Jim Harbaugh NO LONGER coaches at Michigan

Parliament

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/2023/01/jim-harbaughs-pay-at-michigan-topped-10-million-in-2022.html?outputType=amp

Jim Harbaugh had his most lucrative season yet at Michigan, cashing in on more than $10 million in base pay and contract incentives for 2022.

The Wolverines’ head coach is set to collect $10.1 million in total after his team reached won the Big Ten and reached the College Football Playoff for a second straight year, a figure calculated from his new contract.

Harbaugh, 59, was due $7.05 million in base salary and additional compensation for the year, originally reported as part of his restructured five-year deal signed in February, while also earning four bonus payments and a seven-figured deferred payment to his retirement fund.

Those bonus payments include $500,000 for Michigan winning the Big Ten’s East division and playing in the conference championship game, a figure we reported in early December, plus an additional, cumulative $1 million for winning it.

Harbaugh was named Big Ten coach of the year in December, earning himself an additional $50,000.

The bonuses continued to roll in after the Wolverines earned the No. 2 seed in the CFP and played Texas Christian in the Fiesta Bowl on Dec. 31, a semifinal round game, earning Harbaugh an additional $500,000.

In total, Harbaugh earned $2,050,000 in contract bonuses for his team’s on-field success, a similar amount to 2021, when Michigan accomplished the same feats. You might recall then, Harbaugh had his contract slashed and only collected about $5 million in base pay for the year.

On 10/20/2023 at 3:30 PM, Paul Wesley said:

Babers said on his podcast that he (himself) knew exactly what the play was going to be based on Texas' personnel and alignment - we had run the same routes from the same formation vs Bama (and maybe others).  He agrees that the OU defense acted like they knew the play. 

I would bet the house that most/all of our opponents are trying to steal signs... but that particular play might just be opposing players who watch film + a failure in self-scouting.  

If we are talking about the Ewers pick on the slant, he was panicked. If he holds it for a beat and hits X on the 2nd window, X probably houses it.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

So, in 2019 Harbaugh was 9-4.  2020 Harbaugh was 2-4.  Covid, so you can take that into consideration.  Here's the season by season record:

2015 10-3

2016 10-3

2017 8-5

2018 10-3

2019 9-4

2020 2-4

But beginning in 2021, Harbaugh was 12-2.  Last year was 13-1.  And this year 5-0.  Including beating OSU the past 2 seasons.

And the staffer has been buying tickets for (including this season) 3 seasons now.

Completely coincidental. 

Remember also that Harbaugh took a pay cut after the 2020 season because he wasn’t getting it done on the football field. At that point no one in the NFL was interested in him  anymore.

“Following a disappointing 2020 season, Harbaugh agreed to a four-year, incentive-laden extension that notably included a major reduction in his base pay, taking him from one of the highest-paid coaches in college football to a salary of about $4 million.”

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/jim-harbaugh-contract-michigan-extends-coach-through-2026-season-raising-deal-to-36-7-million/

1 hour ago, gernblansten said:

Hopefully there are some federal indictments and FBI wire taps out there, the NCAA can really lay down the hammer with such evidence. 

spacer.png

I addressed the difference between the issues in the very post you quoted and edited. So, yeah, dumb fucking post and bad forum bullshit on your end. 

On 10/20/2023 at 8:30 AM, Pam Cummings said:

Thats kinda weird that youre allowed to use videotape and broadcast footage to steal the signs but sending a guy to do it is illegal.

the video/broadcast isn't going to allow you to match the sign to the play for probably 95% of the plays.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I addressed the difference between the issues in the very post you quoted and edited. So, yeah, dumb fucking post and bad forum bullshit on your end. 

I’m very sorry that my cheap joke about the NCAA and Bill Self upset you. 

Everyone who read your posts understands how you meticulously set out the difference between dropping bags and “look the other way” infractions that occur and what may be systematic video cheating to make the Patriots blush. Quite sorry I didn’t have the time to reiterate each of your points while making a joke. 

I’m gonna take the evening to think about what I’ve done and hopefully come back better tomorrow. I don’t want today’s mistake to lead to a mistake tomorrow. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

19 minutes ago, JBJ said:

This is clearly a fall guy.  They'll have issues tying this back to the school.

I don't know about that. You may be right but this was a guy making 55K a year buying all of these tickets in his own name and travelling to all of these stadiums. He was clearly getting paid either by the school or a booster. Even if a booster, the only way Michigan skates is if Harbaugh can plausibly claim he had no idea what was going on, otherwise dreaded Lack of Institutional Control. I don't see how he can claim to have all of these decoded signs going into games without having some knowledge of how he got them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

I don't know about that. You may be right but this was a guy making 55K a year buying all of these tickets in his own name and travelling to all of these stadiums. He was clearly getting paid either by the school or a booster. Even if a booster, the only way Michigan skates is if Harbaugh can plausibly claim he had no idea what was going on, otherwise dreaded Lack of Institutional Control. I don't see how he can claim to have all of these decoded signs going into games without having some knowledge of how he got them. 

53 minutes ago, JBJ said:

This is clearly a fall guy.  They'll have issues tying this back to the school.

NCAA Bylaws

11.1.1.1 Responsibility of Head Coach. An institution's head coach is presumed to be responsible for the actions of all institutional staff members who report, directly or indirectly, to the head coach. An institution's head coach shall promote an atmosphere of compliance within the program and shall monitor the activities of all institutional staff members involved with the program who report, directly or indirectly, to the coach. (Adopted: 4/28/05, Revised: 10/30/12, 7/16/14)

Connor Stalions was a paid staffer employed by the Michigan football program.  This provision was enacted for exactly this purpose - having the head coach plead ignorance is just too big of a loophole.  Harbaugh won't be able to skate by claiming he didn't know.

CTJ is spot on.  This is a different level of organized, coordinated cheating.  If everyone was doing it you wouldn't see such a jump in production by Michigan (see the previous post about UM's performance against the spread vis a vis other top programs).  UM broke rules and broke them in a way that gave them a substantial competitive advantage.  Other schools are pissed.  The NCAA already was gunning for Harbaugh after rejecting the proposed settlement on the covid/cheeseburger ordeal.

I don't know how this plays out, but I am pretty confident that one way or another, Harbaugh will not be coaching the Texas game next season.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I don't doubt all that, but I say again it had little effect on the game.  We forgot how to tackle.  We didn't lose by cheating; we lost fair and square.  Further I hope he's still coach when we play.  We need to wipe that stink off our record.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gernblansten said:

I’m very sorry that my cheap joke about the NCAA and Bill Self upset you. 

Everyone who read your posts understands how you meticulously set out the difference between dropping bags and “look the other way” infractions that occur and what may be systematic video cheating to make the Patriots blush. Quite sorry I didn’t have the time to reiterate each of your points while making a joke. 

I’m gonna take the evening to think about what I’ve done and hopefully come back better tomorrow. I don’t want today’s mistake to lead to a mistake tomorrow. 

Well, look, getting introspective is a sign that you can be helped. I’m proud of you. 

17 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

So, in 2019 Harbaugh was 9-4.  2020 Harbaugh was 2-4.  Covid, so you can take that into consideration.  Here's the season by season record:

2015 10-3

2016 10-3

2017 8-5

2018 10-3

2019 9-4

2020 2-4

But beginning in 2021, Harbaugh was 12-2.  Last year was 13-1.  And this year 5-0.  Including beating OSU the past 2 seasons.

And the staffer has been buying tickets for (including this season) 3 seasons now.

Completely coincidental. 

Having a generational QB instead of 6 different JAGs probably has nothing to do with it either. 

I couldn't care less about this. It appears to help the offense more than the defense because by the time you decipher the offenses code and communicate it somehow to the defense the ball is snapped so not really time to adjust. Michigan runs an extremely slow offensive pace, so knowing the defensive signs would give them time to adjust what they are doing. In the 2021 ohio state game michigan ran the ball all but 4 times in the second half. They dominated the buckeyes, there is no amount of sign stealing in the world that would have changed the outcome of that game. 

Edited by Juicy
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, locodos said:

or cheating and having all the opponents play calls, but sure, it was totally the raw skill of the players instead

I guess its a good thing they have the rest of the season to see which it was.... if Michigan implodes I will take my lumps. If they pound Pedo and Ohio state on the way to the playoffs again, I think it will be pretty clear that they actually may be talented. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Juicy said:

I guess it's a good thing they have the rest of the season to see which it was.... if Michigan implodes I will take my lumps. If they pound Pedo and Ohio state on the way to the playoffs again, I think it will be pretty clear that they actually may be talented. 

Just maybe it's a little more nuanced than that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Juicy said:

I guess its a good thing they have the rest of the season to see which it was.... if Michigan implodes I will take my lumps. If they pound Pedo and Ohio state on the way to the playoffs again, I think it will be pretty clear that they actually may be talented. 

I think at this point everyone already knows what they are.  Because it's totally on every remaining team to change all of their signaling mid season to protect the last shreds of Michigan dignity.

Maybe mid season Michigan should change it's coaching staff instead.

The NCAA acknowledges this is not a major advantage. The rules committee actually considered repealing 11.6.1 a couple years ago. Their rationale:

Rationale: The Board of Directors Infractions Process Committee requested that the Legislative Committee Modernization of the Rules Subcommittee focus its rules modernization efforts on identifying rules that no longer serve the needs of the membership and the 21st century student-athlete, and recommending modifications to or the elimination of such rules. Specifically, livestreams of intercollegiate competition and prerecorded game film are readily available in the digital age. The minimal competitive advantage gained by scouting future opponents in-person is outweighed by the monitoring and enforcement burdens of ensuring compliance with the legislation.

Go out beat Penn State, Ohio State, and whoever from the west makes the B1G championship and this becomes a non story. Go out and drop games to any of these teams, and look bad doing it and it becomes "see what happens when the playing field is equal" 

Michigan has to handle their business. Pedo and O$U looked pretty rough last week, Michigan should smash them. 

Edited by Juicy
  • Fuck You 4

10 minutes ago, Juicy said:

They're talented.  I will give you that for sure and they are well coached.  It appears they may be too well coached.

3 minutes ago, Juicy said:

The NCAA acknowledges this is not a major advantage. The rules committee actually considered repealing 11.6.1 a couple years ago. Their rationale:

Rationale: The Board of Directors Infractions Process Committee requested that the Legislative Committee Modernization of the Rules Subcommittee focus its rules modernization efforts on identifying rules that no longer serve the needs of the membership and the 21st century student-athlete, and recommending modifications to or the elimination of such rules. Specifically, livestreams of intercollegiate competition and prerecorded game film are readily available in the digital age. The minimal competitive advantage gained by scouting future opponents in-person is outweighed by the monitoring and enforcement burdens of ensuring compliance with the legislation.

Go out beat Penn State, Ohio State, and whoever from the west makes the B1G championship and this becomes a non story. Go out and drop games to any of these teams, and look bad doing it and it becomes "see what happens when the playing field is equal" 

Michigan has to handle their business. Pedo and O$U looked pretty rough last week, Michigan should smash them. 

You should probably sit this one out, sport.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Dude, There is a huge difference between scouting an opponenet and knowing exactly what play they just sent in.  I know you're smarter than this.

Just now, TheAuditor said:

I have no Dog in this fight,  but Michigan is probably the closest comparable to Texas in terms of how their Administration, Alumni, and Boosters view themselves.  If you substituted Texas for Michigan here,  do you think our Coaching staff survives?  

If you made that substitution this shit would be plastered everywhere on sports sites. It feels like it's not getting near the coverage it should be.

• Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to Jim Harbaugh NO LONGER coaches at Michigan