Dallas Cowboys 2019 Season Thread -- Aaaah Zeke Out?

Patrick Bateman

12 hours ago, Hate said:

The constant has been JJ as the face of the franchise.  He should be like other owners, cashing checks and collecting trophies.  He's just incapable of doing it.  Fuck him and may he rot in hell.  I'm going to start blaming the fans that pay to go see Cowboys games from now on.  Boycott the stupid mother fucker.  Don't buy any gear.  I know he will get NFL money, but if that stadium is empty of Cowboys fans  maybe he will get the message...but probably not. 

JJ getting the message ain't gonna happen.

I remember back when the Rangers started getting good and kicking ass, there were a lot of empty seats at early Cowboy games. The fans started chanting "Let's go Rangers". It was very audible on tv. I laughed and said, maybe JJ will get the message. He didn't. JJ is a helluva business man and a shitty GM.

30 minutes ago, EastTexan said:

JJ getting the message ain't gonna happen.

I remember back when the Rangers started getting good and kicking ass, there were a lot of empty seats at early Cowboy games. The fans started chanting "Let's go Rangers". It was very audible on tv. I laughed and said, maybe JJ will get the message. He didn't. JJ is a helluva business man and a shitty GM.

Jerry has shown his abilities as a business manager. He is a showman who knows have to deliver an entertaining product. But he lacks the ability to act as a successful General Manager. His belief that the strengths of others will somehow overcome his weaknesses as a GM and magically create a winning organization is laughable.

Throughout the Cowboys there is a laughable lack of accountability. Those increasingly closer to Jerry's inner circle are increasingly exempt from being called out for their incompetence. This problem permeates the entire Cowboys organization. By Jerry making it abundantly clear that "certain people" will never lose their positions, regardless of how incompetent they have proven to be, the entire Cowboys organization has realized the priority is to curry favor with Jerry (or Stephen, or Charlotte, etc). Period.

Because proximity to Jerry and his PR machine is important to the sports press who cover the Cowboys organization, the members of the press fully understand there are truths that cannot be openly discussed. One of those truths is that the Cowboys organization doesn't have the "best and the brightest" running their organization. Not even close.

Eventually, one of the press who covers the organization will find themself out the outside looking in and will start telling harsh truths about the problems and culture that hold the team back from being a top team in the NFL. When/if that happens, the backstabbing throughout the organization will be epic. The problems are unquestionably cultural and very deep-seated.

Personally, I think the first step would be for Jerry to step aside and bring Aikman in as GM. Not that I think Aikman is a transcendent GM, but because I believe he is one of the few people who both understands the cultural problems besetting the organization and can push back against Jerry without concerns about his job.

There is simply an extreme dearth of intellectual firepower throughout the Cowboys organization and some serious changes are needed. But there is little hope Jerry wants to win badly enough to be willing to make the changes that are needed.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Jerry has shown his abilities as a business manager. He is a showman who knows have to deliver an entertaining product. But he lacks the ability to act as a successful General Manager. His belief that the strengths of others will somehow overcome his weaknesses as a GM and magically create a winning organization is laughable.

Throughout the Cowboys there is a laughable lack of accountability. Those increasingly closer to Jerry's inner circle are increasingly exempt from being called out for their incompetence. This problem permeates the entire Cowboys organization. By Jerry making it abundantly clear that "certain people" will never lose their positions, regardless of how incompetent they have proven to be, the entire Cowboys organization has realized the priority is to curry favor with Jerry (or Stephen, or Charlotte, etc). Period.

Because proximity to Jerry and his PR machine is important to the sports press who cover the Cowboys organization, the members of the press fully understand there are truths that cannot be openly discussed. One of those truths is that the Cowboys organization doesn't have the "best and the brightest" running their organization. Not even close.

Eventually, one of the press who covers the organization will find themself out the outside looking in and will start telling harsh truths about the problems and culture that hold the team back from being a top team in the NFL. When/if that happens, the backstabbing throughout the organization will be epic. The problems are unquestionably cultural and very deep-seated.

Personally, I think the first step would be for Jerry to step aside and bring Aikman in as GM. Not that I think Aikman is a transcendent GM, but because I believe he is one of the few people who both understands the cultural problems besetting the organization and can push back against Jerry without concerns about his job.

There is simply an extreme dearth of intellectual firepower throughout the Cowboys organization and some serious changes are needed. But there is little hope Jerry wants to win badly enough to be willing to make the changes that are needed.

Hey Denver did pretty good bringing Elway in as a GM, why not bring Aikman to the Cowboys! - Randy Duke 

This is fucking stupid and I think you know it. 

23 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

We can blame the coaches all day, but yesterday was 100% on Dak. People will cry “how did we only run the ball 15 times.” They stacked the box and basically dared Dak to beat us yesterday, and the plays were there to be made. He just didn’t make them. He isn’t accurate. He can be accurate, but right now he just isn’t consistent with his accuracy. At all. They’ll say “but his shoulder”, and i call bullshit on that. 

I’ve been a Dak believer, but you can’t pay this guy 35mil a year. That’s just insane at this point. In a lot of ways, Dak is prime Andy Dalton. A guy that is just good enough to fall into that middle tier of starting QBs, but ultimately not a difference maker by any means. You pay Dak 35 mil, and you have to bank on this organization piecing it together around him...when he isn’t capable of carrying this thing. 

As for alternatives, who cares. I get that it’s a slippery slope, and you don’t want to move on from a guy that’s shown promise, but after a certain point you have to ask yourself. It this guy isn’t willing to take a “discount” is he really worth paying top dollar? Fuck no. Someone will think they’re a qb away from winning a super bowl and they’ll pay him the same way Kirk cousins got paid. But then they’ll realize quickly that it’s hard to teach accuracy. He’s a solid leader (I think. Who the fuck really knows, actually), but he isn’t a 35 million dollar qb. And if Wentz is 32 mil, he isn’t that either. 

If you gave Dak an early AJ Green, he would be vastly superior to Andy Dalton. Dalton is Ryan Fitzpatrick level bad, and Green was the only thing that made him look serviceable. 

9 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

If you gave Dak an early AJ Green, he would be vastly superior to Andy Dalton. Dalton is Ryan Fitzpatrick level bad, and Green was the only thing that made him look serviceable. 

So what if you gave dalton the best offensive line and the best running back in the league for the vast majority of his career? My point is, Dak has a lot to work with. A lot more than a lot of other guys in the league. I’d be curious to see what he’d look like on a team like the bears with no running game, and a below average oline. Or even Philly. Dak shouldn’t be making more money than Carson Wentz. I really don’t like paying him as much as Wentz, but there’s no way in hell im going more than the 32 mil a year that we’re going to have to pay him. That’s really my overall point. I think that’s beyond stupid.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, youdunnf'dup said:

So what if you gave dalton the best offensive line and the best running back in the league for the vast majority of his career? My point is, Dak has a lot to work with. A lot more than a lot of other guys in the league. I’d be curious to see what he’d look like on a team like the bears with no running game, and a below average oline. Or even Philly. Dak shouldn’t be making more money than Carson Wentz. I really don’t like paying him as much as Wentz, but there’s no way in hell im going more than the 32 mil a year that we’re going to have to pay him. That’s really my overall point. I think that’s beyond stupid.

I definitely agree with you about the contract, it's utter stupidity. I'm just saying Dak is better than Dalton. Dalton fucking suuuuuuuucks. Even with Mixon and Ross he's hardly serviceable. Dak at least has shown he can throw a football to more than one wr. 

30 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I definitely agree with you about the contract, it's utter stupidity. I'm just saying Dak is better than Dalton. Dalton fucking suuuuuuuucks. Even with Mixon and Ross he's hardly serviceable. Dak at least has shown he can throw a football to more than one wr. 

Dalton may have been a bad example. I was trying to think of legitimately mediocre qbs who would succeed if they were in a similar situation as Dak. Guys that aren’t difference makers, and guys that haven’t really shown signs of evolving into being a difference maker.

9 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Dalton may have been a bad example. I was trying to think of legitimately mediocre qbs who would succeed if they were in a similar situation as Dak. Guys that aren’t difference makers, and guys that haven’t really shown signs of evolving into being a difference maker.

Yeah, I feel you. I just really fucking hate Dalton lol

48 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Witten had his moments last year, but he sure dropped a few critical passes at the end of the season. Nice catch against the Rams  in the "Who the Fuck are These Cowboys" Bowl.

If they would have kept him in the role he started out the season where he was getting about 45-50% of the snaps, with the majority of them being 2 TE sets then it would have been okay.  It was when they started playing him 80-90% of the snaps that his role became problematic.  He simply doesn't have the legs anymore except to catch and fall down and while he's probably our best blocker at the position, he's not a great blocker anymore.

11 hours ago, RPM said:

he can't block

Jarwin can't and it's a big issue.  He's an oversized WR (which is literally what he is) and blocks like one.  Seriously, his blocking is probably on bar with Amari or Gallup.  He's terrible at it but he's a big athletic mismatch in the passing game.  The big issue was on obvious passing downs, where it's 90% the TE will run a pattern, we had Jason in.  There's no excuse for that deployment any longer.  We definitely need an upgrade at the TE position next year.  This year's group wasn't really much of an upgrade on Swaim (who couldn't stay healthy), Jarwin, Schultz group.  Jarwin until he can learn to block will probably have to inhabit the move 2nd TE position so we need to sign or draft a contributor next year and let Jason retire within the organization.  Frankly, even at 5m or whatever, we can't afford him.

Give you an idea of what we have been getting from the TE position.

Jarwin was a wr in college if I’m not mistaken. I’m pretty sure Hunter Henry is a UFA next year. We should take a hard look at him and just hope he can stay healthy.

But an above average TE who can actually block and not give away the fact that we’re throwing when he’s out there would go a long way towards Dak’s development 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

If they would have kept him in the role he started out the season where he was getting about 45-50% of the snaps, with the majority of them being 2 TE sets then it would have been okay.  It was when they started playing him 80-90% of the snaps that his role became problematic.  He simply doesn't have the legs anymore except to catch and fall down and while he's probably our best blocker at the position, he's not a great blocker anymore.

You make a good point about his legs. One thing you expect out of a tight end is the run after the catch. For starters, it's fun to watch. 

One thing I hate about the NFL's move to the passing game is that most of the receivers out there catch the ball and go straight down. It's too easy. If you're going to throw a three yard pass, why not get the ball to a running back that knows what to do with it after the catch. So why not have two running backs in the game, to include a FB that can block or, after a catch, pound a couple of tacklers - once maybe twice a game. This five receivers split out on third and three is bullshit. It's a crap shoot - will your primary and secondary receivers be held up? Will every one of them be held in some form, before or after the catch. Where's the strategy?

If I want to watch someone shoot craps, I'll go to Vegas. I want to see deception and strategy, and clean honest athleticism. The NFL has forgotten all that with their policies on holding and interference, and that's why attendance is sucking hind tit.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

1 hour ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Jarwin was a wr in college if I’m not mistaken. I’m pretty sure Hunter Henry is a UFA next year. We should take a hard look at him and just hope he can stay healthy.

But an above average TE who can actually block and not give away the fact that we’re throwing when he’s out there would go a long way towards Dak’s development 

That's why I wrote he's literally an overgrown WR.  I would be very surprised if the Chargers let Henry go without a big push to retain his services and he'll be very expensive after showing he is very very good when healthy.  Some are expecting a top 3 TE contract or better for him (Ertz has to be extended soon too) and Hooper is a UFA too.  I would guess the Chargers will let the high priced RB (Gordon walk) and re-sign Henry.  Don't think if want to retain our main free agents, we'll have the money to get into the Henry sweep stakes.  I think we look for a Darren Fells type.  Good blocker with upside in the passing game not yet used.  He was very cheap and good this year.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

20 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Witten sucks the fucking life out of this offense. Jarwin has so much potential but that selfish fuckstick had to come back and get a charity give away from this team because they have no idea what they are doing. Remember when people actually bought that Witten would have to earn his role back and his snaps would be decreased? Lmao. Dude walked back after he "retired" or quit and did zero to earn his way back. These 3 yard routes suck the life out of anything we try to do. Mind numbing how this guy still gets on the field as often as he does. He adds zero. Jarwin is cheap right now. Dynamic. Speedy. Can stretch the field. Why the hell did we bring back Witten for $5mill to do nothing?

He was cheap for a couple of years when they didn't use him. Now expect him to have a big year in 2020 and they'll have to give him a huge contract so he can end up being an average, or end up on another team playing in Pro bowls.

20 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

He was a great cover corner. Jimmy effectively cut him because he made too much money as a storied vet. 

Look, I’m a Walls fan. I’m a bigger Jimmy fan. He did what he needed to do to build a (short) dynasty. That’s what this team needs now. 

NFL reality is Walls was hitting his 30s and the team was horrible. He was coming off his worst year as a pro. He was slow, and they wanted faster corners. They moved on. Glad Walls had a couple of good years and got a ring, one of my all time favorite Cowboys. The thing about the Cardinals game is just something people yap about when they have already made up their mind that they're gonna let a guy go. If he had a great year it wouldn't have ever been an issue. He's just a good guy. Jimmy kept a lot of players who did much worse, but they were doing work.

Edited by DougO

On 12/24/2019 at 1:34 PM, youdunnf'dup said:

I just hope we don’t draft a TE with the idea that he’s going to give us anything his rookie year, and maybe even his 2nd year. That’s just not how it works with that position. Or it rarely works like that, at least.

Well I’m sure sending scouts to all the Baylor basketball games. 

On 12/24/2019 at 11:24 AM, youdunnf'dup said:

He was a fucking "Cowboy Back" at OSU, which is a hybrid TE/FB in Gundy's offense. I don't know where the announcers got that he was a WR in college, but they have said it multiple times, on different networks too. Whoever did that research is a moron. His pass catching was consistent with a tight end, mostly over the middle. 

I don't break down film or anything, but I'm surprised to hear that he's not a great blocker. He was a good blocker at OSU, but the size and speed differences are definitely part of playing in the NFL. I'd like to see him be a viable full time starter when Witten finally stays on the farm.

Edited by 'stache

34 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Is blocking in the NFL just a function of size?  Or can Jarwin be taught how to block? Because he looks like a pretty solid receiver to me. Jay Novacek comes to mind. He played tight end, didn't he? He was smaller than Jarwin as I recall.

That’s different. Novacek was a qb in college. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Is blocking in the NFL just a function of size?  Or can Jarwin be taught how to block? Because he looks like a pretty solid receiver to me. Jay Novacek comes to mind. He played tight end, didn't he? He was smaller than Jarwin as I recall.

Maybe I’m just naive to how incompetent this coaching staff really is, but I feel like at this point they’ve worked pretty extensively with Jarwin on his blocking. They can’t be that stupid. I know Witten is Witten, but they have to see the difference in athleticism, specifically when the ball is in his hands. He’s either THAT bad of a blocker, or this coaching staff is either dumber than I thought. Because I do understand not wanting him out there in situations that aren’t obvious passing downs if he’s that much of a liability as a blocker. 

Jarwin hasn't been a TE that long, so it's not surpriing if he's not the best blocker around. But I couldn't tell you whether he can block worth a crap or not as little as he is on the field I don't remember any blocks he made or missed. He sort of pops up at random. Blocking is certainly an aspect of the game one can greatly improve with coaching and experience.

A lot of really good receiving TEs over the years weren't particuarly good blockers, and they didn't even really play that much actual TE. They were more slot receivers and h-backs that run routes, maybe brush a guy here and there. That's a good role for Jarwin who can stretch the field and shows good catching ability. It is an asset that had been available to the Cowboys that they didn't see fit to use very much.

Edited by DougO

None of us know whether Jarwin can block or not.  We're all just basically repeating what guys like Bob Sturm say as an excuse for why Witten gets so much more time on the field over him.  It wouldn't be a surprise to find out that Jarwin suddenly became a sufficient enough blocker to stay on the field the moment Witten decides to retire for good.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

None of us know whether Jarwin can block or not.  We're all just basically repeating what guys like Bob Sturm say as an excuse for why Witten gets so much more time on the field over him.  It wouldn't be a surprise to find out that Jarwin suddenly became a sufficient enough blocker to stay on the field the moment Witten decides to retire for good.  

Ehh..... I think there may be some small kernel of truth to that, but just watch him.  He's just not a very physical blocker.  He's very inconsistent and certainly Schulz is a more willing blocker.  Doesn't mean he shouldn't be getting on the field more, simply it's the biggest challenge for him.  And just watch him is really all you have to do.  He's just not great at it, he's the best receiver of the bunch.

This is sort of him blocking a LB/DE:

or

And FWIW, there are other plays, particularly where he's matchedf up with defensive backs (like below), where he does a good job, but just not consistent enough.

Regardless of your opinion on is blocking skills, I still think we need to add another vet who is more physical at the POA and maybe has been underused in the passing game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hate said:

It's rarely a good idea to have a TE block a DE.  That's stupid offense no matter who the TE is.  The TE can provide a "chip" block to help a tackle out when necessary, but it's stupid to have TE block a DE one on one.

#21 for the Giants isnt a DE. A safety I believe. It's Landon Collins if the clip is from before this season. Your TE has to be able to stone a safety on the line no matter who it is. 

Edited by Junior Miller

So this afternoon, the Giants lead the Eagles going into the fourth quarter, but then realize that all they are really playing for is draft position. Cowboy hearts sink on the sidelines as they watch the Eagles win the division. Garrett's fate will be sealed. By Monday noon he will be history, and a new era will begin in Dallas. We're going to have a really good coach for the first time in about twenty years or so.

5 hours ago, Tommy Shelby said:

Does anyone know how a loss to the Redskins affects the draft stock? Should I be rooting for a loss?... well at least for other reasons than to get rid of Garrett

I think by winning they're picking around 16 or 17 and if they had lost they'd be somewhere around 14 or 15. Somewhere around there. 

of course it's fitting that in his last game as Cowboys coach with virtually nothing to play for since the Eagles ran out the Giants his team would play great and win to finish 8-8. 

On 12/29/2019 at 4:57 AM, Irish Wrist Watch said:

So this afternoon, the Giants lead the Eagles going into the fourth quarter, but then realize that all they are really playing for is draft position. Cowboy hearts sink on the sidelines as they watch the Eagles win the division. Garrett's fate will be sealed. By Monday noon he will be history, and a new era will begin in Dallas. We're going to have a really good coach for the first time in about twenty years or so.

Why would you think this? 

On 12/24/2019 at 9:27 AM, youdunnf'dup said:

The Bears oline has almost the same pass rush win rate this season as the Cowboys.  The fact of the matter is that the Cowboys offense was one of the best in the league because of Dak Prescott.  Notice how that blue line down there is above the red line?

spacer.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

The Bears oline has almost the same pass rush win rate this season as the Cowboys.  The fact of the matter is that the Cowboys offense was one of the best in the league because of Dak Prescott.  Notice how that blue line down there is above the red line?

spacer.png

Dallas has a huge coaching weakness understanding playing calling when the defense says

YOU WILL NOT RUN ON FIRST DOWN, Dallas coaches look at that run 8 of 10 first downs anyway.

3 hours ago, Viper said:

Why would you think this? 

Because this is Jerry Jones' last chance to get it right. He's got lots of money and he wants to relive the glory days. I don't think there's an OC in the league who would turn down a load of bucks to take Dallas to the SB and become a national icon.

Clappy proved that a moron who knows little more than when to call time out (for the most part) can reach the playoffs. What's missing is an offensive genius. We'll get one as our next HC. Loved watching the Niners last night,. They often had their QB under center and two running backs. Lots of deception - almost unstoppable. The road map is there, we just need a smart offensive mind. 

And Jerry Fucking Jones won't be firing this one after two consecutive SBs. He'll be in a rest home three years from now.

• Like 1