2