Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

I think Sark could be a really good coach here. But reading the football board and all their “it’s not the coaches, it’s the players. We have no talent” defenses is a beating. I believe every scholarship player on the roster was part of a top 10, if not top 20 recruiting class. They’re not a bunch of JV B team scrubs. 

paging @That Guy, he broke it all down about how fucking random Herman’s recruiting was over 4 years. It was so regarded that if you look at two deeps the players are built for different schemes across the depth chart. It’s littered across 4 years with just chasing stars and almost no rhyme or reason to the signing classes. If you take Bijan and overshown off this team we are Kansas. Think about rojo being our signature back…our offense would be division 2 bad without Bijan. 

• Hook 'Em 1

For the “seven win Steve crowd”, do any of you fuckers throw that ball that Casey got pick sixed? Sark already pulled card for Thompson. He can’t fuckin try it again lol. Casey was clearly rattled and is not a very dynamic qb when the pocket breaks down. He took a fucking beating, some his fault and some the OL’a fault. When you have a 3 step drop with 8 fuckin people in the box and get hit before or have pressure before your 3rd step…no offense will work. You mother fuckers are crazy. 

The talent excuse is fucking tired. it's pitiful. and it's wrong. If you are excusing that loss to that mediocre Ok State team as a Texas talent problem and not a coaching problem you are wrong. Further, it's clear you haven't actually watched OkState this year.  The talent disparity wasn't on the field, it wasn't on the line of scrimmage - it was in the headsets. This is not a good Oklahoma State football team. Excusing Sarkisian's performance, or worse placing the blame at the player's feet, is nonsense.  

Tulsa ::

Boise (check the bullshit fumble call (start at 1:54:37) - and the missed FG in this one) ::

Missouri State ::

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I mean, to be right don’t you have to take a position? What’s your position here, exactly? 

mine is “I’m not seeing comforting shut this far and I’m rapidly in Hope for the Best, prepare for the worst” mode. 

My position is to give Sark a year or two to get his players and then let's see what happens. If nothing changes, you are right. If the program takes off, I am. Off course, that's assuming that I live long enough.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

classic "we're texas" surly crowd calling an undefeated 8th ranked team mediocre

Yeah, OSU is actually pretty good. Were it not for Spencer Sanders holding them back they'd be really good. I know it's Gundy and all but I have a hard time seeing them not giving OU a hell of a game.

That doesn't excuse Texas's performance last weekend though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm willing to give Sark a pass on this season because the OL is putrid but it's on him to fix that shit in the off-season. Not sure how but he has to figure that out. And lol at calling someone with PK's resume a fraud. Don't think we have been outschemed this season. Players just aren't executing and more than half of them suck.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

I still have a difficult time not looking at the OL situation as the link that is causing the rest of the team to fail. The second half the past two weeks have been riddled with false starts, holding calls and inconsistent protection/blocking. This has led to short drives and skewed time of possession. The thing that gives me hope is we have played so damn well in the first half of games on defense that fatigue has to be one of the major factors (not looking deeply into halftime adjustments) and hoping that if we can find a way to sustain drives and get the defense off the field in the second half, the performance will improve. 

There’s a strong chance that I am a hopeless romantic with a propensity toward blind naivety, but I have to cope somehow.

That’s my hope as well, if the o-line could hold up even a little, we could win a lot of 42-31 type games. 

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

paging @That Guy, he broke it all down about how fucking random Herman’s recruiting was over 4 years. It was so regarded that if you look at two deeps the players are built for different schemes across the depth chart. It’s littered across 4 years with just chasing stars and almost no rhyme or reason to the signing classes. If you take Bijan and overshown off this team we are Kansas. Think about rojo being our signature back…our offense would be division 2 bad without Bijan. 

Bro you’re trying to tag @Thatguy. I’m @That Guy. I have zero football insights. I’m just here for the gang bangs. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, golfclap said:

The talent excuse is fucking tired. it's pitiful. and it's wrong. If you are excusing that loss to that mediocre Ok State team as a Texas talent problem and not a coaching problem you are wrong. Further, it's clear you haven't actually watched OkState this year.  The talent disparity wasn't on the field, it wasn't on the line of scrimmage - it was in the headsets. This is not a good Oklahoma State football team. Excusing Sarkisian's performance, or worse placing the blame at the player's feet, is nonsense.  

Tulsa ::

Boise (check the bullshit fumble call (start at 1:54:37) - and the missed FG in this one) ::

Missouri State ::

Didn’t a few calls go against us in both the ou and osu game?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Yes coaching bears a part of the current problems occurring in games, but there are bunch of mental fuck-ups on this roster so it's not just coaching.    The current players are definitely part of the reason for the shit we are seeing on the field.

I'm not seeing a lot of heart or leadership from this current player group when things get tough in games -- probably too much PTSD from all the coaching changes over last several years.  HELL,  the OL is on their 4th coach in the last 4 or 5 years right ??    ( I think it's gone from Mattox> Warehime> Hand> Flood ??) 

Who on this team is a starter and leader that this team can really count on and follow??   It's not Casey.  It's not Kerstetter.  It's not Coburn, or Overshown, or Jamison or Foster.  It's not Brewer, or Wiley, or Whittington, or J.Moore.

Bijan and Worthy are the only two starting players performing great that can possibly  provide some leadership for this team.  Think about that -- a Soph RB who's nature is to be quiet and lead by example, and a true freshman WR are your best two players that are providing any leadership.

Part of the problem is definitely the players on this current roster -- it's not nonsense.  

Edit:  Cook and Ojomo have played well at times on defense, but don't bubble up as leaders based on their personalities.  Wish SARK would find a way to have RoJo on the field more because that dude has heart !!!

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Seen some posts on 247 says this kid is an aggy legacy.

Theres 2 kinds of aggy legacies. 

One buys into the cult and lets her son go to aggy and piss away his dreams of throwing in the Olympics. 

And the kind that lets their kid go out in public in burnt orange. The normal kind. 

Edited by NorLa Horns
Squirrel!

5 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

This is the one thing I can't square. I respect Chris Petersen's bullshit meter and eye for coaching talent. PK's track record is great, and I don't think the Big 12 offenses are that special anymore. It doesn't add up.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/how-pete-kwiatkowski-uws-evil-genius-coordinator-has-built-the-huskies-into-the-nations-no-1-defense/

If you can stomach a rewatch of the OU game, many of the big plays OU had came against a perfect defensive call and dog shit execution by one or two players. Jerrin Thompson shitting himself on the 4th and 1 when Williams took it 60+ to the house is one example that immediately comes to mind. Also, Overshown can’t take on and shed a block to save his life. He’s fucked us all year with that. Alfred Collins is a beast, but he hasn’t quite grasped the importance of squeezing the B gap, which is problematic against the run. Now, does the coach bear some (most) of the responsibility for coaching these issues out of players or replacing those players? Sure. But is it reasonable to expect all those issues to be coached out of a kid in one year? I guess it depends on the kid. Anyway, I don’t think PK became stupid over night, and the defense was far better last week (albeit against an inferior opponent) than the week before and didn’t cave until the offense failed to pick up a first down in the final six drives. I liked Chris Ash a lot because his schemes were simple and his players were fundamentally sound. I wish Sark had kept him just for the sake of consistency and familiarity. But if that wasn’t going to happen, I can’t think of many available DCs who would’ve been better hires. I suppose we could’ve tried to money-whip Vennables and we did try to money-whip Muschamp. I truly think PK will end up being a good hire once the kids get a better understanding of their jobs and we get players better suited for the roles they’re assigned. 
I guess I’ll duck…

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Chili dog said:

If you can stomach a rewatch of the OU game, many of the big plays OU had came against a perfect defensive call and dog shit execution by one or two players. Jerrin Thompson shitting himself on the 4th and 1 when Williams took it 60+ to the house is one example that immediately comes to mind. Also, Overshown can’t take on and shed a block to save his life. He’s fucked us all year with that. Alfred Collins is a beast, but he hasn’t quite grasped the importance of squeezing the B gap, which is problematic against the run. Now, does the coach bear some (most) of the responsibility for coaching these issues out of players or replacing those players? Sure. But is it reasonable to expect all those issues to be coached out of a kid in one year? I guess it depends on the kid. Anyway, I don’t think PK became stupid over night, and the defense was far better last week (albeit against an inferior opponent) than the week before and didn’t cave until the offense failed to pick up a first down in the final six drives. I liked Chris Ash a lot because his schemes were simple and his players were fundamentally sound. I wish Sark had kept him just for the sake of consistency and familiarity. But if that wasn’t going to happen, I can’t think of many available DCs who would’ve been better hires. I suppose we could’ve tried to money-whip Vennables and we did try to money-whip Muschamp. I truly think PK will end up being a good hire once the kids get a better understanding of their jobs and we get players better suited for the roles they’re assigned. 
I guess I’ll duck…

Uh, we attempted to money whip Muschsmp. He opted to go to his alma mater where his kid is playing instead. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Uh, we attempted to money whip Muschsmp. He opted to go to his alma mater where his kid is playing instead. 

His wife said no. He was coming until that happened. Hell we even hired Gideon for him and he backed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

For those that think we are this uber-talented team simply because we had a couple highly ranked recruiting classes let me remind them of who we really are. In 2018 we ranked 3rd in recruiting class. Sterns is gone. Green transferred. Foster has looked off in 3 different defenses now-miss. Overshown was recrutied as a safety but ended up being a 6'4 beanpole, so they moved him to play linebacker where he has upped his weight to 220lbs. Eagles is gone. Cook is finally looking like a player, and Joshua Moore, at 168lbs, still cannot defeat blocks quickly. We recruited 3 linemen in that class. 3 star Jones, Junior, and Reese who transferred. That left Junior and Jones.

2019's 3rd ranked class is much the same. Bru McCoy is on the West Coast with Jake Smith. J-Whitt was never a 5 star athletically, he was the physical strong guy in high school. Tyler Johnson and Hoofkin are the only O-line recruits in the class. We grabbed two juco tranfers. We grabbed some guys in 2020 for O-line but they were almost all undersized.

If you look at the defense we are fielding right now we have a 220lb LB in Overshown playing next to a walk on. A former receiver playing safety next to a guy who has looked mediocre in 3 defenses now. No difference makers across the D-line. Those dudes are now playing in the NFL. Two solid corners and a good nickel. Anyone who has come in to play hasn't looked any better.

On offense Card seems to have the tools but is maybe not ready for the spotlight. Casey is a Jag. Jones is a turnstile. Karic is not good and undersized. Majors is also undersized. Kerstetter is serviceable. Junior is solid. Running backs is all Bijan. RJ is a one cut and lower his shoulder guy. KR is fast but extremely small, can only really run speed stuff. TE we have blockers who aren't pass catchers and pass catchers who aren't blockers. No one can do both. Receivers, X can run away from anyone but that is only handy if you can block long enough for it. He cannot run routes. Moore is a skinny guy who lacks the physicality to shake a man quickly. J-Whitt is the physical guy who lacks speed. Other dudes are average to below average.

You guys can argue all you want about if we have talent or not but just follow who gets drafted. Our draft numbers have dwindled significantly. The NFL knows a thing or two about evaluations. Right now we have probably 2 NFL guys on offense and 3 or 4 defense on the roster. Oklahoma State does too. We are inferior to other schools on the O-line, which is a huge disadvantage, even if you are slightly superior at skill position.

Great post.  But why didn’t we go after any OL in the portal?

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Great post.  But why didn’t we go after any OL in the portal?

You keep bringing this up like the portal had a bunch of studs in there at OL. Who in the portal would you have liked them to take over our current guys that Texas had a chance at?  Might answer your own question.

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/TransferPortal/?positiongroupkey=4

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

You keep bringing this up like the portal had a bunch of studs in there at OL. Who in the portal would you have liked them to take over our current guys that Texas had a chance at?  Might answer your own question.

We're about to play one.  Baylor's starting Center, who grades out better than ours, portaled from Buffalo this year.

14 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

. If you take Bijan and overshown off this team we are Kansas.

this is one of the absolute dumbest things i've read ever

not that we are some sleeping giant based on who is on the team and their fits to the roster/scheme but fuck off with this Kansas bullshit based on this alone.

10429608.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off

a backfield of RoJo/K Robinson/Brooks isn't awesome but it's way better than KSU's Devin Neal and Torry Locklin.

Texas is better at basically every position, across the board, than Kansas.

using FEI for comparison:

Kansas: #125 overall, #109 offense, #126 Defense, #105 ST

Texas: #10 overall, #7 offense, #35 Defense, #16 ST

go post dumb shit like "If you take Bijan and overshown off this team we are Kansas" over on BON, but that shit is borderline too dumb for them even.

GIF by LoveIndieFilms

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 4

12 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

We're about to play one.  Baylor's starting Center, who grades out better than ours, portaled from Buffalo this year.

Hindsight 20/20 fully agree, but when he portaled he was a 2 star 1yr starter who looked good against MAC competition during covid year.  At the time would you have looked at Majors and Parr and thought Gall would be any better?

3 hours ago, Beef said:

His wife said no. He was coming until that happened. Hell we even hired Gideon for him and he backed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does his wife have against UT? Or just wanted him to take a break?

It does seem like we hired all those position coaches specifically for him. Not cool.

55 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Idk.  I’d guess a couple of those guys could make our two deep

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

She wanted for him to take a break. 

That's what I thought. Fair. At this rate, any chance Sark picks up the phone this offseason to see if he's rested and ready to go? Seems like he'd be ready to jump back in somewhere..

I often wonder if the mismatch in assistants is an underrated problem right now. None of these guys (minus Choate) have coached in a system like PK's before which is pretty unique.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Not to mention the coaches didn't know what they had yet. Impossible to truly know until you get into practices and even moreso live games. Now they know, we'll see what they do.

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

That's what I thought. Fair. At this rate, any chance Sark picks up the phone this offseason to see if he's rested and ready to go? Seems like he'd be ready to jump back in somewhere..

I often wonder if the mismatch in assistants is an underrated problem right now. None of these guys (minus Choate) have coached in a system like PK's before which is pretty unique.

We're not eating PK's contract this early. 

• Hook 'Em 2

His system is NOT that unique. We are playing very basic schemes right now. We do really well until late third and fourth quarter. Conditioning maybe? fuck if i know. but its not because of scheme. its execution and conditioning. and yeah, i know both of those are attributable to the staff as well. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Longhorn94 said:

His system is NOT that unique. We are playing very basic schemes right now. We do really well until late third and fourth quarter. Conditioning maybe? fuck if i know. but its not because of scheme. its execution and conditioning. and yeah, i know both of those are attributable to the staff as well. 

I don't think it's a coincidence that the defensive breakdowns have coincided with the offense shitting the bed.  They're getting basically no rest in between the offense 3 and outs.  Of course they're getting tired.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

We're not eating PK's contract this early. 

That sucks. Looks like we'd owe $3.4mm. So Muschamp will go somewhere else in the meantime after we hired all these assistants for him. Great.

If the D doesn't show improvement, I'd really hope someone ponies up and tells Sark he can make the move if Boom is in.