Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

IT update on Jamel Johnson

Spoiler

Johnson confirmed that he will be making a decision this upcoming week and will likely be filming a commitment video this weekend.

As I reported last Sunday, Jamel has narrowed down his schools to a final four of Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma, and LSU.

My gut feeling here is still the same as Sunday. Texas is in the driver’s seat and Jeff Banks along with Terry Joseph’s hard work could be rewarded with an early commitment.

We’ll have more recruiting updates/news/nuggets throughout the weekend, T-10 hours until kickoff in Waco.

I really don’t think this year’s record will have an impact on Arch. I bet he is looking for a college experience and a coach he can relate to. Football becomes a job in the NFL and his uncles sure enjoyed their college experience. I bet we get Arch and that won’t change after we lose next week too

1 hour ago, alphahorn said:

I really don’t think this year’s record will have an impact on Arch. I bet he is looking for a college experience and a coach he can relate to. Football becomes a job in the NFL and his uncles sure enjoyed their college experience. I bet we get Arch and that won’t change after we lose next week too

Agreed. A number of these kids are looking for an opportunity to get on the field early if they work hard. And as you said, there are other factors as well. This year should not hurt us and he knows that wherever he commits, a number of great kids will follow. 

1 hour ago, alphahorn said:

He may have looked at some of Casey’s misses and thought “I’d hit that”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, alphahorn said:

Yep. How we close out this recruiting class and especially how we address clear needs in the portal are going to be more important for landing Arch than however these remaining games play out. Same thing with how Sark handles coaching staff changes this winter. They will want to see evidence that Sark is making the necessary changes to make us more competitive but I don't think they give two rat fucks about how we are currently playing.

The exception of course being if we just absolutely shit the bed, lose 3 of the next 4, and become such a dumpster fire that no one will want to transfer or sign here. But even then it would be more about the future looking bleak than having anything to do with us collapsing week after week against top 15 teams. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/31/2021 at 9:33 AM, LonghornLurker said:

Well, I’m guessing the Arch dream is dead…

No, the mannings dont give a shit about individual games. at this point Sark has to sell the fact that Casey is complete ass and we are still scoring by the grace of god and that Arch is the missing piece....Good luck with that narritive while missing a bowl game

18 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

No, the mannings dont give a shit about individual games. at this point Sark has to sell the fact that Casey is complete ass and we are still scoring by the grace of god and that Arch is the missing piece....Good luck with that narritive while missing a bowl game

i mean, it isn't that hard to sell...

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

They also know that they would realize the recruiting potential that everybody thought Ewers had and then some. OL, RB, and WR would line up to play with tomorrow. 

FWIW while perusing tiger droppings I saw that one of their insiders confirmed he is all Texas still

28 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

They also know that they would realize the recruiting potential that everybody thought Ewers had and then some. OL, RB, and WR would line up to play with tomorrow. 

FWIW while perusing tiger droppings I saw that one of their insiders confirmed he is all Texas still

Not so sure about Ewers recruiting abilities.  

For every off target pass Casey throws, there is another thrown well and the reciever cant make the catch. He's been better than at least 2 starting Big12 QB's we've faced this year...and I'd throw Rattler in as a 3rd tbh. Casey isnt the type of QB who is going to play lights out and win against competent defense...but he also isnt ass my dude.

As for what the Mannings are thinking, (pretty sure Arch himself will make the final decision) it's all speculation unless theyre actually talking to people about it and giving clues..I dont think they are.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, RGBIII said:

All Arch and family have to do is watch the games to see the wide open receivers that either don’t get a catchable ball or are not even thrown to at all.  I think they will see enough of those to realize Arch can probably do quite well here as long as he gets busy getting some quality oline to join him.  

16 minutes ago, stork642 said:

All Arch and family have to do is watch the games to see the wide open receivers that either don’t get a catchable ball or are not even thrown to at all.  I think they will see enough of those to realize Arch can probably do quite well here as long as he gets busy getting some quality oline to join him.  

We just need some creative NIL incentives for him.  

$100k, or whatever the going rate is,  for every 5 star OT,  WR and on down the roster that he brings in.  

Do that with every QB we recruit in the future and recruiting becomes  better. 

7 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Arch will be missing several pieces if he spends 3-4 years behind an OL like this.

10 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I'm assuming he'll be able attract at least 2-3 top OL with him no matter where he goes (granted every other destination he's looking at doesn't have this urgent a need, but still)

Counterpoint - why the fuck would he sign up for this shit show and be the one forced to recruit all the good OL to UT?

Posted by someone on 247 with the title Mike Farrell is Hearing..

That Texas is leading for Arch Manning. He says he is hearing he is no way going to Ol' Miss. I just heard this on Sirius/XM Fullride. Also said there's legs to Ewers rumors, Might be ready to come home.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1