Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

On January 22, 2019 at 4:07 PM, RollLeft said:

What environmental impact does it take to make a dishwasher, use electricity and use water.  Less than using a paper plate is my guess.  So, foku.  

Do you run the dishwasher for just one plate? How about you use a plate and rinse it off in the sink when you're done?

Whatever you need to tell yourself to justify needless waste. They say "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle." I'm guessing you strike out on that pitch. And probably leave your trash at your seat when you leave the stadium. 

On 1/24/2019 at 7:13 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Wrestling was really popular in Iowa for years, and Dan Gable was better at it than anyone else.  He was undefeated during his time wrestling at ISU, then he won Olympic gold, then he turned heel and lead the Hawkeyes to dominance as their head coach for years.  There are few people who have so thoroughly dominated their sport at as many different levels as he did.

I've never been much of a fan, and it's a slowly petering out niche sport that no one gives a shit about outside the Plains Midwest and Pennsylvania/New Jersey.  My brother wrestled, so I spent a lot of time at youth wrestling meets as a kid.  It's about an 8 hour ordeal, in some high school gym with a bunch of assholes living vicariously through their kids, aged 5 to 12.  Thankfully my folks weren't that way (they just went to these things because my brother participated), but I was bored out of my damn mind the whole time.  Wrestlers, as a group, are actually super Aggy.  They have an inferiority complex about the popularity of basketball (which overtook wrestling in popularity in Iowa when I was growing up and is now light years beyond), and they make shirts about it.  They all have that cauliflower ear, and they generally seem like psychopaths.  

The Iowa high school wrestling tournament is a sight to behold.  Every small town wrestling fan descends on downtown for a weekend of demonstrating their aggressive insularity to the rest of the world.  Each town with matching shirts, high school kids getting shitfaced in hotels downtown, and their parents going out to bars (in their matching shirts), bitching about $4 beers, and starting fights with "city faggots".  

Gable lost his final match, FYI. Not trying to be a dick.

54 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Gable lost his final match, FYI. Not trying to be a dick.

12 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

No worries.  I don’t follow it that close and for some reason thought he was undefeated in college

Frankly my Dear, I don’t give a damn.  

Fify. 

On 1/24/2019 at 8:13 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

Wrestling was really popular in Iowa for years, and Dan Gable was better at it than anyone else.  He was undefeated during his time wrestling at ISU, then he won Olympic gold, then he turned heel and lead the Hawkeyes to dominance as their head coach for years.  There are few people who have so thoroughly dominated their sport at as many different levels as he did.

I've never been much of a fan, and it's a slowly petering out niche sport that no one gives a shit about outside the Plains Midwest and Pennsylvania/New Jersey.  My brother wrestled, so I spent a lot of time at youth wrestling meets as a kid.  It's about an 8 hour ordeal, in some high school gym with a bunch of assholes living vicariously through their kids, aged 5 to 12.  Thankfully my folks weren't that way (they just went to these things because my brother participated), but I was bored out of my damn mind the whole time.  Wrestlers, as a group, are actually super Aggy.  They have an inferiority complex about the popularity of basketball (which overtook wrestling in popularity in Iowa when I was growing up and is now light years beyond), and they make shirts about it.  They all have that cauliflower ear, and they generally seem like psychopaths.  

The Iowa high school wrestling tournament is a sight to behold.  Every small town wrestling fan descends on downtown for a weekend of demonstrating their aggressive insularity to the rest of the world.  Each town with matching shirts, high school kids getting shitfaced in hotels downtown, and their parents going out to bars (in their matching shirts), bitching about $4 beers, and starting fights with "city faggots".  

61mbh+Wz0kL._SY550_.jpg

• Like 1

Coens.  Wes Anderson.  And to a lesser extent - only because hes no longer praised with the same loft - Tarantino.... all hugely overrated.

I mean, they all know how to make great movies.  At least 2 from each are amongst my personal favorites...but they also make plenty of stinkers and duds. 

People make as if every turd they squeeze turn into gold tho.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:
1 hour ago, ztejas said:
Alice in Chains is a better band than Nirvana

Is this really that unpopular? Alice In Chains blows away Nirvana.

Well, Layne died of an overdose, so I think Nirvana blows away the competition here.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Nirvana obviously blew up more but in terms of musical ability, Alice In Chains was so much better. Dirt is better than anything Nirvana released.

I'm just now going through all of AIC's discography. I really like Jar of Flies too. Not as heavy, but showed they had some range.

I was listening to some Nirvana for the first time in awhile and thinking, man, they're kind of boring and one note, aren't they? They have some catchy shit but seem super limited on guitar and bass. Grohl's drumming and Kurt's songwriting really carried them.

10 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Nirvana gets hated on a lot, but they had some amazing moments.

Not hating on them or disputing that. I just think AIC is more interesting and had more talent across the board. 

Was reading they took a lot of influence from LA/SoCal despite originating in Seattle. Which makes sense. They remind me a bit of GnR.

19 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Coens.  Wes Anderson.  And to a lesser extent - only because hes no longer praised with the same loft - Tarantino.... all hugely overrated.

I mean, they all know how to make great movies.  At least 2 from each are amongst my personal favorites...but they also make plenty of stinkers and duds. 

People make as if every turd they squeeze turn into gold tho.

Coen brothers have never made a bad movie so you would be WRONG.

Wes Anderson sucks though.

Tarantino is hit or miss but mostly hit.

I was listening to some Nirvana for the first time in awhile and thinking, man, they're kind of boring and one note, aren't they? They have some catchy shit but seem super limited on guitar and bass. Grohl's drumming and Kurt's songwriting really carried them.

Funny that comment is mentioned for Nirvana with Coen/Anderson/Tarantino and Foo Fighters a couple posts down. After Foo locked in their sound, ~the 3rd album, they have been pretty one note.

Wes Anderson. Great. Pretty one note.
Tarantino. Great. Pretty one note.
Coens. Great. More versatile than the others IMO, but always have a Coeny feel to shot selection and dialogue.

33 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Damn. Ten is pretty strong...

Ten is their best album imo. It's so great front to back. I feel like people say versus is their best album because they've been told that's what they're supposed to spout. 

On the level though I prob agree PJ is the strongest grunge band given their entire discography. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I'm just now going through all of AIC's discography. I really like Jar of Flies too. Not as heavy, but showed they had some range.

Nevermind from Nirvana gets very boring and repetitive after the first handful of tracks. Starts off pretty good and fizzes out. They made catchier songs for the radio than AIC but they were not close to them talent wise. I enjoy Soundgarden a lot more than Nirvana as well.

AIC is overrated as well.
Pearl Jam VS is the best album, song 1 to song 12, of the grunge era. 

Pearl Jam is boring as shit. They are the McDonald’s of grunge. Their best song was the car crash one. STP was an order of magnitude better. Even smashing pumpkins is better than Pearl Jam and I don’t actually like them.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Even smashing pumpkins is better than Pearl Jam and I don’t actually like them.

Billy Corgan* is better than all of these bands but they aren't really grunge so not sure why you are bringing them up. 

Edited by ztejas
fixed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Yup.  Alice in Chains was a better band, but Nirvana had better songs, and Grohl's drumming kicked ass.  I love both, but 60-70% of the time, I'm reaching for the Nirvana album first because a good song wins over a great musical performance for me.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

1 hour ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

AIC is overrated as well.

Pearl Jam VS is the best album, song 1 to song 12, of the grunge era. 

Also, yup.

It's not my favorite Pearl Jam album (that's Vitalogy), but measuing the strength of everyone song on balance, you're dead-on.  One could also make the argument that Vitalogy wasn't really a grunge album either.  Lots of acoustic tunes, straight up punk songs, and sonic weirdness.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Pearl Jam is boring as shit. They are the McDonald’s of grunge. Their best song was the car crash one. STP was an order of magnitude better. Even smashing pumpkins is better than Pearl Jam and I don’t actually like them.

You're in the right place with this shit take on music.

I don’t understand the big deal with shitting in public. I get it, the bathroom is gross sometimes because other people have used it. But if I’ve gotten to the point where the idea of taking a shit has crossed my mind, I’m throwing some toilet paper on the seat, washing my hands, and getting the fuck out of there feeling relieved. I don’t understand someone being such a germaphobe that they’d rather hold in a shit for an hour (or a few hours) just because of the bathroom. And no, I’m not talking about the gas station bathroom that hasn’t been cleaned in a week. I’m talking about the public restrooms that cleaned on a regular basis. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I don’t understand the big deal with shitting in public. I get it, the bathroom is gross sometimes because other people have used it. But if I’ve gotten to the point where the idea of taking a shit has crossed my mind, I’m throwing some toilet paper on the seat, washing my hands, and getting the fuck out of there feeling relieved. I don’t understand someone being such a germaphobe that they’d rather hold in a shit for an hour (or a few hours) just because of the bathroom. And no, I’m not talking about the gas station bathroom that hasn’t been cleaned in a week. I’m talking about the public restrooms that cleaned on a regular basis. 

just be sure to flush your ass gasket down as well.