Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Just now, closetojumping said:

Can you walk us through the positive signs you're seeing? I mean, outside of spilling coffee all over my electronics in my office this morning and dreading a 2 hour meeting later today that I've been dreading for over two months, I'm having a super sweet day, but I could still use the entertainment.

well it's nice that he can call so many touchdown plays at the start of the game. The end of the game is another story

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Can you walk us through the positive signs you're seeing? I mean, outside of spilling coffee all over my electronics in my office this morning and dreading a 2 hour meeting later today that I've been dreading for over two months, I'm having a super sweet day, but I could still use the entertainment.

The offense is aesthetically pleasing and you can clearly see the vision. I love his aggressive nature of game management and I think we are giving our best players the ball. He generally gives me good vibes

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

ctj: "I'm just way above all of this and don't really care. I'm not mad at all. I'm actually laughing. I'm going to just wait patiently and quietly until this coach eventually fails and hope the new one is better. Not mad, though."

JgYJvEA.jpg

Yeah, none of that is true. I am resigned to the fact that there is going to be a new coach after Sarkisian fails, and knowing it is inevitable is depressing from a fan perspective, but I absolutely never said I don't give a shit. I care about this shit the same way everyone else does here, and I also put my money where my mouth is to boot. 

Look, groverat, we all know that you love all coaches mindlessly irrespective of performance and can't handle it when they come under legitimate criticism by the fanbase. You've always uncritically admired guys in the HC role at Texas because you've always been a title queen. We get it, but the rest of us can form our own opinions.

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, none of that is true. I am resigned to the fact that there is going to be a new coach after Sarkisian fails, and knowing it is inevitable is depressing from a fan perspective, but I absolutely never said I don't give a shit. I care about this shit the same way everyone else does here, and I also put my money where my mouth is to boot. 

Look, groverat, we all know that you love all coaches mindlessly irrespective of performance and can't handle it when they come under legitimate criticism by the fanbase. You've always uncritically admired guys in the HC role at Texas because you've always been a title queen. We get it, but the rest of us can form our own opinions.

Confirmed Sark pissed in your Cheerios 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Just making things up to be mad about.

Why are you continually filling your diaper in the recruiting board? Go to the whining threads in football.

• Haha 7

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Just making things up to be mad about.

Why are you continually filling your diaper in the recruiting board? Go to the whining threads in football.

Says the dipshit making things up and just now showing up on the recruiting board. 

I actually contribute to the recruiting board. You bring nothing to the table but your usual feigned devil's advocacy trolling. I'm sure they're missing you right this very instance in your home on this site, the Cloak Room. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Confirmed Sark pissed in your Cheerios 

No, he's just performing at a level below Tom Herman, in pretty much every facet outside of approachability and humility. I get that some of you guys just need to like and admire the head coach at Texas, but I'd prefer to reserve that sentiment until the guy does something. Anything.

Right now we're 4-5 and don't know it, heading towards playing KSU on Black Friday for a shot to go to a bowl game in a very Charlie Strong-esque season. If Texas is 8-3 heading into that game, you can mock me and I'll happily enjoy it.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

No, he's just performing at a level below Tom Herman, in pretty much every facet outside of approachability and humility. I get that some of you guys just need to like and admire the head coach at Texas, but I'd prefer to reserve that sentiment until the guy does something. Anything.

Right now we're 4-5 and don't know it, heading towards playing KSU on Black Friday for a shot to go to a bowl game in a very Charlie Strong-esque season. If Texas is 8-3 heading into that game, you can mock me and I'll happily enjoy it.

Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The 3 teams we have lost to this year would get beat by either of those maryland teams? They would beat kansas by 2 points, giving up 48 points? In 2018 we let ok state boat race us for 3 quarters only to not come all the way back and win lmao. Is that a better loss? At one point against baylor in 2019 we were losing 21-3 in the third quarter. How is any of this shit performing lower than Tom Herman? 

Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If I had more faith in the roster as it is currently constructed, id be sullen along with you. I don’t know that anyone is trying to stand on a soap box and proclaim Sark is the chosen one, but to write him off midway through season 1 is a bit rash.

Bring this to recruiting, I’ll lose a little bit of faith after I see the results of this recruiting class and the Arch situation play out. If the staff can still sell kids after the struggles of this season, it gives me hope that they have a vision for the future that is worth buying into. If they prove to not be able to close, we only keep getting further away from them being able to lean on the Bama pedigree.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

If I had more faith in the roster as it is currently constructed, id be sullen along with you. I don’t know that anyone is trying to stand on a soap box and proclaim Sark is the chosen one, but to write him off midway through season 1 is a bit rash.

This is CTJ's schtick that he's been doing for as long as I can remember following Texas football message boards, and more likely than not he'll be right because it's apparently really fucking hard to be a successful head coach at Texas. But CTJ won't be right because he has any kind of special insight into head football coaching skills or player talent, he just turns into a negative whiny bitch when we don't perform to his expectations.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Right now we're 4-5 and don't know it...

You have absolutely no way of knowing this and, by your own admission, your own predictive capabilities regarding our team have already failed this year. 

Regarding "feigned devil's advocacy trolling"... that's a string of words that doesn't make sense. But trying to figure out what you thought you were saying, I'm a fan of UT football. A "hey, go to the football board threads dedicated to whining about Sark to whine about Sark instead of doing it in recruiting threads" is a logical position for a UT football fan to have in a recruiting thread. There's an entire forum dedicated to pretending to know what is going to happen on the field. Go there and do the thing.

If Texas is 8-3 heading into that game, you can mock me and I'll happily enjoy it.

JgYJvEA.jpg

1 hour ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

I really like coach sark and I think he relates well with this generations athlete. An easy guy to root for. He just desperately needed to change the narrative year one and not lose to an Arkansas or not blow big leads ect. So he’s still got his work cut out but I’ve seen positive signs. Defense is such a letdown though.

1 hour ago, Barbacoa said:

Urban Meyer but the fact that its even a reasonable question shows what a pied piper Arch would be. Arch would be like having another ace recruiter on staff. 

I think Urban would have been a big positive for us at the time he got hired, but there's certainly no guarantee he would have done better than Sark & Co have so far. Maybe people would be more optimistic since he won 3 titles in the past. I think the game has passed him by though, would have been a hell of a ride watching him coasting on the sidelines.

I’m not sure what I thought Sark’s chances of working out here were when he was hired and had his staff put together. I was optimistic so let’s say 51%. Hiring coaches is hard.

Getting ass blasted by Arkansas was…….not good. But ok, year 1 coach gets punched in the mouth while he’s trying to figure his team out.

Being on the wrong side of the biggest comeback in the history of the RRS was……..not good. But ok, we can still play for the Big 12 championship and get revenge.

Completely shitting the bed in the 4th Q of the biggest recruiting weekend of the year and likely losing the ability to play in the Big 12 CCG was……….really not good. 

Im not done with Sark yet, but the first half of this season has been…….not good. Don’t know what my current odds are for him to make it here, but it isn’t 51% anymore. Is what it is. 

I basically think the only thing that can really turn him around is landing Arch Manning. Even then though, he’s gonna have to figure out how to keep his team from folding in epic fashion. 

• Hook 'Em 7

7 minutes ago, elguapo said:

This is CTJ's schtick that he's been doing for as long as I can remember following Texas football message boards, and more likely than not he'll be right because it's apparently really fucking hard to be a successful head coach at Texas. But CTJ won't be right because he has any kind of special insight into head football coaching skills or player talent, he just turns into a negative whiny bitch when we don't perform to his expectations.

The most difficult thing about being a Texas fan is trying to stay grounded in reality lol. I get caught up all the time in this "we're Texas" bullshit haha. We have two heisman winners all time. Since 1941 we have spent 45 weeks ranked number 1 overall which is 60 weeks less than the land thieves. We are tied with Iowa and georgia tech for national championships lol. Royal and Mack had good runs, damn good runs but that is far from the norm for us. If Sark can get us back to 10 win seasons with the occasional holy shit maybe we win it all moments then I will be fucking thrilled. If he can find a way to win some conference championships regularly that would also be great. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Thinking about what would be going on right now with Urban Meyer vs what is actually going on is not my idea of fun.

I've got faith, but Urban was a "Texas is definitely back pretty much right now" hire.

Seeing Urbans missteps in the NFL his success here would not be guaranteed. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

If you were a Duke alum, you would have been screaming for Coach K's head for the first 3 years. If you were a Bama alum, you would want to get rid of Saban after his first year. I want to win as badly as you but I also recognize reality. Take the last game on offense. WE had Worthy lining up outside and 3 others that didn't scare the defense in the slightest.  Next year, it will be Worthy, hopefully Whit, hopefully Troy, Winfield, Thompson and hopefully Stewart. When 4 of them are on the field, no backfield in the country can defend all 4. We knew before the season that our OL and defense had problems. Coaches can only do so much. Let's see what happens when this staff gets some of their players on the field. If things don't get better, then bitch. When its the coaches fault that's one thing but it isn't always.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Barbacoa said:

I’m not sure what I thought Sark’s chances of working out here were when he was hired and had his staff put together. I was optimistic so let’s say 51%. Hiring coaches is hard.

Getting ass blasted by Arkansas was…….not good. But ok, year 1 coach gets punched in the mouth while he’s trying to figure his team out.

Being on the wrong side of the biggest comeback in the history of the RRS was……..not good. But ok, we can still play for the Big 12 championship and get revenge.

Completely shitting the bed in the 4th Q of the biggest recruiting weekend of the year and likely losing the ability to play in the Big 12 CCG was……….really not good. 

Im not done with Sark yet, but the first half of this season has been…….not good. Don’t know what my current odds are for him to make it here, but it isn’t 51% anymore. Is what it is. 

I basically think the only thing that can really turn him around is landing Arch Manning. Even then though, he’s gonna have to figure out how to keep his team from folding in epic fashion. 

Same. I could rationalize my way around the Arkansas and OU losses. It’s the OSU loss that really cratered my confidence. If we surprise and win the next two then everything looks much better again, but after last week 4-5 does seem far more likely. 

I would take an Arch commitment over Urban hire 10 out of 10 times.  If Sark can win Arch it will have a dramatic affect on the the 23 class and will also help with cherry picking the rest of the 22 class.  It will significantly help with the greatest area of need and that’s oline recruiting.  Sark should be fine with the right players but he needs a boost to get those most needed players in sooner than later.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Year 1 to year 2 jump is most critical and when we should see biggest jump in performance. 

Agree. I think we end up 7-5 this year, possible 8-4 or 6-6. Not ideal but I’m not giving up on Sark given roster limitations, first year, and how close we are to being 6-1. 

Next year with everything returning, anything worse than 9-3 would be a very bad sign. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

The 3 teams we have lost to this year would get beat by either of those maryland teams? They would beat kansas by 2 points, giving up 48 points? In 2018 we let ok state boat race us for 3 quarters only to not come all the way back and win lmao. Is that a better loss? At one point against baylor in 2019 we were losing 21-3 in the third quarter. How is any of this shit performing lower than Tom Herman? 

Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

All of the whatif silliness gets boring pretty quickly, but yeah, with a mediocre DC in Chris Ash actually stopping the run, Herman beats that Okie State team. Also, irrespective of the debacles you just named, the dude never suffered a loss by more than 17 points. So yeah, I also don't think his arrogant ass gets blown out in Fayetteville by 19 (and really, it was way worse) either.

1 hour ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Bring this to recruiting, I’ll lose a little bit of faith after I see the results of this recruiting class and the Arch situation play out. If the staff can still sell kids after the struggles of this season, it gives me hope that they have a vision for the future that is worth buying into. If they prove to not be able to close, we only keep getting further away from them being able to lean on the Bama pedigree.

I think Texas is going to land Arch and I think it might enable Sarkisian to breakthrough the 7 win barrier, so I'm hopeful on that end myself.

1 hour ago, elguapo said:

Listen, neverminding all of the other things you're wrong on in this post, but I am not "whiny". I am declarative and an asshole or motherfucker perhaps, but not whiny.

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

The most difficult thing about being a Texas fan is trying to stay grounded in reality lol. I get caught up all the time in this "we're Texas" bullshit haha. We have two heisman winners all time. Since 1941 we have spent 45 weeks ranked number 1 overall which is 60 weeks less than the land thieves. We are tied with Iowa and georgia tech for national championships lol. Royal and Mack had good runs, damn good runs but that is far from the norm for us. If Sark can get us back to 10 win seasons with the occasional holy shit maybe we win it all moments then I will be fucking thrilled. If he can find a way to win some conference championships regularly that would also be great. 

Sarkisian has never won 10 games in his career, playing against weaker opponents than who he has faced and will face at Texas. So, good luck with alllllll that.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

If you were a Duke alum, you would have been screaming for Coach K's head for the first 3 years. If you were a Bama alum, you would want to get rid of Saban after his first year. I want to win as badly as you but I also recognize reality. Take the last game on offense. WE had Worthy lining up outside and 3 others that didn't scare the defense in the slightest.  Next year, it will be Worthy, hopefully Whit, hopefully Troy, Winfield, Thompson and hopefully Stewart. When 4 of them are on the field, no backfield in the country can defend all 4. We knew before the season that our OL and defense had problems. Coaches can only do so much. Let's see what happens when this staff gets some of their players on the field. If things don't get better, then bitch. When its the coaches fault that's one thing but it isn't always.

If Steve Sarkisian puts up career numbers on the football field akin to the way Coach K has in basketball, I will kiss your bare ass in public and give you 20 minutes to draw a crowd. That reference is laughably unrelatable. 

I remember Nick Saban's 2007 season at Alabama with clarity, because I have always enjoyed rooting against Nick Saban and Alabama, and now they were together. I was at Bennigan's off Riverside with SL Xpress and others when they lost to ULM and we all fucking cackled and high-fived. It was glorious. And yet we knew with absolute certainty that that shithead was going to turn Bama into a winner. Everyone did. His departure from Miami was bad news for college football as far as we were concerned. The dude had already won a title.

You're comparing Saban at the time to a guy in Sarkisian who has never won more than 9 games in a season (which he did once) and who was unceremoniously fired in the middle of a gameweek from his last big time HC role at USC because he was a crumbling drunk who was collapsing under the pressure of the role and was disappearing for days at a time and showing up to practices and games with hooch and hooch on his breath. You can go watch clips of him on the sidelines against UW just before he was fired where he is visibly drunk during the game. I mean, the two circumstances and people are nothing alike. I literally laughed out loud thinking about this comparison.

Comparing Saban's first year at Bama or his ULM looss to anything going on for another team with a new coach has become a de facto message board trope. It's typically invalid and it is laughably invalid here. 

12 minutes ago, stork642 said:

I would take an Arch commitment over Urban hire 10 out of 10 times.  If Sark can win Arch it will have a dramatic affect on the the 23 class and will also help with cherry picking the rest of the 22 class.  It will significantly help with the greatest area of need and that’s oline recruiting.  Sark should be fine with the right players but he needs a boost to get those most needed players in sooner than later.  

I would take Urban Meyer over Arch Manning every day and twice on Sunday. But that isn't a choice, so I'll just keep hoping Texas lands Manning. That considered, remember that Arch Manning, if he's healthy and as amazing as he looks, has a ceiling of Payton Manning as Tennessee, not Vince Young at Texas. He's not going to be a transcendent dual threat QB that saves us no matter who the HC is, and he's not going to be that kind of leader, either. I'd take Payton Manning at Tennessee-level shit, but it's not going to spell titles unto itself. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Basically Sark’s only real chance is to land Manning and have players portal in to play with him. He will be retained or fired based on his record in year 1 of the SEC. 

One thing I can promise is our retarded donors won’t feel a sense of urgency until we are getting mushroom stamped in the SEC, and even then their focus will be on the next coach and not on stocking the roster with talent for that coach. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Barbacoa said:

Basically Sark’s only real chance is to land Manning and have players portal in to play with him. He will be retained or fired based on his record in year 1 of the SEC. 

One thing I can promise is our retarded donors won’t feel a sense of urgency until we are getting mushroom stamped in the SEC, and even then their focus will be on the next coach and not on stocking the roster with talent for that coach. 

Honestly, if they did not feel a sense of urgency by getting mushroom stamped by the big 12, not sure why the SEC would be different, unless this is an NIL specific comment. 

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I would take Urban Meyer over Arch Manning every day and twice on Sunday. But that isn't a choice, so I'll just keep hoping Texas lands Manning. That considered, remember that Arch Manning, if he's healthy and as amazing as he looks, has a ceiling of Payton Manning as Tennessee, not Vince Young at Texas. He's not going to be a transcendent dual threat QB that saves us no matter who the HC is, and he's not going to be that kind of leader, either. I'd take Payton Manning at Tennessee-level shit, but it's not going to spell titles unto itself. 

100% agree on this re: Urban vs Arch. Well known program builder (top to bottom) vs a guy who plans on being a 3 and gone type of player.

Arch is very good but he has a built in ceiling due to his QB archetype and that isn't focused on enough around here or really anywhere. Pocket passers require quality OL way more than a mobile QB, which limits the ceiling of a God tier pocket passer compared to a true God tier dual threat QB. Add in that Arch doesn't seem like a super high charisma dude and I would rather have the guy who is going to build a program vs just Arch.

Spoiler

Also, if they were both in the same class I would rather have Ewers over Manning from a QB ceiling perspective and don't really have to thin twice about it.

It's amazing how many of the exact same posts we're all reading on here that we type and pasted at the beginning of the Charlie Strong regime, as well as when blatant questions started presenting themselves during the beginning of the Herman era. Just straight up copy and paste bullshit we've been reading in some for the last 11 years. Saban and his loss at ULM. Coach K at Duke. Being the head coach at Texas is harder than other jobs, and just plain hard. It's just fucking unbelievable that people don't get tired of making the exact same excuses or equivocations for the same exact same bullshit time and time again with regards to the Texas coaching cycles. In my brain, I know it's a psychological defense mechanism for people trying to keep some level of hope and sanity for something at which we're all violently emotionally invested in, and for quite a few posters on here monetarily invested in as well. I get it, it's hard to just let reality slap you in the face with its four-pound, footlong hog. Denial and cognitive dissonance is much easier. 

But for fuck's sake, can we at least get some new material for our shitty equivocations? We're getting really close to some "college station is a sleeping giant" and "trust Jimbo" bullshit in many of these posts. Personally, I'd much rather call the giant wet turd in the punch-bowl the giant wet turd in the punch bowl. But some of you guys are perfectly happy to just dip that cup in and drink the fucking punch. Nothing to see here, move along.

Sarkisian is showing signs of some systemic issues and problems that, sadly, he's shown elsewhere. Can he get his shit together? Sure, it's possible, and he's generally an affable guy and unlike Tom Herman, I think everyone here is rooting for it. I'm rooting for it. But man, we're starting to see some bad patterns. 

• Hook 'Em 8

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Sarkisian is showing signs of some systemic issues and problems that, sadly, he's shown elsewhere. Can he get his shit together? Sure, it's possible, and he's generally an affable guy and unlike Tom Herman, I think everyone here is rooting for it. I'm rooting for it. But man, we're starting to see some bad patterns. 

Simpsons Mr Thompson I Think Hes Talking To You GIF - Simpsons Mr Thompson I  Think Hes Talking To You - Discover & Share GIFs

Seriously though, I think the quoted part of your text applies to the vast majority of this board anyway. I'm sick of this shit as much as the next guy, but I'm not about to quit watching...although I did go for a walk after we failed to convert on the 4th down throw to a double covered Bijan with 5 minutes left  against Oklahoma. My wife asked where I was going, and I told her I don't want to watch this shit again before telling her exactly was about to happen. Unfortunately, I was slightly wrong. Thought we'd hold them to a FG to win it instead of the TD after we tied it up with a little over 1 minute left. 

Edited by IDIOTsavant
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

Simpsons Mr Thompson I Think Hes Talking To You GIF - Simpsons Mr Thompson I  Think Hes Talking To You - Discover & Share GIFs

Seriously though, I think the quoted part of your text applies to the vast majority of this board anyway. I'm sick of this shit as much as the next guy, but I'm not about to quit watching...although I did go for a walk after we failed to convert on the 4th down throw to a double covered Bijan with 5 minutes left  against Oklahoma. My wife asked where I was going, and I told her I don't to watch this shit again before telling her exactly was about to happen. Unfortunately, I was slightly wrong. Thought we'd hold them to a FG to win it instead of the TD after we tied it up with a little over 1 minute left. 

You think I'm going to quite watching? I don't know ANYONE who is capable, much less intending to stop watching. The most I can generally do is stop reading and posting here for a week or two, before something pulls me back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's amazing how many of the exact same posts we're all reading on here that we type and pasted at the beginning of the Charlie Strong regime, as well as when blatant questions started presenting themselves during the beginning of the Herman era.

Part of my issue with the pessimism is it feels like you guys are writing off the potential for future success because you’ve been hurt by the past. Your trust issues are showing.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Sark's been out of the saddle for a while.  There is the possibility and opportunity for growth as a head coach versus what he's shown so far this year and what he showed when he was a drunk.  Notwithstanding any comparisons, I think some patience is called for to see if he can figure some things out.  He's got several good traits to build on and a pretty good supporting cast.  He would have to be a complete moron to not learn from some of the basic shit that is holding him back, because he is clearly more open minded and introspective than some of the other mo-fos who have coached here.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You think I'm going to quite watching? I don't know ANYONE who is capable, much less intending to stop watching. The most I can generally do is stop reading and posting here for a week or two, before something pulls me back. 

More of a "misery loves company" situation IMO. Just stating how many of us are in the same boat.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Part of my issue with the pessimism is it feels like you guys are writing off the potential for future success because you’ve been hurt by the past. Your trust issues are showing.

Also, having leads to blow beats Herman and Strong's first seasons. Progress baby!

• Haha 1

I will say that the one thing about Sark that gives me some optimism is a capacity to acknowledge a fault and fix it. Can he fix his coaching blind spots? TBD, but I don't really question him in the same ways I did Strong (job was too big) and Herman (thinks he's the smartest guy in every room).

Edited by IDIOTsavant
typo
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I try to keep up around here but could have missed someone explaining the systemic issues / problem patterns, unless some shitty D and shitty 2nd half O sums it up.

4 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Sark's been out of the saddle for a while.  There is the possibility and opportunity for growth as a head coach versus what he's shown so far this year and what he showed when he was a drunk.  Notwithstanding any comparisons, I think some patience is called for to see if he can figure some things out.  He's got several good traits to build on and a pretty good supporting cast.  He would have to be a complete moron to not learn from some of the basic shit that is holding him back, because he is clearly more open minded and introspective than some of the other mo-fos who have coached here.

What exactly are his issues?

22 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It's amazing how many of the exact same posts we're all reading on here that we type and pasted at the beginning of the Charlie Strong regime, as well as when blatant questions started presenting themselves during the beginning of the Herman era.

Humans find patterns where patterns don't exist. It's how we put ourselves at the center of situations and/or attribute deeper meaning to things that don't actually have meaning. There's a big word for it that starts with an a.

Strong -> Herman -> Sark is not a pattern except in the larger sense of, "Football teams, for the most part, get 8 wins or fewer per year." as a very normal pattern and "New coaching hires tend not to build championship teams within 3-5 years, if at all."

It sounds a lot more interesting if we make it seem like an actual pattern and it's way more personally resonant if we can put ourselves into teams "The Realists vs. The Sunshine Pumpers" and fight a Holy War on behalf of our team.

It's a stupid argument, really, and one that belongs on an entirely different forum.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

I don't understand a world where there should be fucking trust in coaching until a coach has earned it. And that includes at every new stop. So far this guy isn't even learning from several very, very obvious mistakes at a coaching level from week to week, game to game. And he's displaying many of the same traits he was accused of at other stops, regardless of drinking. This isn't a fucking girlfriend or spouse, it's a paid employee of the University with a checkered past. It's good sense to be skeptical, and honestly, and if he wants trust he can fucking earn it. Removing motion and outside zone and jet sweeps once again offensively when running up the middle wasn't working and failing to adjust isn't a trust issue, at this point. It's a demonstrable pattern pointing straight away to "Don't fucking trust." And don't get me started on the defense. 

4 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

If he can figure shit out. Sure, I mean, lets be realistic, this motherfucker isn't going anywhere for awhile barring a public breach or his morality clause. So he's going to get the some time to show improvement, whether we like it or not. But you say he'd have to be a moron, and we've established he's not learning week to week on any of this shit yet. Just because he's less of a public prick doesn't mean he's got some amazing open mind. It just means he knows how to talk to the media. Because none of us is seeing the game by game adjustments we'd expect, and we're certainly not seeing the in game on-the-fly shit we hoped to and even expected to see from the offensive wizard. So what exactly are you basing this optimism on? The next poster got it right, we're all in the same boat, since he's going to get the some time. But don't piss down my back and tell me its raining.

3 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

More of a "misery loves company" situation IMO. Just stating how many of us are in the same boat.

Fuck. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Also, having leads to blow beats Herman and Strong's first seasons. Progress baby!

Not getting shat upon by fat Pat & actually winning in Ft. Worth (cue the "& it could have been worse cries") are already signs of progress.

I know some of y'all on here are geriatrics & are really wanting to win this season before you become senile & don't know your left hand from the color spaghetti or take the long dirt nap, but I'm just approaching middle-age so if we can keep this sort of baby step progress going I may very well see another conference championship while I still have the mental capacity to remember & enjoy it & tell my grandkids about the dark ages of Longhorn football while they're making fun of me for not understanding how to use my iPhone 40. The 2051 season is looking bright, just keep laying the bricks!

• Haha 1