Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

7 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Well this fucking qualified as unpopular. You have my thoughts and prayers for all the shit you're about to get.

Before this weekend, I shared the popular opinion.  But then I watched it again for the first time in forever.  I chuckled a couple of times but, overall, it’s not funny.  I think people give it a pass because it’s a Christmas tradition.  

The original Vacation, however, is a masterpiece.  

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Is Christmas Vacation as good as Vacation?  No.  But it's still pretty fucking funny and a million miles ahead of the other post-Vacation movies.

This is one of my favorite songs to "bump in the ride", while traversing the USA in summer with family...

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

You sir are an idiot if you think Carlin is overrated.

Guess it all went over your head.

Yeah, because it was so complex.  Gtfoh.  His early counterculture viewpoints may have had some value and were sometimes funny but it doesn't mean he wasn't overrated.  Like someone else said as he got older his act got bitter and his shtick tiresome.  You're entitled to your opinion.  As am I.   

Edited by RollLeft

1 hour ago, RollLeft said:

Yeah, because it was so complex.  Gtfoh.  His early counterculture viewpoints may have had some value and were sometimes funny but it doesn't mean he wasn't overrated.  Like someone else said as he got older his act got bitter and his shtick tiresome.  You're entitled to your opinion.  As am I.   

Correct about opinions but I am curious as to whom you find funny......

1 hour ago, RollLeft said:

DOH !

Edited by Steamboat1874

3 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

George-Costanza-Im-out.gif

I think it's one of those movies that was edgy for its time but by the time I saw it (I think 2013), it was pretty meh for me. Maybe it was too before my time and I don't "get" it but there's a lot of comedies from that time era that I enjoy. Shrugs. The only thing I enjoyed was knowing where the memes originated from and the context. Seeing as a lot of those memes are popular here.

Edited by Vic Mackey

10 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I think it's one of those movies that was edgy for its time but by the time I saw it (I think 2013), it was pretty meh for me. Maybe it was too before my time and I don't "get" it but there's a lot of comedies from that time era that I enjoy. Shrugs. The only thing I enjoyed was knowing where the memes originated from and the context. Seeing as a lot of those memes are popular here.

ae71ee90-c51a-4334-9a6a-abcdb26d3894_tex

• Like 5

Christmas Vacation and Blazing Saddles not funny? Does not compute. I watched Christmas Vacation last night, with a nice, cold whiskey in hand, and chuckled out loud all throughout. It was a downright enjoyable experience.

On one page, people have shat upon two American institutions. And I'll not stand idly buy while you denigrate American institutions. Damn commies. 

Edited by lateshow
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Blazing Saddles is not funny.

Fuck, I have to agree. Comedy is subjective though, so I can just say it's not funny to me. Saw it for the first time a couple years ago. Was expecting some comedic masterpiece but it fell well short of that. I also agree that I didn't find it edgy at all. Maybe saying "nigger" and "faggot" was edgy back then, but as a millennial who grew up hearing those words in every other rap song and who's been graphically killing video game characters since the age of 9, it just takes much more to generate shock laughs. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Fuck, I have to agree. Comedy is subjective though, so I can just say it's not funny to me. Saw it for the first time a couple years ago. Was expecting some comedic masterpiece but it fell well short of that. I also agree that I didn't find it edgy at all. Maybe saying "nigger" and "faggot" was edgy back then, but as a millennial who grew up hearing those words in every other rap song and who's been graphically killing video game characters since the age of 9, it just takes much more to generate shock laughs. 

Exactly. Comedy is the one genre that is going to be the most subjective. And yes, it isn't funny to me. If others think it's the best movie out there, cool. It's just a movie. No biggie. But after seeing all the memes on here and quotes threads and hearing about, I expected a comedic masterpience as you mentioned. Anything but. I had to force myself to finish the movie. I kept waiting for it to be better but it never did and then I was already too far along to tap out.

Coming To America, now that's some funny shit to me.

I remember the first time I watched blazing saddles, I didn’t realize beforehand it was a comedy.  We had a guy at work who was big into westerns, and I enjoy them, and he always talked it up as the best there’s ever been. It of course took about 30 seconds to figure it out, but other than some stellar offensive one liners and a great set of tits, I’ve never liked it either. More so likely it just pisses me off I thought I was about to witness some Josey Wales type greatness, only to be greeted with “dock that chink a days pay”. 

Everyone finds coming to America funny, Vic. 

2 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I remember the first time I watched blazing saddles, I didn’t realize beforehand it was a comedy.  We had a guy at work who was big into westerns, and I enjoy them, and he always talked it up as the best there’s ever been. It of course took about 30 seconds to figure it out, but other than some stellar offensive one liners and a great set of tits, I’ve never liked it either. More so likely it just pisses me off I thought I was about to witness some Josey Wales type greatness, only to be greeted with “dock that chink a days pay”. 

Everyone finds coming to America funny, Vic. 

I'm not a big fan of Blazing Saddles, but it has some good one liners. I always thought Young Frankenstein was Brooks best movie. Liked the way everyone played it straight. Lots more quotable lines, also. 

What knockers

13995706_gal.jpg

5 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I can’t see the pic but I’m guessing it’s Dracula dead and loving it. My brother and I was obsessed with this movie in like the Summer of ‘93 or something, when latch key kids had VCRs and a blockbuster card. Don’t even talk about Robin Hood Men in tights and Hot Shots Part Deux. I really enjoyed the Dracula movie.

I only saw the 2nd half of Men In Tights, and I loved the hell out of it, but that's because of context. I'd won free tickets to the Ted Danson/Whoopie Goldberg "Made in America" movie, which my wife and I walked out of about 15 minutes in - it was free, but still so bad that we wanted our money back. The theater was nice enough to let us walk in to another movie, which we were very relieved by.

42 minutes ago, Whatever said:

I'm a big fan of both Coming to America & Robin Hood Men in Tights, but those seem to be popular opinions.

Unpopular:

I don't like Pearl Jam

I like Chili's

I enjoy thick women like Vic.  Hell I married one (no pics)

That's how great Coming to America is. Even people with shitty taste like it. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Whatever said:

I enjoy thick women like Vic.  Hell I married one (no pics)

There are legitimate ways around the rule.  This is not one of them.  Pics or gtfo. I ask only because I suspect your definition of "thick" is vastly different that Vic's type.

Edited by 'stache

My dear and beautiful but sardonically irreverent bride loves the "double time harch" scene in History of the World, swears she is seeing Gregory Hines's long schvantz flopping as the selected "candidates" march out.  Mel Brooks has improved this old world, imho.  Plus, banging Anne Bancroft.

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 11:11 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Exactly. Comedy is the one genre that is going to be the most subjective. And yes, it isn't funny to me. If others think it's the best movie out there, cool. It's just a movie. No biggie. But after seeing all the memes on here and quotes threads and hearing about, I expected a comedic masterpience as you mentioned. Anything but. I had to force myself to finish the movie. I kept waiting for it to be better but it never did and then I was already too far along to tap out.

Coming To America, now that's some funny shit to me.

Sometimes comedy has to be viewed in the time in which it was created. Considering the time Blazing Saddles was created it was hilarious. It made fun of the whole Hollywood western genre. Would John Wayne, Alan Ladd or Clint Eastwood have ever made a movie where the word "nigger" was spoken?  Of course not. But, they all where thinking it every time a black actor came on the screen .

Gene Wilder and Cleavon Little shoved it in their faces in a way that they couldn't deny it.  That was the brilliance of Blazing Saddles. And it was funny too.