Unpopular Opinions Thread

tokamak

I love the ocean but can’t stand the beach. I am currently on 7 mile beach on Grand Cayman, having only to pay for food but am bored out of my mind. The FIL, my wife, and my wife’s sister and her family love nothing more than hanging out at the beach. I can sit my ass in the sand for about 5 minutes but after that I want to go fish, hike, snorkel, walk, go out on a boat, anything, but they literally want to do nothing but wake up, go sit on the beach, eat lunch in the room, back to the beach, then shower for dinner. I can only do about 2-3 hours on the shore a day max, then I have to do something, anything else. Here it is even harder because there aren’t even waves to play around in.

This makes me the ungrateful asshole of the family because FIL paid for the trip, and this is something they all love to do. We did do a submarine tour yesterday which was really cool, but two of the nine in the group got seasick, which made me the asshole again for suggesting it.

Luckily my 7 year old is a lot like me, complaining of boredom, so if this stupid trip continues next year, I will plan fishing, golf and a visit to the caves for whoever wants to come. Fuck the rest of them if they don’t want to, me and him will have a blast, even if I have to charter an entire boat for just the two of us.

This is not my paradise, only where I eat lunch.

95f85dba60e89fab40af27925f8240c4.jpg

• Like 2

I love the ocean but can’t stand the beach. I am currently on 7 mile beach on Grand Cayman, having only to pay for food but am bored out of my mind. The FIL, my wife, and my wife’s sister and her family love nothing more than hanging out at the beach. I can sit my ass in the sand for about 5 minutes but after that I want to go fish, hike, snorkel, walk, go out on a boat, anything, but they literally want to do nothing but wake up, go sit on the beach, eat lunch in the room, back to the beach, then shower for dinner. I can only do about 2-3 hours on the shore a day max, then I have to do something, anything else. Here it is even harder because there aren’t even waves to play around in.

This makes me the ungrateful asshole of the family because FIL paid for the trip, and this is something they all love to do. We did do a submarine tour yesterday which was really cool, but two of the nine in the group got seasick, which made me the asshole again for suggesting it.

Luckily my 7 year old is a lot like me, complaining of boredom, so if this stupid trip continues next year, I will plan fishing, golf and a visit to the caves for whoever wants to come. Fuck the rest of them if they don’t want to, me and him will have a blast, even if I have to charter an entire boat for just the two of us.

This is our family to a T..both sides tho.

We go to the same hotel in Florida every year because its a guranteed view/balcony of the Atlantic...but the only time we go to beach is to take walks or stand in the water.

Other than that...its the hotel pool deck with beach chairs and no sand a few yards away

Ummmm....you know you can snorkel right there on 7 mile beach. You don’t have to go too far and you can see tons of stuff.
  • Like 1

I agree on the beach thing. My SIL always wants to go to a beach if we do a big family vacation. I'd rather go to an interesting city or go hike/bike the mountains somewhere.

I have still really enjoyed our trips to San Diego, but have no interest in going to somewhere like Florida to sit on the beach.

26 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Shit.....the most relaxing vacations I have ever had were going to Port Aransas for a week....popping up my canopy and lawn chair, cranking up the tunes, drinking beer and sticking my bare feet in the sand.

All day and all week.

Nothing better.

Is someone kneeling in front of your lawn chair? Because that would make it better.

I don’t like the beach either.

More generally, I don’t understand the point of vacations where you don’t do anything. Why would I pay good money to go sit somewhere else and do nothing? I can do that for free at home.

I want to go somewhere and see new scenery, visit historical sites, do things I can’t do back home.

• Like 1

More generally, I don’t understand the point of vacations where you don’t do anything. Why would I pay good money to go sit somewhere else and do nothing? I can do that for free at home.
I want to go somewhere and see new scenery, visit historical sites, do things I can’t do back home.
Because the weather is in the 80s and it beats being inside of some museum

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
19 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Because the weather is in the 80s and it beats being inside of some museum

I disagree on the museum. But, regardless, that still doesn’t answer why you wouldn’t just sit at home.

1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

I disagree on the museum. But, regardless, that still doesn’t answer why you wouldn’t just sit at home.

Because sitting in a lawn chair in the shade of a canopy with music and a cold beer, feet in the cool sand, a nice sea breeze, listening to the waves crash on the shore while watching babes in bikinis with the sound of sea gulls in the air without a cell phone ringing is very relaxing and good for the soul and the mind.

You should try it.

I have been on plenty of vacations where you are run around trying to see everything and when you get home you are completely worn out.

I prefer the relaxing vacation myself.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Because sitting in a lawn chair in the shade of a canopy with music and a cold beer, feet in the cool sand, a nice sea breeze, listening to the waves crash on the shore while watching babes in bikinis with the sound of sea gulls in the air without a cell phone ringing is very relaxing and good for the soul and the mind.

You should try it.

I have been on plenty of vacations where you are run around trying to see everything and when you get home you are completely worn out.

I prefer the relaxing vacation myself.

You had me at bikinis.

17 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Because the weather is better than where i live at that specific time of the year?

Why are we spelling this out for you?

I don’t know-that’s on you.

This is the unpopular opinion thread. It’s right there in the title. So my unpopular opinion that sitting on a beach doing nothing is a lousy vacation shouldn’t be particularly surprising.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2018 at 11:52 AM, formermav43 said:

Brother....?

4 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I would rather watch the TX HS 2A state championship game than the annual bore fest that is Army - Navy.

Agreed. The actual game on the field is terrible. I know that isn't what the game is all about but still. It's about as entertaining on the field as if Tulsa played Tulane.