Dallas Cowboys 2019 Season Thread -- Aaaah Zeke Out?

Patrick Bateman

People keep talking about McClay and their drafting but the reality is they've been living off of the 2016 draft and extra cap space for free agents/trades because Dak was dirt cheap. Their last three drafts have been absolute garbage and now that they have to let the free agents like Quinn and Jones walk because Dak will suddenly become crazy expensive it's going to become glaring. This whole operation sucks and barring a couple of miracle drafts like 2016 I don't see how they don't slide downhill from here. 

I need a straight fucking answer why Amari and Cobb weren't in on the goddamn most important play of the goddamn season. If they were tired why didn't the goddamn head coach use one of his three goddamn timeouts.

I wish nothing but misery on Garrett. The piece of shit wasted so many careers here over the last 13 years it makes me sick to my stomach to even think about it. 

• Like 1

I've been reading post mortems of the game, and a common thread that comes up is this: "The Cowboys have assembled a great team, but now they need the coaching to go with it."

I don't believe that. It seems to me that's just lazy writing to a template equal parts Jerry's BS and the easy path to take for quick clicks on a Cowboy's article by people who don't know a lot about them. 

Now don't get me wrong. I've thought Garrett was a net drag on this team for years, and I won't be sorry to see him go. But it can't all be the coaching at this point. We've got holes on our roster, particularly on defense, and also some guys that got a rep from the Cowboy spin machine who aren't earning that rep on the field. I see a team that could be better than 7-8, but I honestly don't see a great team here. I've thought since the season started that our ceiling is pretty much the same as last year--dumping out in the divisional round.

Thoughts?   

Thoughts: 

In December teams reveal who/what they are. Our problems run deeper than Garrett. He needs to go. That’s clear. He stinks. But this loss today is not all on Garrett. Too much stuff can be laid at Jerruh’s feet here. 
I will be thrilled to see Garrett go. He can’t get it done. Has not gotten it done. He’s had a decade with Jerruh’s backing to get it done. 
once Garrett is gone we still have glaring issues. Staff needs to be gone. Overhaul.ST is a disaster. Cooper ain’t worth the paycheck he wants. Somebody is gonna have to get the best out of Zeke Bc he’s been paid. Gonna have to franchise tag Dak I think. The Oline is getting old. We don’t have cap space. Firing Garrett is a necessary thing. It’s gotta happen and is long overdue but man it won’t fix everything. 

8 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Somebody is gonna have to get the best out of Zeke Bc he’s been paid. 

See this illustrates exactly why this isn't a well constructed team. A disproportionate amount of the team's resources are allocated to the offense starting with a ridiculous market shattering contract for the most fungible position in football. $50MM guaranteed for 1,200 yards and 4.4 ypc...where can you find production like that? In the 7th round.

23 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Cooper ain’t worth the paycheck he wants. 

While I applaud not succumbing to the sunk cost fallacy like the Cowboys front office and their dipshit fans (including many on this thread), I wouldn't let Cooper get away. He's physically not right the last three games and this passing offense goes nowhere without him.

4 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

Jerry left the whole fucking team on the tarmac

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2868183-cowboys-team-plane-deemed-not-viable-to-fly-back-to-dallas-after-eagles-loss

Cowboys Team Plane Deemed 'Not Viable' to Fly Back to Dallas After Eagles Loss

I thought Jerry had his own team plane?

Three hours on the bus. Now that's fucking funny! Your well-earned reward. LOL

17 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Ah it's cool. We've got a great stadium with one of a kind artwork and a bar that players walk by on their way out to the field to lose another game that could lock up the division almost every year. 

Exactly, but I keep waiting for my Cowboy fan dividend check in the mail.  I'm hoping that I get it by Christmas. 

On a serious note...Hey Jerry, what would you do to a GM that only had 4 playoff wins in 25 years?  Either die or step back and let some actual real football people take over.  I know this isn't going to happen so I don't know why I bother.  I never even really got mad at any time yesterday because I knew that was coming.  That's what he last 25 years have done. 

59 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

actually, history says that would lead to almost immediate termination.

Yep, I've said this to some of my buddies.  If you really really want Garrett gone you need to hope that Jerry's JW Blue fueled crackpipe hitting stupid ass fantasy of some magical run to a SB championship comes true.  Jerry could finally get the credit, be free to dump Jason post haste and maybe just maybe then turn it all back over to a football guy.

This is basically the only hope for the future, Ginger or no.  We need to fall ass backwards into a championship so Jerry will leave the team the fuck alone.  What a fucking plan.

Edited by Surly Bevo

I have absolutely no faith that JJ will ever take a step back.  If they somehow stumbled into a championship, JJ would see it as validation that he was right and only make his ego bigger.  The only way he ever takes a step back is to die.  That's it.  It is our only hope as Cowboys fan is that JJ dies sooner rather than later. The only other very slight possibility is that if the fans got their act together and boycotted the games.  They shouldn't but any tickets or any Cowboys merchandise until JJ fires himself. 

Edited by Hate

Contracts handed out last offseason:

Zeke- terrible. You dont give running backs in 2019 mega deals

Jaylon Smith- looking real bad. Opposing offenses constantly game planned around Jaylons weaknesses.

D law- meh? Hes obviously a positive force on defense but I'm not sure hes a true superstar.

Throw in the draft- Trysten Hill, injured LVE, injured Connor Williams, Chido, and Taco and you've taken some huge swings and misses lately.

We can blame the coaches all day, but yesterday was 100% on Dak. People will cry “how did we only run the ball 15 times.” They stacked the box and basically dared Dak to beat us yesterday, and the plays were there to be made. He just didn’t make them. He isn’t accurate. He can be accurate, but right now he just isn’t consistent with his accuracy. At all. They’ll say “but his shoulder”, and i call bullshit on that. 

I’ve been a Dak believer, but you can’t pay this guy 35mil a year. That’s just insane at this point. In a lot of ways, Dak is prime Andy Dalton. A guy that is just good enough to fall into that middle tier of starting QBs, but ultimately not a difference maker by any means. You pay Dak 35 mil, and you have to bank on this organization piecing it together around him...when he isn’t capable of carrying this thing. 

As for alternatives, who cares. I get that it’s a slippery slope, and you don’t want to move on from a guy that’s shown promise, but after a certain point you have to ask yourself. It this guy isn’t willing to take a “discount” is he really worth paying top dollar? Fuck no. Someone will think they’re a qb away from winning a super bowl and they’ll pay him the same way Kirk cousins got paid. But then they’ll realize quickly that it’s hard to teach accuracy. He’s a solid leader (I think. Who the fuck really knows, actually), but he isn’t a 35 million dollar qb. And if Wentz is 32 mil, he isn’t that either. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

We can blame the coaches all day, but yesterday was 100% on Dak. People will cry “how did we only run the ball 15 times.” They stacked the box and basically dared Dak to beat us yesterday, and the plays were there to be made. He just didn’t make them. He isn’t accurate. He can be accurate, but right now he just isn’t consistent with his accuracy. At all. They’ll say “but his shoulder”, and i call bullshit on that. 

This is just wrong.

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

This is just wrong.

spacer.png

Huh? He says yesterday was about Prescott and you cite season stats to disprove him?

You're funny. I mean you want to be smart and so you cite analytics and numbers all over the place, your problem is that you don't understand what you're citing. Basically ever.

I will say the obvious: Dak was/is an idiot for not signing a deal before the season started. He left $100 million guaranteed on the table and now has worse leverage than when he started. Dude would be staring down a franchise tag at any decently-run organization but we'll probably pony up like idiots. 

Is anyone really surprised at yesterday's outcome?  Jason is Mr. Mediocre.  He's pretty much been that way for 10 years.  Jerry has just kept him around since he can tell him what to do.  No coach with any integrity would allow himself to coach under these conditions.  Nothing will change as long as Jerry is calling the shots.

8 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

This is just wrong.

spacer.png

Your image isn’t loading for me for some reason, but go look at Andy Dalton’s prime years. He could put up stats with the best of them. He had one of the best wrs in the league at the time, but he was an above average qb. You don’t pay slightly above average qbs top dollar. I don’t care what other teams have done. I’m not paying a guy 35mil with the hope that maybe one day he develops into that type of qb. Fuck that. Either he has it when you pay him, or he doesn’t. And Dak doesn’t have it yet. I’m not saying he won’t ever get there. He might. But that’s a crazy gamble to take. Accept your fucking discount, or let him test the open market. We really should probably franchise Cooper instead of Dak. You kinda put yourself in that position when you traded a first round pick for him. I would offer Dak a reasonable team friendly contract, and if he doesn’t take it, let him test the market. Straight up.

7 minutes ago, Big Frog II said:

Is anyone really surprised at yesterday's outcome?  Jason is Mr. Mediocre.  He's pretty much been that way for 10 years.  Jerry has just kept him around since he can tell him what to do.  No coach with any integrity would allow himself to coach under these conditions.  Nothing will change as long as Jerry is calling the shots.

If Dak simply played better yesterday, we probably score 27 points and win the game. If you want to blame the coaches for not practicing him all week, then fine. But I call bullshit on that. Dude just isn’t that accurate on a consistent basis, and it reared it’s ugly head yesterday when a team who is good at stopping the run dared Dak to beat them. Hell, I bet Jason Garrett and Jon Kitna make some of those throws yesterday. It’s been a trend for about a month and a half now, but really, it’s been a trend for longer than that. Dak used to get a pass because he was a “winner” and made “winning plays”. But the thing is, that isn’t exactly a repeatable thing if you aren’t...you know..accurate.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

Honestly, unless you are truly going to make a run, which are not, why go 8-8 and lose in the first round and end up with a 21st overall pic? If you are not going to make a run, is it not better to essentially lose out and secure a top 10 pic? Also, firing redhead is more important than the previously mentioned outcome. Win 7 games, get a good pic, fire coach G sounds like a the best option to me. 

20 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Huh? He says yesterday was about Prescott and you cite season stats to disprove him?

You're funny. I mean you want to be smart and so you cite analytics and numbers all over the place, your problem is that you don't understand what you're citing. Basically ever.

The fact that Prescott has an above average CPOE for the season is consistent with his assertion that Prescott "isn't accurate"?  lmao.  Dingleberry.

Edited by Fozzz

Dingleberry: this poster, calling Dak an inaccurate passer and passing judgment on Dak's worth as an NFL QB, is clearly only making the banal statement that Dak performed poorly in one particular game, something that every QB in the league does multiple times a season.

This season we are 1-6 when we have Dak attempt more than 40 passes. He completed 25 out of 44 yesterday. His accuracy is an issue. He’s better when he’s mobile. We seem to not understand this. When he wasn’t missing players they were dropping passes. The Cowboys have 34 drops this year. Pats have 33. Eagles have32. 

this is the fourth time in JGs coaching tenure we’ve lost a division clinching game in December.

we have beaten only one winning team this season. The Rams.

wehave a winning record when we give Zeke 20 or more carries. He carried the ball 13 times yesterday. And had 7 receptions.

Our players don’t have spirit or heart or drive and do what they want Bc JJ monkeys with the team. They don’t respect whomever is at HC because they don’t have to.

JJ will just let his boys contract expire assuming we don’t back into the postseason instead of firing a $30 plus million dollar fucking mistake for a decade.

Both JJ andJG wasted HOF players primes. A list is all over internet of those names. 12 names. Primes wasted! 

fuck Jerruh! And see ya Jason! Bye you fraud! 

Dak had a bad game. It happens. The injury is relevant. His "inconsistencies" can, in fact, be addressed through coaching. And playcalling in general is just atrocious. Romo was accurate as hell, and we were an 8-8 team for most of his tenure, all of which (except his first partial season under Parcells) involved Garrett as an OC or HC. Dak is not the problem with this team. A good coaching staff can maximize his potential. Playcalling that is not completely predictable would be a start.

Edited by 'stache

7 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Dingleberry: this poster, calling Dak an inaccurate passer and passing judgment on Dak's worth as an NFL QB, is clearly only making the banal statement that Dak performed poorly in one particular game, something that every QB in the league does multiple times a season.

This isn’t about one game. Dak isn’t an accurate thrower of the football. We gave him a pass because he won games, but the reality is, he’s looked like shit for about a month and a half now, and he’s never been particularly accurate. Because of the drop off with Zeke and the oline, more was put on Dak’s shoulders this year. He has nice stats, but they’re empty stats. This dude can’t carry a team at this stage in his career (and I’m not talking for a whole season. I’m talking like a few games here and there). You don’t pay 35 mil to a qb that can’t do that. I don’t give a fuck what the Vikings and the rams did. You don’t make that same mistake. You offer Dak 25-30 mil and if he says no, you tell him to test the market and you accept it if he finds something better. But you don’t just pay him 35 mil. He isn’t that kind of qb at this stage in his career, and I’m not taking that kind of gamble on hoping he improves his accuracy. And don’t give me completion percentage numbers. That isn’t the true test for how accurate a guy is. You can see it with your eyes.

And just to make my position clear. I’m not futureman. I don’t think Dak is a bad qb. He just isn’t remotely close to a 35 mil a year qb. He’s the type of qb you sign if you’re legitimately a qb away from being a championship contender. Not a qb that can carry a roster for a stretch of games.

Edited by youdunnf'dup

Never said he wasn’t better than Goff. But the rams are dumb for giving him that contract. You don’t make that mistake just because another team did. Because he would become one of the problems if he’s making 35 mil a year and playing like he did for the majority of this year against teams that aren’t picking in the top 5. He’s an above average qb. Don’t pay him like he can carry this team. That’s ridiculous IMO. Say what you want about this organization and this roster, most qbs don’t have a top 5 oline, top 5 rb, and a top 10 wr. He has a lot to work with. More than MOST qbs. You can’t maintain that type of roster when you pay him 35 mil a year 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

As Doug Pederson made adjustment after adjustment and worked to give the injured Eagles a fighting chance on Sunday, Jason Garrett sat back and watched the Cowboys’ season essentially slip away.”

Teams ultimately need coaches who understand the best possible ways to use their players, even when their original approach goes awry. The Eagles have one. The Cowboys do not. And that’s why, in a season when everything went wrong for the Eagles, they’ll likely be hosting a playoff game while the Cowboys will be sitting at home and wondering what could have been.“

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nfl/2019/12/23/21035315/eagles-cowboys-nfc-east-doug-pederson-jason-garrett-coaching

yep yep yep. 

30 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I agree with everything you just said. I’ll add that his receivers bailed him out of a lot of bad throws. Particularly Cobb, Cooper (earlier in the season), and Witten last week with that one handed grab.  Unless he has a guy wide open, he is not consistent enough to not throw behind a guy way too often. 

Really?  In spite of Dak having an above average completion percentage over expectation, the Cowboys are near the top of the league in drops. 

lmao and this has been Dak's top target this season

Edited by Fozzz

Cooper is an enigma. The talent is clearly there. When he’s on, he’s an elite deep threat, an elite elite runner, and he’s clearly a top 10 wr. When he’s on. But he can disappear unlike any top flight wr I’ve ever seen, and his drops are 100% related to how confident he is at the time. The same can be said about a lot of guys, but that’s clearly why he fell out of favor in Oakland. He has no reason to lack confidence. If anything, he should have unwavering overconfidence. But you never know what’s going on inside a person’s head. 

Jones will never hire a coach and give him full autonomy over control of the players again because if he did and that coach actually won a title then it would cement with zero room for doubt that the last 24 years of futility was all Jerry Jones his fault. There's no way he would ever risk that happening. 

Edited by Junior Miller

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

They pissed away the Romo years and they’re pissing away the dak / zeke years

Have done. With contracts and such, this team gets less talented going forward so unless the new coach is a miracle worker using what he is given and what he can acquire cheaply, the window is over barring a huge salary cap increase. 
how much money is in zeke, tyron, Collins, Martin, jaylon, Lawrence going forward?

is lve dead money?

dak and coop to get paid?

6 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Jones will never hire a coach and give him full autonomy over control of the players again because if he did and that coach actually won a title then it would cement with zero room for doubt that the last 24 years of futility was all Jerry Jones his fault. There's no way he would ever risk that happening. 

Call me naive, but I bet the next hire isn’t a puppet and has more control. He knows the clock is ticking on his life. His puppet experiment failed. I don’t think he’s going to hire someone that’s going to talk to him any type of way, but I bet they aren’t a puppet. Or I hope they aren’t.

A guy can dream, right?

Being a puppet isn't the main issue it's giving the coach full autonomy over disciplining his own roster. Zeke looked like absolute dogshit all but one or two games this season but Garrett doesn't have the power to bench him. Same with Jaylon Smith. All of that comes from Jones and the players know it. No coach will ever be able to win under those circumstances because they can't control their own room. 

Jones won't hire a coach and give him that authority ever again. The first time he did it the coach built a 3 title team. If he does it again now and they win the title he'd have to face the fact he's the sole problem over the last 24 years. Cognitive dissonance won't allow him to take that chance. 

People itt bitch about paying Dak, but in terms of resource allocation, Elliott's contract extension should really be what Cowboys fans are complaining about.  How do you spend that much money on a RB in 2019?  Having the highest paid RB in the NFL is a glaring sign that your franchise is being mismanaged.  

1 minute ago, Fozzz said:

People itt bitch about paying Dak, but in terms of resource allocation, Elliott's contract extension should really be what Cowboys fans are complaining about.  How do you spend that much money on a RB in 2019?  Having the highest paid RB in the NFL is a glaring sign that your franchise is being mismanaged.  

I agree, but we’re here now. You can’t put the toothpaste back in the tube. It’s done. And I don’t fault Zeke for approaching it the way he did because he would’ve never gotten paid if he didn’t. We would’ve ran him into the ground and tossed him to the side. 

The thing is, we haven’t paid Dak yet and we can’t let him strong arm us into top 5 money (even if the goal post moves every year). He hasn’t proven he can be that type of guy yet. We paid Zeke because we thought we had a championship roster. We dont. A new coach can probably come in and get more out of the roster (that’s a big maybe, btw) but it isn’t the same type of situation IMO. We got fooled last year by winning a ton of really close games. That isn’t repeatable on a year to year basis. This roster still has a long way to go before it’s truly championship caliber, and paying Dak top 5 money really puts you in a bind in terms of building that roster.

22 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

This is my hope. Someone that has the politeness publicly of Garrett, to appease Jerry’s ego, but also one that could go into his office and say, “Jerry, I know you’ve gotta have your press conferences after the game. I knew it coming into taking this job - this is your team and you’ve gotta let the world know that at every opportunity.  But we are having open tryouts for kicker next week and I have every intention of cutting Maher. You need to stop answering those personnel questions, and defer the media to me.”

Garrett was incapable of doing that and it undermined him greatly. There’s a way to do it with a guy with a giant ego, and Garrett was too passive. He also can’t really coach as aggressively as you need to in today’s NFL. 

No, you need a master bullshit artist. Someone who can walk into Jerry's office, discuss the kicking situation, and leave with Jerry thinking it was his idea to have open tryouts and cut Maher. Any coach should know by now that everyone understands Jerry sucks, and that if that coach wins it was in spite of Jerry. The right coach can appease Jerry's ego while exercising his own ego with several winks and nods to everyone on the outside. 

34 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

He did it once but only once. If he doesn’t do it again, nothing is going to change unless they catch absolute lightning in a bottle. Even then it’d be a one year deal. Had Parcells stayed, they would’ve had some chances. 

Several years back Jones was caught on camera at a bar saying the only reason he hired Parcells was to drum up enough interest and support in the fan base to dupe a metroplex city into paying for his new stadium for him. After he got the funding from Arlington and when he saw Parcells was turning a garbage roster into a title contender what did he do? Forced that piece of shit TO on him in a power play to send the message to Parcells that he's in charge and will do what he wants. Then Parcells says fuck you and quits abruptly leading to the next 12 years of Jason Garrett garbage. 

He doesn't need to fund a new stadium right now. He isn't making a hire like that again. Will never happen. 

• Like 1