Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:41 PM, Jersey Man10 said:
On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 12:17 PM, HRSchenker said:
This gets me a lot of shit from my friends but I think Star Wars The Last Jedi is the worst Star Wars movie ever made. It ruins the lore of the first 6 films by making Luke Skywalker be the villain.

You're right it did suck ass. Your friends are morons.

The true unpopular opinion on this site is saying The Last Jedi was actually pretty good, and definitely not among the worst films in the franchise.  Also, who the fuck think Luke was the villain?  That should be the unpopular take.

18 minutes ago, Drew said:

The true unpopular opinion on this site is saying The Last Jedi was actually pretty good, and definitely not among the worst films in the franchise.  Also, who the fuck think Luke was the villain?  That should be the unpopular take.

I'll explain myself. Films 4, 5, and 6 pretty much show how virtuous Luke is as a Jedi. His father spent his entire childhood in training by the best Jedis in the galaxy but still succumbed to the dark side. Remember that Darth Vader was so feared by people that even his name alone was enough to bring terror into the minds of people. But Luke was seemingly immune from that. He spends considerably less time training, opting to learn from Obi Wan and Yoda in a shorter period of time. In Empire Strikes Back when given the opportunity to join the dark side or fall to his death he chose the latter. He then spends the next film trying to get his father to leave the dark side, going so far as to refusing to fight him when it meant certain death in front of the emperor. But during TLJ they tried to convince us that Luke was so afraid of Kylo Ren that he tried to kill him in his sleep. That's not the Luke Skywalker we know from the other films. This is an entirely different person. That is not the Luke Skywalker who walked side by side with Darth Vader telling him "I'm not going to fight you". 

/nerd alert. Hopefully all of that doesn't make me sound like this guy

• Like 1

Fair take.  You don't come off as totally crazy or anything like that.  I just don't get the "he tried to kill Kilo Ren" part.  He plainly said for the briefest moment he considered ending the threat right then and there, but that thought went away just as quick as it came.  That in no way shows him actually trying to kill him, or shows him to be different than he was in the OT...that's why I get frustrated when I see people saying that.  Even in RoTJ, despite saying he wouldn't fight his father, in the end his rage got the best of him and he did...than he realized what he was doing and stopped.  Same thing happened here.  He wasn't the Villain.  They thought about the greater good of ending a threat before it became one, but much like the Luke you remember, he made the right choice, morally, and didn't do it.

Also, I understand what you're saying about thinking he's a different person...but can be realistic?  This is 30+ years after RoTJ. You don't think a person changes, get more grizzled, more cynic as they age?  Even heroes like him?

Beyond that, liking or not liking the movie is up to each person.  I feel some have succumbed to group think and hate it just because everyone else is(even though I think far more people like it than don't, it's just those that don't are MUCH more vocal about it).  I just feel like this bad wrap Luke has gotten because of this movie isn't fair.  He's not a bad guy, he's just a guy who thinks he's doing what's best.

Oh and sorry, end thread derail.

On 11/16/2018 at 12:20 AM, Vic Mackey said:
On 11/15/2018 at 10:23 PM, pops said:
Turkey is way overated and fucking sucks. Therefore I'm doing prime rib and game hens for Thanksgiving. Because I can. And I will. 

I honestly only eat turkey on Thanksgiving and even at times on Easter and Christmas. So max 3 times a year. I agree that it sucks but I'll be deep frying a few of them for next Thursday.

honeybaked ham is where its at for the holiday meal(s)

I debated on if this was a trivial thing that makes me surly or an unpopular opinion...

Driving back from BFE Kansas from our holiday visit and I’m all the way past Waco with no trouble. Shockinly, we hit a huge I35 backup...finally pass the culprit and it’s an 02 Cavalier rear ended into 98 Camry into a 03 Caravan (approximately). The damage indicates that it’s not serious, they were obviously in slow and go traffic and somebody was fucking around on their phone.

If you’re gonna cost me an hour on the tail end of getting home, I need something more satisfying than $1200 worth of damage across 3 piece of shit cars. Somebody needs to be hurt bad, preferable with a death to whoever was at fault.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VolenteHawk said:

I debated on if this was a trivial thing that makes me surly or an unpopular opinion...

Driving back from BFE Kansas from our holiday visit and I’m all the way past Waco with no trouble. Shockinly, we hit a huge I35 backup...finally pass the culprit and it’s an 02 Cavalier rear ended into 98 Camry into a 03 Caravan (approximately). The damage indicates that it’s not serious, they were obviously in slow and go traffic and somebody was fucking around on their phone.

If you’re gonna cost me an hour on the tail end of getting home, I need something more satisfying than $1200 worth of damage across 3 piece of shit cars. Somebody needs to be hurt bad, preferable with a death to whoever was at fault.

Where in BFE Kansas, out of morbid curiosity?

I agree with that. I love me some Whataburger, but it's hilarious to see people get upset defending a fast food joint.

Best Whataburger I ever had was a green chile double in San Angelo, TX. Never had another one as good as that one.
Best one I've had was in Seagoville. I've had some very shitty ones, especially in Dallas. Bun was soggy and the meat was cold. It was disgusting. The small towns have the best ones for whatever reason.

4 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
5 hours ago, Okie State said:
I agree with that. I love me some Whataburger, but it's hilarious to see people get upset defending a fast food joint.

Best Whataburger I ever had was a green chile double in San Angelo, TX. Never had another one as good as that one.

Best one I've had was in Seagoville. I've had some very shitty ones, especially in Dallas. Bun was soggy and the meat was cold. It was disgusting. The small towns have the best ones for whatever reason.

probably less likely to find a employment opportunity if they sluff and word spreads in those smaller towns...in metros like Dallas, they can not give a fuck, get fired...go across the street and fill out an app.

I've always loved Whataburger however, lately the ones I've gone to really struggle to serve a hot burger.  Nothing is more irritating in the fast food world than getting a cheeseburger with cold cheese.   Not sure if they're franchise or corporate stores, but they're failing to offer up hot food more often than not. 

Edited by DigglerontheHoof

20 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

If I'm going to wait forever in gridlock traffic for an accident, I need to rewarded with seeing some mangled cars and dead bodies.

I had a guy flip his truck 10 car lengths in front of me last month.  Trust me.  You don't want to be one of the first people walking up to that.

42 minutes ago, Drew said:

The thing to me is if it's just a little fender bender, they need to keep on moving to the next exit.  Why hold up traffic because your bumper got dented?

If your car is still able to be driven, you are supposed to get it off the road and out of the way. This will be the first thing the cops will tell you when they arrive. People get a little fender bender on the highway and leave the cars there. Fuck off losers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I've always loved Whataburger however, lately the ones I've gone to really struggle to serve a hot burger.  Nothing is more irritating in the fast food world than getting a cheeseburger with cold cheese.   Not sure if they're franchise or corporate stores, but they're failing to offer up hot food more often than not. 

This is my issue and why I mentioned they are so hit and miss these days. It's getting worse which is why I hardly go there any longer. I had an In N Out burger back in the summer and they cooked it perfectly. 

14 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

If your car is still able to be driven, you are supposed to get it off the road and out of the way. This will be the first thing the cops will tell you when they arrive. People get a little fender bender on the highway and leave the cars there. Fuck off losers.

In defense of the people I wished death on in my story, this wreck was around Bruceville/Eddy and I35 is under construction through there.  Two lanes, barricaded on both sides, no shoulder, long ways between usable exits, and the middle piece of shit car was probably not drivable given the circumstances.  If a shoulder was available, they certainly could have nursed it over to that.

But, that's just the sort of reason to stay off your phone in traffic, even though you're bored, and not fuck everybody's drive up.

43 minutes ago, Underdog said:

No it wasn't.  You can get the same at Walmart for a helluvalot cheaper and you wouldn't even notice the difference in taste. 

This is unpopular and wrong.  The Walmart/Heb hams can't come close to the greatness of Honey Baked Hams.  

26 minutes ago, VolenteHawk said:

In defense of the people I wished death on in my story, this wreck was around Bruceville/Eddy and I35 is under construction through there.  Two lanes, barricaded on both sides, no shoulder, long ways between usable exits, and the middle piece of shit car was probably not drivable given the circumstances.  If a shoulder was available, they certainly could have nursed it over to that.

But, that's just the sort of reason to stay off your phone in traffic, even though you're bored, and not fuck everybody's drive up.

Yep.  Also you should have taken the back way and cut from Waco to Moody and popped back on around Belton.

54 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

You mean they're not going to send out CSI and Accident Reconstruction teams?

32 minutes ago, Drew said:

Yep.  Also you should have taken the back way and cut from Waco to Moody and popped back on around Belton.

By the time you could exit 7, it was too late, you were almost through the backup. But I would have cut over to 317 sooner, but the delay was being wildly underestimated when I looked. Google maps was warning me of pretty normal looking delays between Lorena and Temple that are pretty much always there...didn’t think much of it.

Edited by VolenteHawk

Oh yeah, if you have no notice at all, you're right, it's hard to make that call. I usually just go that way on Sundays, Friday Afternoons, and on Holiday's, just to be preemptive.  Sure it could end up taking longer, but it's worth it not to be stuck in Eddy on a Sunday Afternoon going 2 miles an hour.

Ham, of any kind and quality, is the second-most boring meat you can get.  Only turkey is worse.  I'll occasionally make a ham and salami sandwich, but only to take advantage of the ham's blandness and be able to add more meat without the salami becoming overpowering.  But on it's own... fuck ham.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Ham, of any kind and quality, is the second-most boring meat you can get.  Only turkey is worse.  I'll occasionally make a ham and salami sandwich, but only to take advantage of the ham's blandness and be able to add more meat without the salami becoming overpowering.  But on it's own... fuck ham.  

You, sir, are in the correct thread.  Wow.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2018 at 4:19 PM, Vic Mackey said:
On 11/25/2018 at 3:47 PM, Zepol87 said:

Plus Whataburger sucks thrown in

Texans are so sensitive about fast food burgers. It's comedy. Whataburger doesn't suck. But it's a fucking fast food burger that is very hit or miss depending on time and location. Nothing special about it.

I don't get the fixation on fast food or convience stores. No, I don't give a shit if you ate Whataburger or went to fucking Bucee's. I was in Fort Worth a couple of months ago and my wife's aunt was raving about Bucee's like it was a Michelin star restaurant. WTF? This also applies to Tulsa fucksticks that want to talk shit because they have Quick Trip. I just want fuel, fuck your drinks and snacks.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

probably less likely to find a employment opportunity if they sluff and word spreads in those smaller towns...in metros like Dallas, they can not give a fuck, get fired...go across the street and fill out an app.

My buddy coined the term "Country Whopper" to describe the phenomenon of fast food from rural locations being of far higher quality than its counterpart served in urban areas. The point you raised figures prominently in his theory, though there are a few others that I can't recall. 

• Like 2

I like the Hallmark Channel.  It took a while but I now realize that the scenes presented in the HC shows are pretty much my dreamworld. 

All the women are hot, the dudes are soft, simple and non-competitive, and I would rule the land.  If I lived in HC world I would be a combination of Steve Jobs, Wilt Chamberlain and Little Bill from Unforgiven.  It aint the Coen brothers and I usually fall asleep, but with the right perspective, I'm in.

Now that I can see the Hallmark Channell clearly, yes Mrs. CoTex, I would like to watch this show with you.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

This is my issue and why I mentioned they are so hit and miss these days. It's getting worse which is why I hardly go there any longer. I had an In N Out burger back in the summer and they cooked it perfectly. 

I’ve never eaten at a Texas In N Out where the food wasn’t completely disgusting. Its nothing like the ones in California. 

Edited by Helobious
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, CoTex said:

I like the Hallmark Channel.  It took a while but I now realize that the scenes presented in the HC shows are pretty much my dreamworld. 

All the women are hot, the dudes are soft, simple and non-competitive, and I would rule the land.  If I lived in HC world I would be a combination of Steve Jobs, Wilt Chamberlain and Little Bill from Unforgiven.  It aint the Coen brothers and I usually fall asleep, but with the right perspective, I'm in.

Now that I can see the Hallmark Channell clearly, yes Mrs. CoTex, I would like to watch this show with you.

Their censorship is ridiculous. They censor the word "butt."

14 hours ago, Your Mom said:

You must be a Vic sock. 

13 hours ago, CoTex said:

Username Kotex checks out.

• Like 1