Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

14 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

No joke, Perroni said they got a flat tire on the way and didn’t make it in.

So is flat tire a code word in the recruiting world?  I mean I understand high school kids having less than reliable transportation  I know my car in in high was a major pos but this happens so often I can’t help but wonder is it code for the check didn’t clear.  It seems to happen to Aggie more so is it just a way for the recruits to save face with the coach who recruiting them?

43 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Are they still on the side of the road?

I half expected Perroni to write a fan fiction about the nicest fanbase in the world stopping to help innocent bystanders on the side of the road who just so happened to be 5 star Rueben Owens and family.

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Has this account been confirmed as a Satya sock?

I'm more positive than most when it comes to the staff/team, just sick of Aggy cheating their ass off to take recruits from under our nose

1 hour ago, stork642 said:

So is flat tire a code word in the recruiting world?  I mean I understand high school kids having less than reliable transportation  I know my car in in high was a major pos but this happens so often I can’t help but wonder is it code for the check didn’t clear.  It seems to happen to Aggie more so is it just a way for the recruits to save face with the coach who recruiting them?

For real. Maybe Aggy should start handing out tires for visits instead of cash.

The Owens thing yesterday is pretty odd. Took a detour to Austin way out of the way from El Campo to CS, then posted on social media that he was in town, then went out of his way to make it clear that he wasn't visiting UT, then didn't make it to CS after all. 

3 hours ago, stork642 said:

I'm sure it's been a running joke for awhile but it actually happened. Iirc to Toneil Carter and of course it was to/in aggyworld. 

30 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

I'm sure it's been a running joke for awhile but it actually happened. Iirc to Toneil Carter and of course it was to/in aggyworld. 

It was a DB that ended up signing with Bama, I think.  Jeffrey Carter from Mansfield.

Edited by cafe society
  • Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

No joke, Perroni said they got a flat tire on the way and didn’t make it in.

who was the guy a couple of years ago who said they kept having car issues and never could make it to A&M? like said they were going then the morning of said they had a breakdown, or ran out of gas, or their ride flaked every time they were supposed to be there?

On 10/24/2021 at 5:44 AM, mr. sunshine said:

So from El Campo to Austin to College Station. Who planned this trip? The Donner party?

i didn't realize how hilarious of a detour going to Austin actually is in this scenario

straight shot:

image.png.b4a4aeb75c24c436a567ab7bc7dd3767.png

detour through Austin:

image.png.2c4214e15d3c97cfd7ddb7b9c5e4f14a.png

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NoName said:

i didn't realize how hilarious of a detour going to Austin actually is in this scenario

straight shot:

image.png.b4a4aeb75c24c436a567ab7bc7dd3767.png

detour through Austin:

image.png.2c4214e15d3c97cfd7ddb7b9c5e4f14a.png

"Here's a song I wrote in a car between El Campo and Austin......

.....goin' to College Station...

......Woooops"

Edited by MirrOlure
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Chad Simmons/On3

About a month ago, Orlando (Fla.) Dr. Phillips offensive lineman Payton Kirkland trimmed his to a dozen schools. The 6-foot-5, 320-pound junior reports over 50 offers, so he cut it down to a more manageable number.

That number still holds, for now, as he goes through his junior year. He is out taking visits, he speaks with coaches daily, and Kirkland is taking it all in stride.

“It is a lot, and I hear from different schools every day, but it is cool,” Kirkland said. “Since September 1, it has been a lot, because schools can now contact me, but I have gotten used to it.

“It has been a good way for me to get to know coaches more, see what they are about, and things like that. The communication with coaches has been a lot, and that will help me.”

Whatever coach that wants to sign Kirkland in December 2022 will have to communicate heavily with him. The consistency will be a key for the Sunshine State offensive lineman as he moves through the recruiting process.

“Consistency is really big for me. All schools in my top 12 communicate really well with me right now.

“That is going to be very important to me. I am looking at who wants me, where I feel most wanted, and the right fit.

“After the relationships and feeling wanted, I am looking into engineering programs and the football side of things.”

Kirkland has no plan in place to cut his list again and he has not thought about a commitment timeline.

A trio of schools starting to stand out to Kirkland?

Kirkland made it clear that he is still open to all 12 schools, but he has attended a game at Florida this season and the Gators impressed.

The in-state school, along with Ohio State and Texas have positioned themselves nicely to be in this race in the months ahead.

“I am open for sure, and nothing has changed with my list, but Florida, Ohio State, and Texas are schools I really like,” Kirkland said.

Kirkland was at the Swamp for the Alabama game

The Gators played the Crimson Tide tough and Kirkland liked what he saw, and how the local school is recruiting him.

“That Alabama game was crazy. It was a lot of head-knocking and excitement. The team played well and I was shown a lot of love.

“I talked with coach Dan Mullen, coach John Hevesy (offensive line), and the rest of the staff. I loved the energy, how the coaches singled me out, and the attention they showed me.

“This was my first real visit to Florida and they made a great impression.”

Kirkland is expected back in Gainesville in the coming months.

Ohio State had Kirkland on campus for three days

Over the summer, Kirkland spent three days at Ohio State. That trip to Columbus has him wanting to go back.

“I saw the campus and facilities, I sat in on meetings, I was at the Buckeye Bash, and it was all great.

“While there, I got to hang out with CJ Hicks (2022 Ohio State commitment), Luke Montgomery, Richard Young, and some others. It was a lot of fun to be around them the Ohio State coaches, and I want to visit again.

“I got to see the coaches work, I saw how other players worked and competed, and I feel like Ohio State is a place I could call home.

“It is a real family environment and I like that. The coaches incorporate family into a lot of what they do, and that really stood out.”

Kirkland said he talks with head coach Ryan Day and offensive line coach Greg Studrawa almost daily. He is in contact with his recruiting coach, Tony Alford, his recruiting coach, often, as well.

Kirkland would like to attend a game at Ohio State.

Texas is a school Kirkland hopes to visit soon

There has not been a trip to Austin yet, but that is likely to happen if not this season, then early in 2022 for a Junior Day.

“Texas is a school I really want to visit,” Kirkland said. “I talk with (Kyle) Flood (offensive line) the most. We talk every day. I talk to coach Sark (Steve Sarkisian) a little too, and I like both a lot.

“With Texas, a lot stands out to me. They have the best offensive line coach in college football and one of the best offensive minds in college football. I know they are going to do big things.

“I have watched them a lot and I see great game-planning and some dominant offensive line play this season. Now I just want to visit and see what it’s like.”

Other than Florida, Ohio State, and Texas, the schools that round out Kirkland’s top 12 are Clemson, Illinois, Michigan State, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Oregon, Penn State, Texas A&M, and UCF.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Bama's 2022 QB commit is Ty Simpson.  Well thought of.

Weird to say it but I think this would be good news tbh. Just wondering if they actually said it or if the poster is making shit up

Edited by Tex-19
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Someone posted this on 247 yesterday regarding Arch. Did IT actually say this recently? Interesting if so.

A source told Inside Texas Bama has taken over as the number 2 over UGA with Texas at the top still

Hopefully we can finish this recruitment better than our games. 

On 10/23/2021 at 2:05 PM, Big Woodrows said:

Two more CBs (plus the earlier one from Wiltfong) for Jamel Johnson. Should be committing tomorrow or Monday.

https://247sports.com/player/jamel-johnson-46098248/

Whatever happened with this guy? Looks like we got a bunch of CB’s for him, but no public commitment. Is that still imminent?